Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,462 members, 7,819,688 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:59 PM

Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) - Sports (41) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) (480162 Views)

Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / FIFA U-20 World Cup New Zealand 2015 Full Time Table And Fixtures / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (232) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 3:58pm On Apr 14, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Awoniyi: I’m Not Getting Carried Away With The Accolades[/size]

Rave-of-the-moment, Taiwo Awoniyi, has said he hasn’t allowed his recent exploits get to his head and insists he’s working extremely hard to keep improving himself.

The 17-year old striker netted twice for the Nigerian U23’s to book Nigeria’s place at the All Africa Games and has seen his stock rise over the last couple of months.

But he says he’s staying humble and focused and won’t let any of the praises get to his head.

“I just want to keep playing football and keep scoring, that is what I want to do,” he said. “I am a striker and as a striker I have to keep scoring goals.

“It is my job to score goals and that is what I want to do every time I play and thank God I did that on Sunday.

“I know a lot of people talk about me now and they say good things about me but I’m just focused on my game because I’m still learning.

“I’m working hard to improve myself and I don’t allow any of those things get to my head. I just want to keep doing my best,” he said.

The striker has now been touted for a possible call-up to the Super Eagles and he says he’ll always be available to any of the national teams that require his services, but insists he’s not getting carried away by the prospect.

“I’m just focused on my game and if any of them (national teams) call me I’ll be available. But I just have to keep improving.”
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 10:00am On Apr 15, 2015
[b][size=14pt]The Time Is Near By Ademetan Abayomi[/size]

With the Nigeria Football Federation yet to name a coach for the Super Eagles, I will urge them to hand the job to whoever they want on a short-term basis.

I am one of the many Nigerian football enthusiasts who toasted to the success of Coach Stephen Keshi and also asked questions when the Super Eagles failed to qualify for the 2015 African Cup of Nations.

As to whether he was successful or not, I leave that to my cherished readers to judge.

The NFF are dragging their feet on handing a new contract to Stephen Keshi and with the Nations Cup Qualifiers around the corner it calls for concern.

The nation must move on; the Super Eagles must move on. The team has to be assembled in time to start the qualification to the next African Cup of Nations to be staged in Gabon.

Time is of great essence. We have no luxury of toiling with decisions surrounding the Super Eagles now.

My advice to the NFF is to still leave Daniel Amokachi as the interim coach for now until after the FIFA U20 World Cup in Chile.

I believe Manu Garba, the Gold Winning Coach of the Flying Eagles at the 2015 Orange African Youth Championship, is the best man for the Super Eagles now.

Across the length and breadth of the nation, there is no better groomed Nigerian coach to lead the Super Eagles now.

Coach Manu has gone through the mill, coached teams, understudied a lot of coaches, and he is surely ready to serve the nation as the next Super Eagles Coach.

Garba is credited with the nurturing of players like Taiwo Awoniyi, Isaac Success, Chigozie Obasi, Musa Muhammed, Samuel Okon, Ifeanyi Ifeanyi, Obinna Nwobodo, Mustapha Abdullahi, Aliyu Abubakar, Bello Zaharadeen, Kelechi Iheanacho, Chidiebere Nwakali, Izuchukwu Omego, Bernard Bulbwa, Dele Alampasu and a host of others.

In 2007, Manu assisted late Yemi Tella to a title winning run at the FIFA U17 World Cup.

Six years later he was given full responsibility of the team. This time he won the 2013 FIFA U17 World Cup title as his team danced passed all opponents in the UAE.

He was then promoted as the head coach of the National Under 20 Team. The coach wrote his name in Gold! He led the team to win gold at the 2015 LMC Super Six tournament and gold at the 2015 AYC.

If the Flying Eagles go on to win the U20 World Cup in New Zealand, calls for him to be the next Super Eagles gaffer will increase.

The time to give him the chance to prove what he can do as the coach of the Super Eagles is near. It is indeed Manu Garba's time!
[/b]

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 10:10am On Apr 15, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Awoniyi unfazed by overseas transfer talks[/size]

Nigeria U20 striker Taiwo Awoniyi has said he is not bothered by the various speculations as regards his move overseas.

Awoniyi has been linked with several top in Europe as well as Africa - from FC Porto to Esperance of Tunisia - after his recent exploits with both the Nigeria U20 and U23 teams.

The Imperial Academy star said he counts on his agent to finalise his move abroad, while he continues to deliver the goods on the pitch.

"My manager is the one in charge of getting me a club, he know my worth and the deal that is best for me, I am not bothering myself on that, I am just concentrating on playing football,” the 17-year-old striker said.

“I am just starting and I am aiming to go higher in my career."

The U17 world champion enhanced his profile on Sunday with a match-winning brace against hosts Zambia to qualify Nigeria to the 2015 All Africa Games in Congo-Brazzaville.

"I give God the glory for my goals against Zambia. As a striker I always want to score to help my team win games and when I do, I am always happy," Awoniyi said. [/b]

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 10:13am On Apr 15, 2015
[size=14pt]Kanu says Awoniyi will be a star[/size]

Former Nigeria skipper Nwankwo Kanu has tipped Taiwo Awoniyi for greatness following his exploits with the U20 and U23 national teams.

Kanu is called described the gangling striker as the “hottest kid” in Nigerian football who is destined for greatness.

"Watched him (Awoniyi) play for U17/U20 and talked to him, our hottest kid and if he keeps doing his best he will be a star," tweeted Kanu, who has featured at three World Cups.

The 17-year-old Awoniyi is now being compared to one of Kanu’s Eagles teammate Rashidi Yekini.

He also congratulated the national U20 and U23 teams for their achievement so far.

"Congratulations U20 and U23. Congrats to our boys and the coaching crew led by Manu and Siasia and all you that supported them," he saluted.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 2:56pm On Apr 15, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Bulbwa: I’m Not Going To Esperance Yet… I Have To Go See My Mom[/size]

Flying Eagles forward has said he will not be returning to Esperance just yet but will rather go see his mother, after returning from Lusaka, Zambia, where he helped Nigeria’s U23 team qualify for the All Africa Games.

The 18-year-old was in Senegal and scored the wonder goal that helped Nigeria win the Africa Youth Championship, and was almost immediately called-up to the U23 team – even though he had to take a break to sign for Esperance.

He returned well on time to make the team to Lusaka, and on returning to Nigeria on Tuesday, says he will be not be returning to Tunisia just yet, but will go ahead to see his mother.

“The Vice President (of Esperance) has been calling me to return by Friday or Saturday, but I don’t think I will be able to do that,” he said.

“I want to go and see my mom because I haven’t seen her since the Africa Youth Championship and she has been crying to see me,” he added.

The forward has been included in the Flying Eagles’ 35-man provisional squad for the FIFA U20 World Cup and is expected to make the final squad of 21.
[/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Nobody: 4:14pm On Apr 16, 2015
joseph1013:
[b][size=14pt]The Time Is Near By Ademetan Abayomi[/size]

With the Nigeria Football Federation yet to name a coach for the Super Eagles, I will urge them to hand the job to whoever they want on a short-term basis.

I am one of the many Nigerian football enthusiasts who toasted to the success of Coach Stephen Keshi and also asked questions when the Super Eagles failed to qualify for the 2015 African Cup of Nations.

As to whether he was successful or not, I leave that to my cherished readers to judge.

The NFF are dragging their feet on handing a new contract to Stephen Keshi and with the Nations Cup Qualifiers around the corner it calls for concern.

The nation must move on; the Super Eagles must move on. The team has to be assembled in time to start the qualification to the next African Cup of Nations to be staged in Gabon.

Time is of great essence. We have no luxury of toiling with decisions surrounding the Super Eagles now.

My advice to the NFF is to still leave Daniel Amokachi as the interim coach for now until after the FIFA U20 World Cup in Chile.

I believe Manu Garba, the Gold Winning Coach of the Flying Eagles at the 2015 Orange African Youth Championship, is the best man for the Super Eagles now.

Across the length and breadth of the nation, there is no better groomed Nigerian coach to lead the Super Eagles now.

Coach Manu has gone through the mill, coached teams, understudied a lot of coaches, and he is surely ready to serve the nation as the next Super Eagles Coach.

Garba is credited with the nurturing of players like Taiwo Awoniyi, Isaac Success, Chigozie Obasi, Musa Muhammed, Samuel Okon, Ifeanyi Ifeanyi, Obinna Nwobodo, Mustapha Abdullahi, Aliyu Abubakar, Bello Zaharadeen, Kelechi Iheanacho, Chidiebere Nwakali, Izuchukwu Omego, Bernard Bulbwa, Dele Alampasu and a host of others.

In 2007, Manu assisted late Yemi Tella to a title winning run at the FIFA U17 World Cup.

Six years later he was given full responsibility of the team. This time he won the 2013 FIFA U17 World Cup title as his team danced passed all opponents in the UAE.

He was then promoted as the head coach of the National Under 20 Team. The coach wrote his name in Gold! He led the team to win gold at the 2015 LMC Super Six tournament and gold at the 2015 AYC.

If the Flying Eagles go on to win the U20 World Cup in New Zealand, calls for him to be the next Super Eagles gaffer will increase.

The time to give him the chance to prove what he can do as the coach of the Super Eagles is near. It is indeed Manu Garba's time!
[/b]
i hope NFF listens to the voice of wisdom, appoints an interim coach and wait after the U-20 world cup before contracting a more permanent deal..
This U-20 coach is argueably Nigerian best at the moment. A coach who went on to win two trophies without a vast majority of his star players who were victorious in the previous U-17 world cup(iheanacho, nwakali, isaac, yahaha, ndidi, okon et al) is certainly a coach to be recogned with; a coach who's not swayed by a player's past laurel when taking a pick up from the bunch is certainly a coach worthy to be hired; a coach whose team B is equally as ferociously nifty as his Team A where there is a healthy fight for 'shirts' is, without dubiety, a deft coach worthy of a Job offer by NFF to steer the Super eagles to a much better outing. Needless to mention the delightful pattern of play he brings to the table of Nigerian football and his reluctance to grow complacent after every victory.
He has participated in three competitions and won all three. If that's not some achievements, i roundly don't see what is.

If his achievements can not merit him the Job, the fact that his talented boys needs to be cohered under him and not scattered abroad by a new coach should land him the Job.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by daveP(m): 12:27am On Apr 17, 2015
Wait, how old is Awo-striking Taiwo? 17? Or was that a mistake?

Even if Manu Garba wins@ New Zealand, i wont like the idea of a call up to SE. See what they did to Sia1.

Lets not forget that the Positivism most coaches express in the world of football is directly proportional to the player's attitude, provided his tactics is well executed.

Bad attitude by SE players ruined sia1. I dont want a repeat with GM. Let them call Westerhof if they are desperate. There's a good reason why.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by safarigirl(f): 12:51am On Apr 17, 2015
daveP:
Wait, how old is Awo-striking Taiwo? 17? Or was that a mistake?

Even if Manu Garba wins@ New Zealand, i wont like the idea of a call up to SE. See what they did to Sia1.

Lets not forget that the Positivism most coaches express in the world of football is directly proportional to the player's attitude, provided his tactics is well executed.

Bad attitude by SE players ruined sia1. I dont want a repeat with GM. Let them call Westerhof if they are desperate. There's a good reason why.
Awoniyi is 17, he'll be 18 by August.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by daveP(m): 12:56am On Apr 17, 2015
safarigirl:
Awoniyi is 17, he'll be 18 by August.
il say a loud "hmmm" to this. He is however very cool on the ball. Wonder how well Brazilian defence is preparing for his "knife thru the butter" abilities.

How you doing? smiley
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by safarigirl(f): 1:12am On Apr 17, 2015
daveP:
il say a loud "hmmm" to this. He is however very cool on the ball. Wonder how well Brazilian defence is preparing for his "knife thru the butter" abilities.

How you doing? smiley
no 'hmm' necessary. He was 16 at the 2013 World Cup and was quite lanky then, no more than 5ft 10". He should be around 6ft 2" by now and he's bulkier. Me thinks the age tallies with the growth.

The only thing I'm looking forward to in the Brazilian tean is Mosquito grin, I was kinda sad Sweden was unable to qualify for the U-20's cuz I was looking forward to seeing Uncle Berisha.

Anyway I'm doing fine, you?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by daveP(m): 1:27am On Apr 17, 2015
safarigirl:
no 'hmm' necessary. He was 16 at the 2013 World Cup and was quite lanky then, no more than 5ft 10". He should be around 6ft 2" by now and he's bulkier. Me thinks the age tallies with the growth.

The only thing I'm looking forward to in the Brazilian team is Mosquito grin, I was kinda sad Sweden was unable to qualify for the U-20's cuz I was looking forward to seeing Uncle Berisha.

Anyway I'm doing fine, you?
oh my. Methinks for every team we assemble, there will always be one, just one player who always terrorize us like he's the only one on the pitch. Berisha!!! That guy turns like a rotor. Will miss him.

List of terror-players in times past

-Rigobert song(1999)
-El hadji diouf(2004)
-Didier drogba(2006)
-Dos santos(2006)
-Bouazizi(2006)
-Messi(2005)
-Bojan(2007)
-Lacazette(2011)
-Berisha(2013)
- (space for Mosquito of brazil) grin

*U20 team 2015 is set to displace Holland 2005 team if they reach the final of this june event. This team has more talented individuals than then

2 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by zoboizee: 5:22am On Apr 17, 2015
NO. Not true. They are not as talented. Just better teamwork ratio. 2005 were better individually. more matured, experienced, compact and professionals. its being awhile. Dig up the names.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by safarigirl(f): 8:05am On Apr 17, 2015
zoboizee:
NO. Not true. They are not as talented. Just better teamwork ratio. 2005 were better individually. more matured, experienced, compact and professionals. its being awhile. Dig up the names.
2005 were a bunch of old dudes compared to these guys

2 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Nobody: 8:23am On Apr 17, 2015
zoboizee:
and more 'over-aged' you forgot to add.

I don't quite read from the same hymn with you. If the 2005 set had more talents individually, why was it that there was not even a single player who took the world of football by storm? Messi did and still doing. Ditto for some players from other countries. Taiwo and mikel who were apparently the best cut of the 2005 slice have both come short since and are such a squirm to watch. Only Satan knows where Taiwo is. He has since gone missing in active football that one is impelled to wonder if dude was among the chibok girls that were abducted. Mikel, you know, is no best thing since slice bread(not even 'agege bread'). Thank heaven he wasn't gifted 'African best player' last year. It would have been such a shame to have the African best player almost reduced to a ball-boy(who picks gone-out ball) in chelsea. You said we should dig up their names. By that you mean from the grave? 'Cause i'm having a hard time doing so. Where is promise isaac? Where is oyekachi Apam? Where is chinedu obasi? Are you still looking for them? Should i help you with our street-light so you could see well?

Comparatively, let's take a look at the present players that constitute our current U-20. I'll pick just 6 to drive home the point. Even though there are more talents.
1). Iheanacho: He's proven time and time again to be a huge talent. Won the best player in the U-17 world cup, bought by manchester city, proved his mettle in their pre-season outing and named among the best young talents in the world. I wondered apart from Mikel in his hey-days any of those of U-20 set had more talent that this manchester city dude. Name just one! I'm even tempted to say Mikel never had it that more nifty than this iheanacho dude. But that would be a lofty one.

2) Simon Moses. Best known as little ronaldo. Scores in almost every game in Genk. Was such a delight to watch when he was called up by super eagles a couple of days ago. He is such a real talent you would agree.

3).Bulbwa: he needs no introduction. The stunning-scoring dude at the just concluded African U-20 championship. His staggering profile speaks bunch. And to think it was this dude who previously kept iheanacho on the bench. That convey a whole lot to take in.

4). Awoniyi: blood of God! Dude is the rave of the moment. Consistently having his opponents on the ropes. We saw that in the U-17 world cup when he came on to replace the Injured isaac(another sheer talent you will agree with me). We saw that at the super six where he terrorised the defence of kano pillars, dolphin et al. We saw that the u-20 championship in senegal. And his brace saw the U-23 qualified for the All African Game. Please can you confidently point a striker in the 2005 set that was more clinically adroit than this dude. Even success Isaac runs ring over them.

5). Yahaya: the spurs young star. known as little iniesta. Great vision. Great passing skills laced with proficient ability to score goals. Promise Isaac of 2005 set though over-aged is no match i'm afraid. He can only play catch up with new talents like Ifeanyi Ifeanyi and nwobodo.

6). I'm in quandary who to give this spot . There are ample of them. Will it be Musa the pacy, strong, scoring right back Or Ndidi the solid central back or nwakali the dazzling mid-fieder or alampasu the U-17 world best keeper or the present U-20 keeper who's giving alampasu a nail-biter competition? And the list goes on and on.

Flowing from the foregoing it is visible to the blind and apparent like GEJ's cluelessness that that not only does this Present u-20 set have a bette team-work ratio than the erst-while 2005 U-20 set, but they run ring over them in terms of individual talents. In fact i make bold to say 'the Team B of this Present U-20 is a little better than the Team A of the 2005 U-20 set'(i have the right to hold any opinion. Sue me).

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 9:20am On Apr 17, 2015
Epaul:

I don't quite read from the same hymn with you. If the 2005 set had more talents individually, why was it that there was not even a single player who took the world of football by storm? Messi did and still doing. Ditto for some players from other countries. Taiwo and mikel who were apparently the best cut of the 2015 slice have both come short since and are such a squirm to watch. Only Satan knows where Taiwo is. He has since gone missing in active football that one is impelled to wonder if dude was among the chibok girls that were abducted. Mikel, you know, is no best thing since slice bread(not even 'agege bread'). Thank heaven he wasn't gifted 'African best player' last year. It would have been such a shame to have the African best player almost reduced to a ball-boy(who picks gone-out ball) in chelsea. You said we should dig up their names. By that you mean from the grave? 'Cause i'm having a hard time doing so. Where is promise isaac? Where is oyekachi Apam? Where is chinedu obasi? Are you still looking for them? Should i help you with our street-light so you could see well?

Comparatively, let's take a look at the present players that constitute our current U-20. I'll pick just 6 to drive home the point. Even though there are more talents.
1). Iheanacho: He's proven time and time again to be a huge talent. Won the best player in the U-17 world cup, bought by machestercity, proved his mettle in their pre-season outing and named among the best young talents in the world. I wondered apart from Mikel in his hey-days any of those of U-20 set had more talent that this machestercity dude. Name just one! I'm even tempted to say Mikel never had it that more nifty than this iheanacho dude. But that would be a lofty one.

2) Simon Moses. Best known as little ronaldo. Scores in almost every game in Genk. Was such a delight to watch when he was called up by super eagles a couple of days ago. He is such a real talent you would agree.

3).Bulwa: he needs no introduction. The stunning-scoring dude at the just concluded African U-20 championship. His staggering profile speaks bunch. And to think it was this dude who previously kept iheanacho on the bench. That convey a whole lot to take in.

4). Awoniyi: blood of God! Dude is the rave of the moment. Consistently having his opponents on the ropes. We saw that in the U-17 world cup when he came on to replace the Injured isaac(another sheer talent you will agree with me). We saw that at the super six where he terrorised the defence of kano pillars, dolphin et al. We saw that the u-20 championship in senegal. And his brace say the U-23 qualified for the All African Game. Please can you confidently point a striker in the 2005 set that was more clinically adroit than this dude. Even success Isaac runs ring over them.

5). Yahaya: the spurs younger star. known as little iniesta. Great vision. Great passing skills laced with proficient ability to score goals. Promise Isaac of 2005 set though over-aged is no match i'm afraid. He can only play catch up with new talents like Ifeanyi Ifeanyi and nwobodo.

6). I'm in quandary who to give this spot . There are ample of them. Will it be Musa the pacy, strong, scoring right back Or Ndidi the solid central back or nwakali the dazzling mid-fieder or alampasu the U-17 world best keeper or the present U-20 keeper who's giving alampasu a nail-biter competition? And the list goes on and on.

Flowing from the foregoing it is visible to the blind and apparent like GEJ's cluelessness that that not only does this Present u-20 set have a bette team-work ratio than the erst-while 2005 U-20 set, but they run ring over them in terms of individual talents. In fact i make bold to say 'the Team B of this Present U-20 is a little better than the Team A of the 2005 U-20 set'(i have the right to hold any opinion. Sue me).

Dude, your write-up makes me smile. Good stuff.

What I'll say though is that we wait and see what happens eventually. Too early to say they are DEFINITELY better. They have to win the U-20 World Cup to categorically say that and then they need to have a successful career as a bunch, and in the process become integrated into the Super Eagles' setup.

I wholehearted want that to happen.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Nobody: 10:08am On Apr 17, 2015
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Nobody: 10:19am On Apr 17, 2015
joseph1013:

thanks.

joseph1013:

What I'll say though is that we wait and see what happens eventually. Too early to say they are DEFINITELY better. They have to win the U-20 World Cup to categorically say that and then they need to have a successful career as a bunch, and in the process become integrated into the Super Eagles' setup.[/b]
True that. I'm well aware it's too early for that. Just playing apostle paul to him - being to a Jew, a Jew since dude was prematuredly making his comparative assertion before waiting to see how the boys turn out in the last resort...
At any rate, i'm a staunch believer of the fact that these present boys will go on to do great things. Awoniyi is already proving that. For one they are comparatively younger unlike Taiwo of the 2005 set who was gayly celebrating his 21years old birthday with white kids whereas his twin brother was in the village celebrating his 40years birthday with the elders of their village.

joseph1013:

I wholehearted want that to happen.[/b]
i sure do. I love the team to bits.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:52am On Apr 17, 2015
joseph1013:

What I'll say though is that we wait and see what happens eventually. Too early to say they are DEFINITELY better. They have to win the U-20 World Cup to categorically say that and then they need to have a successful career as a bunch, and in the process become integrated into the Super Eagles' setup.

I wholehearted want that to happen.
[b]
These lads are special. The present flying eagles team is a team of Super stars. Naturally, Taiwo Awoniyi is not one of the top players of the team but he is a raving star of the Under-23 team. That tells you a lot.

However, I still believe Mikel was an exceptional talent but change in role hampered his chance for greatness.

A good example is Marouane Fellaini of Manchester United. I received abuses when I told Manchester United fans that Fellaini is of World Class quality. I was fortunate to watch Fellaini play for his national team before he joined Everton and Moyes changed his role and his style of play.

Under Van Gaal, Fellaini is showing the kind of form that will have Real Madrid and Barcelona fighting for his signature. That is, if he continues playing the way he does. (Advice to Mourinho, put Mikel on Fellaini and you tame Man U).

That is the same thing that happened to Mikel and that is what we should pray should not happen to our present Flying Eagles stars. A change in role can hinder greatness.

For instance, a coach can hinder Iheanacho by looking at his strength and pace and decide he should play as a box to box midfielder. Meanwhile, Nacho's standout talent is his finishing inside the 18 yard box. Playing as a box to box midfielder will hinder his finishing ability.[/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by robosky02(m): 12:26pm On Apr 17, 2015
when i think of the u20

i can only say there is hope.......

cos the likes of mikel et tel are all goning down with the wind
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by chrisooblog: 1:42pm On Apr 17, 2015
funny but good article nice analysis what I can say again about most of these current set of u20s is their technical ability the way they are comfortable on the ball so mature way beyond their years. manu garba deserves a mountain load of commendations for assembling such talented boys and not your typical 'jam body' variant our other national coaches haves been serving us.
Epaul:

I don't quite read from the same hymn with you. If the 2005 set had more talents individually, why was it that there was not even a single player who took the world of football by storm? Messi did and still doing. Ditto for some players from other countries. Taiwo and mikel who were apparently the best cut of the 2015 slice have both come short since and are such a squirm to watch. Only Satan knows where Taiwo is. He has since gone missing in active football that one is impelled to wonder if dude was among the chibok girls that were abducted. Mikel, you know, is no best thing since slice bread(not even 'agege bread'). Thank heaven he wasn't gifted 'African best player' last year. It would have been such a shame to have the African best player almost reduced to a ball-boy(who picks gone-out ball) in chelsea. You said we should dig up their names. By that you mean from the grave? 'Cause i'm having a hard time doing so. Where is promise isaac? Where is oyekachi Apam? Where is chinedu obasi? Are you still looking for them? Should i help you with our street-light so you could see well?

1). Iheanacho: He's proven time and time again to be a huge talent. Won the best player in the U-17 world cup, bought by manchester city, proved his mettle in their pre-season outing and named among the best young talents in the world. I wondered apart from Mikel in his hey-days any of those of U-20 set had more talent that this manchester city dude. Name just one! I'm even tempted to say Mikel never had it that more nifty than this iheanacho dude. But that would be a lofty one.

3).Bulbwa: he needs no introduction. The stunning-scoring dude at the just concluded African U-20 championship. His staggering profile speaks bunch. And to think it was this dude who previously kept iheanacho on the bench. That convey a whole lot to take in.

4). Awoniyi: blood of God! Dude is the rave of the moment. Consistently having his opponents on the ropes. We saw that in the U-17 world cup when he came on to replace the Injured isaac(another sheer talent you will agree with me). We saw that at the super six where he terrorised the defence of kano pillars, dolphin et al. We saw that the u-20 championship in senegal. And his brace saw the U-23 qualified for the All African Game. Please can you confidently point a striker in the 2005 set that was more clinically adroit than this dude. Even success Isaac runs ring over them.

5). Yahaya: the spurs young star. known as little iniesta. Great vision. Great passing skills laced with proficient ability to score goals. Promise Isaac of 2005 set though over-aged is no match i'm afraid. He can only play catch up with new talents like Ifeanyi Ifeanyi and nwobodo.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by daveP(m): 2:06pm On Apr 17, 2015
zoboizee:
lol, what i wanna say has been said already.

Adeleye, isaac promise, keita, mikel, obasi, taiwo, uwa vanzekin.... They had to give them "puffic" aka large shirts just to look young outwardly. Taiwo definitely wasnt u20 then, same for keita and dele adeleye. I recall vanzekin acted been a young boy all thru the tourney that till date his age wasnt scrutinized. grin

I think i can give them something, they knew how to communicate without shouting, looking twice. Something sia1 did to 3 other teams save SE.

But this Garba's team-placing, team fluidity, ball possession...... And they play very sweet ground football(2005 were better aerially).

Then age is definitely very much on this team's side.

Almost all of the starting eleven are goalscorers.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by daveP(m): 2:13pm On Apr 17, 2015
Epaul:
thanks.

True that. I'm well aware it's too early for that. Just playing apostle paul to him - being to a Jew, a Jew since dude was pematuredly making his comparative assertion before waiting to see how the boys turn out in the last resort...
At any rate, i'm a staunch believer of the fact that these present boys will go on to do great things. Awoniyi is already proving that. For one they are comparatively younger unlike Taiwo of the 2005 set who was gayly celebrating his 21years old birthday with white kids whereas his twin brother was in the village celebrating his 40years birthday with the elders of their village.

i sure do. I love the team to bits.
grin grin

the only thing was he became the best thing in terms of left foot when SE were giving us HBP. If he wasnt..... Twould have been worse case. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by daveP(m): 2:24pm On Apr 17, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

[b]
These lads are special. The present flying eagles team is a team of Super stars. Naturally, Taiwo Awoniyi is not one of the top players of the team but he is a raving star of the Under-23 team. That tells you a lot.

However, I still believe Mikel was an exceptional talent but change in role hampered his chance for greatness.

A good example is Marouane Fellaini of Manchester United. I received abuses when I told Manchester United fans that Fellaini is of World Class quality. I was fortunate to watch Fellaini play for his national team before he joined Everton and Moyes changed his role and his style of play.

Under Van Gaal, Fellaini is showing the kind of form that will have Real Madrid and Barcelona fighting for his signature. That is, if he continues playing the way he does. (Advice to Mourinho, put Mikel on Fellaini and you tame Man U).

That is the same thing that happened to Mikel and that is what we should pray should not happen to our present Flying Eagles stars. A change in role can hinder greatness.

For instance, a coach can hinder Iheanacho by looking at his strength and pace and decide he should play as a box to box midfielder. Meanwhile, Nacho's standout talent is his finishing inside the 18 yard box. Playing as a box to box midfielder will hinder his finishing ability.[/b]
if any of my kids ask about why mikel went down, il just say "Mou aka indeed special" ruined him technically and pyschologically. A whole 2nd best@ a world cup?? Just saying the truth the way it is. Some blame mikel himself forgetting that a coach decides who and who plays in his team.

Man City dare not try that with our Iheanacho. He has potentials better than Yaya and Silva combined.

And i think its time the SE staff stop this mentality of "he is too young to play in the senior team"

messi, aguero, rodiguez, martinez, hazard, rooney, owen all broke in and played alongsides the snr brothers. Alampasu for one, and Nwakali deserve not just a call up, but playing time as well. Must everything be "make una graduate small small"?

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by daveP(m): 2:43pm On Apr 17, 2015
@Antell95, HBD to you. Just saw it now. Cheers and more fluent analysis to your talent
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Nobody: 2:47pm On Apr 17, 2015
chrisooblog:
funny but good article nice analysis
thanks.
chrisooblog:
what I can say again about most of these current set of u20s is their technical ability the way they are comfortable on the ball so mature way beyond their years. manu garba deserves a mountain load of commendations for assembling such talented boys and not your typical 'jam body' variant our other national coaches haves been serving us.
very good observation..
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 3:27pm On Apr 17, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Ugbade: We’re Not Ready For Super Eagles Yet Until After U20 World Cup[/size]

With a section of fans calling for the deployment of the duo of Manu Garba and Nduka Ugbade to the Super Eagles, Flying Eagles assistant coach and former Super Eagle, Nduka Ugbade, has stated that they are not thinking of joining the Super Eagles…at least not yet.

The former Nigeria international says the focus on the U20 World Cup is the most important thing for them at the moment, and not a deployment to coach the Super Eagles.

“I wouldn’t say yes at the moment because what we have in front of us is the U20,” he told SL10.ng.

“We have to focus on the task at hand now, which is the U20, and that is what we have,” he said.

But despite saying the step-up doesn’t interest them at the moment; he however added that if they win the U20 World Cup, then they can talk about the Super Eagles.

“Until we win the U20 World Cup, then we can talk about the Super Eagles. But for now, we have the U20.”

There has been a lot of talk from the fans about promoting Ugbade and Manu to coach the Super Eagles, with the bulk of the current U20 boys also promoted to the Super Eagles.

Meanwhile, Stephen Keshi is set to continue as the Super Eagles coach with Salisu Mohammed as his assistant in place of Daniel Amokachi.
[/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:35pm On Apr 17, 2015
joseph1013:
[b][size=14pt]Ugbade: We’re Not Ready For Super Eagles Yet Until After U20 World Cup[/size]

With a section of fans calling for the deployment of the duo of Manu Garba and Nduka Ugbade to the Super Eagles, Flying Eagles assistant coach and former Super Eagle, Nduka Ugbade, has stated that they are not thinking of joining the Super Eagles…at least not yet.

The former Nigeria international says the focus on the U20 World Cup is the most important thing for them at the moment, and not a deployment to coach the Super Eagles.

“I wouldn’t say yes at the moment because what we have in front of us is the U20,” he told SL10.ng.

“We have to focus on the task at hand now, which is the U20, and that is what we have,” he said.

But despite saying the step-up doesn’t interest them at the moment; he however added that if they win the U20 World Cup, then they can talk about the Super Eagles.

“Until we win the U20 World Cup, then we can talk about the Super Eagles. But for now, we have the U20.”

There has been a lot of talk from the fans about promoting Ugbade and Manu to coach the Super Eagles, with the bulk of the current U20 boys also promoted to the Super Eagles.

Meanwhile, Stephen Keshi is set to continue as the Super Eagles coach with Salisu Mohammed as his assistant in place of Daniel Amokachi.
[/b]

I will also join into the call for this pair of coaches to take over the National team. I agree that the Under - 20 WYC is a priority but after that, they should be able to take over.

Julen Lopetegui coach of FC Porto who recently coached Porto to beat Guardiola's Bayern Munich in the Champions league joined FC Porto after coaching the Under-21 side of Spain. He is doing well at Porto. So the step from age grade level to the National team or top flight football is not high.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Antell95(m): 8:39pm On Apr 17, 2015
daveP:
@Antell95, HBD to you. Just saw it now. Cheers and more fluent analysis to your talent

lool!

Thank you @davep

grin
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by zoboizee: 8:45pm On Apr 17, 2015
Good analyses guys. But time will tell.5 years from now. Remember i said individual talent. Mind you truth be told most of these under 20 guys are more than 25 years. And you can argue it MRI scan whatever! Seeing is believing.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by safarigirl(f): 8:59pm On Apr 17, 2015
zoboizee:
Good analyses guys. But time will tell.5 years from now. Remember i said individual talent. Mind you truth be told most of these under 20 guys are more than 25 years. And you can argue it MRI scan whatever! Seeing is believing.
please name the ones you think are over 25.

Is it Awoniyi, Yahaya, Alampasu, Iheanacho, Chidiebere, Chidera, Zaharadeen Bello or Musa Muhammad that are up to 25?

Cuz if it's any of those guys, I can get you a pic of them 2 years ago and one of them now and then you'll have to tell me if you know anyone in their 20's who has such rapid change in physique in 2 years (if you even know any)

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by tbaba1234: 9:13pm On Apr 17, 2015
zoboizee:

Hmmm, when it comes to age, sight is deceptive. Did you see egbon Berisha at the u17 world cup?? or Mosquito of Brazil?? If you see me, you will think, i am six years younger and i be their bros...

This is a picture of Barca's Ekpolo

He went to Barca at age 10, he is now 19. I am sure if he grew up in Nigeria, you will call him overage too because of his face.

All the players that took the MRI scan at the U17 are at most +2 of that age. The MRI is 99% accurate but bones may develop slowly that is the reason for the +2. Players like Bulbwa who passed the MRI at U17 Africa but failed before the world cup are also within the range.

This is the youngest ever team, Nigeria has produced at this level.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Tomtoxic: 12:19am On Apr 18, 2015
I know 1 of d boys hu played d u-17 and I can authoritatively tell u he is about 23 nw and he is in d provisional u-20 squad

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (232) (Reply)

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 160
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.