Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,633 members, 7,820,225 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:47 AM

21bn LNG Scam: FBI Storm Abuja - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 21bn LNG Scam: FBI Storm Abuja (7180 Views)

Aisha Buhari Unveils LNG-ABUJA11 Vessel In South Korea(pics) / Chevron, Shell Pull Out Of Olokola LNG Project / Niger-Delta Militants Storm Abuja For Inclusion In Amnesty Programme (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

21bn LNG Scam: FBI Storm Abuja by cold(m): 1:12pm On Sep 12, 2008
By Ike Nnamdi
The Sun Reporter, New York
Friday, September 12, 2008

Agents of the elite American Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) are on their way to Abuja on the trail of several former top Nigerian officials implicated in a multi-billion dollar scam at the Liquified Natural Gas project.

The agents, dispatched by the Justice Department are to gather more evidence, as well as probe into assets of the affected officials to be used in their impending trial.
All the officials served in three previous administrations from 1994 to 2004.

Washington said the agents will also provide "the smoking gun evidence" to officials of the Nigerian Ministry of Justice to sign off on a proposal to try all the officials in American courts.
Already, the administration has prepared grounds for the trial by approving for the case to be tried in the US District Court of Houston, Texas.

Court records showed that the officials whose names remain sealed until the case begins, allegedly connived with foreign businessmen to siphon over N21 billion set aside for the LNG project.
Already the alleged mastermind of the scam, American businessman, Jack Stanley, has been jailed for the crime, but has pledged to cooperate with investigators for a reduction in his sentence.
"This act reached up to the highest levels of the Nigerian government, but all those involved will be brought to trial," an official stated.

But the State Department has expressed scepticism that Nigerian officials will allow the affected officials to be tried in the US. "We hope the Nigerian authorities will cooperate with us to investigate this matter and bring it to a satisfactory conclusion. This will show the government is serious about its war on corruption.”

http://sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2008/sept/12/national-12-09-2008-001.htm
Re: 21bn LNG Scam: FBI Storm Abuja by ono(m): 1:34pm On Sep 12, 2008
You can rest assured that none of those Naija officials will leave the shores of Nigeria. . . . even with the ''smoking bazooka evidence'' of the FBI behind their head.

It will just come and go, and I'm sure the FBI guys are in for the suprise of their life. No one in Naija will release any useful information to them. And even if anyone of them release anything, it will be useless to the FBI.

No be Naija we dey? Na today?
Re: 21bn LNG Scam: FBI Storm Abuja by ssRhino: 1:44pm On Sep 12, 2008
This is great and i will be happy if they could be tried in the USA, let them face real court for once and be jailed.
How come the EFCC never knew nothing about this one, but they cld be on the tail of some shadow.
Re: 21bn LNG Scam: FBI Storm Abuja by Afam(m): 2:04pm On Sep 12, 2008
Crimes committed in Nigeria should be tried in Nigeria. Nigeria is not a part of the US.

FBI my foot, the same US that does everything possible to prevent any US soldier from being tried for even crimes that are well documented is presenting a proposal to Nigeria to allow them try Nigerians in the US.

How about Nigeria sending a proposal to the US to allow Nigeria try all the corrupt Americans that engage in all sorts of scams or 419 deals with their Nigerian partners instead of playing the victim game?
Re: 21bn LNG Scam: FBI Storm Abuja by BigB11(m): 2:28pm On Sep 12, 2008
First, I'm not trying to condone this despicable behavior; but once we allow these folks to be tried in United states, it means we've just sold ourselves again for a very cheap price.
We must think about ordinary Nigerians that work very hard everyday to make ends meet. We must never sell our pride and the cachet of our great nation cheaply, just because of few bad fruits.

We must think about the future; hence, I agree with AFAM, Crimes committed in Nigeria must be tried in Nigeria and absolutely not in USA; Nigeria is not a part of the USA.

It is the right thing to do!
Re: 21bn LNG Scam: FBI Storm Abuja by dudubobo1: 2:54pm On Sep 12, 2008
I have to agree with BigB and Afam.
Why should America try our criminals for us? Yes, we agree that our system is inadequate but why should America do our things for us? If they have any evidence, they should come out with it and submit to the Ministry of Justice to deal with such.

It's true about America protecting it's soldiers from proper trials with regards to the nonsense they have been doing in Iraq. If they protect their own soldiers, they have no moral justification for expecting any other nation not to protect it's own as well
Re: 21bn LNG Scam: FBI Storm Abuja by vigasimple(m): 2:55pm On Sep 12, 2008
Afam:

Crimes committed in Nigeria should be tried in Nigeria. Nigeria is not a part of the US.

FBI my foot, the same US that does everything possible to prevent any US soldier to be tried for even crimes that are well documented is presenting a proposal to Nigeria to allow them try Nigerians in the US.

What about Nigeria sending a proposal to the US to allow Nigeria try all the corrupt Americans that engage in all sorts of scams or 419 deals with their Nigerian partners instead of playing the victim game?

The above is a valid points. Americans may be advanced even in their judicial system but very doubtful in their intergrity and morals. They have one law for their own citizen and another for foreigners.

If they come and expose those corrupt people and leave us to prosecute them.

The only other twist is that some of the corrupt people might actually prefer or elect (if that is an option)  to be tried and got to a plush prison in america.( life is funny and anything can happen).

We are all sinners and we should have leaders to admit it and start afresh, find where all our monies have been taken to , grant one time amnesty and get our monies back and start afresh.

Thereafter it should be a very strict laws and penalty for corruption.
Re: 21bn LNG Scam: FBI Storm Abuja by showbobo(m): 3:07pm On Sep 12, 2008
Na today. . .
Re: 21bn LNG Scam: FBI Storm Abuja by skyone(m): 3:20pm On Sep 12, 2008
dudu-bobo:

I have to agree with BigB and Afam.
Why should America try our criminals for us?
It's because our Judicairy encourages criminals

Big B1:

First, I'm not trying to condone this despicable behavior; but once we allow these folks to be tried in United states, it means we've just sold ourselves again for a very cheap price.
We must think about ordinary Nigerians that work very hard everyday to make ends meet. We must never sell our pride and the cachet of our great nation cheaply, just because of few bad fruits.

The Nigerian that got himself or herself in the alledge scam has caused enough disgraced to our nation. How would you feel if a boy from your next neighbor bumped into your house, slap one of your kids and ran away with a handfull of money while laughing at you. I'm sure you will react and take necessary steps.

Lets pray for good leadership.
Re: 21bn LNG Scam: FBI Storm Abuja by vicero(m): 3:36pm On Sep 12, 2008
Est-ce que vous jamais pouvez croire ce que le papier de nouvelles de soleil doit dire.? et en plus si FBI est même dans Nigéria, c'est le goverment qui sont incompétent et soldant indirectement notre nation.
Re: 21bn LNG Scam: FBI Storm Abuja by skyone(m): 3:43pm On Sep 12, 2008
vicero:

Est-ce que vous jamais pouvez croire ce que le papier de nouvelles de soleil doit dire.? et en plus si FBI est même dans Nigéria, c'est le goverment qui sont incompétent et soldant indirectement notre nation.

Ede buruku wo ni gbogbo ele yi abi na who tell you say na francei we they take yern for here. omo lo jo ko jo.
Re: 21bn LNG Scam: FBI Storm Abuja by dudubobo1: 3:44pm On Sep 12, 2008
skyone:

It's because our Judicairy encourages criminals

Lets pray for good leadership.

I cant say you are wrong but America does not have the right to decide what's a criminal act for us. Each nation decides what criminal and what's not
Re: 21bn LNG Scam: FBI Storm Abuja by dudubobo1: 3:47pm On Sep 12, 2008
vicero:

La Police judiciaire fédérale n'est pas une organisation nigériane et ils doivent rester en leur pays. C'est mauvais pour eux imposer leur volonté sur nous. Serez-vous heureux pour un autre homme de venir et le mari de votre femme parce que votre femme est dit que vous n'êtes pas assez bon ?
Re: 21bn LNG Scam: FBI Storm Abuja by bawomolo(m): 3:49pm On Sep 12, 2008
wetin vicero dey yarn, this is nairaland and not francland

dudu-bobo:

I can't say you are wrong but America does not have the right to decide what's a criminal act for us. Each nation decides what criminal and what's not

they should be tried in the US if the alleged plot to siphon the money was conducted in the US.   under international laws accepted by both the US and nigeria, this sure looks like a criminal act.  who says these thugs won't get away with some 6month sentence and insignificant fine in nigeria anyway.  maybe the threat of US prosecution would put fear in the minds of these animals.
Re: 21bn LNG Scam: FBI Storm Abuja by hbrednic: 3:50pm On Sep 12, 2008
nigerian criminals should be tried in nigeria,even the so-called american counterpart should be bring
down to serve in kirikiri cause he committed a crime against the nation(nigeria).
somebody should inform the FBI to bring along the loot ( dfntly hidden in one US account)while coming down.
Re: 21bn LNG Scam: FBI Storm Abuja by alex406(m): 3:52pm On Sep 12, 2008
Proposing to get more information will be more harmful to our people,lets be realistic do you guys think they cannot succeed with their findings? Lets wait and see if some Nigerians will be faithful enough by hiding information from them rather than collecting bribe to reveal the truth.
Re: 21bn LNG Scam: FBI Storm Abuja by nzeaji(m): 3:52pm On Sep 12, 2008
dudu-bobo:

La Police judiciaire fédérale n'est pas une organisation Nigeriaériane et ils doivent rester en leur pays. C'est mauvais pour eux imposer leur volonté sur nous. Serez-vous heureux pour un autre homme de venir et le mari de votre femme parce que votre femme est dit que vous n'êtes pas assez bon ?

@ skyone
this is what vicero means.

You never can believe what the paper of sun news must say.? and in more if FBI is even in Nigeria, it is goverment which are inefficient and balancing our nation indirectly.
Re: 21bn LNG Scam: FBI Storm Abuja by skyone(m): 3:55pm On Sep 12, 2008
dudu-bobo:

I can't say you are wrong but America does not have the right to decide what's a criminal act for us. Each nation decides what criminal and what's not

They are not deciding what to do in our judicial system but structuring a process of investigation since our so called EFCC didn't even have a clue of what went wrong.
Re: 21bn LNG Scam: FBI Storm Abuja by nzeaji(m): 3:56pm On Sep 12, 2008
nzeaji:

@ skyone
this is what vicero means.

You never can believe what the paper of sun news must say.? and in more if FBI is even in Nigeria, it is goverment which are inefficient and balancing our nation indirectly.

The federal Criminal Investigation Department is not an organization Nigeriaériane and they must remain in their country. They is bad them to impose their will on us. Will you be happy for another man to come and the husband from your wife because your wife is known as that you are not good enough?
Re: 21bn LNG Scam: FBI Storm Abuja by cold(m): 3:57pm On Sep 12, 2008
alex406:

Proposing to get more information will be more harmful to our people,lets be realistic do you guys think they cannot succeed with their findings? Lets wait and see if some Nigerians will be faithful enough by hiding information from them rather than collecting bribe to reveal the truth.

I don't understand,are u sayin it is okay to conceal the truth?For whose benefit?
Re: 21bn LNG Scam: FBI Storm Abuja by alex406(m): 3:58pm On Sep 12, 2008
Shit happens everywhere but why is Nigerian shits always smelling high?
Re: 21bn LNG Scam: FBI Storm Abuja by hbrednic: 3:58pm On Sep 12, 2008
alex406:

Proposing to get more information will be more harmful to our people,lets be realistic do you guys think they cannot succeed with their findings? Lets wait and see if some Nigerians will be faithful enough by hiding information from them[b] rather than collecting bribe to reveal the truth[/b].

did i hear you say BRIBE?
you mean the FBI will be committing crime upon crime just to get infor.
Re: 21bn LNG Scam: FBI Storm Abuja by mekk(m): 3:58pm On Sep 12, 2008
Big B1:

We must think about the future; hence, I agree with AFAM, Crimes committed in Nigeria must be tried in Nigeria and absolutely not in USA; Nigeria is not a part of the USA.

It is the right thing to do!

let the Bastards go and answer for their goddamn crime. it doesn't matter anymore where.

what matters most is justice.If we can be guaranteed of justice in the US Judicial system(which i'm sure we will)
so be it.NO FUSS!

If U want to think of the Future then you must first deal with these criminals.Period!
Re: 21bn LNG Scam: FBI Storm Abuja by BigB11(m): 4:00pm On Sep 12, 2008
The Nigerian that got himself or herself in the alledge scam has caused enough disgraced to our nation. How would you feel if a boy from your next neighbor bumped into your house, slap one of your kids and ran away with a handfull of money while laughing at you. I'm sure you will react and take necessary steps.

Obviously, you did not catch it.

There is no-one here trying to justify the behavior of these criminals and absolutely, no-one is asking for them to go free. All we are saying here is to use our head and not jeopardize the security and cachet of our nation all because of these few despicable entities.

Nigeria is still our country and this country still has very large number of incredible citizens, who continue to do great things on a regular all around the world. We must not compromise the pride of these great citizens.
If you allow America to proceed with this operation, I can assure you that it would further reduce our already low stamina as a nation around the world and the innocent citizens would be the ones to pay.

You do not sink the ship just because you have few retarded passengers on board

That's all.

FYI: Also keep in mind that once United States gets away with this operation, South Africa and Malawi and Mali and Togo and Ghana and Haiti and England and Mexico and China and many many other countries will join the group and will be willing to implement the same strategy against Nigerians in Nigeria.
At the end of the day, Nigeria as a nation will become a total joke. And who will be the loser?

Our country will get the respect we desire as soon as we (Nigerians) start embracing, protecting and respecting ourselves and our WEAK constitution.
Re: 21bn LNG Scam: FBI Storm Abuja by alex406(m): 4:01pm On Sep 12, 2008
hbrednic:

did i hear you say BRIBE?
you mean the FBI will be committing crime upon crime just to get infor.
My guy you should reason with me,crime is everywhere,they can do all it takes to get what they want.
Re: 21bn LNG Scam: FBI Storm Abuja by hbrednic: 4:02pm On Sep 12, 2008
mekk:

let the Bastards go and answer for their goddamn crime. it doesn't matter anymore where.

what matters most is justice.If we can be guaranteed of justice in the US Judicial system(which i'm sure we will)
so be it.NO FUSS!

If You want to think of the Future then you must first deal with these criminals.Period!

NIGERIANS SOVERIGNTY WILL NEVER BE NEGOCIATED
Re: 21bn LNG Scam: FBI Storm Abuja by akinlade11: 4:02pm On Sep 12, 2008
mumu people na so dem think say nija people stupid reach?wu go tell dem aw money take miss.Abeg make dem chop small apu+bonga fish before dem go,dem fit meet me make i organize some opio 4 dem to use jolly their abunna.
Re: 21bn LNG Scam: FBI Storm Abuja by Nobody: 4:05pm On Sep 12, 2008
All Nigerians are corrupt. cool
Re: 21bn LNG Scam: FBI Storm Abuja by hbrednic: 4:07pm On Sep 12, 2008
alex406:

My guy you should reason with me,crime is everywhere,they can do all it takes to get what they want.

yes they can do all it takes,but using illegal means (bribry) to collect information must be out the question.
Re: 21bn LNG Scam: FBI Storm Abuja by Nobody: 4:10pm On Sep 12, 2008
Those idiots should be taken to anywhere in the world and be tried immediately, since Yaradua and Nigeria has purposely refused to do anything about the judicial system.
Re: 21bn LNG Scam: FBI Storm Abuja by cold(m): 4:10pm On Sep 12, 2008
mekk:

so be it.NO FUSS!

If You want to think of the Future then you must first deal with these criminals.Period!

U hav a point there.Save for national pride which Nigerians are well known for i don't see any rzn y they shldn't b tried in the States.But then there are procedures.If the Agency is able to establish a prima facie case,then they'd hav to apply for the officials to be extradited to the USA in a Nigerian court & if the verdict goes in their favor then the officials can b flown ova there.Anythin short of this will only amt to an exercise in futility.
Re: 21bn LNG Scam: FBI Storm Abuja by bawomolo(m): 4:10pm On Sep 12, 2008
Our country will get the respect we desire as soon as we (Nigerians) start embracing, protecting and respecting ourselves and our WEAK constitution.

this is nothing but blind and moronic patriotism,  thugs don't deserve any protection.   if the crime was committed in the US then they should be prosecuted in the US and end up like the likes of dan ryan and co.  why should the US trust a country with a "WEAK" constitution.  

FYI: nigeria is already a punchline used by obama, the georgian president and heck even the professor of a geography class i once took  etc.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Future Of Niger-delta "republic"-n-delta Ministry Marginalises Us / Can You Believe This Car Is In "Almighty" USA / The Concept Of Politics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.