Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,157 members, 7,818,509 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:36 PM

Nigerian Man Declared Insane For being an Atheist - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nigerian Man Declared Insane For being an Atheist (521 Views)

Photos: Nigerian Man Spotted Praying On His Knees In An Airplane / How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Declared Insane For being an Atheist by Nobody: 12:34am On Jun 28, 2014
A Nigerian man was committed to a mental hospital after declaring himself an atheist, according to the International Humanist and Ethical Union. Using what he says are smartphones obtained from others at the hospital, Mubarak Bala, 29, has apparently been tweeting and secretly emailing activists for help since he was committed to the Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital on June 13. Bala has tweeted — using the name "ExMuslim" — that his devoutly Muslim family had him "declared insane" and put in what he refers to as a "psycho ward" because of his atheist beliefs.

The hospital said in a statement that Bala required supervised treatment and was "comfortable and conscious," the BBC reports. A Change.org petition calling for Bala's release currently has more than 4,000 signatures.

Source- http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/nigerian-man-says-he-was-declared-insane-being-atheist-n142706

Re: Nigerian Man Declared Insane For being an Atheist by highmey(m): 1:49am On Jun 28, 2014
So sad... The truth is, if u declare yourself as an Atheist in Africa (Nigeria), u should be ready for war! My friends younger brother said to me "He respected me cos of his brother", else he might av fought me cos I declared myself as an Atheist. It's just unsafe here in Naija to show ur skepticism about religion or god/diety.
It's better to remain mute and watch. embarassed

(1) (Reply)

Prayer Against Danger. / Bill To Regulate Religious Preachings sparks Uproar In Niger / C'mon Guys Lets Do This......

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.