Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,295 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:13 AM

Obama, Is Race A Factor? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Obama, Is Race A Factor? (999 Views)

Evidence That Putin Is Strongest Man And Obama Is A Filthy Whimpering Dog / There Is A Race Riot Going On In America Right Now!! / Obama Is A Weak Chicken (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama, Is Race A Factor? by Mamajama(m): 10:12pm On Sep 16, 2008
Race is arguably the biggest issue in this election, and it’s one that nobody’s talking about.

The differences between Barack Obama and John McCain couldn’t be more well-defined. Obama wants to change Washington. McCain is a part of Washington and a part of the Bush legacy. Yet the polls remain close. Doesn’t make sense…unless it’s race.

Obama Picked Joe Biden a well respected democrat as running mate, McCain picked a bimbo that those not knows what Nato stands for and tet the race is still close.

What will you do if McCain is elected? is race a factor
Re: Obama, Is Race A Factor? by Nobody: 10:14pm On Sep 16, 2008
Mamajama:

Race is arguably the biggest issue in this election, and it’s one that nobody’s talking about.

Its been said consistently (well everyone likes to pretend its not there) that were Obama white, we'd be talking about McCain's margin of defeat.
Re: Obama, Is Race A Factor? by Mamajama(m): 10:14pm On Sep 16, 2008
Charles Barkley said Americans sometimes deserve what they get, and that they do not deserve a good leader.

That will just validate Barkley's point if this election is stolen
Re: Obama, Is Race A Factor? by Mamajama(m): 10:16pm On Sep 16, 2008
I'm a little confused. Let me see if I have this straight,

* If you grow up in Hawaii , raised by your grandparents, you're "exotic, different."

* Grow up in Alaska eating moose burgers, a quintessential American story.

* If your name is Barack you're a radical, unpatriotic Muslim.

* Name your kids Willow, Bristol, Piper, Trig and Track you're a maverick.

* Graduate from Harvard law School and you are unstable.

* Attend 5 different small colleges before graduating, you're well grounded.

* If you spend 3 years as a brilliant community organizer, become the first black President of the Harvard Law Review, create a voter registration drive that registers 150,000 new voters, spend 12 years as a Constitutional Law professor, spend 8 years as a State Senator representing a district with over 750,000 people, become chairman of the Illinois State Senate's Health and Human Services committee, spend 4 years in the United States Senate representing a state of 13 million people while sponsoring 131 bills and serving on the Foreign Affairs, Environment and Public Works and Veteran's Affairs committees, you don't have any real leadership experience.

* If your total resume is: local weather girl, 4 years on the city council and 6 years as the mayor of a town with less than 7,000 people, 20 months as the governor of a state with only 650,000 people, then you're qualified to become the country's second highest ranking executive.

* If you have been married to the same woman for 19 years while raising 2 beautiful daughters, all within Protestant churches, you're not a real Christian.

* If you cheated on your first wife with a rich heiress, and left your disfigured wife and married the heiress the next month, you're a Christian.

* If you teach responsible, age appropriate sex education, including the proper use of birth control, you are eroding the fiber of society.

* If, while governor, you staunchly advocate abstinence only, with no other option in sex education in your state's school system while your unwed teen daughter ends up pregnant, you're very responsible.

* If your wife is a Harvard graduate lawyer who gave up a position in a prestigious law firm to work for the betterment of her inner city community, then gave that up to raise a family, your family's values don't represent America 's.

* If you're husband is nicknamed "First Dude", with at least one DWI conviction and no college education, who didn't register to vote until age 25 and once was a member of a group that advocated the secession of Alaska from the USA, your family is extremely admirable.

OK, much clearer now.

This is a good script a friend sent me.
Re: Obama, Is Race A Factor? by omoge(f): 10:18pm On Sep 16, 2008
yes, many don't want to talk about it. if Obama does not win, RACE is the cause not matter what the analysts say. i also think if Michele was a white woman, his chances will be high.
Re: Obama, Is Race A Factor? by kiwi992(m): 11:27am On Sep 17, 2008
Hi,

It's obvious, isn't it?  Race is, of course, the big issue here.

Americans do not wish to see a black President.  They would go to any length to vote for the Republicans, simply to stop Obama from winning.  Let them go ahead and have a repeat of the Bush years.  As ever, Americans will never learn.

Then again, so many of our African-American brothers and sisters don't quite like him because, according to them, he is not a 'real' African-American being that he is of mixed race, with a white mother and a Kenyan father, hence, not a true brother like Jesse Jackson.  Such rhetorics as 'America is not yet for a black president' just confound me.

As I've always maintained, we would have to wait and see.

kiwi992.
Re: Obama, Is Race A Factor? by TayoD1(m): 12:20pm On Sep 17, 2008
@Mamajama,

It is? How come Obama got the DNC nomination even though he ran against white people? I just don't get it. maybe the reason why people are not talking about it is because it is not an issue. That WAZOBIA is a big factor in naija does not make RACE a big factor in the US.

The differences between Barack Obama and John McCain couldn’t be more well-defined. Obama wants to change Washington.
Can you tell me what changes he has brought to Washington since his 3 years there? His record should speak for him I believe!

McCain is a part of Washington and a part of the Bush legacy. Yet the polls remain close. Doesn’t make sense…unless it’s race.
There is a reason why McCain is called a Maverick! Though a part of Washington, he nevertheless doesn't toe the path of Washington, no wonder people are taking his call for Reform more seriously than Obama's call for change. Perhaps, its because he has a record that Joe Biden and Obama do not.

Obama Picked Joe Biden a well respected democrat as running mate,
Well respected by whom? He's spent more time in Washington than McCain and always toe the party line. How is that change?

McCain picked a bimbo that those not knows what Nato stands for and tet the race is still close.
You may abuse her from here till tomorrow, it doesn't change a thing about her nor will keep her from being the next VP of the US and hopefully the President in about 4 years. She doesn't know what NATo stands for? Can you prove that?

What will you do if McCain is elected? is race a factor
I will be happy that the lesser of two evils is President. I've discussed politics with a lot of people here, both White and Black and what we discuss are issues and politics. The only discussion about RACE only relates to the fact of its historic nature. Same applies to gender!
Re: Obama, Is Race A Factor? by bindex(m): 1:48pm On Sep 17, 2008
My heart tells me that race will not be a factor but my head tells me it will. . . . remember the bradley effect. . . . . . . .
Re: Obama, Is Race A Factor? by Nobody: 1:52pm On Sep 17, 2008
Tayo-D, as usual you NEVER quite get around to seeing the real meat in mamajama's write-up. Myopic individuals like you enjoy skirting the truth and never let facts get in the way of their warped assumptions.

Tayo-D:

@Mamajama,
It is? How come Obama got the DNC nomination even though he ran against white people? I just don't get it. maybe the reason why people are not talking about it is because it is not an issue. That WAZOBIA is a big factor in naija does not make RACE a big factor in the US.

Obama won the DNC simply because he did far far better than Clinton in the small states and caucuses that the Clinton campaign took for granted. If the DNC apportioned delegates in a winner-takes-all fashion like the republicans, Clinton would have won the nomination by Feb 5. Quit talking about what you don't know.

Tayo-D:

Can you tell me what changes he has brought to Washington since his 3 years there? His record should speak for him I believe!

What is McCain's record? What about Palin's?

Tayo-D:

There is a reason why McCain is called a Maverick! Though a part of Washington, he nevertheless doesn't toe the path of Washington, no wonder people are taking his call for Reform more seriously than Obama's call for change. Perhaps, its because he has a record that Joe Biden and Obama do not.

More laughable rubbish. Is this the same "maverick" everyone including the republicans passed on for dullards like George Bush in 2000? Did they suddenly remember he was a maverick worth voting for in 2008?
What is McCain campaigning to "change" in washington? Was he not running under the banner of "experience" until he picked Palin and suddenly switched to "change"?

Tayo-D:

Well respected by whom? He's spent more time in Washington than McCain and always toe the party line. How is that change?

Sharrap bro. clinton toed the party line and provided Americans with arguably the best 8 years they have had in 100 years.
What has refusing to toe the party line got to do with the ability to govern?

Obama spent more time in Washington than McCain? grin O boy go and drink water, you're begining to sound desperately clueless.

Tayo-D:

You may abuse her from here till tomorrow, it doesn't change a thing about her nor will keep her from being the next VP of the US and hopefully the President in about 4 years. She doesn't know what NATo stands for? Can you prove that?

she has no clue about the Bush foreign policy of the past 8 years . . . thinks she knows all about Russia because she can "see it from Alaska" and didnt know the responsibilities of the VP until a month ago.

Tayo-D:

I will be happy that the lesser of two evils is President. I've discussed politics with a lot of people here, both White and Black and what we discuss are issues and politics. The only discussion about RACE only relates to the fact of its historic nature. Same applies to gender!

Because whites will NEVER tell you they are voting based on race. I had a discussion with a white guy sometime ago and he kept giving me 1000 flimsy reasons why Obama was bad for the white house . . . i debunked every single one (it turned out he was so poorly informed i couldnt believe it). At the end of the day we silently agreed his real problem was skin color.
Re: Obama, Is Race A Factor? by BigB11(m): 1:56pm On Sep 17, 2008
Look!
MAMAJAMA is not referring to the DNC; he's talking about the old man and the bimbo.
Instead of focusing more on issues Americans are currently facing, the republicans have turned this election into a race and gender war.

It is obvious to all that they have no chance and no material whatsoever; the only thing left for them is to start throwing low blows.
The old man graduated fifth from the bottom of his class at Annapolis, while the bimbo travelled all over United States colleges seeking for easy way out, she also hardly completed her bachelor degree.

How can anyone in his or her right mind could ever come here to support an old fraud who continues to run the sleaziest campaign. This man lies about everything and doesn't even hesitate to repeat same lies, even after they've been exposed as lies. This is nothing but a disgraceful and dishonorable campaign in American history.

And it is amusing to me how America is gradually changing to a joke and a 3rd world country in progress.

Republicans state of mind
It isn't about the issues anymore, it's all about tricking the fools once again; if Bush could do it twice, the old man and the bimbo could also make it happen. And this is one of the main reasons why McCain's camp continues to intentionally target the ignorant American voters.

Again, the old man hates your gut; in his eyes, you're nothing but another house Negro with bunch of credit cards.
Re: Obama, Is Race A Factor? by TayoD1(m): 2:15pm On Sep 17, 2008
@Davidylan,

Tayo-D, as usual you NEVER quite get around to seeing the real meat in mamajama's write-up. Myopic individuals like you enjoy skirting the truth and never let facts get in the way of their warped assumptions.
I will appreciate if you can disagree without being diagreeable. I don't have time for frivolities this morning,

Obama won the DNC simply because he did far far better than Clinton in the small states and caucuses that the Clinton campaign took for granted. If the DNC apportioned delegates in a winner-takes-all fashion like the republicans, Clinton would have won the nomination by Feb 5. Quit talking about what you don't know.
So how is RACE a factor here? isn't that what the topic is all about? You just keep going off-point each time.

What is McCain's record? What about Palin's?
Is that an answer to Obama's record of Change?

More laughable rubbish. Is this the same "maverick" everyone including the republicans passed on for dullards like George Bush in 2000? Did they suddenly remember he was a maverick worth voting for in 2008? What is McCain campaigning to "change" in washington? Was he not running under the banner of "experience" until he picked Palin and suddenly switched to "change"?
It's only a fool that will not change strategy when there is need for it. It shows he's in touch with the American populace. and if change is what Americans need, he and Palin have the pedigree to make that happen. Obama and Biden? No record at all.

Sharrap bro. clinton toed the party line and provided Americans with arguably the best 8 years they have had in 100 years.
And his actions is what brought the Mortgage giants to where they are today, innit?

What has refusing to toe the party line got to do with the ability to govern?
I thought he was supposed to bring americans together too? Toeing Party line only polarises the situation. McCain showed leadership in this regard when Bush appointed Judges. Where was Obama?

Obama spent more time in Washington than McCain? O boy go and drink water, you're begining to sound desperately clueless.
That is why I said you need to read and understand what you are reading before attacking the keyboard. The person at issue in this case is Biden, not Obama. Who really needs a drink of cool aid?

she has no clue about the Bush foreign policy of the past 8 years . . . thinks she knows all about Russia because she can "see it from Alaska" and didnt know the responsibilities of the VP until a month ago.
Are you talking about the same palin who clearly articulated the pre-epmtive policy?

Because whites will NEVER tell you they are voting based on race. I had a discussion with a white guy sometime ago and he kept giving me 1000 flimsy reasons why Obama was bad for the white house . . . i debunked every single one (it turned out he was so poorly informed i couldnt believe it). At the end of the day we silently agreed his real problem was skin color.
Of course, you must think you are right with your rebuttals. This is purely subjective, but as I said before, whites got Obama to where he is today. that you can never deny.
Re: Obama, Is Race A Factor? by Nobody: 2:36pm On Sep 17, 2008
Tayo-D:

@Davidylan,
I will appreciate if you can disagree without being diagreeable. I don't have time for frivolities this morning,

Neither do i. You shld know by now that i have a very thin skin to deliberate ignorance.

Tayo-D:

So how is RACE a factor here? isn't that what the topic is all about? You just keep going off-point each time.

If my response was offtopic pls blame your own response. The topic asked the question - Obama, is race a factor? you responded by asking why Obama won the DNC nomination if race was a factor . . . i responded by telling you Obama merely won the nomination on a technicality. How is that off-point?
Your responses sometimes leave me wondering . . .

Tayo-D:

Is that an answer to Obama's record of Change?

Yes it is. If you demand for Obama's record of change it must be because you have at your fingertips McCain's record of change no?

Tayo-D:

It's only a fool that will not change strategy when there is need for it. It shows he's in touch with the American populace. and if change is what Americans need, he and Palin have the pedigree to make that happen. Obama and Biden? No record at all.

This is absurd.
1. It is a desperate typical politician (not a change merchant) who changes strategy because his interest is really all about winning and not the american people.
2. It indeed shows McCain is in touch with the American populace . . . he knows the vast majority are uncomfortable about voting for a black face and he can swing many female voters with a female VP (doesnt matter if she's only about moose and hockey), just swing the "change" wand and the gullible fools will come frolicking.

Rick Davis said it best - this election is not about issues but about personalities . . . too bad but i'm 190% sure you dont know better than McCain's own campaign manager (a washington lobbyist by the way - so much for "change"wink.

Tayo-D:

And his actions is what brought the Mortgage giants to where they are today, innit?

How is that Clinton's fault? Are you dreaming? He left 8yrs ago just in case you are not fully awake yet.

Tayo-D:

I thought he was supposed to bring americans together too? Toeing Party line only polarises the situation. McCain showed leadership in this regard when Bush appointed Judges. Where was Obama?

1. This "toeing the party line" nonsense is the red herring McCain has been bandying around as if it makes a shred of sense. Did JFK refuse to toe party lines? What of Clinton? Where they not far better presidents than McCain can ever be?
2. What has the appointment of judges got to do with the issue?

Tayo-D:

That is why I said you need to read and understand what you are reading before attacking the keyboard. The person at issue in this case is Biden, not Obama. Who really needs a drink of cool aid?

I'll get a bottle of cool aid and drink to you.

Tayo-D:

Are you talking about the same palin who clearly articulated the pre-epmtive policy?

After Gibson had helped her with the question? After serious tutoring from the McCain campaign it would have been foolhardy if she couldnt at least say something . . . i'm only surprised her idea of the policy included an invasion of Russia.

Tayo-D:

Of course, you must think you are right with your rebuttals. This is purely subjective, but as I said before, whites got Obama to where he is today. that you can never deny.

Not all whites are racist, it is not the same thing as racism does not exist.
Think logically.
Re: Obama, Is Race A Factor? by BigB11(m): 2:37pm On Sep 17, 2008
It is very important to make something clear before we start yapping one another; we must clearly understand that there is a difference between ignorance and stupidity.
Ignorance simply means lack of knowledge, while stupidity means lack of intelligence.
And I'm sorry to inform you guys that the republicans completely understand these definitions, they're mainly focused on distracting and brainwashing these groups of people.

FYI:Republicans are currently bragging that they've got a lock on the stupid, racist white voters and the lost black voters.

My question is: when is the buttheads are finally going to wake up?
Re: Obama, Is Race A Factor? by Nobody: 2:39pm On Sep 17, 2008
Big B1:

My question is: when is the buttheads are finally going to wake up?

possibly never. dont bet your house on it.
Re: Obama, Is Race A Factor? by gentleaura(m): 2:54pm On Sep 17, 2008
davidylan:

possibly never. don't bet your house on it.

Davidylan, you still dey on this site?? Wow!! How have you been man??
Re: Obama, Is Race A Factor? by Nobody: 2:55pm On Sep 17, 2008
gentleaura:

Davidylan, you still dey on this site?? Wow!! How have you been man??

quite an age bro! grin Yeah man i still pop into this house to relieve my old bones o . . . laughter is medicine.
Re: Obama, Is Race A Factor? by gentleaura(m): 3:07pm On Sep 17, 2008
davidylan:

quite an age bro! grin Yeah man i still pop into this house to relieve my old bones o . . . laughter is medicine.

You couldnt have said it any better, I thought I could use some laughter myself, hehehe, btw. hows the "Dr" program coming along? Grad in order very soon I'd guess hehhe
Re: Obama, Is Race A Factor? by redsun(m): 3:13pm On Sep 17, 2008
Living in alaska is like living in siberia,cold blooded and out of this world creatures,apart from the native alaskans whose ways of like have been toppled over by the invading and rampaging oyinbos.

Of course race will always remain a prominent destabilizing issue in the west.But for skin color,mccain is no march to obama in any way,from his looks,his ideas,to the way he talks,one can clearly see that he is a typical timid,clueless,southern american redneck,just like majority of the population,even the so-called democrats,they can't live to see a black man rule them,not in this generation.

Mccain is more like a zombie,typical american soldier,go and kill,go and die,without any atom of self reasoning,judgement or consideration,in the name of country,the british will say in the name of the queen.Collective and programmed thinkers,same applies to rednecks
Re: Obama, Is Race A Factor? by Nobody: 3:14pm On Sep 17, 2008
gentleaura:

You couldnt have said it any better, I thought I could use some laughter myself, hehehe, between. hows the "Dr" program coming along? Grad in order very soon I'D guess hehhe

Hopefully not more than a yr left by my calculations. Things coming along fine but for the few expected bottle necks. We thank God.

How's it going at your end?
Re: Obama, Is Race A Factor? by Mamajama(m): 8:03pm On Sep 17, 2008
Race is still a factor, how can someone who clearly states he does not understand the economy and keep talking about the fundamentals of the economy.

His top advisers are all total failure and yet, the race is close.

If Obama was white I strongly thing this race would have been over right after the convention
Re: Obama, Is Race A Factor? by RichyBlacK(m): 10:12am On Sep 18, 2008
Race is definitely a factor!

[size=18pt]Obiden 08![/size]
Re: Obama, Is Race A Factor? by sleekp1: 1:08pm On Sep 18, 2008
Lmao!!!
You'D have to have come from another planent to think race is not a factor.
Re: Obama, Is Race A Factor? by Nobody: 3:43pm On Sep 20, 2008
i'm posting this for the benefit of ridiculously blind people like Tayo-D and Kobojunkie, men/women who live in a bubble of self-deciet as regards the US presidential race.

Poll: Racial views steer some white Dems away from Obama

WASHINGTON (AP) — Deep-seated racial misgivings could cost Barack Obama the White House if the election is close, according to an AP-Yahoo News poll that found one-third of white Democrats harbor negative views toward blacks — many calling them "lazy," "violent," responsible for their own troubles.

The poll, conducted with Stanford University, suggests that the percentage of voters who may turn away from Obama because of his race could easily be larger than the final difference between the candidates in 2004 — about two and one-half percentage points.

We have consistently said that the reason the race is as close today has more to do with skin color than issues. Were Obama white we'd be discussing McCain's margin of defeat.
Re: Obama, Is Race A Factor? by darfur(m): 4:48pm On Sep 20, 2008
how come some dudes in nairaland(names withheld) suddenly started supporting mccain only after hillary clinton the witch was floored by a nigger?

to the point they are now grand defenders of indefensible scenarios

ahaaaaa, obama haters tongue
Re: Obama, Is Race A Factor? by darfur(m): 5:12pm On Sep 20, 2008
make no mistake, america is a white country. racism is a great factor and a black president in 2008 may be a mirage. until the kids who are below 20yrs today grow to be the ruling generation, racism will continue to be a factor in the US politics . . i.e if those kids dont get corrupted by their fathers.
Re: Obama, Is Race A Factor? by darfur(m): 5:15pm On Sep 20, 2008
even in nigeria where we all are of the same race, language and surname is a huge factor how much more in a country where people are of a different skin color, and where one race feels superior and narcissistic. haba.

i'm not trying to say americans are terrible people b/c nigerians are no better(hard fact) but they are not the saints that dont care about skin color like some peeps here may try to pretend.
Re: Obama, Is Race A Factor? by timbabng(m): 5:23pm On Sep 20, 2008
of course , race will always be a factor!
Re: Obama, Is Race A Factor? by Ibime(m): 1:53am On Sep 21, 2008
Tayo D is living in a fantasy world. . . . the Bradley effect is alive and well. . . . it even affected Obama in the North Carolina primaries. . . . the polls had him ahead by 8 points and he still lost by 2 points. . . . if I remember correctly, Colin Powell was discouraged from running for the 1996 elections by the GOP because they told him the Bradley effect would affect his chances. . . . the fact is, if not for race, Obama would have a 20 point lead. . . . O'Reilly even alluded to it by saying "I don't think the polls are an accurate reflection because on polling day, many voters would be scared to vote for the 'new' guy". . . . we all know what that means.
Re: Obama, Is Race A Factor? by otele(m): 12:57am On Sep 22, 2008
obama cant win b/c he is black not pure white. america is for wasp

[b]w[/b]hite [b]a[/b]nglo[b]s[/b]axon [b]p[/b]rotestants
Re: Obama, Is Race A Factor? by kokorunna(m): 4:27pm On Sep 22, 2008
If its the plan of GOD, then he will be the next President.

Colour or no colour.

(1) (Reply)

Libya: Gaddafi 'used Rape As Weapon Of War' / Gadhafi’s Wife, 2 Sons, Daughter Escape To Algeria •he’s Still Dangerous / Us-india: A Former Head Of State Frisked Twice.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.