Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,763 members, 7,820,664 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:03 PM

Honest Questions - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Honest Questions (1095 Views)

Let Us Be Honest- Life Is Both Meaningless And Purposeless / Atheists, Let's Be Honest- The People Who Formed Religions Were The Smartest / Honest Questions; Seeking Answers (believers Only) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Honest Questions by Chrisbenogor(m): 1:08am On Sep 21, 2008
Seriously this religion forum is beginning to suck, its a war that will never end between the atheists and the Religious. No one can prove either way that God does or does not exist!
We see evidence everyday of what having extreme beliefs can do, they produce warriors, ( Gods Warriors ) , the list is endless starting from the atrocities in the bible which I feel only Christians that are honest would admit to because today if a country decides to go to war with another country saying that God ordered them to take over the land of the others,because they were juju worshipers or just because of the silly notion that they are "God's chosen people" would be frowned on by everyone. It seems despicable now that someone would fly a plane into a building and kill 3000 or more innocent people but if one looks closely you would see the glaring similarities in both cases. One other thing that troubles me is how fast religion changes everyday with the times, it would have been totally absurd 150 years ago if a christian asserted that evolution is compatible with the bible, but each time something like that comes up and they know they cannot suppress it, they run back to the book and look for things to  read meaning into and voila! the answer to the new found discovery is there.
What is the biggest problem with organized religion? Many I would say and topping the chart would be how ambiguous their religious books are, it contains so many words and stories that could have multiple explanations depending on your orientation, I mean a real christian should show me that I am wrong, how inspired can one be that he cannot make mistakes, you mean in 66 books there was no addition of what the writer thought and not what God really said? the evidence of this is in the 30,000 or so different sects in Christianity alone.
Next would be the insatiable need to constantly invalidate each other trying to prove to everyone that what they practice is the right thing, we can see Jehovah's witnesses bothering about blood and Christmas and birthdays, we see protestants bothered about the Catholics already printed prayers and statues, it is a dog eat dog practice. Religion has brought about more disunity in the world than really uniting people together, just look at the religious threads, it is all so glaring and evident, if its not about pastor chris being phoney its about tithing or whether macabees should have been included in the bible.
Atheists on the other hand tend to cling to mostly science and things that do not make sense, we are all too aware that science has made mistakes in the past but I like to stand that when it comes to an issue that can be verified scientifically, like the age of the earth or any other issue, if the bible conflicts with science honest and sincere christians should be able to point that out.
So I ask the atheists, are you saying that there are no things in this world that can be termed paranormal or supernatural?
For the religious are you saying that there is nothing in your religious book that are wrong?
I know everybody comes with a bias and it would be a "miracle" to see lady, or pilgrim or olabowole or david accepting that there are any parts of the religious books that just show man's own thinking or that are wrong, or on the other hand huxley, or mazaje changing their stance.
You guys can go over my post and take it apart like you always do, its what "we" are good at grin and I really do not care because much as I like to think I have been inspired to write this it would be foolhardy for someone to totally believe that I have not made mistakes.
So I ask you can you honestly admit to the whole nairaland that there is something in what you believe in that is wrong?
Can you accept other people as your brothers and sisters wholeheartedly even if they do not share the same religious views as you?

Personally, I don't think the idea of threads based on faith being hijacked by atheists is a good idea, but I think that is general with the whole of nairaland. Creating a child board for atheists seems like the best option, but it only further divides people( as if the one that is going on is not already dividing people grin). The top of the religion forum reads "Share your faith and belief in God or higher powers here." So where are atheists supposed to be?
Re: Honest Questions by pilgrim1(f): 1:28am On Sep 21, 2008
@Chrisbenogor,

I agree with you on one thing - your whole arguement really sucks! I'm really beginning to wonder when we shall actually see men with the intelligence enough to look within themselves and admit that their own premises are notoriously mischievious beyond belief!

Am I angry? No. Disappointed? Yes, and I would ask you to excuse me to point out certain things as to why I most often take a reserved seat and watch the irrational rants of people who assume that theists are non-thinking people.

You talk about "the evidence of this is in the 30,000 or so different sects in Christianity alone" as if to say that you are largely unware that even atheists are so confused as to the basic definition of what atheism truly is! They have no consensus about the basic definition of that word, and are as divided over the issue as ever for eons. Yet, you have a problem with 30,000 sects in Christianity. Even when you look closely between men who argue under the cloak of "science", you will find that the drama extends to atheists who are authorities in evolutionary biology. Both Richard Dawkins and late Stephen J. Gould were atheists, and yet they were ever so in disagreement that one would wonder what happened to their rationality.

This idea of berating people on their beliefs simply because you are not looking closely at your own camp is amusing. I have only entered a discussion thereto with dear huxley in a very calm manner to lead him to what he has been missing all along. The goal of reason and rational thought is not to attack people's convictions! I started out in that discussion on one premise - to define atheism proper, noting well that so far my references have been drawn mostly from atheistic sources. The remarkable thing is that between all those who have been quoted, they do not agree as to what the term means - and they do not even need the help of theists to project their disagreement!

Dear Chrisbenogor, it is a small world. If you are disturbed about such issues, first clean up your camp and salute your adulators before trying to demonstrate such irrationality in a public forum. The honest question you should be asking yourself here is whether the very things you pretend not to have noticed among atheists only exists among theists. That we don't talk so very much about them as you guys are wont to noise abroad does not mean that some of us have no inkling about them. Ask, and I would very gladly point them out to you. If otherwise, no worries - I have never been disturbed about the irrationality of polarized thinking among atheists.

Best wishes.
Re: Honest Questions by mazaje(m): 2:43am On Sep 21, 2008
You talk about "the evidence of this is in the 30,000 or so different sects in Christianity alone" as if to say that you are largely unware that even atheists are so confused as to the basic definition of what atheism truly is! They have no consensus about the basic definition of that word, and are as divided over the issue as ever for eons. Yet, you have a problem with 30,000 sects in Christianity. Even when you look closely between men who argue under the cloak of "science", you will find that the drama extends to atheists who are authorities in evolutionary biology. Both Richard Dawkins and late Stephen J. Gould were atheists, and yet they were ever so in disagreement that one would wonder what happened to their rationality.

athiest and rationalist have never claimed to posses the ONLY truth, only thiest do, especially christains and moslems. with them its either jesus/allah or eternal perdition. . . . . . athiest have the right to argue with each other, christains and moslems don't because they claim the recieve inspiration from the same source(their god). . . . athiest and rationalist have never claimed to have all recieved inspiration from the same source. . . . . the 30,000 sects in christainity who are alwasy in disagreement and fighting with each other does'nt look like a bunch of people that believe in the same thing, you can believe in the same thing and yet be so divided, the only time christian come together is when you tell them that there is no god else they are always at each others throat. . . . the inhouse battle is now getting out of hand in niaja. . . . christains are the ones who need to be asked what happend to their rationality since they all claim to believe in the same source but the differences can not be more glaring. . . . . .
Re: Honest Questions by bawomolo(m): 5:16am On Sep 21, 2008
Both Richard Dawkins and late Stephen J. Gould were atheists, and yet they were ever so in disagreement that one would wonder what happened to their rationality.

great ideas have been spurred through disagreement, the AC vs DC current war is an example. i don't know how u expect two atheists to have their views perfectly aligned. the atheist movement is driven by individualism and there is no rule that atheist have to agree.
Re: Honest Questions by pilgrim1(f): 5:19am On Sep 21, 2008
@mazaje,

mazaje:

athiest and rationalist have never claimed to posses the ONLY truth, only thiest do, especially christains and moslems.

Abeg go sidon! The one thing that amazesme is the sheer hypocrisy of most atheists and rationalists. Who have been hooting about knowing "all truth" in naturalistic terms only? Theists?

mazaje:

athiest have the right to argue with each other, christains and moslems don't because they claim the recieve inspiration from the same source(their god). . . .

Phew! Make I just go it easy with you - just because I like you! grin Okay, smart up:

(a) many atheists are largely unware that when accusing theists of disagreements and divisions, they themselves are as widely divided among themselves - even on the basic of all questions: the definition of atheism! If they are not even in agreement on that, tell me if that is not more serious than this glib "atheists have a right to argue with each other"! It is even remarkable that you admit the arguement, and that is something that you guys shouldcarefully observe when pointing accusing fingers on 30,000 sects within Christianity.

(b) You make a bigger mistake of assuming that Christians claim to be worshipping the same God as Muslims. Please wake up and read most of the threads between Christians and Muslim debates on that very issue. Many people are easily fooled to assume that Christians and Muslims make a claim of worship to the same deity; but only recently did one of the muslim debaters intone that there is nothing in common between the Quran and the Bible.

mazaje:

athiest and rationalist have never claimed to have all recieved inspiration from the same source.

They don't even claim to receive any inspiration, so what's the question?

mazaje:

. . . . the 30,000 sects in christainity who are alwasy in disagreement and fighting with each other does'nt look like a bunch of people that believe in the same thing, you can believe in the same thing and yet be so divided, the only time christian come together is when you tell them that there is no god else they are always at each others throat.

This is a remarkable thing to observe. How you can justify the deep seated division between atheists themselves is beyond me - are you really aware of the real world or just simply guessing?

mazaje:

. . . the inhouse battle is now getting out of hand in niaja.

Sad - and sadder yet that you guys have sometimes shown very little rationale in that regard. I'm glad for your sake that Chrisbenogor already said:
Chrisbenogor:

Personally, I don't think the idea of threads based on faith being hijacked by atheists is a good idea,
. . . and we should have expected a better attitude from you guys. Not that it even matters to me personally, because as may be observed, I often refrain from entering a debate where irrational rants are being traded. How many times have I stated already that not all such displays are rational?

mazaje:

. . . christains are the ones who need to be asked what happend to their rationality since they all claim to believe in the same source but the differences can not be more glaring. . .

Christians are not the ones going about with tags of "rationalists" - you name the tag on yourselves, you live up to that word. To pretend that your problem is always about the beliefs of others does not make you a more rational person.

Anyway, enjoy.
Re: Honest Questions by pilgrim1(f): 5:22am On Sep 21, 2008
bawomolo:

great ideas have been spurred through disagreement, the AC vs DC current war is an example. i don't know how u expect two atheists to have their views perfectly aligned. the atheist movement is driven by individualism and there is no rule that atheist have to agree.

Why this glib justification for atheists division? My dear, the division between Dawkins and Gould are not passive matters on intellectual ideas about evolutionary biology. Please find out what rationale Dawkins was demonstrating in his brash attitude - was that "science"?
Re: Honest Questions by bawomolo(m): 5:36am On Sep 21, 2008
pilgrim.1:

Why this glib justification for atheists division? My dear, the division between Dawkins and Gould are not passive matters on intellectual ideas about evolutionary biology. Please find out what rationale Dawkins was demonstrating in his brash attitude - was that "science"?

what atheist division, is there a standard atheist doctrine like say the catholic doctrine. atheism isn't standardized and has always been based on freedom of choice. is a disagreement between peter higgs and dawkins a sign of atheist division. why do you always go back to richard dawkins as if he is some holy father of atheism? hawkins deals with theoretical physics so how u place him in the field of evolutionary biology is a little perplexing here.
Re: Honest Questions by Chrisbenogor(m): 7:08am On Sep 21, 2008
@ pilgrim
I know you have told me you come with a bias, and I am sure we have talked about what I believe here on nairaland. The fact that the reply came from you is why I will take this as a personal attack. This is what I tried to point out in my post and if fielding me with the atheist so you can practice you new found subtle ways of literal kung fu. I am not defending the total post because I believe I might made mistakes which I will gladly admit to, one of which would be that maybe I did not ask enough questions of the atheists but that is because I am a bit short handed as to the flaws in the scientific theories and would not say what I am not sure about. The very first lines of my post said that one cannot prove either way. Am I angry? No. But I am flipping disappointed, I am not in anybody's camp if you want me to state it that. Yes I have loads of logs in my eyes that I have to remove and I take full responsibility for it! You happy now, I said that the 30000 sects were because of the different interpretations of the bible, and I am not unaware of the atheist camp but I have not been fully one before and cannot go ranting about it. Its ok to defend your position if you want to, but I really expected better from you.
Anyway have a great day.
Re: Honest Questions by pilgrim1(f): 8:51am On Sep 21, 2008
@bawomolo,

bawomolo:

what atheist division, is there a standard atheist doctrine like say the catholic doctrine. atheism isn't standardized and has always been based on freedom of choice.

Rubbish. Atheists themselves are not so sure how to define atheism, and your frantic objection is boring me already and indicates you either don't know or are too concerned not to notice.

bawomolo:

is a disagreement between peter higgs and dawkins a sign of atheist division. why do you always go back to richard dawkins as if he is some holy father of atheism?

I reference Dawkins often because his rants are often the same things that many uninformed rationalists like to peddle on the forum - it does not mean that I'm unaware of other atheists.

bawomolo:

hawkins deals with theoretical physics so how u place him in the field of evolutionary biology is a little perplexing here.

My dear bawomolo. . I haven't even mentioned [b]H[/b]awkins. . . where did you read me on that? cheesy
Re: Honest Questions by pilgrim1(f): 9:20am On Sep 21, 2008
@Chrisbenogor,

Chrisbenogor:

@ pilgrim
I know you have told me you come with a bias, and I am sure we have talked about what I believe here on nairaland. The fact that the reply came from you is why I will take this as a personal attack.

We all have our personal biases, and let's not pretend that is a term uniquely applicable to only me. The fact that I was willing to not pretend about it as well as to explain what I meant by my bias should not be taken as a front for attacking people. If you read my reposte as a personal attack, I apologise upfront; but I'll show you why you really did not seek balance in the OP.

Chrisbenogor:

This is what I tried to point out in my post and if fielding me with the atheist so you can practice you new found subtle ways of literal kung fu.

Lol, Chrisbenogor. . . I don't practise any such. cheesy

Chrisbenogor:

I am not defending the total post because I believe I might made mistakes which I will gladly admit to, one of which would be that maybe I did not ask enough questions of the atheists but that is because I am a bit short handed as to the flaws in the scientific theories and would not say what I am not sure about.

We all make mistakes - and I also pointed out in my rejoinders to others that what I really find amazing is the hypocrisy of so many of "us" to point accusing fingers at others on issues which are so very glaring within the camp we seem to ignore.

Chrisbenogor:

The very first lines of my post said that one cannot prove either way. Am I angry? No. But I am flipping disappointed, I am not in anybody's camp if you want me to state it that.

Oh, I'm sorry if you read me anywhere stating that you actually belong to a camp. Neutrality is a middle ground that is doubly difficult to defend. All the same, calm down - we both are disappointed as the case may be, and I highlighted the reason why.

Chrisbenogor:

Yes I have loads of logs in my eyes that I have to remove and I take full responsibility for it! You happy now, I said that the 30000 sects were because of the different interpretations of the bible, and I am not unaware of the atheist camp but I have not been fully one before and cannot go ranting about it.

Chris, I am not forcing you into a position any which way. Even though atheism has been discussed in so many threads, I was not inclined to enter into such a discussion until only recently because it was very alarming to read many people misrepresenting the real issues at the core of such discourses. Just in the same way that people are bound to disagree over interpretations of the Bible, it is evident that atheists themselves have issues of interpretation on issues they hold "sacred". An example is one on the definition of the term atheism itself. Not many people may regard that as of any import; but as I have been trying to make huxley see in another thread, failing to have a grasp of the true meaning of that word is why some have erroneously assumed that children are also atheists! What field of human enquiry has there not been problems of interpretations? We all have them; but often is the case that not so many people point this out as evident even among atheists - but the first and (seemingly) only reference that is often made is about Christians.

Chrisbenogor:

Its ok to defend your position if you want to, but I really expected better from you.

Again, I'm sorry to have disappointed you; but you didn't handle issues properly as one who should have known better. I'm not being sarcastic here, but I think it is just about time that we leave behind the deliberate misrepresentation of issues that have been making the rounds. Not as if the whole body of your OP was insensitive - and I pointed out to to mazaje that it was good you highlighted the fact that you didn't think "the idea of threads based on faith being hijacked by atheists is a good idea".

Chrisbenogor:

Anyway have a great day.

Best wishes. wink
Re: Honest Questions by Nimshi: 9:31am On Sep 21, 2008
My people, abeg; dat sharp guy for physics, him name na Hawking; Stephen Hawking.

bawomolo: di person wey dem dey talk na Richard Dawkins. Him of him books "The God Delusion" dey vex church people well well. One oda guy wey dey vex church people, plus mosque people, na Christopher Hitchens; Hitchens na yeye man small, but sha him book "God is Not Great" funny too mush; church people no like am. Him style different from Dawkins own.

Wetin me I sabi be say as Church get pelenty branch, na im atheists too get plenty. For person to define atheism, e dey easy; too easy kwanu. Consider person wey be theist, him believe in God, a god, gods, or Gods. Person wey be a-theist, for am, belief in God or god or gods or Gods dey absent; shikena. You no need to be professor, or begin try philosophy, or any oda yeye fancy thing to be atheist. When dem born you, you be atheist. Why because: you no believe in any god or God or gods or Gods dat time. People no dey sruggle with all these kain atheism. Di one wey dem no like, na di one wey di atheism dey explicit.

Enjoy o.
Re: Honest Questions by Chrisbenogor(m): 9:33am On Sep 21, 2008
@pilgrim
Its ok, but where would are the atheists supposed to be? The last question of the post, because here is supposed to be for people sharing their beliefs in God or higher powers. You have any ideas
Re: Honest Questions by Nimshi: 9:39am On Sep 21, 2008
Mr. mazaje: I just read your post #2, for where you bin write:

athiest and rationalist have never claimed to posses the ONLY truth, only thiest do, especially christains and moslems. with them its either jesus/allah or eternal perdition,

My bros, hmnnn, no be so o.

First of all, no be all atheists be rationalists; e no good make we merge dem together.

Second of all, no be all theists dey claim say de get truth o. You go find some theists, dem go tell you say dem dey always search for truth correct. And as for the Moslem & Christian brothers & sister, no be all of dem be like dat. We must try be careful to merge everybodi. No be say na only you get di fault o, me ma sef dey do am sometimes.

My favourite senior pastor don enter TV. I dey come.
Re: Honest Questions by pilgrim1(f): 9:41am On Sep 21, 2008
Nimshi:

Mr. mazaje: I just read your post #2, for where you bin write:

My bros, hmnnn, no be so o.

Abeg, Nimshi. . . help me yan am. I no wan talk too much, because small time now, everybody go tink sey me I too bias! undecided
Re: Honest Questions by Nimshi: 9:48am On Sep 21, 2008
Sister Pilgrim.1, no be Sunday for una side? Una no dey go Church? Abi una don return? smiley

Abeg, make una find Church enter for Sunday o. Di one wehn I like, Ed Young, e don enter; nice blue T-shirt, pretty jeans, white sneakers, plus body wey dey kampe; for over 50, na God blessing. Creflo Dollar just finish. For Sunday, na so we dey enjoy.

God bless you.

Mr. mazaje: anytime wey una like, make we talk betta. Also Mr. Chrisbenogor (as I see say you dey around dis Sunday morning too), we all na one big family. We fit argue disagree well well, but we go fit chop together from di same plate, or, at least commot food from di same pot. Repects to everyone.
Re: Honest Questions by pilgrim1(f): 9:59am On Sep 21, 2008
@Chrisbenogor,

Chrisbenogor:

@pilgrim
Its ok, but where would are the atheists supposed to be? The last question of the post, because here is supposed to be for people sharing their beliefs in God or higher powers. You have any ideas

First, I again apologise for the tone of my initial rejoinder: I didn't intend to be read as attacking anyone, especially you.

However, I share your concerns; but even though I toyed with that same question a while back, I felt that possibly the only motherboard that such discussions could be held would be the religious section. My reasons are quite too weak to make sense at this level, but here's why I felt that way:

(1) to share one's faith in higher powers is not constrained to discussions about religion alone. Many people believe that man's intellect and scientific ability could be subscribed as "higher powers" (I actually have seen this cliche used among bloggers in atheist and skeptic websites).

(2) since the religious section is where people are most likely to feel the texture on discussions and debates about theism and atheism, it may be most appropriate to find atheistic threads here as well. It is very difficult for the [b]a[/b]theist to discuss his [b]a[/b]theism without reference to theism or belief in God, deities and the supernatural: they often dovetail somewhere along the lines. So where other than here to have such views expressed?

(3) in my view, atheism and rationalism are not strictly issues about non-belief in God. I'm sure many who are inclined thereto have matters that cut across politics, philosophy, science, etc. Perhaps, these too can be expressed in the various sections accordingly.

On the whole, as I said, my reasons are far too weak at this point to be meaningful - but there they are.

Cheers.
Re: Honest Questions by pilgrim1(f): 10:05am On Sep 21, 2008
@Nimshi,

Nimshi:

Sister Pilgrim.1, no be Sunday for una side? Una no dey go Church? Abi una don return? smiley

Abeg, make una find Church enter for Sunday o. Di one wehn I like, Ed Young, e don enter; nice blue T-shirt, pretty jeans, white sneakers, plus body wey dey kampe; for over 50, na God blessing. Creflo Dollar just finish. For Sunday, na so we dey enjoy.

God bless you.

Bo, I no go lie - na office I dey sidon this morning because na ma shift. So quiet and boring - but wetin I go do? I work small, attend to clients. . . when dem no dey and I get small break, I visit the forum and yan opata. Meanwhile, I sidon here dey listen to one of my favourite pastors online - Charles ('Chuck') R. Swindoll.

Na evening I go attend service after my shift for office.

Bless you plenty.
Re: Honest Questions by Nimshi: 10:17am On Sep 21, 2008
(3) in my view, atheism and rationalism are not strictly issues about non-belief in God. I'm sure many who are inclined thereto have matters that cut across politics, philosophy, science, etc. Perhaps, these too can be expressed in the various sections accordingly.

Na me put di bold o, no be you. But sha, abeg, make you educate me small for di bold part. Why you write so?
Re: Honest Questions by pilgrim1(f): 10:26am On Sep 21, 2008
Hehe. .  grin

I dey actually think of grammar like this one about Naturalism:

[list][list]Philosophical naturalism has been described in various ways. In its broadest and strongest sense, naturalism is the metaphysical position that "nature is all there is and all basic truths are truths of nature." This is generally referred to as metaphysical or ontological naturalism. Another basic form, called methodological naturalism, is the epistemology and methodological principle which forms the foundation for the scientific method. It requires that scientific hypotheses are explained and tested by reference to natural causes and events (highlights all mine)

source: I tif am from Wikipedia[/list][/list]

Make I post others?

Edited:

On Rationalism:

[list][list]In epistemology and in its broadest sense, rationalism is "any view appealing to reason as a source of knowledge or justification" (Lacey 286). In more technical terms it is a method or a theory "in which the criterion of the truth is not sensory but intellectual and deductive" (Bourke 263).

source: again from Wikipedia[/list][/list]
Re: Honest Questions by Nimshi: 10:31am On Sep 21, 2008
Bo, I no go lie - na office I dey sidon this morning because na ma shift. So quiet and boring - but wetin I go do? I work small, attend to clients. . . when them no dey and I get small break, I visit the forum and yan opata. Meanwhile, I sidon here dey listen to one of my favourite pastors online - Charles ('Chuck') R. Swindoll.

Na evening I go attend service after my shift for office.

Hard work no dey (always) kill; me sef just return from shift.

Make God dey bless our hadiwork.
Re: Honest Questions by Nimshi: 10:41am On Sep 21, 2008
Hehe. .

On Rationalism:

In epistemology and in its broadest sense, rationalism is "any view appealing to reason as a source of knowledge or justification" (Lacey 286). In more technical terms it is a method or a theory "in which the criterion of the truth is not sensory but intellectual and deductive" (Bourke 263).

source: again from Wikipedia

Dis na di reason why we must separate rationalism from atheism. When wed ey discuss religion ans atheism, rationalists be special type of atheists, dem dey call dem explicit atheists. Your post here na hammer on top of di nail becos: rationalists wey be atheists na explicit atheists dem be; why? Because dem go argue say belief in God, god, Gods or gods dey irrational, rationalism must use reason to justify everything; so rationalists dey critical, because dem reject existence and/or belief in God, god, Gods or gods. So then, I must agree with you say rationalism no be strictly issue about non-belief in God.

Sooo, my sister, what about di other part: say atheism no be strictly issue about 'non-belief' in God?

Re: Honest Questions by pilgrim1(f): 10:46am On Sep 21, 2008
Off-topic: Please allow me to plead with my very dear friend.

pilgrim.1:

@Chrisbenogor,

I agree with you on one thing - your whole arguement really sucks! I'm really beginning to wonder when we shall actually see men with the intelligence enough to look within themselves and admit that their own premises are notoriously mischievious beyond belief!

Am I angry? No. Disappointed? Yes, and I would ask you to excuse me to point out certain things as to why I most often take a reserved seat and watch the irrational rants of people who assume that theists are non-thinking people.

This idea of berating people on their beliefs simply because you are not looking closely at your own camp is amusing. I have only entered a discussion thereto with dear huxley in a very calm manner to lead him to what he has been missing all along. The goal of reason and rational thought is not to attack people's convictions! I started out in that discussion on one premise - to define atheism proper, noting well that so far my references have been drawn mostly from atheistic sources. The remarkable thing is that between all those who have been quoted, they do not agree as to what the term means - and they do not even need the help of theists to project their disagreement!

Dear Chrisbenogor, it is a small world. If you are disturbed about such issues, first clean up your camp and salute your adulators before trying to demonstrate such irrationality in a public forum. The honest question you should be asking yourself here is whether the very things you pretend not to have noticed among atheists only exists among theists. That we don't talk so very much about them as you guys are wont to noise abroad does not mean that some of us have no inkling about them. Ask, and I would very gladly point them out to you. If otherwise, no worries - I have never been disturbed about the irrationality of polarized thinking among atheists.

Best wishes.

Okay, Saasha, I apologise - I have done so several times to Chrisbenogor. I can't deny the fact since you highlighted them in your IM as above - my irrational rants were uncalled for. I should have been more reasonable. I admit. Please Sash babe, don't keep holding vex for me nah. .  I have come online to appease you publicly by apologising to him. Can I call you now? undecided
Re: Honest Questions by Nimshi: 11:03am On Sep 21, 2008
Well, as you don post dis one now, person fit ask: you don find dat definition of atheism? Abi you never find? If fit supply di definition wey dey basic:

Anywhere wey you find absence of belief in God, god, Gods, gods, na atheism you don find be dat. Betta example to use na pikin wey dem just born: new pikin no believe in God, d pikin na atheist. Na so we be, including you, when dem born us. I hope say dat one go fit helep well well.

Re: Honest Questions by pilgrim1(f): 11:11am On Sep 21, 2008
Boo. . . @Nimshi,

No vex. I no mean to log out immediately like that. Na my bosom friend, colleague and critical reviewer of my post ('saasha') been dey on my neck for my dirty dorti opata wey I reply Chris. No be small tin O. . rather sey make I lose her friendship, me I jus adjust jeje and come back to do wetin she "demand". Phew! Luckily, we dey yan beta now, I thank God! grin me sef, I stubborn somtimes!

Anyways. .

Nimshi:

Dis na di reason why we must separate rationalism from atheism. When wed ey discuss religion ans atheism, rationalists be special type of atheists, them dey call them explicit atheists. Your post here na hammer on top of di nail because: rationalists wey be atheists na explicit atheists them be; why? Because them go argue say belief in God, god, Gods or gods dey irrational, rationalism must use reason to justify everything; so rationalists dey critical, because them reject existence and/or belief in God, god, Gods or gods. So then, I must agree with you say rationalism no be strictly issue about non-belief in God.

You too correct! Carried! cheesy

Nimshi:

Sooo, my sister, what about di other part: say atheism no be strictly issue about 'non-belief' in God?

Well, I dey think of matters about the "-isms" wey dey inside "atheism". Dis na when our atheist friends rub minds together to distinguish all the matters wey different kinds of philosophies mix to produce the different kinds of atheistic inclinations. When this kind tin dey happen, our friends no dey particularly concerned about God-talk; rather they dey busy themselves with oda matters about atheistic philosophies. For example, such talk na im bring about the philosophy wey them dey call "[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C4%81rv%C4%81ka]Cārvāka[/url]". Dem no dey concern demsef with so much talk about God and deities; but them also get many matters to share wey gather like-minded people around that idea. I no know if I yan correct?
Re: Honest Questions by pilgrim1(f): 11:17am On Sep 21, 2008
Nimshi:

Well, as you don post this one now, person fit ask: you don find that definition of atheism? Abi you never find? If fit supply di definition wey dey basic:

Anywhere wey you find absence of belief in God, god, Gods, gods, na atheism you don find be that. Betta example to use na pikin wey them just born: new pikin no believe in God, d pikin na atheist. Na so we be, including you, when them born us. I hope say that one go fit helep well well.

You gather substance well well, and I like that. wink

But e fit be sey you go see where I dey go with how I understand atheism for definition. I don take some time elucidate from anoda thread: "Moral Victory".
Re: Honest Questions by simmy(m): 11:19am On Sep 21, 2008
i think most atheists are miffed by the fact that most religious people claim their views to be the ABSOLUTE TRUTH! but it never fails to amuse me when they post their 'beliefs' about the non existence of God with such conviction. isnt that an absolute view in itself? there are really no in-betweens,  its either the Dude exists or He doesnt.

Most atheists criticise religion as illogical. I quite agree. a lot of our religious beliefs stem from naivete and ignorance but religion isnt science and so its not neccesarily fact based. a lot of questions are left unanswered by religion and that is why its a faith. You just have to BELIEVE.

Science (or if u prefer logic) hasnt anwered all questions either. in fact come to think of it, if the more answers we get through science the more questions are raised. face the fact! Life is amystery and even science has learnt to borrow faith from religion. Even though TOE raises more questions than it answers, most scientists live and die and would swear by it. If thats not faith,  what is?

Nobody knows how we got here; not even the rational anti-creationist pro evolution eggheads who concot more and more elaborate illogically logical theories to explain away the inanity of TOE while turning a blind eye to the mounting evidence to suggest that their theory does not work. When you point this out to them, they re quick to point out to you that TOE might not be perfect yet, but it seeks to make sense of a fact that does not seem to make sense,  the prescence of life!

Scientific approach

Life exists- FACT

We have noticed that life was biochemically much simpler in times past
- FACTUAL OBSERVATION

Lets attempt to explain what we have seen- TOE

However, there are still a lot of questions yet to be answered:

How did it all start?

how do we explain the sudden appearnace of complex life forms with our model of gradual increase in complexity?

how come evolution disobeys some fundamental laws?

do we have any real examples of speciation?

why do we pretend like variation and speciation are the same thing?

how come most of our fossil findings are nothing similar to what TOE really predicts?

how come we are always silent about these dissapointing fossils, yet make alot of noise about the few and far in between fossils that seem to strenghten TOE s arguements?

If we weren't created,  how did we get here?

how come blablablayadayadayada?

Religiion isnt that much different

Life exists- FACT

Ok, if life exists, then how did we get here?- *did someone or something put us here?

there is obvioulsy a rationality behind the design of life (blind or not)- how come?

to what purpsose are these designs?

If someone or something put us here for a reason, then what are we supposed to be doing?

If God loves us why are we suffering so much?

If God is so powerful why doesnt He just kill the devil?

Why is God invisible,  why doesnt He just reveal Himslef to us and make us all His children forever> He loves us doesnt He?

If He loves us so much why is He sending most of us (you, if you re an atheist that is) to hell?

Now all theology is an attempt to explain away the questions stated above. ?It is evident from all the verbose that exists in most religious literature that these are not easy questions to answer.

The point i am trying to make from my verbose is that Science and religion are both attempts by rational people to explain the irrationality that we re forced to face in life every single day.

Religion does not make sense!
Neither does Science.
but remember

''everything is foolishness,  a chasing of the wind"

If i wasnt this much of a Christian, i d probably be agnostic. because the truth is no one knows the truth. Like one of my pastors used to say "when we finally know the truth, we''ll be Gods ourselves.''

Please note that by religion i m referring primarily to Xtianity and secondarily to other eligions similar to Xtianity
Re: Honest Questions by Nimshi: 1:12pm On Sep 21, 2008
Chei! Sis pilgrim.1, thank you as you send me go see dat other discussion. I don rush thru write sumtin. I go read more more. You try o, for here & for there; you too much.
Re: Honest Questions by PastorAIO: 7:09pm On Sep 21, 2008
simmy:
Life is amystery

QFT!!! Abeg give yourself a big round of applause, I am clapping for you here.

simmy:

Scientific approach

Life exists- FACT

We have noticed that life was biochemically much simpler in times past
- FACTUAL OBSERVATION

Lets attempt to explain what we have seen- TOE

how come most of our fossil findings are nothing similar to what TOE really predicts?

how come we are always silent about these dissapointing fossils, yet make alot of noise about the few and far in between fossils that seem to strenghten TOE s arguements?

Please can you give us references so we can further explore about the issue of fossil findings contradicting TOE. books or websites, I don't mind. Also, what are the fundamental laws that TOE contradicts.
Re: Honest Questions by bawomolo(m): 7:21pm On Sep 21, 2008

explain more einstein
Re: Honest Questions by Nobody: 10:41pm On Sep 21, 2008
Very good.

Thesis + Anti-thesis = Synthesis
Re: Honest Questions by simmy(m): 6:47pm On Jan 24, 2009
@BAmolowo and AIO
just saw your questions after all this while.cant even remeber this post ut its a known fact tht TOE contradicts the laws of thermodynamics

(1) (Reply)

Is It A Sin To Be A Soldier? / Part 14. How Do We Assure Ourselves That We Are Dead To Self? / Too Blessed To Be Rejected- Pastor Anita

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.