Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,123 members, 7,818,368 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:45 PM

The Legacy Of Mother Theresa; 20 Facts About This Great Woman. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Legacy Of Mother Theresa; 20 Facts About This Great Woman. (2578 Views)

I Went To My Elder Brother's House And His Wife Is A Great Woman / Photos Of Mother's Day Laughter & Joy / Mother Theresa Orphanage Home, Ketu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Legacy Of Mother Theresa; 20 Facts About This Great Woman. by Alexk2(m): 10:51pm On Jun 27, 2014
If you judge people, you have no time to love them.”

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
“Intense love does not measure, it just gives.”
These are the words of one of the greatest women in history.

Mother Teresa devoted her life to the ministry of showing God’s love. She trusted in Divine Providence for every cent to serve and for her own provision. There was one message, one thing she believed in the power of LOVE to change lives and heal.
She chose love over all things and had one of the greatest ministries in history. It didn’t matter who she was working with, what they believed, or how bad off they were.
She left us a tremendous legacy for us to strive to emulate.
here are 20 facts about Mother Teresa.
1. She was born Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu in 1910 in Albania, to a financially comfortable family – they lived in one of the two houses they owned. Her father died when she was 8 years old, which ended her family’s financial security.

2. Agnes was fascinated with missionaries from an early age, and she knew by age 12 that she would commit herself to a religious vocation.

3. When she was 18 years old, Agnes left home and joined the Sisters of Loreto in Rathfarnham, Ireland.

4. Although she lived to be 87 years old, she never saw her mother or sister again after the day she left for Ireland.

5. After a year learning English in Ireland, Agnes transferred to the Sisters of Loreto convent in Darjeeling, India.

6. She took her vows as a nun in 1931, and that’s when she chose the name Teresa – to honor Saints Therese of Lisieux and Teresa of Avila.

7. Therese of Lisieux is the patron saint of missionaries – which attracted Agnes to her – as well as the patron saint of florists, Australia, AIDS sufferers and others. Teresa of Avila is the patron saint of people in religious orders, lacemakers, Spain and more.

8. Teresa began teaching history and geography in Calcutta at St. Mary’s, a high school for the daughters of the wealthy. She remained there for 15 years and enjoyed the work, but was distressed by the poverty she saw all around her.

9. In 1946, Teresa traveled to Darjeeling for a retreat. It was on that journey that she realized what her true calling was: “I heard the call to give up all and follow Christ into the slums to serve him among the poorest of the poor.”

10. It took two years of preparation before she was able to begin doing the work she felt compelled to do. She needed to receive permission from the Sisters of Loreto to leave the order – while retaining her vows – as well as permission from the Archbishop of Calcutta to live and work among the poor. She also prepared by taking a nursing course.

11. In 1948, Teresa set aside her nun’s habit – adopting instead the simple sari and sandals worn by the women she would be living among – and moved to a small rented hovel in the slums to begin her work.

12. Teresa’s first year in the slums was particularly hard. She was used to a life of comparative comfort, and now she had no income and no way to obtain food and supplies other than begging. She was often tempted to return to convent life, and had to rely on her determination and faith to get herself through it.

13. One of her first projects was to teach the children of the poor – drawing on her experience with teaching the children of the rich. She didn’t have any equipment or supplies this time, but she taught them to read and write by writing in the dirt with sticks.

14. In addition to promoting literacy, Teresa taught the children basic hygiene. She visited their families, inquiring about their needs and helping provide for them when she could.

15. Word began to spread about Teresa’s good works, and soon she had other volunteers wanting to help. By 1950, she was able to start the Mission of Charity – a congregation dedicated to caring for “the hungry, the naked, the homeless, the crippled, the blind, the lepers, all those people who feel unwanted, unloved, uncared for throughout society, people that have become a burden to the society and are shunned by everyone.”
16. She went on to open a hospice for the poor, a home for sufferers of leprosy, and a home for orphans and homeless youths.

17. Mother Teresa was honored with many awards throughout her life, from the Indian Padma Shri in 1962 to the inaugural Pope John XXIII Peace Prize in 1971 to Albania’s Golden Honour of the Nation in 1994…and, most famously, the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979.

18. She refused the traditional Nobel honor banquet, instead requesting that the $192K funds be given to help the poor of India.

19. She continued her work with the poor for the rest of her life, leading the Missionaries of Charity until just months before her death on September 5, 1997.

20. The Catholic Church has begun to move Mother Teresa along the steps toward sainthood, and she was beatified in 2003. Her official title
the Missionaries of Charity until just months before her death on September 5, 1997.

20. The Catholic Church has begun to move Mother Teresa along the steps toward sainthood, and she was beatified in 2003. Her official title is now Blessed Teresa of Calcutta.

Source; http://www.legacy.com/news/legends-and-legacies/mother-teresa-and-the-nobel-peace-prize/278/

1 Like

Re: The Legacy Of Mother Theresa; 20 Facts About This Great Woman. by Olalan(m): 10:01am On Jun 28, 2014
She no doubt lived the true Christian life; she preached Love and practiced it unlike some who don't practice what they preach. How beautiful the world would be if we all can show so much concern about the less privileged around us.

2 Likes

Re: The Legacy Of Mother Theresa; 20 Facts About This Great Woman. by Alexk2(m): 1:47am On Jun 29, 2014
"if you judge people, you have no time to love them"...a great woman indeed!.
sacrificing her life for the love of humanity.
our world need people like this for healing.

1 Like

Re: The Legacy Of Mother Theresa; 20 Facts About This Great Woman. by Lordabas: 7:26am On Jun 29, 2014
Fact: Mother Teresa was a sociopathic, sadistic, fraud who somehow convinced a large number of people that she was compassionate and spiritual
Re: The Legacy Of Mother Theresa; 20 Facts About This Great Woman. by Alexk2(m): 1:09pm On Jun 29, 2014
Lordabas Fact: Mother Teresa was a sociopathic,
sadistic, fraud who somehow convinced a large number of people that she
was compassionate and spiritual

when you said FACT, i was expecting you to quote from history or @ least convince your audience....abi, you don't know what fact mean again?..
tell us something else, bro.

1 Like

Re: The Legacy Of Mother Theresa; 20 Facts About This Great Woman. by Lordabas: 2:04pm On Jun 29, 2014
Alexk2:

when you said FACT, i was expecting you to quote from history or @ least convince your audience....abi, you don't know what fact mean again?..
tell us something else, bro.
read "Exposing Mother Teresa" by John M. Swomley

More: she imposed her fetish of suffering on the poor of Calcutta. Her "hospitals" were warehouses of people dying agonizing deaths and she denied them even palative care. She spent most of her time courting the media and raising funds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzFEesUUX...
http://mostlywater.org/mother_teresa_fai...
Re: The Legacy Of Mother Theresa; 20 Facts About This Great Woman. by Alexk2(m): 3:09pm On Jun 29, 2014

Lordabas
read "Exposing Mother Teresa" by John M. Swomley

More: she imposed her fetish of suffering on the poor of Calcutta. Her
"hospitals" were warehouses of people dying agonizing deaths and she
denied them even palative care. She spent most of her time courting the
media and raising funds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzFEesUUX...
http://mostlywater.org/mother_teresa_fai...

thanks for telling us from who and where you got that from...i wont like to argue with you but to draw out why John M. Swomley choose to attack mather Teresa in that his book...
1. because she preached unrelently against abortion and contraceptives-a stand for her religious believe.
2. because she believe children are God's gift and He(God) will provide for them no matter what...-an argument against abortion.
3. because he didnt believe Mother Teresa deserve the noble peace price.

she was definetely not perfect but i don't think the disagreement of a fellow with her believes is enough for you to just condemn her outrightly....i'm not a fan of roman catholic as a church niether i'm i patronizing her but i love/amire pple who have touched humanity in there generation and those doing so even in this modern world.

Mother Teresa is worth celebrating!

2 Likes

Re: The Legacy Of Mother Theresa; 20 Facts About This Great Woman. by Lordabas: 5:50pm On Jun 29, 2014
Alexk2:

thanks for telling us from who and where you got that from...i wont like to argue with you but to draw out why John M. Swomley choose to attack mather Teresa in that his book...
1. because she preached unrelently against abortion and contraceptives-a stand for her religious believe.
2. because she believe children are God's gift and He(God) will provide for them no matter what...-an argument against abortion.
3. because he didnt believe Mother Teresa deserve the noble peace price.

she was definetely not perfect but i don't think the disagreement of a fellow with her believes is enough for you to just condemn her outrightly....i'm not a fan of roman catholic as a church niether i'm i patronizing her but i love/amire pple who have touched humanity in there generation and those doing so even in this modern world.

Mother Teresa is worth celebrating!
Okay, mother Theresa was a manufactured saint. The Catholic Church made her up. She was a terrible woman who actually believed that suffering was the way to salvation. She took in the critically ill and dying and allowed them to suffer without medication of proper care. She accepted donations to help these people and spent all the money on expanding her own centers instead of on medications or doctors services for the dying. Factual reports also indicate that she was a very nasty woman who criticized anyone with empathy for the dying.
A very good program for a quick review about Mother Theresa is "Penn and Teller's Bullshit."
below are the links. This will help you along as well as be entertaining. I would not use it as your only source of information but it will point you in the proper direction and give you some other references.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8Z7AI1J9...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS_9QyIzZ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgK-uaLHJ...
Re: The Legacy Of Mother Theresa; 20 Facts About This Great Woman. by Alexk2(m): 7:12pm On Jun 29, 2014

Lordabas
Okay, mother Theresa was a manufactured saint. The
Catholic Church made her up. She was a terrible woman who actually
believed that suffering was the way to salvation. She took in the
critically ill and dying and allowed them to suffer without medication
of proper care. She accepted donations to help these people and spent
all the money on expanding her own centers instead of on medications or
doctors services for the dying. Factual reports also indicate that she
was a very nasty woman who criticized anyone with empathy for the dying.

A very good program for a quick review about Mother Theresa is "Penn and
Teller's Bullshit."
below are the links. This will help you along as well as be
entertaining. I would not use it as your only source of information but
it will point you in the proper direction and give you some other
references.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8Z7AI1J9...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS_9QyIzZ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgK-uaLHJ...

i'll derive nothing from all those link, bro...nt for me.
may i ask you what you'll acheive from castigating the dead?...she made her mark long ago before leaving and you are here doing what?
i suspect you are an atheist sha...that explain your passion on this.....nt surprise @ all..

2 Likes

Re: The Legacy Of Mother Theresa; 20 Facts About This Great Woman. by Lordabas: 9:35pm On Jun 29, 2014
Alexk2:

i'll derive nothing from all those link, bro...nt for me.
may i ask you what you'll acheive from castigating the dead?...she made her mark long ago before leaving and you are here doing what?
i suspect you are an atheist sha...that explain your passion on this.....nt surprise @ all..
u needed me to try and convince u. I've told u d historical books to read and d links for clarification but unfortunately you're one of d large number of people that blive she
was warm, compassionate and spiritual.
Re: The Legacy Of Mother Theresa; 20 Facts About This Great Woman. by Alexk2(m): 1:33am On Jun 30, 2014

Lordabas
u needed me to try and convince u. I've told u d historical books to read and d links for clarification but unfortunately you're one of d large number of people that blive she
was warm, compassionate and spiritual.

you can't convince me on this, bro coz i have nothing to gain from believing negative critics of her time. pple who wrote those books and created those links are simply pple who believe others most be perfect even while they are not and because of that, they look for the flaws in great men and women to write about and make gains through it. my brother, there are countless books and links written/produced about her good legacy for others to emulate.
you'll still here pple coming up with reasons why late prof. Dora Akunyili shouldn't be celebrated; some nairalanders are already into that. we'll here why Owelle Rochas Okorocha should not be regarded as a great philanthropist because he is now a governor; even his kinsmen will tell you that.
my brother, don't take critical pple seriously because they'll never see the good in others, they'll try all they can to stop you from doing good and sadly, they are selfish individual who can hardly sacrifice anything for those under them.

make others contribute, pls. don't just look; letz here your say.

2 Likes

Re: The Legacy Of Mother Theresa; 20 Facts About This Great Woman. by 5minsmadness: 12:27pm On Jun 30, 2014
Alexk2:

you can't convince me on this, bro coz i have nothing to gain from believing negative critics of her time. pple who wrote those books and created those links are simply pple who believe others most be perfect even while they are not and because of that, they look for the flaws in great men and women to write about and make gains through it. my brother, there are countless books and links written/produced about her good legacy for others to emulate.
you'll still here pple coming up with reasons why late prof. Dora Akunyili shouldn't be celebrated; some nairalanders are already into that. we'll here why Owelle Rochas Okorocha should not be regarded as a great philanthropist because he is now a governor; even his kinsmen will tell you that.
my brother, don't take critical pple seriously because they'll never see the good in others, they'll try all they can to stop you from doing good and sadly, they are selfish individual who can hardly sacrifice anything for those under them.

make others contribute, pls. don't just look; letz here your say.

Standing ovation! Bless you sir!

1 Like

Re: The Legacy Of Mother Theresa; 20 Facts About This Great Woman. by 5minsmadness: 12:32pm On Jun 30, 2014
Ask what that critic did with his life now and you'll find nothing wortht of note. Some people just thrive off rubbishing other peoplle's good works! Where wwre they when mother Theresa was struggling with the poor? Why didn't they drop their pens and come and help the hungry and needy instead of letting her to do it then quickly standing up to shout rubbish when she was given the Nobel peace prize at an old age?
People wil always seek to destroy the good in others. Its the way they get their kicks. They are the cowards that hide behind their desks sticking their neck out to spy onthe good others are doing and look for the flaws in it while never getting up to contribute anything good themselves. Yellow-bellied jealous cowards!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Picture This: Sheep Among Wolves, What Do You Do / No More Cheating Iron Pants With Padlock Is Out (pic) / I Died And Living Far From Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.