Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,443 members, 7,812,330 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:46 AM

Nairaland Official Chess Thread! - Gaming (40) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Nairaland Official Chess Thread! (116371 Views)

Chess Basics For Beginners / Nairaland's Official Instagram Thread; Post Your IG Handles. / Nairaland Official PSP Apps,games,tutorials & H@cks(striclty For PSP Fans Only) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Najdorf: 12:47am On Oct 14, 2020
Gmajor:

Such a group does not exist (yet).

If enough people will be interested, I can create a such a group.
Even if I add you on chess.com without knowing when you'll be online, it will be an exercise in futility
I think a WhatsApp group will be great if we can get enough people that are actually interested in the game.

We could create a thread(maybe over at the Education board) to invite people to the group. The Gaming section isn't really that popular, so less people see threads posted here.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Najdorf: 12:49am On Oct 14, 2020
Igbosmoker:
add me on chess.com

My username is edodefender.

If you've whatsapp group for chess players, send me the link
I sent you a request. I'm Marco over there.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by 2019prophets(m): 12:50am On Oct 29, 2020
Gmajor:

Even if I add you on chess.com without knowing when you'll be online, it will be an exercise in futility

I'm interested to join
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Gmajor(m): 12:59am On Oct 29, 2020
2019prophets:

I'm interested to join

Drop your Whatsapp number
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by 2019prophets(m): 1:03am On Oct 29, 2020
Gmajor:

Drop your Whatsapp number
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 11:59pm On Jul 13, 2021
Chess world cup is ongoing
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Najdorf: 11:12am On Jul 15, 2021
The only Nigerian playing has already been eliminated, too bad
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Martinez39s(m): 3:22pm On Jun 24, 2022
Too bad this thread is cold. Is anyone following the 2022 Fide Candidates Tournament?

Nepomniachtchi and Caruana are moving strongly. They didn't disappoint me. I had high hopes for Ding Liren and I was hoping he would get his chances to challenge Magnus Carlsen, but his chance is slipping. Let's see how it goes.

Firouzja showed promise at the start, but it seems he can't eat the meat meant for his elders. The youngster will have to wait. As for Hikaru, I am impressed, especially with how he squeezed out a draw from Firouzja with perfect play.

STANDINGS AFTER ROUND 6.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Martinez39s(m): 8:30pm On Jun 29, 2022
Fabiano Caruana has lost twice in his last three games; too bad he couldn't capitalise. Ding Liren finally picked up his first win. Finally, Nakamura is catching up, but he could have better in his previous game against Radjabov.

Standings in the 2022 Fide Candidates Tournament.

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Najdorf: 9:23pm On Jun 29, 2022
Martinez39s:
Fabiano Caruana has lost twice in his last three games; too bad he couldn't capitalise. Ding Liren finally picked up his first win. Finally, Nakamura is catching up, but he could have better in his previous game against Radjabov.

Standings in the 2022 Fide Candidates Tournament.
Do you have a lichess/chess.com handle sir?
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Martinez39s(m): 2:58am On Jun 30, 2022
Najdorf:

Do you have a lichess/chess.com handle sir?
No, sir.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Martinez39s(m): 9:16pm On Jun 30, 2022
Caruana lost again, against Ding Liren this time. This makes it three loses in four games for him. From closely chasing Nepomniachtchi to slipping to fourth place.

Nepomniachtchi is playing like a champion at this point and I don't see anyone rubbing his shoulders if he continues like this. Ding Liren and Nakamura have rises from the dead.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by joviegghead: 1:58pm On Jul 01, 2022
Martinez39s:
Caruana lost again, against Ding Liren this time. This makes it three loses in four games for him. From closely chasing Nepomniachtchi to slipping to fourth place.

Nepomniachtchi is playing like a champion at this point and I don't see anyone rubbing his shoulders if he continues like this. Ding Liren and Nakamura have rises from the dead.
Typical Ding.

Starts poorly, and starts winning or doing well later.
Very sad. Cuz I like him and he's probably the only person, apart from Fabi, who can trouble Carlsen.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Martinez39s(m): 5:28pm On Jul 01, 2022
joviegghead:

Typical Ding.

Starts poorly, and starts winning or doing well later.
Very sad. Cuz I like him and he's probably the only person, apart from Fabi, who can trouble Carlsen.
True. grin That's Ding Liren's pattern. Anyway, Nakamura and Nepomniachtchi just played a quick draw; Ding Liren just suffered a shocking loss to Radjabov; and Caruana-Rapport and Duda-Firouzja games are still ongoing.

Firouzja missed a clear opportunity to fork Duda's queen and knight. His blunder has shifted things in Duda's favour. The candidates isn’t Firouzja's tournament. I expected a bit more from him though.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by joviegghead: 7:25pm On Jul 01, 2022
Martinez39s:
True. grin That's Ding Liren's pattern. Anyway, Nakamura and Nepomniachtchi just played a quick draw; Ding Liren just suffered a shocking loss to Radjabov; and Caruana-Rapport and Duda-Firouzja games are still ongoing.

Firouzja missed a clear opportunity to fork Duda's queen and knight. His blunder has shifted things in Duda's favour. The candidates isn’t Firouzja's tournament. I expected a bit more from him though.

Ding's loss is really painful.

But then again, it's Ding. Nepo emerging the winner of this year's candidates means the world will not be seeing a new world champion anytime soon.
I mean, I don't see him being able to beat magnus.
As for Alireza, he still has time to improve. I wasn't expecting a lot from him.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Martinez39s(m): 4:35pm On Jul 03, 2022
Ian Nepomniachtchi has won the 2022 Fide Candidates Tournament with a round to spare after securing a draw against Richard Rapport.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Martinez39s(m): 4:52pm On Jul 03, 2022
Ian Nepomniachtchi will now challenge the great Magnus Carlsen for the world championship crown. Nepo suffered no loss and he played like a champion who came prepared. Congratulations!

Picture source: chess.com

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Najdorf: 6:38pm On Jul 03, 2022
joviegghead:

Not true. If he can trouble Carlsen he should have won the Candidates at least once in his two attempts.

Nepo mentally collapsed after Game 6 but before that people forget how close the match with Carlsen was.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by joviegghead: 7:15pm On Jul 03, 2022
Najdorf:

Not true. If he can trouble Carlsen he should have won the Candidates at least once in his two attempts.

Nepo mentally collapsed after Game 6 but before that people forget how close the match with Carlsen was.
LOL.

No one cares about when he failed. He failed woefully. Magnus crushed him.

Fabi went the whole 12 games. And magnus couldnt break him.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Najdorf: 6:15am On Jul 04, 2022
joviegghead:

LOL.

No one cares about when he failed. He failed woefully. Magnus crushed him.

Fabi went the whole 12 games. And magnus couldnt break him.

Then Fabi should have won the Candidates either in 2020 or this year, simple.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by nymphomaniac(m): 4:43pm On Jul 04, 2022
I want to be FIDE rated. How do I go about it?

Good day guys
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Martinez39s(m): 9:34pm On Jul 04, 2022
The 2022 Fide Candidates Tournament has ended. Here are the final standings.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Martinez39s(m): 9:40pm On Jul 04, 2022
Ian Nepomniachtchi played like a real champion and suffered no loss in the tournament.

Fabiano Caruana started on a brilliant note, closely chasing Nepo, but ended the tournament in a very disappointing fashion. I expected more from him.

Nakamura loss to Ding Liren on the final day meant he gave up second place to Ding Liren. Ding Liren would have done better if he didn't succumb to his usual pattern of starting poorly and finishing excellently.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Martinez39s(m): 10:12am On Jul 05, 2022
Do you know?

Nepomniachtchi's result in the 2022 Fide Candidates Tournament is actually a record in the history of the tournament since the format was introduced in 2013.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Emeka71(m): 2:40pm On Jul 12, 2022
I'm playing one kind of chess on mobile.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by GzuzKrist: 7:22pm On Jul 23, 2022
Abeg, does anyone know how to join ncf?
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by joywendy(f): 8:43am On Sep 01, 2022
Gmajor:

There are chess groups for chess players. Please don't come online to spread misinformation.

There is a Chess National Group on WhatsApp and Facebook

Here Facebook link: https:///235703236116/

You can use this to ask for access to the WhatsApp group

There is an Nigerian Chess players online group

There is a group for African Chess Players.

Kindly do your research. It's better to say you don't know than saying it doesn't exist
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by uche40(f): 6:24pm On Oct 21, 2022
For anyone following the Magnus Carlsen vs Hans Niemann drama, the latest update this morning is that Hans has sued Carlsen. I already created a thread to discuss this before I found out there was a Chess thread on this forum

https://www.nairaland.com/7394813/chess-news-magnus-carlsen-sued

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by joywendy(f): 8:20pm On Feb 15, 2023
How this thread just died needs to be studied honestly
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by onegig(m): 6:05pm On Feb 16, 2023
joywendy:
How this thread just died needs to be studied honestly

To keep a farm going. You have to tend to it. cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (Reply)

Pls Help Me On How I Can Install PES 2013 On My Computer. / Efootball PES 2024 PPSSPP Android Game Download / How To Use Cheats On Android PPSSPP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.