Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,321 members, 7,954,293 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 04:09 PM

Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor - Celebrities (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor (60133 Views)

Nollywood Actors And Their Wives (Photos) / E-X-P-O-S-E-D: All Nigerian Actresses Are Lesbians / Ghanaian Actresses Are Hotter Than Nigerian Actresses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by moondust(m): 12:48pm On Apr 05, 2007
I saw a very popular Nigerian actor recently at my mechanic's workshop and he was looking a bit shabby and was askin me 4 a ride 2 his street what image does dat leave of Nigerian actors and Actresses?
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by Ndipe(m): 2:52am On Apr 06, 2007
Chei, some Nigerians never change. Always measuring up people's status by their appearances.
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by ini1990: 9:38pm On May 16, 2007
its not about affording to live in the most expensive places and driving posh cars its all about living comfortably evryone has responsibilities and so they gotta live according to the economic situation and according to individual choices. is dere anyone dat feels i am making sense.
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by yongbabe(f): 10:15am On Aug 30, 2007
@ topic.
no they r not!!!
an average nigerian star does more than 5- 10 movies per month.
if the actor colects 100,000 naira that would mean that he makes 500,000-1000,000 per month.
and dont forget there are those that erm up 2 1 millon per movie.
9ja actors are not poor but, they should be more comfortable than they are.
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by Young15(m): 8:59pm On Aug 30, 2007
lol i saw emeka ike in the airpot looking shabby and ashy as hell, rockin fake D&G. and rita dominic saw her in abuja is some beaten up old school benz she too was shabby as hell !!!! what a shame
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by Nobella(f): 3:16am On Aug 31, 2007
Hmmmmmm, and here I was thinking they earn real good given how quickly they have to deliver such great work.
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by ritchboi: 1:19pm On Aug 31, 2007
wel. . . . .i wont say they r poor,but they should b more comfortable than they r,as should our musicians.
I saw essence on a bike in ajao estate lookin like a refugee from liberia,i almost broke down in tears
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by Ndipe(m): 11:35am On Sep 04, 2007
I would rather make 100 thousand dollars annually, and live in San Jose, California, than to make 2 million Naira and live in Nigeria. Even after paying rent for a very nice apartment in San Jose, lets say for 1600, for two bedroom, I can still set aside some money for a rainy day after spending some on groceries, gas, and other bills in Yankee.
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by hotfarams(f): 9:40pm On Sep 05, 2007
What about Ramsey Nopuah, is he considered rich and does he live in his own house in a decent area in Nigeria? From all the hallow balloo about him, he must be. I await a response on this.
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by hotfarams(f): 9:43pm On Sep 05, 2007
What about Ramsey Nopuah, is he considered rich and does he live in his own house in a decent area in Nigeria? From all the hallow balloo about him, he must be. I await a response on this.
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by yongbabe(f): 9:34pm On Sep 07, 2007
in Genny's intreveiw, it was said that she lived in an eye popin mansion on victoria island.
and a lot of the other stars have very very flsshy cars.
and most of them dont do anything apart from actin.
so where do they get their money from??

Ndipe:

I would rather make 100 thousand dollars annually, and live in San Jose, California, than to make 2 million Naira and live in Nigeria. Even after paying rent for a very nice apartment in San Jose, lets say for 1600, for two bedroom, I can still set aside some money for a rainy day after spending some on groceries, gas, and other bills in Yankee.

u dont know what ur talkin about.
2 million naira anually in 9ja n u will live very very comfotably.
in 9ja lets say u rent a house in a ey comfortable are 4 ( i know it wont be up to) 1 million.
with only 1 million naira left u will live like a king.
how much they dey sell groceries abeg u no know wetin u dey talk.
with all the bills they charge in the states.
gas, phone, internet, light, water, tv, etc.

hotfarams:

What about Ramsey Nouah, is he considered rich and does he live in his own house in a decent area in Nigeria? From all the hallow balloo about him, he must be. I await a response on this.

abi o
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by yongbabe(f): 9:36pm On Sep 07, 2007
Ndipe:

1600 4 an apartment for how long?
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by Ndipe(m): 11:53pm On Sep 07, 2007
Well, someone wrote earlier that rents in Victoria Island command about 3 million Naira, so, if I was making 2 million Naira in Nigeria, then VI would not be on my list. In San Jose, I can easily net a 2 bedroom unit in a very nice part of San Jose, or even move to Atlanta, where the rents are cheaper, and live comfortably with 100k. Will I get running water 24/7, constant electricity, etc?
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by ritchboi: 12:09am On Sep 08, 2007
@ndipe
u seem a lil confused,100k dolls is about 12.7 milion naira,wit dat u could aford d 3milion crib in vgc,v.i,ikoyi bla bla bla. . .
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by Ndipe(m): 10:32am On Sep 09, 2007
Ritchboy, I am not going to trade barbs with you, but would advise you to read thoroughly before contributing your opinion on this topic, as well as others. A respondent wrote that 2 million Naira was of greater value, in Nigeria, than 100k, and I disagreed. Our debate was on the relative value/worth of a particular currency in their locale, (that is the worth of Naira in Nigeria, vs the value of Dollar in America), not the value of the dollar in Nigeria. Now, if I was given the option of earning 100k in America, or its equivalent in Nigeria, I would choose the latter.
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by ritchboi: 11:29am On Sep 09, 2007
0,i didnt hav time 2 read tru the whole tingy cos i wuz on my mobile,my bad
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by mafolayomi(f): 11:27am On Sep 12, 2007
But come o what exactly is our prob in this part of the world why do we like condemning our own things Nollywood actors/actresses are poor how poor are they? and what is yr own defination for been poor? this pple are doing just too good in their own field at east they do not beg for food do they? you said they cannotafford to live in vgc etc must every wealthy ones live in vgc tell me now cash madam/man?
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by yongbabe(f): 9:18pm On Sep 12, 2007
mafolayomi:

But come o what exactly is our prob in this part of the world why do we like condemning our own things Nollywood actors/actresses are poor how poor are they? and what is yr own defination for been poor? this people are doing just too good in their own field at east they do not beg for food do they? you said they cannotafford to live in vgc etc must every wealthy ones live in vgc tell me now cash madam/man?

na soo.
we r Nigerians na we condem 9ja pass.
nigerian actresses r not poor not even close.

Ndipe:

Well, someone wrote earlier that rents in Victoria Island command about 3 million Naira, so, if I was making 2 million Naira in Nigeria, then VI would not be on my list. In San Jose, I can easily net a 2 bedroom unit in a very nice part of San Jose, or even move to Atlanta, where the rents are cheaper, and live comfortably with 100k. Will I get running water 24/7, constant electricity, etc?

i didnt say the person had 2 leave in VI.
n so u addmit that Genny n other nollywood stars have 2 be makin a lot in other 2 own houses in VI.
n VI is not the only comfortable place in 9ja. there r lots of good places in Abuja n Lagos.
how much do they sell groceries in 9ja??
how much do they sell generator?
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by ritchboi: 9:40pm On Sep 12, 2007
generatorrr?
by d time u buy diesel @ #95 4 1 litre,hehn!
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by Gracito(f): 4:58pm On May 24, 2009
I dont think it is true.Anyway,hi guys(ieanyone on line),am new here.can u tell me how to start a thread.plsssssssssssssssssssssssssss .I dont know
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by MrCrackles(m): 4:59pm On May 24, 2009
Topic

OK!
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by Gracito(f): 8:08pm On May 27, 2009
Abeg,pls teach me.Iget i fine thread i wan start cool
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by NickJ(m): 8:40pm On Apr 22, 2011
Dats life, aint meant 2 be easy
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by Dsense(m): 8:53pm On Apr 22, 2011
@Topic,
I supposed things have changed totally . . .Actors and actresses are super rich these days cheesy
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by THEAMAKA(f): 4:22am On Apr 23, 2011
@topic
they don't make that much money, especially when you're just starting out as a supporting actor or actress. most people have to be acting for at least 5 years before they start moving up the ladder.
Genny, Omo, and most of the Glo Ambassadors are amongst the highest paid in Nollywood. As of 2009, I believe Genevieve makes around 2 - 2.5 million naira per role, which equals around $13,000-$15,000. not bad, but if Nollywood would focus more on quality movies, and stop releasing their 900 movies annually, more actors would be able to make more as there will be more focus on quality, which means quality actors and actress.
our biggest stars should be making AT LEAST $75,000 per role, but sadly, thats not the case.
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by 3RNEST(m): 9:13pm On Apr 26, 2011
>>@DSense, indeed things has change, imagine this thread since 2006, undecided
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by chiefbatiatus(m): 12:00pm On Feb 21, 2013
grafikdon:

Man, you deserve a bag full of coconut for that, couldn't have said it better. One does not have to live in a golden castle to to prove they are Rick. Chris Rock drives a Nissan Altima and you can't call him poor nor broke, he's just wise. Same thing applies to Nollywwod actors. Anybody who makes above 2 million per year in Nigeria in is rich and I can break it  down if you're confused. With that said, in the hands of an irresponsible buffon, that money wouldn't  last.

That Nollywood is making millions of dollars is not a claim, it is a fact . Do you honestly believe that the marketers are disclosing the full sale figures? If you believe that then you've  got serious problems. Most of them complain about poor sales and selling only 10,000 copies which does not even cover the production cost. Now tell me what type of crack head marketer will make 100 films in one week when they can't even recoup their production capital. A naija man at that? Tufiakwa! This is just as impossible as a hairy lizard. About Nollywood acotrs driving expensive brand new Hummer, well, most of us in the USA know that you don't have to be rich to drive a Hummer, an average joe can make a down payment on a Hummer and there goes your so called 'expensive' SUV in the hands of the commoin man so what's the big deal. If they bought 'Tokunbo' at least they paid cash and not some lease bullsh-i-t. Still gotta give them props.

The shocking truth is ALL the marketers disclose only about 10/20 percent of the sales and if they want to be modest, they disclose 40% and then shoot themselves in the head for being that 'stupid'. Before you tear me down, hear me out. I have been there and that means I have proof and experience to back up my statement. The government should swoop down on them together with the pirates 'cause they are both ruining the industry. Nigerian actors stepping up and taking their skills to the next level is another topic for another day.

When you bring into factor the amount of money generated at home and the amount from the Pirates of the Caribb, I mean Diaspora, yes, Nollywood is making millions and a lot of Nollywood actors are rich beyond imagination as far as Naija is concerned unless you want to use USA as your yard stick in which case I will ask you to see a shrink becasue the average Nigerian does not pay $400.00 a month on a very crappy studio apartmen nor $1200.00 a month on another aged and washed out two bedroom apartment. Truth is that anyone who makes $2Million in Naija annually is a lot more comfortable than he who makes $100.000 per anum in the USA,, you better believe that.

Just to say thank u for the educative annd candid assessment which is getting less and less common nowadays as so many jambites have taken over NL. Please Oga Seun do more to encourage people that provide this kind of discourse. Thank u

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Onyeka Onwenu At Wesley College, Massachusetts, USA, 1975 (Throwback Photo) / Duncan Mighty’s New Look Sparks Reactions (Photos) / E-money Buys His Wife A Range Rover Super Sport (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.