Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,224 members, 7,822,137 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:13 AM

Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) - Sports (43) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) (480438 Views)

Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / FIFA U-20 World Cup New Zealand 2015 Full Time Table And Fixtures / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (232) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 1:21pm On Apr 21, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Iheanacho Might Miss U20 World Cup[/size]

After failing to properly shake off a knee injury there are doubts that Manchester City's teen star, Kelechi Iheanacho, might miss the Under-20 World cup in New Zealand.

With less than 40 days to the start of the showpiece the 18-year-old is yet to begin full competitive training after close to two months out injured.

Even though he might eventually make it to camp there are fears he might not be fit enough to clinch a spot in the 21-player list because competition for spots will be fierce.

"We are optimistic he will be in camp but they are lingering doubts about his fitness and match sharpness, he has had a stop start season since impressing at Man City Pre season tour," a team source told SL10.

"Aside from not been a regular during our qualifiers he failed to make it to the AYC that is to say for the last two years he has being out of the team.

"He has to force his way back, we know of his qualities when fit but now we have a team that everyone is not guaranteed a shirt due to competition".

Iheanacho only started light training this week after picking up an injury in February during Manchester City UEFA youth champions league tie when he went off injured after coming on as substitute against Schalke 04.

The injury was his third of the season and aside from training with the main team of the English Champions, He has only played three competitive games all year due to the injury and work permit issues.[/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by confun: 1:59pm On Apr 21, 2015
This news about nacho is nt cool at all, I just really wish he could be fit for d u 20 world cup,
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 2:18pm On Apr 21, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Flying Eagles Choose Germany Due To Weather Conditions[/size]

The Nigerian U20 men's football team, the Flying Eagles will have a final training camp in Germany ahead of the FIFA U20 World Cup which starts on May 30 in New Zealand.

The Manu Garba tutored lads have been training in Abuja since last week, with majority of the 35 players on the provisional list based in Nigeria.

The players and officials were at the German embassy last Friday, where they attended interviews for their visa applications, and are expected to jet out almost as soon as their visa requests are granted.

Nigeria are in group E alongside Brazil, Hungary and North Korea and must prepare adequately if they must win the tournament for the first in the country's history.

The likes of Kelechi Iheanacho, and Isaac Success are expected to join up with them in the next couple of weeks, with Success most likely to join them at their training base in Germany.

It remains unclear what city they'll be based in Germany, but SL10.ng understands Germany was specifically chosen by coach Manu Garba as he believes the weather in the European country matches that of New Zealand at this time.

Of the 35 players listed in the provisional squad, only 21 of them will make the final squad of three goalkeepers and 18 outfield players.[/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by tbaba1234: 3:36pm On Apr 21, 2015
^ Sl10.ng need better editors, Yahaya has been in camp for a while now, Iheanacho is not injured now, just not match fit.

2 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:35pm On Apr 21, 2015
tbaba1234:
^ Sl10.ng need better editors, Yahaya has been in camp for a while now, Iheanacho is not injured now, just not match fit.

I wonder why Manchester City are delaying Nacho. Manchester City should release him to continue his light training and fitness program with the U20 coaches.

He is a key player for us and the earlier he is in the camp, the better.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by tbaba1234: 10:45pm On Apr 21, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

I wonder why Manchester City are delaying Nacho. Manchester City should release him to continue his light training and fitness program with the U20 coaches.

He is an asset to city so i am sure they want to nuture him to fitness. Rushing him to play the other time caused a relapse. They will want him to fully recover first before sending him to Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 1:06pm On Apr 22, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Man City's Iheanacho Resumes Full Training[/size]

Kelechi Iheanacho's intermediary has moved quickly to dispel fears that the Manchester City talent will not star for Nigeria at the Fifa Under 20 World Cup on account of injury.

The good news for all Nigerians, and the Flying Eagles coaches, in particular, is that the Golden Ball winner at the 2013 Fifa Under 17s has resumed full training with Manchester City's Elite Development Squad.

Indeed, Kelechi Iheanacho would have featured against Chelsea's Under 18 side in the final of the FA Youth Cup on Monday.

But manager Jason Wilcox had to withdraw him from the squad at the last minute so he doesn't suffer a relapse just as was the case against Schalke 04, when he had to be subbed off eleven minutes after his introduction.

''Kelechi Iheanacho has started full training with Manchester City's Academy Team,'' a representative of the Taye Academy product told SL10.ng.

''He was supposed to play yesterday's game against Chelsea Under 18s but was dropped at the last minute because the medical expert wanted to prevent him from suffering a relapse.

''All things being equal, he'll be in action when the second leg of the FA Youth Cup final is played on the 27th of April.''

The word from Manchester City is that if Iheanacho comes through the Chelsea game unscathed, he would be allowed to attend the Flying Eagles training camp in Germany.[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 5:51pm On Apr 22, 2015
[b][size=14pt]NFF To Make Ruling Over Awoniyi Transfer Imbroglio[/size]

The Nigeria Football Federation has queried all the parties involved in the transfer imbroglio threatening to derail the career of Flying Eagles striker Taiwo Awoniyi, SL10.ng understands.

Back in 2014, the 17-year-old penned a preliminary contract with Kalmar but United Academy supremo Razaq Olojo recently petitioned the local football regulator to render the agreement null and void.

Coach Olojo has based his argument on the assumption that the Swedish Allsvenskan side had reached an agreement in principle with Imperial Soccer Academy whereas the player's registration rights were never transferred to the club.

In his own defence, former Hull City midfielder Seyi Olofinjana has said that Taiwo Awoniyi's father (without the knowledge of the striker's mom) signed a two-year contract with Imperial Soccer Academy, Odogbolu in 2012.

Therefore, in the eyes of Seyi Olofinjana, the club-to-club agreement his academy signed with Kalmar in 2014 is valid.

The Nigeria Football Federation Legal Department has written to the two academies and Taiwo Awoniyi's agent to attach all relevant documents on the said matter in order to enable the NFF determine the status of the player.

It is understood that United Academy's supremo has a joker to play if the NFF rules in favour of ex-Nigeria international Seyi Olofinjana, which can't be published by SL10.ng because of the need to protect our national interest – the player himself.[/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 5:52pm On Apr 22, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Keshi Tells SL10 He Will Give U20 Players A Chance[/size]

Newly reappointed Super Eagles coach, Stephen Keshi, says he will call up any of the current Flying Eagles players that can prove he is capable of playing with the big boys.

The 53-year old made reference to himself, having earned his first senior cap as a teenager, and says if the players can show personal excellence, he'll have no problems bringing them in.

"Of course there are talents there and this is also about their personal excellence," he told SL10.ng.

"If they're doing well in the Flying Eagles, why not? We'll bring them in. I did it when I was 17, when I was still a junior.

"So also did Henry Nwosu, we all did it, came through at very young ages, so if any of them can do it, I will play them. There's no problem."

His insisted, however, that there is a condition attached to it, and he warns that playing for the Flying Eagles is entirely different from playing for the Super Eagles and says the players must be ready for it.

"They must understand that playing for the Flying Eagles is not the same as playing for the Super Eagles.

"The Super Eagles is the highest level of the game and if they can cope with it, good, because I did it too.

"So if any of them out there can do it, no problem. But such players must have the quality and commitment," he added.

There has been calls from several quarters that some of the present Flying Eagles squad should be integrated into the main Super Eagles team, even though some others argue against their readiness.

But Keshi, who signed a new two year deal worth N120m on Tuesday, has promised to give youth a chance in his second spell as the Super Eagles chief coach.

He is expected to resume work immediately and submit the names of possible invitees for the start of the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers.

As per his new contract, he will be sacked if he fails to reach the Cup of Nations again, as his minimum target is a semifinal finish in Gabon.[/b]

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by EagleScribes: 6:51pm On Apr 22, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

It is likely he features against chelsea U-18 in the second leg of the youth cup finals
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:08pm On Apr 22, 2015
EagleScribes:

It is likely he features against chelsea U-18 in the second leg of the youth cup finals

That is my problem. Why keep him in the Underage side of Man City when the WYC Under-20 camp of his team has resumed.

Nacho is a key part of the Flying Eagles. It is better he is in camp instead of playing City youth games.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by EagleScribes: 7:13pm On Apr 22, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

That is my problem. Why keep him in the Underage side of Man City when the WYC Under-20 camp of his team has resumed.

Nacho is a key part of the Flying Eagles. It is better he is in camp instead of playing City youth games.

He brought it all upon himself. Wasn't he warned? Recall he walked out of the CHAN Eagle's camp for Man. City. And with the club being fond of changing managers and do not consider youths, it will be very difficult for him to develop to full potentials there.

Whatever happens to him is basically his own fault
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:33pm On Apr 22, 2015
EagleScribes:

He brought it all upon himself. Wasn't he warned? Recall he walked out of the CHAN Eagle's camp for Man. City. And with the club being fond of changing managers and do not consider youths, it will be very difficult for him to develop to full potentials there.

Whatever happens to him is basically his own fault

Remember Nacho was a minor when the deal took place. He fought to go to FC Porto because he wanted to play along side his friend Chidera Ezeh. Remember when Nacho's father declared him missing?

He did not want the Man City deal but he was a minor and he had little say.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by EagleScribes: 7:41pm On Apr 22, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

Remember Nacho was a minor when the deal took place. He fought to go to FC Porto because he wanted to play along side his friend Chidera Ezeh. Remember when Nacho's father declared him missing?

He did not want the Man City deal but he was a minor and he had little say.

Whatever the case may be, no one else should be blamed apart from his family members, and maybe greedy agents
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:50pm On Apr 22, 2015
EagleScribes:

Whatever the case may be, no one else should be blamed apart from his family members, and maybe greedy agents

I hope it works out for Nacho because that guy has mad potential.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by EagleScribes: 8:23pm On Apr 22, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

I hope it works out for Nacho because that guy has mad potential.

That will be very very difficult as he's place is not sure in the flying Eagles squad. Imagine if he had shone like Taiwo Awoniyi with the U-23s, he'd have had a chance at all African games, Olympics and Super Eagles.

Believe me, his potential is under threat
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:58pm On Apr 22, 2015
EagleScribes:

That will be very very difficult as he's place is not sure in the flying Eagles squad. Imagine if he had shone like Taiwo Awoniyi with the U-23s, he'd have had a chance at all African games, Olympics and Super Eagles.

Believe me, his potential is under threat

Manchester City have big plans for Nacho. Note, most of the Flying Eagles players are looking for exposure to get to kind of place Nacho is.

From that view, he is on track. I hope Man City treats the National side of Nacho's career seriously. Just as Man City overlooked the importance of the CHAN tournament.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 8:40am On Apr 23, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Sokari to rejoin Flying Eagles[/size]

Flying Eagles coach Manu Garba has disclosed Enyimba midfielder Kingsley Sokari is expected to join the team’s training camp in Abuja immediately after his team’s league match at FC Taraba on Wednesday.

‘Bobby’ Sokari, who has been capped at full international and U23 levels, is the only player yet to join the squad in Abuja.

Injury-hit Musa Yahaya and Chidera Ezeh have trained fully with the main squad, while the team’s physiotherapist has supervised their full rehabilitation.

In the meantime, the African champions will battle Abuja Football College Friday morning in a test match as they step up preparations for next month’s FIFA U20 World Cup in New Zealand.

The match will kick off at 7am inside the mainbowl of the Abuja National Stadium.

The squad will begin their full medical examination on Thursday morning, officials further disclosed.

The Flying Eagles will begin their World Cup campaign on June 1 against Brazil.[/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by EagleScribes: 1:33pm On Apr 23, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

Manchester City have big plans for Nacho. Note, most of the Flying Eagles players are looking for exposure to get to kind of place Nacho is.

From that view, he is on track. I hope Man City treats the National side of Nacho's career seriously. Just as Man City overlooked the importance of the CHAN tournament.

See City is not a traditional club like Liverpool or Man United and they don't give their youth players so much chance. Pellegrini rated Nacho highly but what happens if Pellegrini leaves and another coach comes in? That will be a different philosophy, different method and approach. The only saving grace is if the new coach will give him a chance. Don't forget Kelechi has an issue with work permit. Playing for his country at CHAN would have helped too

2 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:04pm On Apr 23, 2015
EagleScribes:

See City is not a traditional club like Liverpool or Man United and they don't give their youth players so much chance. Pellegrini rated Nacho highly but what happens if Pellegrini leaves and another coach comes in? That will be a different philosophy, different method and approach. The only saving grace is if the new coach will give him a chance. Don't forget Kelechi has an issue with work permit. Playing for his country at CHAN would have helped too

Manchester City now have a youth policy. That is why most signings have been mature like Lampard, Sagna, Demeichelis, Caballero. This is to give the youths time to develop.

Man City built the new Etihad campus which is worth a hundred million pounds because they want to start nurturing stars than buying stars.

One of the heads of Barca's youth project, Txiki is now at City. One of the head youth coaches of Barca is in City too. The club is changing direction and Nacho is a huge part of that project. Nacho excelling will be a proof that the City's youth policy is working.

Even if the coach is changed, the policy and holistic approach of the same playing style at all levels will continue.

Very soon, we will see youngsters breaking into the City side. They just need time to develop.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by arsetalks(m): 6:45pm On Apr 23, 2015
daveP:
Wait, how old is Awo-striking Taiwo? 17? Or was that a mistake?

Even if Manu Garba wins@ New Zealand, i wont like the idea of a call up to SE. See what they did to Sia1.

Lets not forget that the Positivism most coaches express in the world of football is directly proportional to the player's attitude, provided his tactics is well executed.

Bad attitude by SE players ruined sia1. I dont want a repeat with GM. Let them call Westerhof if they are desperate. There's a good reason why.
I totally agree with you. I think he should be with the under 23 team after the under 20.

No need to rush. He is a good coach but I think we should be gradual with him. Move him to the olymic Eagles after the next olympic.

He and Siasia can do a job and John Obuh should replace almost certain to fumble Amunike.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by arsetalks(m): 6:47pm On Apr 23, 2015
safarigirl:
no 'hmm' necessary. He was 16 at the 2013 World Cup and was quite lanky then, no more than 5ft 10". He should be around 6ft 2" by now and he's bulkier. Me thinks the age tallies with the growth.

The only thing I'm looking forward to in the Brazilian tean is Mosquito grin, I was kinda sad Sweden was unable to qualify for the U-20's cuz I was looking forward to seeing Uncle Berisha.

Anyway I'm doing fine, you?
not a sexist but your knowledge of football amazes me each time I read a post from you. Sure you are a lady/woman?
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by safarigirl(f): 7:25pm On Apr 23, 2015
arsetalks:
not a sexist but your knowledge of football amazes me each time I read a post from you. Sure you are a lady/woman?
thank you lots.....yes, i'm female
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by EagleScribes: 10:28pm On Apr 23, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

Manchester City now have a youth policy. That is why most signings have been mature like Lampard, Sagna, Demeichelis, Caballero. This is to give the youths time to develop.

Man City built the new Etihad campus which is worth a hundred million pounds because they want to start nurturing stars than buying stars.

One of the heads of Barca's youth project, Txiki is now at City. One of the head youth coaches of Barca is in City too. The club is changing direction and Nacho is a huge part of that project. Nacho excelling will be a proof that the City's youth policy is working.

Even if the coach is changed, the policy and holistic approach of the same playing style at all levels will continue.

Very soon, we will see youngsters breaking into the City side. They just need time to develop.

Man City and Chelsea are similar but you know what? The club is all about instant success. As a coach, if you don't succeed, you are fired and no one will want to risk that except for Wenger.

This will make it difficult for youngsters to be given a chance. Ask from Chelsea youth players
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:44pm On Apr 23, 2015
EagleScribes:

Man City and Chelsea are similar but you know what? The club is all about instant success. As a coach, if you don't succeed, you are fired and no one will want to risk that except for Wenger.

This will make it difficult for youngsters to be given a chance. Ask from Chelsea youth players

Unlike Chelsea, Manchester City have put a plan on ground to develop their youth players. It is a club's policy.

Note, Mancini was sacked before the project kicked off. So, you can not put Man City in the same context as Chelsea, tagging us a club pursuing instant success.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 11:46am On Apr 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Manu Admires Flying Eagles Commitment[/size]

Flying Eagles coach Manu Garba says he likes the level of commitment his players are showing in training as they continue preparation for the FIFA U20 World Cup.

The Nigerian U20’s have been training in Abuja for the past two weeks, ahead of the tournament in New Zealand, and Manu believes that the players understand the challenges ahead and are showing enough gumption.

“I like what I’m seeing,” he said. “They obviously understand the challenges ahead and they are showing enough zeal and commitment because they know playing at the World Cup would be the biggest competition in their lives.

“So in a way I’m not surprised because we have made it known that only the most deserving players will make it to the World Cup, not based on what you did for the team before and so everybody must buckle up,” he says.

Manu has already submitted his provisional list of 35 players to FIFA, but is yet to get a full complement of the squad, with some of the overseas based players yet to join.

But he says that’s no problem and is working with what he has on the ground and knows the others will join soon.

“There’s no problem with that because I know they will join. It is a FIFA competition so they will come once they’re done with their clubs,” he added.

Nigeria will play Hungary, North Korea and Brazil in group E.[/b]

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 11:51am On Apr 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Exclusive: NFF Reach Agreement With Gent Over Release Of Moses Simon[/size]

The Nigeria Football Federation has reached an agreement with Belgian Pro League side Gent as regards to the availability of Moses Simon for the Fifa Under 20 World Cup.

Speculations are rife in the local and foreign media that the Golden Boot Soccer Academy product will miss the competition in New Zealand due to commitments with Gent, who are seeking their first league title in 151 years of existence.

But those rumours are unfounded as The Buffalos higher-ups have authorized his trip to Germany to link up with the Nigeria Under 20s at their training camp.

"Gent and the Nigeria Football Federation have come to an agreement, and Simon will be in New Zealand one hundred percent," a top source close to Simon told SL10.ng.

"Of course he wants to play at the Under 20 World Cup. My understanding is that he'll be at the World Cup."

The 19-year-old Simon was named in Nigeria's squad for the 2013 Fifa Under 20s but did not appear in a single game during the tournament in Turkey.

He is the second-leading scorer for Gent in the league with 7 goals in 11 matches.[/b]

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 11:55am On Apr 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Flying Eagles launch Nike kits at World Cup[/size]

The Nigeria U20 team, the Flying Eagles, will be the first team to wear the new Nike kits after the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) signed a deal with the company in London on Thursday.

Flying Eagles will play at the FIFA U20 World Cup in New Zealand starting from May 31

.Meanwhile, the NFF president Amaju Pinnick has expressed confidence that the kit sponsorship agreement the federation signed with world’s leading brand, Nike in London on Thursday will open more doors for Nigeria football in the area of sponsorship.

“I am thoroughly convinced that this agreement is the beginning of good and great things to happen to Nigeria football with regards to sponsorship deals,” he said.

“The NFF is happy to come into partnership with a leading global brand like Nike. We are in good company.”

Pinnick believes there will be even more glorious moments for Nigerian football in the coming years than during Nike’s first partnership with the NFF between 1994 and 2003.

“During those years, Nigeria won a first-ever Olympics football gold (1996) and reached the round of 16 at the FIFA World Cup (1998). But I have no doubts whatsoever that this second coming of Nike into Nigeria football will bring even more joyous moments with plenty of laurels for the national teams.

“Nigerian football has excellent potential all around and a top global brand like Nike will help to spur the processes that the present NFF administration has put in place to drive our game to the next level.”

The agreement to run till at least 2018 was signed at The Soho Hotel, Richmond Mews, London, on Thursday afternoon.

The NFF team at the signing comprised Pinnick, Emeka Inyama (chairman of NFF Marketing Committee), Ibrahim Gusau (member of the NFF executive committee), Mohammed Sanusi (NFF general secretary), Stephen Keshi (Super Eagles coach), Ademola Olajire (assistant director, communications) and Okey Obi (chief legal officer).

Nike was represented by Tina Salminen, the company’s Africa football sports marketing director.[/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by confun: 11:58am On Apr 24, 2015
Well done joe
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by confun: 11:59am On Apr 24, 2015
Really looking forward to ds u 20 world cup, counting down days
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 12:30pm On Apr 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]New Zealand 2015 passes 100,000 in ticket sales[/size]

With just over a month to go until kick off in the world’s second biggest men’s football event, the organisers of the FIFA U-20 World Cup have ticked off another major milestone.

100,000 tickets have now been snapped up for the event that runs from 30 May to 20 June in seven cities the length and breadth of New Zealand.

“Our goal at this point in preparations was 100,000 tickets sold and to achieve that just confirms that we are on target to host a hugely successful event,” said Local Organising Committee Chief Executive Dave Beeche.

Twenty-four countries from the six FIFA confederations have been confirmed for the 20th edition of a tournament that began in 1977 in Tunisia. Argentina (six titles) and Brazil (five) are the two most successful nations at this level and both have qualified for the event, with Argentina playing their group matches in Wellington and Brazil based in New Plymouth.

Mr Beeche added: “This is a truly world-class event and one which won’t be repeated in New Zealand in most of our lifetimes. These are the players who will be lighting up TV screens around the world in a couple of years and Kiwis really shouldn’t miss the chance to see them.

“Football fans understand that the next global football superstars will be discovered here in New Zealand and have been buying up the best seats in the house since we went on sale last year, I would urge all other Kiwi sports fans to get in soon if they also want to get decent seats to watch this global spectacle.”

Already all corporate hospitality boxes have been sold out for the final at North Harbour Stadium on 20 June and with history showing that the final of the FIFA U-17 World Cup New Zealand 1999 was sold out, organisers expect that U-20 Final tickets will be a hot item as well.

Fans wanting to get large groups together (up to 20) are being encouraged to purchase now through the 'Invite a Friend' promotion. Until 1 May anyone using ‘Invite a Friend’ in their ticket purchase, goes in the daily draw to win Official FIFA U-20 Merchandise.

Tickets can be purchased at www.FIFA.com/nz2015
[/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 2:00pm On Apr 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Gent Coach: Simon Moses Will Miss U20 World Cup Perparation[/size]

Coach of Belgium league title-hopefuls K.A.A. Gent, Hein Vanhaezebrouck, has insisted that mercurial forward, Moses Simon, will stay for the playoffs and warned that he risks burn-out if he features at the Under-20 World Cup.

Simon who has openly revealed his desire to be at the youth World Cup was told by the manager in clear terms that he will only be released after the Belgium title playoffs.

"I have discussed it with him, and he can go but only after the playoffs,"said Hein Vanhaezebrouck Thursday at his weekly press conference.

"But have already warned him he risk burning out as he will have less rest and this might drastically reduce his ability in comparison to other players next season."

It appears the 19 year old will shuttle between the Flying Eagles camp in Germany as well as play for Gent in the playoffs going by the manager's statement.

"He will leave for the National team but we will call him back to play for us anytime we need him before the end of the playoffs"

However his participation is still shrouded in controversy as Gent will only release him within the week of 25-31 May pending on their position in the playoffs.

Going by the fact that all participating countries are expected to submit their final squad list on the 18th of May, it is left for Coach Manu Garba to decide if he will name a player that is away from the team.[/b]

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (232) (Reply)

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.