Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,373 members, 7,826,471 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 02:47 PM

Serious Labour Shortage In South Africa - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Serious Labour Shortage In South Africa (2836 Views)

Tony Blair Wants Chuka Umunna To Be The Next Labour Leader / 'We Are Living In Fear' -Nigerians In South Africa Cry Out / 2013 Xenophobia Video In South African (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Serious Labour Shortage In South Africa by adconline(m): 10:22pm On Oct 02, 2008
South Africa faces critical skills shortage: official Thu Oct 2, 1:16 PM ET

South Africa can't find enough skilled workers to deliver local services to the public, a top official said Thursday in delivering an annual report on the government's performance.

Frank Chikane, director general in the president's office, said that eight years ago, financial constraints were the main limit to delivering government services.

"Now we are reporting a budget surplus, but lack of capacity to spend the money, especially at the local government level, is slowing service delivery," Chikane told reporters.

"Some municipalities do not even have a single engineer. That is a huge problem," he added.

The government has launched a joint effort with private companies to train people in skills currently in short supply.

However, the programme has not yet produced enough experienced candidates to fill the growing number of vacant jobs.

The report said the government's fixed investment grew by 14.8 percent in 2007, accounting for 20.6 percent of gross domestic product.

This is the highest investment ratio achieved since 1985 and takes South Africa closer to the government's target of investment as 25 percent of the GDP by 2014.

But the report warned the country still needs to do more to combat unemployment and crime.

Despite being Africa's largest economy, South Africa is still struggling with high levels of unemployment, officially put at 25 percent but believed by analysts to be nearer 40 percent.

"Unemployment is at the heart of poverty, and while social grants can provide relief, employment creation is necessary in breaking the circle," said the report.

Crime also remains one of South Africa's biggest challenges ahead of the 2010 football Word Cup.

Official figures indicate that around 50 murders are committed in the country every day, making it one of the highest rates in the world.

According to the report, latest official crime statistics released three months ago showed murder figures at the lowest level since 1994/95.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081002/wl_africa_afp/safricapoliticseducationeconomy&printer=1;_ylt=At3N6vq8iXC_U8DUrjUgobGZsdEF
Re: Serious Labour Shortage In South Africa by Mpele(m): 7:51am On Oct 03, 2008
Yes you're right we have serious labour shortage, but you must also realise the fact that the article is from Yahoo. They're like the BBC and CNN. They write negatively, when writing about Africa. So the article does not have any value what so ever.

The real problem in South Africa is the massive inequalities when coming to the economy. Rich whites and poor blacks, coloureds and to some extent Indians. But the level of poverty cannot be compared the poverty that is experienced by the rest of the continent. Thats why even if there is poverty you don't have people jumping fences to other African countries.

South Africa is exatly like Brazil, where whites are a bit richer, then you have your Afro Brazillians and Pardos who're bit poorer compared to Whites. The situation is exatly the same here. The crime in most cases in the townships where you have gun wielding gangs and thugs, just like in the American neighbourhoods and Brazillian favelas.

You also have 60% of rich blacks who're affluent and live leafy surbubs.

The bottom line is that we have problems and we're working hard to address them, unlike other countries in our continent where the is absoloutly no life at all. Where there is doom and gloom. Where people will even die in the ocean trying to escape poverty.
Re: Serious Labour Shortage In South Africa by Angelheart: 11:18am On Oct 03, 2008
Well what can I say, SA is alive with possibilities. Truth is, to address skills shortage issue, the government is spending money on scholarships to send the citizens abroad sothat they can acquire skills and THEN return back home impart them. Something that most of these African countries (INCLUDING NIGERIA) cannot do for their people. Yet they claim to have resources. Im in the world's best Uni here in the UK and my government is footing the bill. It was so embarrassing to learn that some west african students (Ghanian students) were threatened to be kicked out of the uni because their government could not pay. What a shame!! undecided. But at least they try. NIGERIANS cannot even send one STUDENT for a PhD to study here. SO much for being a'HEART'of Africa.

As for crime: What do you expect? With more than a million foreigners, most of which are illegal, crime will escelate. Like Mpele said, stop jumping fences to get into the countries because we are sick and tired of reading about how a lion attached some man at the kruger national park because they were trying to gain illegal entry to South Africa.
Re: Serious Labour Shortage In South Africa by Kobojunkie: 3:28pm On Oct 03, 2008
How is this grand scholarship scheme going to cost the government? Isn’t it more economical to bring the instructors to South Africa and pay them to teach the citizens within their own borders?
Re: Serious Labour Shortage In South Africa by bawomolo(m): 4:52pm On Oct 03, 2008
Angelheart:

Well what can I say, SA is alive with possibilities. Truth is, to address skills shortage issue, the government is spending money on scholarships to send the citizens abroad sothat they can acquire skills and THEN return back home impart them. Something that most of these African countries (INCLUDING NIGERIA) cannot do for their people. Yet they claim to have resources. I'm in the world's best Uni here in the UK and my government is footing the bill. It was so embarrassing to learn that some west african students (Ghanian students) were threatened to be kicked out of the uni because their government could not pay. What a shame!! undecided. But at least they try. NIGERIANS cannot even send one STUDENT for a PhD to study here. SO much for being a'HEART'of Africa.

As for crime: What do you expect? With more than a million foreigners, most of which are illegal, crime will escelate. Like Mpele said, stop jumping fences to get into the countries because we are sick and tired of reading about how a lion attached some man at the kruger national park because they were trying to gain illegal entry to South Africa.

do you have to take shots at nigeria anytime u get it's not a must u associate with us. you know
Re: Serious Labour Shortage In South Africa by Angelheart: 5:05pm On Oct 03, 2008
Bawolomo: Its amazing how sensitive you (And some Nigerians) become when something of this nature is said about Nigeria. I'm certain you are a busy person but one day you should take 5 minutes of your time and go through my first few posts in Nairaland anf tell me how I am supposed to react towards the Naijas in this forum. This post alone is surrounded by connotations. I have nothing agains Naijas at all. I mean use your common sense my brother, would I be here.  I'm in about 4 forums and will go and leave as I please. Take no ofense

@Kobo: You are right. I guess it does make sense that they bring in experts to tranfer knowledge TO the country BUT, it does not apply in all fields.  In my field, we do not yet have all the equipment that is needed to carry out the research. It is somewhat costly and moreover, learning is not limited the classroom. When in a foreign area and surrounded by experts in your field, you start are forced to do things the 'SCIENTIFIC' way. You become independent and way too outspoken. You leadership skills are being groomed for the better. There are More opportunities when it comes to attending conferences, training sessions which takes place on a regular basis. 

How does Nigeria do it? Do they bring in the experts or do they send their citizens abroad?
Re: Serious Labour Shortage In South Africa by bawomolo(m): 5:26pm On Oct 03, 2008
most of your posts are SA great, nigeria bad. we get it already. talk about something else rather than the same old mumbo jumbo. there are scholarship and loan programs in nigeria chevron and PHB bank are companies that do such things. but of course an antagonist person won't talk about that.
Re: Serious Labour Shortage In South Africa by Angelheart: 11:28am On Oct 04, 2008
Im not an antagonist,

I will most certainly talk good about my country. I am SOuth African afterall. I see you did not do ur homework very well. Told you to go through my posts. There was a time when I was apologeic and was actually repremanding Nigerians in this country for talking their country down! Stupid me!!
Re: Serious Labour Shortage In South Africa by davidylan4(m): 4:19pm On Oct 04, 2008
Angelheart:

Well what can I say, SA is alive with possibilities. Truth is, to address skills shortage issue, the government is spending money on scholarships to send the citizens abroad sothat they can acquire skills and THEN return back home impart them. Something that most of these African countries (INCLUDING NIGERIA) cannot do for their people. Yet they claim to have resources. I'm in the world's best Uni here in the UK and my government is footing the bill. It was so embarrassing to learn that some west african students (Ghanian students) were threatened to be kicked out of the uni because their government could not pay. What a shame!! undecided. But at least they try. NIGERIANS cannot even send one STUDENT for a PhD to study here. SO much for being a'HEART'of Africa.

Could it be because most of us are in the US and UK where the standard of education is actually higher than that cesspit of crime and racism?
Re: Serious Labour Shortage In South Africa by bawomolo(m): 9:28pm On Oct 04, 2008
Angelheart:

I'm not an antagonist,

I will most certainly talk good about my country. I am SOuth African afterall. I see you did not do ur homework very well. Told you to go through my posts. There was a time when I was apologeic and was actually repremanding Nigerians in this country for talking their country down! Stupid me!!

oh am sorry that nigeria isn't sending students to your great country.
Re: Serious Labour Shortage In South Africa by Angelheart: 11:37pm On Oct 04, 2008
bawomolo:

Its not sending them ANYWHERE!!
Re: Serious Labour Shortage In South Africa by Angelheart: 11:50pm On Oct 04, 2008
bawomolo:

But they are not sending then ANYWHERE. Fortunately for those trhat come from rich families (Probably due to fraud and swindling) do come to our Universities.

davidylan*:

Could it be because most of us are in the US and UK where the standard of education is actually higher than that [b]cesspit of crime [/b]and racism?
Crime? Ask Oprah Winfrey, BBC, CNN, and they will tell you who the criminals are. So much for 419'ers and Yahoo boys. As for the standard of education, its ok to make yourself to feel better once in a while. I guess your people are educated right? Hmmmm, So much for Nigerians squatting illegaly all over the place. Your 'High' standard of education' is surely performing wonderful miracles for your country' undecided
Re: Serious Labour Shortage In South Africa by tpia: 1:23am On Oct 05, 2008
Re: Serious Labour Shortage In South Africa by Angelheart: 1:54am On Oct 05, 2008
I grew up in one of those black enclaves tpia? Am I allergic to education??
Re: Serious Labour Shortage In South Africa by tpia: 2:04am On Oct 05, 2008
Re: Serious Labour Shortage In South Africa by Angelheart: 2:11am On Oct 05, 2008
tpia tpia tpia, I picked up some bit of humour there smiley, Nah, unfortunately I was not there. But Im quite certain my pals represented me very well, wink
Re: Serious Labour Shortage In South Africa by tpia: 2:18am On Oct 05, 2008
Re: Serious Labour Shortage In South Africa by Angelheart: 2:23am On Oct 05, 2008
I answered ur question tpia! Are you so much of the Tebula Rasa? CHAI!! I dey vex nau! grin
Re: Serious Labour Shortage In South Africa by tpia: 2:32am On Oct 05, 2008
Re: Serious Labour Shortage In South Africa by Angelheart: 4:12pm On Oct 05, 2008
Ok TB!!
Re: Serious Labour Shortage In South Africa by Kobojunkie: 9:29pm On Oct 05, 2008
Angelheart:

@Kobo: You are right. I guess it does make sense that they bring in experts to tranfer knowledge TO the country BUT, it does not apply in all fields. In my field, we do not yet have all the equipment that is needed to carry out the research. It is somewhat costly and moreover, learning is not limited the classroom. When in a foreign area and surrounded by experts in your field, you start are forced to do things the 'SCIENTIFIC' way. You become independent and way too outspoken. You leadership skills are being groomed for the better. There are More opportunities when it comes to attending conferences, training sessions which takes place on a regular basis.

How does Nigeria do it? Do they bring in the experts or do they send their citizens abroad?

Regardless of the field, I still believe in the long run, it is better to bring the experts and necessary equipment in, to give people local access to the skills they need. Experiments, even scientific ones can be conducted locally.

Well, in Nigeria's case, a lot of work needs to be done but if I had to vote,I would rather we start importing exports than embark on an expensive plan of sending people out to learn. Right now, I am not sure the government has any programs that actually affords people the chance to do such. But if we ever consider needing skills, I would rather we invest money in bringing experts from around the world to come train our people locally. Spend part of that money on equipping the institutes to create an environment that will encourage skill building.
Re: Serious Labour Shortage In South Africa by Angelheart: 3:00am On Oct 06, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Regardless of the field, I still believe in the long run, it is better to bring the experts and necessary equipment in, to give people local access to the skills they need. Experiments, even scientific ones can be conducted locally.

Well, in Nigeria's case, a lot of work needs to be done but if I had to vote,I would rather we start importing exports than embark on an expensive plan of sending people out to learn. Right now, I am not sure the government has any programs that actually affords people the chance to do such. But if we ever consider needing skills, I would rather we invest money in bringing experts from around the world to come train our people locally. Spend part of that money on equipping the institutes to create an environment that will encourage skill building.

Look at it this way: 'I will be the expert embarking on an expensive plan, ' I shall be an expert in my field and will withhold no information from my fellow scientists. What we have experienced in the past, is that these experts tend to hold back information so that they can be consulted on a regular basis. Thus turning this training exercise' into business. The government loses and at the end, we end up with 'INCOMPLETE' knowledge of the know hows.
Re: Serious Labour Shortage In South Africa by Kobojunkie: 4:20am On Oct 06, 2008
Angelheart:

Look at it this way: 'I will be the expert embarking on an expensive plan, ' I shall be an expert in my field and will withhold no information from my fellow scientists. What we have experienced in the past, is that these experts tend to hold back information so that they can be consulted on a regular basis. Thus turning this training exercise' into business. The government loses and at the end, we end up with 'INCOMPLETE' knowledge of the know hows.

I don't think experts do that all the time. As we speak, China has experts from around the world working to train it's work force in so many areas. Many of these experts are not holding back as they understand that there continued success in China greatly depends on their ability to successfully train their students to compete with others in the same field around the world.
Re: Serious Labour Shortage In South Africa by Angelheart: 11:54am On Oct 06, 2008
Kobojunkie:

I don't think experts do that all the time. As we speak, China has experts from around the world working to train it's work force in so many areas. Many of these experts are not holding back as they understand that there continued success in China greatly depends on their ability to successfully train their students to compete with others in the same field around the world.

Not all the time but they do MOST of the time, hence I said, we have experienced this withholding of info a lot.
Re: Serious Labour Shortage In South Africa by keba(m): 5:25pm On Oct 07, 2008
Why won't there be labour shortage after the xenophobic attacks After all their citizens, especially the blacks
have refused to go to school instead they are full of hate for other blacks that are working in their country.
Re: Serious Labour Shortage In South Africa by Kobojunkie: 12:17am On Oct 08, 2008
keba:

Why won't there be labour shortage after the xenophobic attacks After all their citizens, especially the blacks
have refused to go to school instead they are full of hate for other blacks that are working in their country.

You mean you have cured all Nigerians of their RACISM ( TRIBALISM) which they continue to direct at each other?? Come on!!! Don't you just feel guilty when you point accusing fingers at others for being just as hateful as your own people are??
Re: Serious Labour Shortage In South Africa by keba(m): 2:26am On Oct 08, 2008
And how do you know all Nigerians are tribalists?? IF you are one,
i'm not like you, bro.
Re: Serious Labour Shortage In South Africa by Kobojunkie: 2:36am On Oct 08, 2008
keba:

And how do you know all Nigerians are tribalists?? IF you are one,
i'm not like you, bro.

Oh!!! so denying that Tribalism reigns supreme in Nigeria is the way??
Re: Serious Labour Shortage In South Africa by keba(m): 2:45am On Oct 08, 2008
My dear, there is no where tribalism (RACISM) does'nt exist.
Re: Serious Labour Shortage In South Africa by Kobojunkie: 2:50am On Oct 08, 2008
keba:

My dear, there is no where tribalism (RACISM) does'nt exist.

You sure?? cause earlier you were pointing accusing fingers at South Africans for the exact same which you know exists everywhere.
Re: Serious Labour Shortage In South Africa by keba(m): 2:54am On Oct 08, 2008
Kobojunkie:

You sure?? cause earlier you were pointing accusing fingers at South Africans for the exact same which you know exists everywhere.
You tell me if there has ever been xenophobic attacks in Nigeria
Re: Serious Labour Shortage In South Africa by Kobojunkie: 3:00am On Oct 08, 2008
keba:

You tell me if there has ever been xenophobic attacks in Nigeria

So,  Xenophobic attacks are better than attacks as a result of tribalism? People who are killed due to the one are deader than people who are killed as a result of the other??

(1) (2) (Reply)

3 Days Ago Tweets From The Supreme Leader Of Iran Before The Attack On Israel. / Obama Is A Fraud: Never Attended Columbia University / See What Zuma's 24yr Old Wife Wore When Journalists Interviewed Her(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.