Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,707 members, 7,809,687 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:09 PM

Fasting, God's Way - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Fasting, God's Way (1390 Views)

Why Atheists Can Never Understand God's Way / Quit Giving Monies To Your Churches Every Sundays "If Not" Used In God's Way / Man's Way Vs God's Way. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fasting, God's Way by plusQueen: 9:40pm On Sep 29, 2008
Christians don't have to announce to the world that they are fasting or rearranging their eating or feeding times.
It is purely between you and your God and God who sees in secret knows it.
There is a proper way to fast according to the Holy scriptures.
Let's discuss it here.
Why should a Christian fast and how should he/she fast?
Re: Fasting, God's Way by plusQueen: 9:44pm On Sep 29, 2008
Matthew 6:16–17 (NKJV)

16 “Moreover, when you fast, do not be like the hypocrites, with a sad countenance. For they disfigure their faces that they may appear to men to be fasting. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. 17 But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, 18
Re: Fasting, God's Way by helpee(m): 9:47pm On Sep 29, 2008
you are right but it is not wrong too if you tell people you are fasting.
what Jesus was saying pure and simple is that you don't have to be a hypocrite.
people may know and they may not know, just be faithful. simple.
Re: Fasting, God's Way by plusQueen: 9:47pm On Sep 29, 2008
matt 9

14 Then the disciples of John came to Him, saying, “Why do we and the Pharisees fast often,[a] but Your disciples do not fast?”
15 And Jesus said to them, “Can the friends of the bridegroom mourn as long as the bridegroom is with them? But the days will come when the bridegroom will be taken away from them, and then they will fast

It is not a ritualistic exercise either
Re: Fasting, God's Way by plusQueen: 9:51pm On Sep 29, 2008
helpee:

you are right but it is not wrong too if you tell people you are fasting.[/b]what Jesus was saying pure and simple is that you don't have to be a hypocrite.
people may know and they may not know, just be faithful. simple.

Matthew 6:17-18 (New King James Version)

17 But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, 18 [b]so that you do not appear to men to be fasting, but to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.
[a]

a public announcement in a radio,is not a fast biblically speaking
Re: Fasting, God's Way by helpee(m): 9:57pm On Sep 29, 2008
plus_Queen:

matt 9

14 Then the disciples of John came to Him, saying, “Why do we and the Pharisees fast often,[a] but Your disciples do not fast?”
15 And Jesus said to them, “Can the friends of the bridegroom mourn as long as the bridegroom is with them? But the days will come when the bridegroom will be taken away from them, and then they will fast

It is not a ritualistic exercise either
note that Jesus did not ask the disciples of john how they got to know the pharisees were fasting.
even when Jesus disciples were not fasting, others knew they were not fasting.
so, people may know or they may not know, just do your thing.
have you ever thought about it? how did people know that Jesus fasted for forty days and night?
who was there with him?
either he told people or people knew somehow.
Re: Fasting, God's Way by helpee(m): 10:03pm On Sep 29, 2008
plus_Queen:

a public announcement in a radio,is not a fast biblically speaking

So how did the Israelite announced among themselves that they should all fast when Esther told them to fast for three days. announcing it is not the issue. it is the motive behind the announcement.
have you forgotten that after Jonah preached in Nineveh, they declared a national fasting for forgiveness.
so, if Nigeria want to declare a fasting, our sins are more than nineveh self, how do you go about it? you go to CNN of course
Re: Fasting, God's Way by jennykadri: 10:04pm On Sep 29, 2008
i fast wen i have backslided and trying to reconnect/reconcile wt my God,when i want smthing and its delaying,for purification and so many other reasons
Re: Fasting, God's Way by affee(f): 10:06pm On Sep 29, 2008
Some people fast 6 to 6 without opening a passage of the scripture
I call this kind of fasting punishment
while fasting open the word and feed your soul
so that as your physical body is denied what it needs your spirit man is strenghtened
sing songs of praises too

you dont have to tell people you are fasting
except when you are offered food
in naijamost people dont say I'm fasting they rather say I'm on the mountain
Re: Fasting, God's Way by plusQueen: 1:33am On Sep 30, 2008
helpee:

even when Jesus disciples were not fasting, others knew they were not fasting.

I don't know how this relates to the topic at hand.
Are we talking of a public display of fasting or not fasting? shocked shocked
have you ever thought about it? how did people know that Jesus fasted for forty days and night?
who was there with him?
either he told people or people knew somehow.

The scriptures reported that he fasted.That's how you and I know
That does not translate to an announcement for fasting.
We also know Elizabeth gave birth to John the Baptist even though Elkanah may not have actually announced when he "knew his wife"
catch my drift?
Re: Fasting, God's Way by plusQueen: 1:38am On Sep 30, 2008
helpee:

[/b]

So how did the Israelite announced among themselves that they should all fast when Esther told them to fast for three days. announcing it is not the issue. it is the motive behind the announcement.
have you forgotten that after Jonah preached in Nineveh, they declared a national fasting for forgiveness.
so, if Nigeria want to declare a fasting, our sins are more than nineveh self, how do you go about it? you go to CNN of course

On radio Israelite?
I don't care about the actions of the Israelites, the Amorites, the perizittes, the jebusites and the Hitittes grin
I care most about the very teachings of Christ.

A church can declare a fast amongst it's members but the day they go beyond the 4 walls of the church to give out a public announcement like so.
The Church of "what's happening now" has all it's members fasting 6 to 6 every week of the month and the members of the church at every opportunity remind you that they are fasting, my brother,that is not Biblical if you believe the scriptures quoted earlier,they are not my words.

See the words of Jesus again.
17 But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, 18 so that you do not appear to men to be fasting, but to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly

You may argue with it but they are not my words
Re: Fasting, God's Way by davidylan4(m): 2:12am On Sep 30, 2008
helpee:

You're conflating two issues, God dealt with the jews AS A NATION but deals with us AS INDIVIDUALS.
Re: Fasting, God's Way by JJYOU: 2:19am On Sep 30, 2008
this is fasting 101. i am watching
Re: Fasting, God's Way by Cayon(f): 4:43am On Sep 30, 2008
plus_Queen:

Christians don't have to announce to the world that they are fasting or rearranging their eating or feeding times.
It is purely between you and your God and God who sees in secret knows it.

There is a proper way to fast according to the Holy scriptures.
Let's discuss it here.
Why should a Christian fast and how should he/she fast?
re the highlight. I couldn't have said it any better. Fasting could be to draw closer to God personally or it could be for guidance with some problem that the individual or someone else is having. also one should include prayer with fasting

Peace
Re: Fasting, God's Way by helpee(m): 5:47am On Sep 30, 2008
@plus_Queen link
I don't know how this relates to the topic at hand.
Are we talking of a public display of fasting or not fasting?
you don't get it. they expected to know if the disciples were fasting and jesus did not see anything wrong in that .he only told them it wasnt  yet time

The scriptures reported that he fasted.That's how you and I know
That does not translate to an announcement for fasting.
We also know Elizabeth gave birth to John the Baptist even though Elkanah may not have actually announced when he "knew his wife"

catch my drift.
nope i don't catch it. you are offline. was it angels that smuggled the information into the scripture.
everybody knew elizabeth was pregnant so they will be foolish to claim ignorance when john was born.
it is an open secret that husband and wife sleeps together so fasting too should be an open secret
Re: Fasting, God's Way by helpee(m): 6:06am On Sep 30, 2008
@davidylan
You're conflating two issues, God dealt with the jews AS A NATION but deals with us AS INDIVIDUALS.

i am hearing that for the first time and that is heresy.
God should give each of us different bibles then.
the church is our own nation

@plus_Queen link
@plus-queen
On radio Israelite?
[b]I don't care about the actions of  the Israelites, the Amorites, the perizittes, the jebusites and the Hitittes grin
I care most about the very teachings of Christ.
[/b]
the actions of isrealites you say? jesus did not fall from heaven. he came through the isrealites and he used previous scriptures to preach not a new one. if i ask you now, you will hypocritically tell me you believe in tithe but it not a teaching of jesus. if you dont care about the old testament, it is because you know nothing about the new testament.

A church can declare a fast amongst it's members but the day they go beyond the 4 walls of the church to give out a public announcement like so.
The Church of "what's happening now" has all it's members fasting 6 to 6 every week of the month [b]and the members of the church at every opportunity remind you that they are fasting, my brother,that is not Biblical
if you believe the scriptures quoted earlier,they are not my words.

See the words of Jesus again.
17 But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, 18 [b]so that you do not appear to men to be fasting, but to your Father who is in the secret place
; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly

You may argue with it but they are not my words[/b]
[/b]

my dear, how are you people reading your own bible.
what jesus is saying is simple enough. dont go out of your to let people know you are fasting so that they wont start sympathising with you. my friend, you can blow it on CNN but let people wonder wether you are really fasting by dressing well, not neccessarily moody.
Re: Fasting, God's Way by JJYOU: 3:19am On Nov 03, 2008
how did you guys kill this so young? sister nwando where arth thou? hope you and the family are well? God bless
Re: Fasting, God's Way by DavidDylan(m): 3:38am On Nov 03, 2008
helpee:

@davidylan

i am hearing that for the first time and that is heresy.
God should give each of us different bibles then.
the church is our own nation

Sad commentary on the state of the modern "christian".
Re: Fasting, God's Way by Chrisbenogor(m): 10:53am On Nov 03, 2008
Why God requires people to starve is a wonder, and somebody says he does not like pain.
Who knows the psychological effects of staying without food for forty days and nights?
Surely one would start seeing things and say the spirit is with him.
Lol.
Re: Fasting, God's Way by abujabooks(f): 2:25am On Nov 05, 2008
Fasting! Somethings do not go away except thru fasting.
Re: Fasting, God's Way by pilgrim1(f): 10:01am On Nov 05, 2008
Chrisbenogor:

Why God requires people to starve is a wonder, and somebody says he does not like pain.
Who knows the psychological effects of staying without food for forty days and nights?

It is not a requirement to fast forty days and nights. wink

(1) (Reply)

Imo: Bishops March Against Abortion Bill / Do U Think Our Forefathers B4 Islam Or Christain Are In Hell / Is This True Love? pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.