Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,271 members, 7,839,362 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:38 PM

Survival - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Survival (8853 Views)

4 Places To Test Your Survival Skills In Western Nigeria / German Naija, Survival Tips / Dana Air Passenger Plane Crashed In Alagbado, DG Confirms No Survival (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Survival by LondonCool(m): 11:53pm On Sep 20, 2008
Re: Survival by kokorunna(m): 11:46am On Sep 22, 2008
Well done LondonCool you have nailed everything on the coffin, a few things from me also.

1. Students just be careful who you interact with, you are down here for a suppose and stick to it.
2. If you can't afford renting, then use shared accomodation. Its much cheaper.
3. If your papers are not complete - DO NOT ATTEMPT TO OPEN A BANK ACCOUNT
4. And beware of people that says that they can open a bank account for you, its FALSE and they will rip you off.
5. Check wwww.moneysaversforum.com for free tips and advice on money stuff, career and everything else in the UK
Re: Survival by Nobody: 3:11pm On Sep 26, 2008
@ Londoncool,

What advise would you give for a person due to extend the hsmp visa for 3 years but is short of 5 points  cry
Re: Survival by LondonCool(m): 1:19pm On Sep 27, 2008
Re: Survival by Busybody2(f): 2:25am On Sep 28, 2008
Siena:

The highlighted only applies, if you have a full UK licence holder in the car with you, who has held a full licence for at least 3 years.

Otherwise, you're not insured.

Sorry I didn't reply on time, I was out spending the millions of pounds I envisage is going to come my way - the insurance company do not want to be seen to be helping facilitating a crime now, I reckon cool ?  I am going to be rolling in benjamins once they settle out of court cheesy

I have had my insurance for three and half years now, and the insurance company are aware that I hold a provisional licence and this is reflected in my premium and I even made a successful claim about two years ago cos some joyriders took off with my banger.
Re: Survival by Busybody2(f): 2:29am On Sep 28, 2008
Siena:

big_bumper, you're sailing pretty close to the wind!

One of my clients has had a provisional for 5 years.
He picked up his car from me, 2 months back, but never got home.

His car was impounded, and crushed.
Was a '67 VW Golf GTI.

'67 VW Golf GTI shocked No wonder, such health hazards need to be yanked off the road. grin
Re: Survival by Busybody2(f): 2:40am On Sep 28, 2008
komekn:

Busy_body,
Go to church and give a testimony, thanksgiving and a peace offering as well. Using a provisional licence for 12 years in the UK, and police no see your break light, them no shine reach your side. Then most certainly, God has blinded the eyes of your adversaries and showered you with exceptional favour in other words great grace. Maybe you can truly quote, Galatians 5:18 But if you are guided (led) by the [Holy] Spirit, you are not subject to the Law. (Amplified). grin shocked grin shocked grin

As Siena rightly put it, you are only entitled to drive with a qualified driver by your side so if you are driving by yourself then your entitlement to drive is invalidated as well as your insurance, and you are breaking the law. But still give a testimony, Wow !!!

If you are over 25 and you have comprehensive car insurance in most cases you will have insurance cover to drive any other car that is not within your household or registered to you.

I have lost count of the number of times the police have wagged their fingers or tutted at me for doing an illegal turn or going up the wrong way on a one way street. It's times like that, that it is nice being a species deemed as vulnerable, weaker sex. Girl power rules. tongue
Re: Survival by Busybody2(f): 3:04am On Sep 28, 2008
Tats:

@Busy_body,
Permit me to follow @Komekn to hail you.

Wetin you do fit reach make them deny person ILR if them catch am! I guess say you get "Pali" so that side no reach you. that na conviction straight, disqualification from driving for some time, with fine and penalty points on licence when you never even get!  grin grin.  But seriously, you should consider getting a full licence. Use the DSA CD-Rom and you will pass the theory test like a breeze. It was very useful to me as I got perfect scores in the multiple choice and near perfect scores in harzard perception test. The practical test shouldn't be difficult for you since you have been driving here. Just do a few lessons with an instructor to give you tips and you will be fine. Congrats in advance of passing your theory and practical test!

I failed the test the first time cos they said I drove too fast, I failed the second time cos they said I drove too slow, I failed the third time cos they said I was too nice cos I gave way to someone at the roundabout . . . Haba, enough is enough. The DSA hates women drivers, oh well, at least
the police love us and let us get away with blue murder. Flashing my gnashers and acting coyly has worked so far so once again why bother to fix what ain't broke cool

How do they know you have used your Naija pali for 12 months, if you renew it dutifully, everytime it conveniently expires?
Re: Survival by Stealthy(m): 4:52pm On Sep 28, 2008
1) ON ARRIVAL IN UK BE CAREFUL OF WHAT YOU CARRY INTO UK IN YOUR LUGGAGE.
This advice applies to everyone entering the UK either as a visitor or as a returning resident. Most of the times a passenger is refused entry into the UK is mostly due to the incriminating evidence found in their luggage during further examination by immigration officers.

For instance, most Nigerians who have 2 year visit visa's and of course working/schooling illegally in the UK get caught on arrival because they happen to return with stuff such as Payslips, NI cards, Oyster cards (don't forget the audit trail history can be downloaded from the card), TESCO club cards, NHS cards, NUS Id cards etc.It doesnt take a dummy to add 1+1 in these scenario's.

Pregnant visitors get caught out with NHS appointment letters in their luggage,etc.

Do they check ur luggage? When u're meeting with he immigration officer, only ur hand luggage is with u & I've never seen anybody's being searched. U only unite with ur checked in baggage later anyway so it shd be possible for pple to get away with these things, I think.
Re: Survival by Tats(m): 8:20pm On Sep 28, 2008
Stealthy:

Do they check ur luggage? When u're meeting with he immigration officer, only ur hand luggage is with u & I've never seen anybody's being searched. U only unite with ur checked in baggage later anyway so it should be possible for people to get away with these things, I think.

You ought to have seen customs checking people's luggage at "Nothing to Declare" section. Even though they are not immigrations, I suppose that they can still give you problems if they find some items that you ought not to have if you are only there for a visit. Sometimes they also search you when you just come out of the plane and the search could extend to your hand luggage.
Re: Survival by LondonCool(m): 12:11pm On Sep 29, 2008
Re: Survival by Nobody: 1:49pm On Sep 29, 2008
LondonCool:

Does the person have a salary of £35,000 per annum ?

The only thing that would make someone 5 points short is if he did not meet the salary criteria or UK work experience, as it is presumed that the person would still have obtained the same points they scored when they applied for the HSMP visa in the first place (except the UK salary aspect).

salary is £30,000 per annum which has some points and based on others (age, uk work experience, educational qualification etc) it all rounds up to 70 points. sad instead of 75 points which is the mininum

What options are available to be successful at the extension of the HSMP visa? undecided
Re: Survival by jayboykodi: 4:04pm On Sep 29, 2008
@londoncool

i studied comp science as first degree. and am going for my mba.

please in your own opinion what would be the reason for chosing the course since its not in line with the first degree.

secondly. am unemployed just finishd my nysc. what can i show as prof that ill be back in my country.

and also can i use photocopies of my sponsors c of o.

please in the colum that says how much are u going with , what do they mean?

please i would be so gratefull if u guys can help with this
pllllllssssssssss honest answers plssssssssssssssssss
Re: Survival by LondonCool(m): 4:45pm On Sep 29, 2008
Re: Survival by Nobody: 9:37pm On Sep 29, 2008
LondonCool:

You are allowed to have 2 jobs to fufil the salary criteria. The person needs to get someone who has a company to confirm that the person works there as a Teacher/Lecturer or Consultant, etc. Then the owner of the company pays the NI+Income Tax contribution equivalnet to the Income he is purporting to claim. to the Inland Revenue.

Or the person forms a company and pays himself a large salary and pays the NI/Income Tax equivalent to the extra salary bein claimed and produce that additional salary to GAIN extra points.

Most people on HSMP visa's just leave it too too late to sort out the Extension criteria.In fact many people have had to return to Nigeria for leaving it too late to qualify for the extension.

You are a STAR! kiss kiss
Re: Survival by LondonCool(m): 10:51am On Sep 30, 2008
Re: Survival by Akolawole(m): 6:19pm On Sep 30, 2008
@LondonCOOLLLL

God bless you front and back.

What a thread!

I will add mine as well. Many thanks

@Moderator

This should be on the home page as well as NO 3 on this section.
Re: Survival by Akolawole(m): 6:21pm On Sep 30, 2008
@Hannibal and Ty4real

Was Glory house the one closer to a junction( 1 way to barking, 1 to stratford, 1 to Prince Reagent and 1 to canning town) ?

And

the Pastor are identical twins abi?
Re: Survival by Pataki: 1:52am On Oct 01, 2008
Akolawole:

@Hannibal and Ty4real

Was Glory house the one closer to a junction( 1 way to barking, 1 to stratford, 1 to Prince Reagent and 1 to canning town) ?

And

the Pastor are identical twins abi?
So you sef don dey go there? I know about three nairaland members who attend that church right now. Funny enough I have seen them all, but as usual I always remain invisible to all. lipsrsealed
Re: Survival by Akolawole(m): 2:09am On Oct 01, 2008
@Pataki

I was there once on invitation years ago but i hate anything "east london" inspite being my primary "catchment area" shocked grin

@All

Back to Londoncool's thread jare
Re: Survival by Akolawole(m): 2:43am On Oct 01, 2008
@LC

You compact loads of information there, i will expantiate few of them. Cheers

Oyster Card-Audit Trail

Oyster card do have a computer strip that stores quite a lot of information. Information on it can be downloaded easily. It exposes one no be small. Here are 2 examples.

1) I was in Baker street station sometimes ago and intend to go to Brixton. As i touched the card, it gave an error message and i knew i have money on it. The officer just allow me to enter the underground believing that i do have money there, maybe because of my gentleman posture grin. On getting to Brixton, the card messed up again. Within a minute London Underground officer and 2 police officers(in mufti) approached me, collect the Card. The LO officer then downloaded the full history of transactions on the card. They knew i have money on the card but complained that why cant i sort out the problem in Baker street? I WAS SHOCKED THAT THEY KNEW WHERE I WAS COMING FROM They eventually left me. I was astounded that my card have loads of info like that.

2) Mr Z is a friend on visitors visa, come to UK regularly to work and go back home. He was entering UK one day, one custom officer just checked his luggage and found oyster card. The card was checked up and they discover that he used the card like 5 days earlier whereas his Nigeria's landing stamp do not correlate with his UK visits and oyster history.

REFUSAL OF ENTRY! CANCELLATION OF VISA!! then DEPORTATION!!!
Re: Survival by Pataki: 8:28am On Oct 01, 2008
@ Akolawole,

You should be caned oh. cry cry So you don't know before that Oyster card history can be easily retrieved? embarassed Anyways, I have also made my own erroneous ways here sometimes too. grin cheesy grin

Akolawole:

REFUSAL OF ENTRY! CANCELLATION OF VISA!! then DEPORTATION!!!
Triple combo. That his passport surely has a lot of history with it now.
Re: Survival by damiso(f): 9:44am On Oct 01, 2008
To also add to the issue raised by akolawole pls try not to travel(this applies to people with valid visiting visas) immediately after you have just been denied a visa to reside in the uk ie student visa,HSMP,work permit,working holiday maker etc.I know loads of people who have and ended up being deported(or should i use the word returned) at the point of entry.It raises a suspicions with the immigration officials at the point of entry when you were denied a student visa last week and this week you are back in the Uk on your visitor's visa.But if you must pls pls make sure you have no incriminating evidence like reciepts,cash cards pictures(yes pictures) and stuff basically that can make them believe you have lived in the Uk.More often than not, you would be searched and anything can make them refuse you entry and sometimes even cancel the visa. Someone i knew was caught with a dated pic for like 3 weeks earlier in front of a train station whereas the person's passport actually stated being in nigeria at the time the picture was taken.So pls if you are refused any sort of residet visa and you believe you have legal grounds to contest it pls do that from nigeria and if you must come visiting give it a few months and also make sure you have a valid reason for your visit that you can defend to anyone with the utmost confidence( i have always noticed at the point of entry that self confidence sometimes determines how the immigration officials relate to you esp when you know you have nothing to hide)
Re: Survival by Pataki: 3:43pm On Oct 01, 2008
damiso:

( i have always noticed at the point of entry that self confidence sometimes determines how the immigration officials relate to you esp when you know you have nothing to hide)

Self confidence plays a lot I must say not only with immigration officials but also with any other Law enforcement officer. I remember one of the few times I shuttled between Amsterdam-UK, there was this night I arrived at one of the UK border airport late in the evening, the Immigration officer asked me where I was coming from, I told him in full confidence, he asked me some other questions without looking at my face, but was staring at my passport, I replied him in all honesty giving accurate and precise information as was necessary for him.

He thereon looked at my passport and was rather shocked that I had two different UK visas on my passport within a short interval of 2 days difference from the same consulate. That was when questions started pouring in, and I answered him accurately and precisely. Just right beside me, an Indian on the same plane with me was detained simply because he gave a slightly different answer which was not in correlation to some details on his passports.

The reality is that, always ask yourself possible questions an Immigration officer will ask you before meeting one or else a simple goof will go a long way to affect possibly.
Re: Survival by LondonCool(m): 10:05am On Oct 02, 2008
Re: Survival by wegams: 4:01pm On Oct 02, 2008
I be illegal. Have been for about 3 years. Its time to return home to marry my british woman and apply for a spouse visa. police have my fingerprints from a traffic offence sometime back. Will my application succeed? I've no plans of letting them know i've been living here before.
Re: Survival by LondonCool(m): 4:15pm On Oct 02, 2008
Re: Survival by Desola(f): 7:46pm On Oct 02, 2008
Londoncool, but a further concession was announced in May for those applying in the family category?
Re: Survival by Desola(f): 7:47pm On Oct 02, 2008
By the way, did you see the new UK Border Force series on Sky last night? Very sad!
Re: Survival by skfa1: 7:58pm On Oct 02, 2008
Thank you Londoncool. May God continue to help us (Amen)
Re: Survival by ty4real(m): 10:50pm On Oct 02, 2008
@

The oyster card thingy baffles me too but it only shows that there is a system that will continue to work irrespective of what anybody does! grin grin grin!
But for any student,I would advice that once you are registered with your school,apply for the 30% discount oyster card for students or better still apply for the youngperson now called railcard,its actually for people within the age bracket of 16-25 yrs of age but if you are above 26,you can still apply for it once you can have the application form signed by your schools stating that you are a full time registered student.You will discover how much you can save especially when you buy during off peak periods.Travel card payment is so ridiculous as in so cheap thats my own opionin sha. grin grin grin grin!
Re: Survival by ty4real(m): 10:54pm On Oct 02, 2008
@Akolawole!
Yeah right!The pastors are not really identical like that but they look like but on a closer look they are not identical,yeah from plaistow or stratford bus 241 okkkkk use tfl.gov.uk to get the remaining direction you hear grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Let's Boycott The UK Visa For One Month / Nigerian E Passport Microchips / The City Of Dar Es Salaam In Tanzania

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.