Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,634 members, 7,809,379 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:30 AM

My Neighbors Mother-in-law - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / My Neighbors Mother-in-law (3827 Views)

Nigerian Mother In Law Could Be Trying To Break Up My Marriage / Is It A Taboo To Marry Your Sister-in-law / Will You Allow Your Mother-in-law Live With You? - Funny Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Neighbors Mother-in-law by sistawoman: 6:16pm On Sep 12, 2008
My neigbors mother-in-law is coming from Nigeria next week. I have tried to teach her some simple greetings but she refuses to learn yoruba. I have also told her that she will need to kneel in front of her mother-in-law when comes to show respect. She refuses.

I am respectful and will show her her due respect but my question is: By me kneeling and greeting her in her language is that showing disrespect to my neighbor, who is also my friend? How will the mother-in-law view this behavior from me? I dont want to look like a fool?

Any suggestions. I dont want any embarrasment to fall on my husband's shoulders because his wife did not show respect to her. If that makes any sense to you.
Re: My Neighbors Mother-in-law by spikedcylinder: 6:53pm On Sep 12, 2008
If you neighbor refuses to kneel, I think she might feel slighted that you went ahead and knelt.
Re: My Neighbors Mother-in-law by sistawoman: 7:55pm On Sep 12, 2008
But in me not kneeling for will that show disrespect?
Re: My Neighbors Mother-in-law by Cayon(f): 12:11am On Sep 13, 2008
I myself is having a hard time with the customs and culture of Nigerians but your request is rather silly and beyond me. You kneel before God not man, woman or child.
Re: My Neighbors Mother-in-law by theopops: 4:39am On Sep 13, 2008
Cayon, what you don't know, you ask. It might seem silly to you, but that's the culture. Kneeling is not for worship, but a sign of respect for the Yoruba people. No one forces you to go on your knees and believe me, if you don't kneel, no thunder will strike you. Just needed to clarify that for you. Thanks.

Sistawoman, if you want to go ahead and kneel for your neighbor's MIL, go ahead and do so. If your neighbor's wife doesn't feel comfy doing so, no problem. Not everyone is comfortable going on their knees. It comes pretty easy for me, because I have done it for the past 28yrs of my life. So go ahead and be free.
Re: My Neighbors Mother-in-law by iceland(m): 7:46am On Sep 13, 2008
Cayon:

I myself is having a hard time with the customs and culture of Nigerians but your request is rather silly and beyond me. You kneel before God not man, woman or child.
I dont see anything silly in her request.May be you are.Ask what you dont know especially when it comes to other's culture.

sistawoman:

But in me not kneeling for will that show disrespect?

well, I have been wondering,are you to married to a Nigerian?Although you did not mention that to me.You seems to know a lot about us.No wahala,go ahead and kneel for whoever you want to kneel to.it's an act of respect in our culture.It's like a normal greeting to the elderly.If She does not want to do it that's her wahala grin grin
Re: My Neighbors Mother-in-law by timbabng(m): 2:07pm On Sep 13, 2008
if she wont kneel down , fine, just go ahead and do your thing
Re: My Neighbors Mother-in-law by Cayon(f): 2:48pm On Sep 13, 2008
theopops:

Cayon, what you don't know, you ask. It might seem silly to you, but that's the culture. Kneeling is not for worship, but a sign of respect for the Yoruba people. No one forces you to go on your knees and believe me, if you don't kneel, no thunder will strike you. Just needed to clarify that for you. Thanks.
oops, sorry I didn't know its a cultural thing. But I still stand by what I said before. You bow down before God not man

timba_bng:

if she wont kneel down , fine, just go ahead and do your thing
Attah boy, i share your sentiments
Re: My Neighbors Mother-in-law by oziomatv(m): 3:13pm On Sep 13, 2008
I think the mother in-law should be a little bit considerate in observing that she's not a Yoruba, on like my on tribe we don't knew down in greetings but we don't especially (the female) offer hand shake first to who is older than you.
Let the son educate his mother by letting her know that we're from a different cultures.
Re: My Neighbors Mother-in-law by bettes(f): 3:48pm On Sep 13, 2008
If you kneel and your neighbour doesnt it might make her look bad in front of her mother-in-law,but i dont see anything wrong with greeting her in language though.
Re: My Neighbors Mother-in-law by Outstrip(f): 9:12pm On Sep 13, 2008
I noticed that my response to this thread was removed. So who moved it.
Re: My Neighbors Mother-in-law by Ndipe(m): 10:03pm On Sep 13, 2008
What's up with all these tradition/customs of kneeling down? So, you are even dictating to your neighbor to be subservient to her mother inlaw? As long as the two women have a cordial relationship, kneeling down is definitely out of the context. Or which would you prefer, a subservient daughter inlaw who detests you privately, or a daughter inlaw who can relate to you while still retaining respect for you. Leave the woman alone!
Re: My Neighbors Mother-in-law by Arnold1(m): 11:23pm On Sep 13, 2008

What's up with all these tradition/customs of kneeling down? So, you are even dictating to your neighbor to be subservient to her mother inlaw? As long as the two women have a cordial relationship, kneeling down is definitely out of the context. Or which would you prefer, a subservient daughter inlaw who detests you privately, or a daughter inlaw who can relate to you while still retaining respect for you. Leave the woman alone!

Women kneeling down is by no means being subservient; it's just a sign of respect for the elders in yoruba land. If you are
ignorant of other people's culture, don't bother responding to a thread regarding other people's culture.
Re: My Neighbors Mother-in-law by Ndipe(m): 11:29pm On Sep 13, 2008
I'D have to@arnold, because there is no way I will sanction the idea of a woman kneeling down as a 'sign of respect' to another person. Out with that, this is modernity, and if you are tolerant of such culture, you might as well support the scarification of baby's face for tribal marks in the name of culture.
Re: My Neighbors Mother-in-law by Arnold1(m): 11:44pm On Sep 13, 2008
Ndipe:

I'D have to@arnold, because there is no I will sanction the idea of a woman kneeling down as a 'sign of respect' to another person.

Who's asking you to sanction anything here

Ndipe:

you might as well support the scarification of baby's face for tribal marks in the name of culture.

Now you are bringing tribal marks into this. Like I said earlier, you have no business responding to a thread of this nature.

If you don't subscribe to the idea of people kneeling down as some do in their culture, tough luck.

The people that practice this are fine with their tradition and could care less what your opinion about this is.

The thread starter didn't say anyone forced her to kneel down. She is doing it on her own will.

I hope you read that part of her post.
Re: My Neighbors Mother-in-law by theopops: 12:02am On Sep 14, 2008
Ndipe, with every culture, there are the good and the bad. The best you can do, is pick the good ones. I am a Yoruba girl and I love, love going on my knees to greet my elders. I remember when I got to the States, I used to bend my knees when I gave things to people. Yes, I got the weird looks, but did it bother me? No way. Lets try to respect other people's culture. Thanks, Bro.

Sistawoman, do you.
Re: My Neighbors Mother-in-law by Ndipe(m): 12:29am On Sep 14, 2008
@arnold, even if it is part of your culture, but a non native is not comfortable with it, do you have to force it down their throat? Read what sistawoman wrote. " I have tried to teach her some simple greetings but she refuses to learn yoruba. (na by force)? I have also told her that she will need to kneel in front of her mother-in-law (why?)when comes to show respect. She refuses.
Re: My Neighbors Mother-in-law by Arnold1(m): 12:44am On Sep 14, 2008
Ndipe:

@arnold, even if it is part of your culture, but a non native is not comfortable with it, do you have to force it down their throat?

Read what sistawoman wrote. " I have tried to teach her some simple greetings but she refuses to learn yoruba. (na by force)? I have also told her that she will need to kneel in front of her mother-in-law (why?)when comes to show respect. She refuses.

Sistawoman is a black american woman asking another black american woman to kneel down. They are both married to
Nigerian men and the Nigerian men are not forcing anything down their throats.

Again, sistawoman is kneeling down at her own will and is asking her fellow american to respect the tradition. It is not
by force or anything. She is speaking on her own behalf.

You have taken this thread and completely twisted it out of its original context.

I tire for una Nigerians.
Re: My Neighbors Mother-in-law by timbabng(m): 4:54pm On Sep 15, 2008
. . . .abi o o . Na so them dey do
Re: My Neighbors Mother-in-law by sistawoman: 7:13pm On Sep 15, 2008
I don't see what I am doing with my neighbor/friend to be forcing her but more along the lines of encouraging her. Her marriage is in big, big trouble and I am really trying to get her to see that this opportunity with her MIL is one in which she can build a good r/s thus helping with her marriage.

But her reluctance to do anything African is probally why her marriage is falling apart right now.
Re: My Neighbors Mother-in-law by Ndipe(m): 9:55pm On Sep 15, 2008
Sistawoman, butt out of your neighbor's marital problems. Have you not heard of the saying, "three is a crowd"?
Re: My Neighbors Mother-in-law by Queenisha: 10:05pm On Sep 15, 2008
Ndipe:

Sistawoman, butt out of your neighbor's marital problems. Have you not heard of the saying, "three is a crowd"?

Exactly.
Sistawoman can kneel, prostrate, wear waist beads and dance owigiri to the neighbors mother in law to emphasize culture
that doesn't mean anyone should join her.
Re: My Neighbors Mother-in-law by rampagain: 12:08pm On Sep 16, 2008
Ndipe:

d woman never minds her business

if i were u sistawoman i will take ndipes advise and mind ur business,leave ur neighbours marital problem alone,u r married face ur hubby and leave other pple alone
Re: My Neighbors Mother-in-law by sistawoman: 4:56pm On Sep 16, 2008
Well the mother-in-law is here and my neighbor took my advice and greeted the mother-in-law properly. She even came to me last night asking for a few words in yoruba to great her MIL this morning.

The MIL came at just the right time and will be here until December. this maybe just what they need to heal thier marriage. It feels my heart to see her husband at home more, to see him being loving toward his wife. She in turn is trying to learn the languague and even made egusi (sp) soup with us last night.
Re: My Neighbors Mother-in-law by Ndipe(m): 6:55pm On Sep 16, 2008
Sistawoman, honestly, you get time for your hands since you feel it in "my heart to see her husband at home more, to see him being loving toward his wife".
Re: My Neighbors Mother-in-law by kiwi992(m): 8:35pm On Sep 16, 2008
Hey Sistawoman,

Good to know that you could speak a bit of Yoruba.  Really good for you.  It's always good to know your roots and to take pride in it, no matter what.  Indeed, it makes you become stronger.

kiwi992.
Re: My Neighbors Mother-in-law by sistawoman: 9:15pm On Sep 16, 2008
Ndipe:

Sistawoman, honestly, you get time for your hands since you feel it in "my heart to see her husband at home more, to see him being loving toward his wife".

I always have time for my friends. isnt that the true meaning of friendship. She is not only a neighbor but a close friend.
Re: My Neighbors Mother-in-law by Nobody: 9:20pm On Sep 16, 2008
sistawoman:

I don't see what I am doing with my neighbor/friend to be forcing her but more along the lines of encouraging her. Her marriage is in big, big trouble and I am really trying to get her to see that this opportunity with her MIL is one in which she can build a good r/s thus helping with her marriage.

But her reluctance to do anything African is probally why her marriage is falling apart right now.

You're such a hypocrite. Your marriage was on the rocks less than a month ago. Ndipe gave you very good advice . . . mind your own business!

sistawoman:

I always have time for my friends. isnt that the true meaning of friendship. She is not only a neighbor but a close friend.

yours doesnt sound like "friendship" to me. Even best friends know where to draw the line.
Re: My Neighbors Mother-in-law by rampagain: 9:23pm On Sep 16, 2008
sistawoman:

I always have time for my friends.  isnt that the true meaning of friendship.  She is not only a neighbor but a close friend.  

friends,i mean every friend needs their privacy,smtimes we impose on them wtout knowing

lets set aside our differences  wink  listen,once a woman is married,and has got a family to take care off,i hands off her marital problems,especially if me myself im married

no matter how close one is to a friend ,once there is a change in status one has got to mind his or her own business

ma advise to u is mind your business,don't involve yourself in watever that has got to do wt pples marriage or marital problems

u will be trying to help them ,but they will turn against u one day

didnt your mum tell u all this?
Re: My Neighbors Mother-in-law by rampagain: 9:26pm On Sep 16, 2008
davidylan:

You're such a hypocrite. Your marriage was on the rocks less than a month ago. Ndipe gave you very good advice . . . mind your own business!

yours doesnt sound like "friendship" to me. Even best friends know where to draw the line.

God bless u

@sistawoman
try to better your own marriage,concentrate on your hubby and leave another womans house alone ooooooooooooooooo

if u coninue like this ,im so sorry u might not last long in your marriage,for heavens sake your man might not be complaining,but everything u do,he watches wt his every eyes,and is calculating wtout your knowledge

no nigerian man wants to spend d rest of his life wt a nosy wife
Re: My Neighbors Mother-in-law by omoge(f): 9:27pm On Sep 16, 2008
eh, davidi she o ni fi obirin ye sile ni?

sistah, welldone jare. helep am heal the marriage bo. bring am come nairaland bo to come learn a thing or two. there are more food on the food section don't forget. teach her how to make designer stew and orishirishi o. surely the marriage will not foreclose  cheesy
Re: My Neighbors Mother-in-law by omoge(f): 9:30pm On Sep 16, 2008
rampagain, my mama told me that so i will remember when i settle down. oyinbo matter na different thing. you see Jerry JerrySpringer and Maury eh grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Check Out Our 36 States / Where Does The Name Yoruba Come From? / The Crown Prince Of Benin Kingdom And Facts About Benin.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.