Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,114 members, 7,818,320 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:35 PM

Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) - Sports (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) (479948 Views)

Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / FIFA U-20 World Cup New Zealand 2015 Full Time Table And Fixtures / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (232) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 5:24am On Feb 14, 2015
joseph1013:
[b]NFF To Intervene To Resolve Alampasu Debacle

SL10 sources have confirmed on authoritative terms that any moment from now the Nigeria Football Federation will intervene on the dispute over which club rightly owns the playing and economic rights of Dele Alampasu, who recently signed a contract that will start rolling at Estoril Praia of Portugal in the summer of 2015.

The Flying Eagles goalkeeper signed a four-year deal at the Primeira Liga club at the tail end of the last transfer window.

Soon after a big scandal erupted as Mr Ojo Oladimeji of Future Stars Academy and Abuja Football College claimed ownership of the player and as such that Remo Stars were not authorised to transfer the player whom they (Ojo Olademiji and Abuja Football Academy) claim had written and valid agreements as regards the economic rights of the player.

Further controversy arose when the goal minder denied having any agreement with Ojo Oladimeji or Abuja Football College on his future transfer abroad in the past.

However, the aggrieved parties want Olusola Orelaja, the agent that brokered the deal to show the world the terms of contract the promising lad signed in the January transfer window.

The football governing body in Nigeria is expected to set up a committee to look into the matter and all parties are expected to be invited to Abuja to ensure that the issue doesn't escalate than expected.
[/b]
Nice from the NFF. This should not turn into a mess and affect the young man's career.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 1:20pm On Feb 14, 2015
Flying Eagles Arrive In Ghana

The Flying Eagles of Nigeria landed at the Kotoka International Airport in Accra, Ghana on Friday evening ahead of two warm-up matches against the Ghanaian U20s.

The Manu Garba led team who were crowned champions of the Super 4 pre-season tournament few weeks back will face the Black Satellites of Ghana on February 16 & 19, the first match will be played at the Accra Sports Stadium while the second match will be played three days later,Thursday at the Tema Sports Stadium which has an artificial pitch.

Both games will start by 15h00 local time which is 16h00 Nigerian time.

The Flying Eagles who were booked into the MPlaza Hotel will have their first training by 3pm today,Saturday at the Presec Park in Accra NFF deputy secretary general Emmanuel Ikpeme lead the Nigerian delegation to Ghana.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 8:53pm On Feb 14, 2015
[b]YOBO TO FLYING EAGLES: YOU CAN BE BIGGER STARS

Former Nigeria skipper Joseph Yobo has urged the Flying Eagles to work harder so they could be bigger stars than he and his contemporaries were.

Yobo met up with the Nigeria U20s at the Murtala Mohammed Airport in Lagos on their way to Ghana for two test matches against their Ghanaian counterparts.

“You can be bigger stars than we were,” Yobo told the players.

“I left this country for Europe when I was just 17 and before you know it, I was my family’s bread winner. You can also do same and even more, but you must be willing to work hard and make the necessary sacrifices.

“You have some great coaches and you only have to obey their instructions to make it in this game.”

Yobo, who has won a record 101 full international caps for Nigeria, also featured at the 1999 FIFA U20 World Cup, which Nigeria hosted.

Former Nigerian sports minister Bolaji Abdullahi also encountered the team at the airport and restated his belief that the Flying Eagles are the future of Nigerian football.

“I am delighted there is continuity in this squad, from U17 to now U20. This team is the future of Nigerian football, I have no doubt about this,” declared Abdullahi.

In the meantime, leader of the Nigerian delegation to the warm-up matches against Ghana Black Satellites, Emmanuel Ikpeme, has told the team he expects them to win in Ghana.

“We all know the rivalry between the two countries and so I expect you to ensure victory in these two matches,” tasked Ikpeme.

“A lot is now expected of you after your recent exploits in the Super 4 in Abuja.

“You cannot afford to relax, rather you have to be focused and professional so as to attain the height of your careers.”

The Flying Eagles had their first training at the
Presbyterian Secondary School in Abuja. They trained for two hours with defender Zaharadeen Bello the only one who did not train fully with the rest of the squad on account of a swollen back foot.

The Flying Eagles will also train Sunday morning. They will play against their Ghanaian counterparts on Monday and Wednesday before they return to Abuja on Thursday.
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 9:13pm On Feb 15, 2015
ALAMPASU BEGINS ESTORIL CONTRACT JULY

Nigeria U20 goalkeeper Sunday Alampasu has said he hopes to join Portuguese club Estoril to begin his pro career abroad in July after signing a four-year deal.

“I will join Estoril in July after I signed a four-year contract with them,” disclosed Alampasu, whoclocked 18 in December.

“It was not easy to get a contract as I have had trials in Belgium and Spain. I was close to joining Sporting Braga (in Portugal) after passing a medical there only for them to get back to me to say they do not have the money to sign me.

“Estoril came to my rescue only after I gave up on things like signing-on fees and all that.
“I believe this will be my stepping stone in Europe.”

Alampasu played a key role as Nigeria won a record fourth FIFA U17 World Cup two years ago.

He is currently with the Nigeria U20 team ahead of the African Youth Championship, which will begin in Senegal next month.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 10:29pm On Feb 15, 2015
joseph1013:
ALAMPASU BEGINS ESTORIL CONTRACT JULY

Nigeria U20 goalkeeper Sunday Alampasu has said he hopes to join Portuguese club Estoril to begin his pro career abroad in July after signing a four-year deal.

“I will join Estoril in July after I signed a four-year contract with them,” disclosed Alampasu, whoclocked 18 in December.

“It was not easy to get a contract as I have had trials in Belgium and Spain. I was close to joining Sporting Braga (in Portugal) after passing a medical there only for them to get back to me to say they do not have the money to sign me.

“Estoril came to my rescue only after I gave up on things like signing-on fees and all that.
“I believe this will be my stepping stone in Europe.”

Alampasu played a key role as Nigeria won a record fourth FIFA U17 World Cup two years ago.

He is currently with the Nigeria U20 team ahead of the African Youth Championship, which will begin in Senegal next month.
I pray you have a nice stay at Portugal. I also pray your sacrifices will come back to bless you. Good luck lad.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Segadem(m): 11:33am On Feb 16, 2015
thegoodjoehunt3:
I pray you have a nice stay at Portugal. I also pray your sacrifices will come back to bless you. Good luck lad.
AMEN!

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by zoboizee: 6:20pm On Feb 16, 2015
ghana u20 vs nigeria u20 played out a 2-2 draw few minutes ago. ghana equalized in the second half after the flying eagles led by two goals to one at half time.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 8:33pm On Feb 16, 2015
[b]In-Form Flying Eagles Held By Black Satellites

Flying Eagles of Nigeria were forced to a thrilling two-all draw by the Black Satellites of Ghana in an international friendly game played on Monday at the Ohene Djan Stadium.

Nigeria coach Manu Garba had demanded a strong performance from his players before they embarked on the trip to Ghana.

Despite the result - the Flying Eagles delivered and played good football.

However, the technical crew won't be happy with the manner in which the defence line responded to pressure at some situations in the game.

Nigeria U20 team went into the contest fresh from winning the Super Six.

As expected, Garba fielded a strong side with goalkeeper Joshua Enaholo the preferred choice for the number one spot.

Chidera Ezeh, who impressed in recent matches of the Flying Eagles partnered Taiwo Awoniyi in attack.

Captain Musa Muhammed was the preferred choice at right back, while left back Mustapha Abdullahi kept his place in the starting line up.

The quartet of Idowu Akinjide, Ifeanyi Ifeanyi, Musa Yahaya and Ifeanyi Matthew started as the four midfielders.

Ghana had the chance to grab the first goal, but it was Nigeria who took the lead through Musa Yahaya's 22nd-minute strike.

Some misses by the Nigerian side proved costly as Ghana equalised in the 35th minute as an effort went pass the helpless goalkeeper.

The Nigerian side went in front five minutes later.

Striking sensation Chidera Ezeh found the back of the net for the Flying Eagles.

Ghana drew level early in the second half. They equalised in the 51st minute.

Both teams had their share of chances to win the game but were denied by great goalkeeping.

The Flying Eagles used the international friendly game as part of their preparation ahead of the 2015 African Youth Championship to be staged in Senegal.

The two team would clash again on Thursday 19th February at the Tema Astroturf Stadium.

Flying Eagles Starters: Joshua Enaholo, Zaharadeen Bello, Izu Omego, Musa Muhammed Mustapha Abdullahi, Ifeanyi Ifeanyi, Akinjide Idowu, Ifeanyi Matthew, Musa Yahaya, Taiwo Awoniyi, Chidera Ezeh

Reserves: Dele Alampasu, Olorunleke Ojo, Samuel Okon, Abdulganiyu Saheed, Bernard Bulbwa, Abdullahi Alfa, Obinna Nwobodo, Abdullahi Ibrahim Alhassan, Usman Hassan, Abubakar Lawal, Wasiu Jimoh
[/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 11:25am On Feb 17, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Success Showing Good Form For Granada B[/size]

Isaac Success is making good use of his time with the B team of La Liga outfit Granada with five goals in his last five games for the team campaigning in the third division of Spanish football.

The Flying Eagles striker who scored once in 15 games for the main team in La Liga has so far featured 7 times for the B team currently placed 4th in their group.

So far he has scored in all but two of the games he has played and in last weekend's game against Real Betis B his goal earned his side a 1-1 draw.

His impressive goal tally for the B side includes a hattrick in the 5-2 win over Cordoba B and his good form might earn him a recall to the senior side for whom he last played for on the 18th of January.

Highly rated by former Manager Joaquin Capparos who was sacked in January he is yet to find favour in new manager Abel Resino who has so far used him just once in the five games he has handled the team. [/b]

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Fribery: 12:06pm On Feb 17, 2015
joseph1013:
[b][size=14pt]Success Showing Good Form For Granada B[/size]

Isaac Success is making good use of his time with the B team of La Liga outfit Granada with five goals in his last five games for the team campaigning in the third division of Spanish football.

The Flying Eagles striker who scored once in 15 games for the main team in La Liga has so far featured 7 times for the B team currently placed 4th in their group.

So far he has scored in all but two of the games he has played and in last weekend's game against Real Betis B his goal earned his side a 1-1 draw.

His impressive goal tally for the B side includes a hattrick in the 5-2 win over Cordoba B and his good form might earn him a recall to the senior side for whom he last played for on the 18th of January.

Highly rated by former Manager Joaquin Capparos who was sacked in January he is yet to find favour in new manager Abel Resino who has so far used him just once in the five games he has handled the team. [/b]

I really want to se dis guy isaac grow from strength to strength. . wish him d best.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 4:37pm On Feb 17, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Ugbade: Flying Eagles Not Clinical Enough[/size]

Flying Eagles assistant coach, Nduka Ugbade has bemoaned the team’s 2-2 draw against the Black Satellites of Ghana in an international friendly on Monday.

The Nigerian U20’s took the lead through enterprising winger Musa Yahaya in the 22nd minute at the Ohene Djan Stadium, before the Ghanaians equalized 12 minutes later.

But Ugbade believes his players were not clinical enough and lacked the killer instinct to see off the game.

“I thought it was a good game for us but we weren’t clinical enough in front of goal. We created a lot of chances that we couldn’t convert.

“We gave the Ghanaians the opportunity back into the game after taking the lead and the defense was a bit shaky at times.

“We didn’t show enough control and character and we gave them too much space and time on the ball,” Ugbade bemoaned.

The former Nigeria international however expressed confidence there will be some improvements by the time they play the second game on Wednesday.

“We have seen the areas where we had some problems and hopefully we will show improvements by the time we play them on Wednesday.

“We want to keep improving before the Africa Youth Championship and we must seize every opportunity to improve.”[/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 4:39pm On Feb 17, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Pinnick Meets With English-Based Nigerian Players' Parents[/size]

President of the Nigeria Football Federation Amaju Pinnick has met with parents of some Nigerian youngsters across the top rank in England.

“I was able to see Kenneth Omeruo and Chuba Akpom at their match on Saturday. I am meeting the parents of a number of these youngsters this time and have plans to meet all of them and also their parents in due course,” he said of his trip to England.

“You see, some of them might have represented England at junior level, but they are willing to represent Nigeria at senior level, and that is what we are looking at. We are looking at strengthening our teams at all levels and these players are willing, once we can convince them that there is a new set-up in Nigeria football.”

Pinnick is expected to have discussions with the parents of 18 year old attacking midfielder Alex Iwobi of Arsenal, who has joined up with the country’s Olympic Team ahead of their departure for an 11th All-Africa Games qualifying match against Gabon in Libreville on Saturday, as well as former Chelsea centre back Joshua Debayo, also 18, now on the books of another Premiership team, Southampton. Debayo is also an England U-18 international.

There is also Fejiri Okenabirhie, 19 year old former Arsenal winger, now with Stevenage.

19 year old Brighton FC striker Chike Kandi, formerly with Chelsea FC and Chelsea and England U-19 defender Ola Aina, 18.

Mayowa Balogun, 18, is a versatile defender with Wigan Athletic FC while Arsenal defender Semi Ajayi is getting better by the day.[/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 4:42pm On Feb 17, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Garba: We Gave The Game Away[/size]

Flying Eagles coach, Manu Garba is hoping for a better outing from his players on Wednesdaywhen they face their Ghanaian counterparts in the second game of their two-legged friendly.

The Nigerians drew 2-2 in the first game at the Ohene Djan Stadium, with the Flying Eagles taking the lead on two occasions, but allowed the Black Satellites back on both cases, and Manu claims that they gave the game away.

“We gave away the game through some silly schoolboy errors,” the Flying Eagles boss told thenff.com.

But despite the seeming disappointed at how his team fared, the former Golden Eaglets coach acknowledged that it was a good test of their preparations for the Africa Youth Championship in Senegal.

“It was a good test for us as it gave some of our players the necessary international exposure.”

He added further that he expects a better outing from the team when they face the Ghanaians again on Wednesday.

“We hope for a better outing in the second match on Wednesday in Tema,” Manu posited.

The Flying Eagles will play hosts Senegal, Congo and Cote d’ Ivoire in group A, while the Ghanaians will play South Africa, Mali and Zambia in group B.[/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by tbaba1234: 5:14pm On Feb 17, 2015
They need Abubakar and Ndidi back.... They need to be clinical...
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 5:26pm On Feb 17, 2015
[size=14pt]Iheanacho resumes training with Manchester City[/size]

Nigeria starlet Kelechi Iheanacho has resumed training with his English Premier League club Manchester City after an ankle injury.

“Kelechi has said he is back training after he has recovered from an ankle injury which kept him out for several weeks,” Flying Eagles team administrator Aliyu Ibrahim Awal disclosed.

Manchester City blocked Iheanacho from next month’s African Youth Championship in Senegal, saying he would not have recovered in time for the tournament.

However, Ibrahim Awal said no decision has been considered to try and get Iheanacho feature at Senegal 2015 based on the latest developments.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 8:44am On Feb 18, 2015
[b][size=14pt]U-20 World Cup Draw Pits African Champions With Brazil[/size]

The draw for the FIFA U-20 World Cup New Zealand 2015 has taken place in Auckland, mapping out the group-stage challenge for each of the 24 teams involved.

Arguably the pick of the sections drawn at the impressive SKYCITY Convention Centre was Group D, which pits Mexico against 2013 runners-up Uruguay, Serbia and an as-yet undecided African opponent.

Hosts New Zealand, meanwhile, will take on Ukraine in the opening match on 30 May, this in a section that also includes USA and debutants Myanmar.

As for the tournament's other first-timers, Fiji, they face a demanding debut in the U-20 showpiece, with their first match a baptism of fire against European champions Germany.

Proceedings were conducted by FIFA's Events Director, Colin Smith and Senior Competitions Manager, Rhiannon Martin, with help from draw assistants Danny Hay, Wynton Rufer, Steve Sumner and Ivan Vicelich. There were also speeches from New Zealand's Minister for Sport and Recreation, Jonathan Coleman, and from FIFA Vice-President Jeffrey Webb, who spoke of the tournament's legendary potential for unearthing stars.

"Several of the players who have starred in previous FIFA U-20 World Cups played at last year's FIFA World Cup in Brazil, such as James Rodriguez and Paul Pogba," said Webb, who is also Chairman of the tournament's Organising Committee. "No doubt we will see more World Cup stars discovered here in a New Zealand in a few months' time. This is a wonderful competition that inspires many youngsters, both boys and girls alike, to play the game and to follow football clubs."

New Zealand 2015 will be the 20th edition of the U-20 World Cup, a tournament already famous for helping launch the careers of Diego Maradona, Ronaldinho, Lionel Messi and many more of the game's all-time greats. It will be held between 30 May and 20 June in seven cities across the country's north and south islands.

Full draw

Group A
New Zealand
Ukraine
USA
Myanmar

Group B
Argentina
Panama
CAF 3
Austria

Group C
Qatar
Colombia
Portugal
CAF 4

Group D
Mexico
CAF 2
Uruguay
Serbia

Group E
CAF Champion
Brazil
Korea DPR
Hungary

Group F
Germany
Fiji
Uzbekistan
Honduras

The four CAF representatives will be determined at the upcoming African U-20 Championship 2015, which will take place in Senegal between 8 and 22 March.

http://www.fifa.com/u20worldcup/news/y=2015/m=2/news=draw-sets-stage-for-new-zealand-2015-2522220.html
[/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 8:49am On Feb 18, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Flying Eagles leave out Chidera Ezeh[/size]

FC Porto forward Chidera Ezeh has been ruled out of the Flying Eagles second match against the Black Satellites of Ghana on Wednesday after he suffered a mild concussion in the first match.

Ezeh scored in a 2-2 draw with the Black Satellites on Monday at the Accra Sports Stadium, but he had to be replaced soon after when he was involved in a head clash and suffered a mild concussion.

He was replaced for the second half by Wikki Tourists striker Usman Hassan.

“Chidera Ezeh is okay now but he will not be involved in the second game against Ghana after he suffered a mild concussion as a precautionary measure,” said Flying Eagles team doctor Ozi Salami.

Defender Zaharadeen Bello will also be rested to ensure he does not further hurt his leg injury.

The Flying Eagles second warm-up against their Ghanaian counterparts will be played in Tema, on the outskirts of Accra, by 3pm local time, which is 4pm Nigerian time.

The match will be played on astro turf.

Both the Flying Eagles and Black Satellites are preparing for next month’s African Youth Championship in Senegal.

The Flying Eagles are in Group A, while Ghana, world champions in 2009 and third at the 2013 FIFA U20 World Cup in Turkey, are in Group B.

[/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by tbaba1234: 1:01pm On Feb 18, 2015
If Nigeria wins, the group is decent. Brazil should be the ones afraid.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 1:07pm On Feb 18, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Success Returns To La Liga[/size]

As predicted by SL10.ng Flying Eagles striker Isaac Success was in good form for the B team of La-Liga side Granada, campaigning in the third division of Spanish football league, which has earned him a recall to the main team ahead of the trip to Levante this week.

Smarting from scoring 5 goals in five games for the B team, the 19 year old Nigerian was among three new faces that had a work out with the main team yesterday, including returning Eddy and Rueben Rochina who are working their way back into full match fitness.

Success scored just once for Granada in the La-Liga from the 15 games he played with the first team but his last competitive action for the team was on the 18th of January where he came in as a substitute for Robert Ibanez in the 78 minutes.

He hopes to be picked for the first time by new manager Abel Resino, who replaced Joaquin Caparros in January as Granada aim to pick up three points against fellow relegation battlers Levante, who are expected to parade Uche Kalu. [/b]

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by tbaba1234: 1:35pm On Feb 18, 2015
Success seems to play with the hand brake in LA liga. Hopefully, the goals in the lower division has boosted his confidence.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joxxy01(m): 5:07pm On Feb 18, 2015
joseph1013:
[b][size=14pt]Flying Eagles leave out Chidera Ezeh[/size]

FC Porto forward Chidera Ezeh has been ruled out of the Flying Eagles second match against the Black Satellites of Ghana on Wednesday after he suffered a mild concussion in the first match.

Ezeh scored in a 2-2 draw with the Black Satellites on Monday at the Accra Sports Stadium, but he had to be replaced soon after when he was involved in a head clash and suffered a mild concussion.

He was replaced for the second half by Wikki Tourists striker Usman Hassan.

“Chidera Ezeh is okay now but he will not be involved in the second game against Ghana after he suffered a mild concussion as a precautionary measure,” said Flying Eagles team doctor Ozi Salami.

Defender Zaharadeen Bello will also be rested to ensure he does not further hurt his leg injury.

The Flying Eagles second warm-up against their Ghanaian counterparts will be played in Tema, on the outskirts of Accra, by 3pm local time, which is 4pm Nigerian time.

The match will be played on astro turf.

Both the Flying Eagles and Black Satellites are preparing for next month’s African Youth Championship in Senegal.

The Flying Eagles are in Group A, while Ghana, world champions in 2009 and third at the 2013 FIFA U20 World Cup in Turkey, are in Group B.

[/b]
is flying eagles playin ghana today?
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by tbaba1234: 6:40pm On Feb 18, 2015
joxxy01:
is flying eagles playin ghana today?

Nigeria won 2:0

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 9:37pm On Feb 18, 2015
[b]Flying Eagles Sees Off Ghana

The Flying Eagles of Nigeria continued their fine form as they prepare for the Africa Youth Championship (AYC) coming up next month in Senegal.

After playing a 2-2 draw with their Ghanian counterpart on Monday, the Flying Eagles showed class as they ease past the Ghana U20 0-2 in a second friendly played today.

Like it was in the first match, Wednesday’s match was one of two halves – the Ghana Black Satellites dominated the first half and the Flying Eagles bossed the second half to make the most of their chances and win the game.

“We had a much better second half after our pep talk at half time. It was also a better performance for my team than what we showed in the first match,” praised Flying Eagles coach Manu Garba.

“Ghana too are a very good team and I tip them to go past Group B at the AYC.”

Ghana coach Silas Tetteh said the Flying Eagles are a very good team who gave his team a very good test.

“They are a compact team who showed very good understanding meaning they have been playing together for some time now. It was good to play against such a team,” he said.

“But despite the fact that we lost, we also gave a good account of ourselves as we finalise our preparations for the championship."

Skipper Musa Muhammed put away a penalty in the 70th minute after a Ghana defender handled the ball inside his box.

Substitute Ifeanyi Matthew doubled the Flying Eagles lead in stoppage time, when he finished off a flowing attack with a powerful shot from the top of the box.

First-half sub Bernard Bulwa ought to have given Nigeria the lead after 65 minutes when he beat the offside trap by Ghana and came face-to-face with goalkeeper Muntawakilu Seidu, who blocked the winger’s shot at point-blank range.

Bulbwa also threw away another clear-cut chance in stoppage time after Wasiu Jimoh’s long ball found Taiwo Awoniyi, who set up the dribbling winger.

Nigeria’s other big opening was in the 67th minute, when Ifeanyi Ifeanyi’s shot from inside the box came off the post.

However, the first half belonged to Ghana, who made wholesale changes to the squad who played the first game on Monday as coach Tetteh said he wanted to see as many players as possible before the team fly out on a training tour of Turkey on Friday.

The sustained pressure on the Flying Eagles was underlined by the fact that they recorded four bookings in the first half – Usman Hassan 29th minute, Musa Yahaya 31st minute, Abdulganiyu Saed 33rd minute and Izu Omego 45th minute.

Flying Eagles XI v Ghana:
Olorunleke Ojo – Musa Muhammed, Samuel Okon, Izu Omego, Abdulganiyu Saed – Ifeanyi Ifeanyi, Akinjide Idowu (Wasiu Jimoh 82), Obinna Nwobodo, Musa Yahaya (Ifeanyi Matthew 51) -Taiwo Awoniyi, Usman Hassan (Bernard Bulbwa 39) (Alhassan Ibrahim 90)
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Nobody: 10:06pm On Feb 18, 2015
Well done Manu Garba but I wished they never played this match. Flying Eagles is the best team in the country now and they are good and ready to take off. I pray they stay injury free. Victories against Pillars,Enyimba, nearly beat Siasias under23 and now win against dreaded Ghana under20 in their own backyard.

Well done Manu n crew.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 12:25pm On Feb 19, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Flying Eagles Boss Says Team Needs A Lot Of Work Before AYC[/size]

Flying Eagles coach, Manu Garba has astonishingly declared that his team isn’t ready for the forthcoming Africa Youth Championship, following the friendly games against the Black Satellites of Ghana.

The Nigerian U20’s drew the first of the games 2-2, before beating them in the second friendly 2-0, but Manu has been left unsatisfied by their performances, and has declared that they still have a lot to do before the competition.

“We are not ready for the Africa Youth Championship,” he told sl10.ng. “There’s still a lot of work to be done.”

“The friendlies against Ghana have really opened our eyes to some of the things we need to do and we must work on them before the Africa Youth Championship.”

The former Golden Eaglets coach has also posited that they will have to play a few more friendly games so as to correct the lapses noticed.

“We must play some more friendly matches before the start of the competition,” he said.

“We create a lot of chances but we must work on converting those chances as much as possible.

“Then we must also work on the concentration of our defenders because the competition in Senegal will be tough. But at the moment, we are not ready for the AYC.”[/b]

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 4:06pm On Feb 19, 2015
Manu Garba, the task master. I love this guy.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:26pm On Feb 19, 2015
joseph1013:
joseph1013 First time commenter i got hooked on nairaland cuz of ur posts anyhow do u see the nff giving Garba a chance with the eagles maybe after the youth world cup?

2 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joxxy01(m): 7:28pm On Feb 19, 2015
joseph1013:
he knows his job and am not suprised...he is practically the best coach we have presently in the country.

2 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 8:21pm On Feb 19, 2015
BascoVanVeli:

joseph1013 First time commenter i got hooked on nairaland cuz of ur posts anyhow do u see the nff giving Garba a chance with the eagles maybe after the youth world cup?
Not as easy. There is alot of politics in the Super Eagles' Head Coach Job.

I think that more importantly, his results should make way for him. I believe so much in him.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by tbaba1234: 8:30pm On Feb 19, 2015
If Nigeria wins the U20 world cup then Garba has to be promoted to the super eagles.

Also, most of his boys should be promoted to the eagles. Ghana took a risk with their U20 boys and it has paid some dividend. Let Manu Garba boys play the next Afcon if we qualify.

2 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:11pm On Feb 19, 2015
tbaba1234:
If Nigeria wins the U20 world cup then Garba has to be promoted to the super eagles.

Also, most of his boys should be promoted to the eagles. Ghana took a risk with their U20 boys and it has paid some dividend. Let Manu Garba boys play the next Afcon if we qualify.
I'm with it Nigeria needs to believe in somebody for a change and with this set I see big things.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 1:51pm On Feb 20, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Interview With Nduka Ugbade[/size]

Following their friendlies against the Black Satellites of Ghana and as they continue their preparations toward the Africa Youth championship in Senegal, sl10.ng caught up with former Nigeria international and assistant coach of the Flying Eagles, Nduka Ugbade. In this exclusive interview, he speaks on how far they’ve come as a team, the secrets of impressive displays, expectations for the AYC, and so much more. Enjoy.

Sl10: Coach, a pleasure to have you again. Can we start by you relieving the friendly matches against Ghana’s Black Satellites with us?

Ugbade: Yes thank you. I would say they were very interesting games in the sense that they really opened our eyes to some of the flaws in the team. They also gave us some competition and a glimpse of what to expect in Senegal. Now we know better and thankfully, there’s still a short time before the competition and this time will be dedicated to correcting those lapses.

Sl10: Nigeria was obviously the better team based on the scoreline, but would you say you were also better technically?

Ugbade: I would say yes. Don’t get me wrong, the Ghanaians were also good and strong, but we played with the science of the game. We understood the science of the game and its technicalities and it showed. There were some lapses on our part of course, but we were technically superior but they were good too.

Sl10: The question on the lips of so many Nigerians is how you and Manu Garba have been able to assemble this bunch of talented players and got them playing so well?

Ugbade: We have been able to apply the science of the game and the players have been adapting to it which is good. We have been able to train their minds that most times they think three steps ahead even before the ball gets to them. We have the applied the scientific approach, to understand the right moves to make on and off the ball and also going into position. Remember that most of these boys were from the last U17, and we worked very hard from that time to scout these players. We scoured the nooks and crannies of this country to search for these players.

Sl10: What would you say are the differences there are in playing at the U17 and U20 levels?

Ugbade: A lot, and we knew this from the beginning. At the U17 level, the players are still kids, cadets, greenhorns and so on. There are a lot technical mistakes made by the players which is normal because at that point, they are still growing and learning the science of the game. It is totally different at the U20 level because it is semi-professional or even professional. The training is different, the approach is different. The awareness of the player is better at this point and you expect him to make fewer technical mistakes. The training now is more of technique and psychology because you are approaching the apex of the game. The competition is also tougher because you come up against some professional players.

Sl10: This Flying Eagles team is hugely loved and respected by Nigerians, courtesy of what you and Manu Garba have done of course. And win the FIFA U20 World Cup, this team will rival the USA ’94 World Cup team as the most loved national team ever. Do you feel proud sometimes?

Ugbade: (Smiles) Well I don’t know about us rivaling the USA ’94 team, but of course I’m proud. But we know we still have a lot to do and like you rightly said, we have to win something first to be fully recognized. If we win the FIFA U20 World Cup, it would be great because it would be the first time Nigeria will be winning the competition, so it would be a great achievement. We’re looking forward to it honestly.

Sl10: But before then, you must do well at the Africa Youth Championship, isn’t it?

Ugbade: We are very mindful of that and that is the immediate target. We don’t just want to do well; we want to win the championship. But winning the world Cup in New Zealand is the ultimate target and hopefully we shall get there.

Sl10: Thank you very much coach, it has been a wonderful interview

Ugbade: Thank you very much. Anytime.[/b]

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (232) (Reply)

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.