Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,843 members, 7,820,934 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:59 AM

Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work - Agriculture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work (48606 Views)

The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) / Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? / PICTURE..Free Range Snail Farming Style In Lagos Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by Neduzze5(m): 8:10am On Feb 12, 2016
JustOzito:

but I pick snail from there during d wet season

What I'm more concerned about is the smoke that may affect them. It may not happen all at once, but in the long run, you would see the effect.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by JustOzito(f): 11:02am On Feb 12, 2016
Neduzze5:

What I'm more concerned about is the smoke that may affect them. It may not happen all at once, but in the long run, you would see the effect.
OK.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by pragmatistm(m): 8:46pm On Apr 07, 2016
@ all, I received some email asking me about how to guide against soldier ants on a snail farm. Here is my guide for you.

Get large quantity of used engine oil mixed with diesel fuel. Dig a small trench about 12 inch deep 12 inches wide round the whole enclosure you use as farm. It must be away from your perimeter for about 2 feet (24 inches, or 60 cm). Pour the used engine oil mixed with diesel in the trench in good quantity round the farm perimeter. the oil must be enough not to dry up in the trench at any time. So you can do the pouring from time to time. When soldier ants approach, and they perceive the odour of the oil they will go back/away quickly.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by tvcatch15(m): 11:53pm On Apr 07, 2016
pragmatistm:
Now that Nairaland is back,let's use the opportunity to help one another.Lets post related information on snail farming here.I am not a guru here but will post the little I know. Let those that know support this thread.

SOME REQUIREMENTS BEFORE STARTING:
The farmer will need the following to start a snail farm – (The modified out-door system).
*Enough edible live snails.
*A good site near his house with the right kind of soil and the right amount of water for the snails to live and grow.
*Enough food and shelter plants
*The materials to build a pen for the snails.

SNAILS FARMING SYSTEMS:
There are two main systems of snail farming. These are: Indoor and Outdoor systems.
Indoor System: This system involves raising snails indoors in pens located in a building. The snails are fed a mixture of fresh vegetables, concentrates, and other food materials. The system utilizes little space as the snails could be raised even in trays placed on shelves on the walls. In advanced management, the system allows for temperature regulation, controlled lighting, regular cleaning, and health care.
Out-door System: In this system, snails are raised out- doors on pastures. The snails may or may not be fed. The farmer has little control over the performance of the snails. The snails move about feeding on natural food materials.
A modification of the out-door system is one in which the snails are confined out-doors in enclosures and fed both synthetic and natural diets. It is easier to control and manipulate snails in this setting. This system fits in very well into the Nigerian farming system.

pls where can one get a rearing snail for sale
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by pragmatistm(m): 5:54am On Apr 08, 2016
tvcatch15:

pls where can one get a rearing snail for sale
Contact guys such as lordhugo in this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/2659715/a-z-snail-farming-nigeria-what/1
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by tvcatch15(m): 3:22pm On Apr 08, 2016
binbass:
I have snail farm with over 300 snails which I started about six weeks ago with 150 lay eggs and they've already starting hatching one after the other, but plan to expand it in the future.

Pls where can I get breeding snail from n wat d price.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by tvcatch15(m): 4:50pm On Apr 08, 2016
JJKADRY:
Well done. i need to share my farm with you as well. meanwhile, i just gained one insight from here too as i promise to stay close here...check my snail farm

Hello, pls where can I get breeding snail from n wat d price. Tnx
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by marissanutri(f): 2:00pm On Jun 18, 2016
Hi,
Interested snails buyers, cheap large snails for sale.. individuals, breeders, resellers, hotels, resturants. call / sms me on 08073246507.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by Georgville(m): 2:47pm On Aug 02, 2016
djdoxxx:
@pragmatism And Neduzze5, Snails Go Into Hibernation At A Particular Time Of The Year, It Is Normal, And It Is Called Drought..There Is A Kind Of Practise One Imploys When They Are On Hibernation That Keeps Them Alive Till They Come Out Of It...

Please what practices can one employ to keep them alive when they hibernate/aestivate till they come out of it?
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by pragmatistm(m): 2:48am On Aug 31, 2016
Are you aware that calcium is very important in the feed you give your snails? So where can you get calcium? You can get from your local feeds shop. But I will describe a very cheap source of calcium for your snails that I have used.

I use pieces of blocks and sand mixed with rubbles obtained from a construction site as my source of calcium. I have noticed that snails always come to construction sites near a bush and any cement building blocks assembled near a bush. I did a quick search online for cement composition and discovered that it is high in calcium. Since then I have been putting the cement mixed with sand obtained from the construction site in my small snail pen and I found out the snails always feed on it. Also you can give the snails pawpaw leaves. it's another good source of calcium.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by princelynx: 6:51pm On Sep 02, 2016
If you're interested in joining the telegram group meant for discussing issues relating to Turkey breeding and marketing. Feel free to send a telegram message to 08055678830, to be added or you use this link https:///joinchat/DPhZakGCpQ3BVan6C9623g. You will be glad u did. If you don't have telegram, go to google play store and download it . Thanks.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by heezey(m): 6:21am On Oct 01, 2016
Are you interested in Snail farming?
Click here to discover the success secret of snail farmers that no one talks about: Snail farming In Nigeria: Exposing the hidden secrets
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by kankaroo: 1:04pm On Jan 13, 2017
I am still in the process of setting up my SNAIL farm, just yesterday i discovered that ants (red rugged ants that is smaller than Soldier ant has surged from the ground. They are enjoying carrots and cocoyam peals i deposited in the farm. How do i treat this farm before i introduce the snails? Should i apply insecticide inside the soil of the farm because they are coming from the soil/ground
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by midastouch: 4:25pm On Feb 07, 2017
kankaroo:
I am still in the process of setting up my SNAIL farm, just yesterday i discovered that ants (red rugged ants that is smaller than Soldier ant has surged from the ground. They are enjoying carrots and cocoyam peals i deposited in the farm. How do i treat this farm before i introduce the snails? Should i apply insecticide inside the soil of the farm because they are coming from the soil/ground

The only way to control pests is to control the environment. If you are doing free range, think of maybe digging down to about 40cm round your pen area and doing a small cement flooring of the substrate to about 3cm thickness. then plaster the walls of the hole to about 3cm thickness. Treat the soil that you want to put inside and make sure it is free of ants thoroughly. Put aluminium long span sheet to about 50cm depth (from the surface) around the pen to fit your cement flooring. then pour the treated soil back into your pen. At least now you can say with some level of confidence that ants will find it difficult to enter your pen enclosure.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by bobrich: 8:37pm On Apr 26, 2017
i compounded my snail feed and i do not know if to give them in powdery form or watery form
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by pragmatistm(m): 3:11am On Apr 28, 2017
bobrich:
i compounded my snail feed and i do not know if to give them in powdery form or watery form
What are you talking about?

1 Like

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by petitmonde(m): 9:44am On May 12, 2017
phollar:
This was my milled feed composition: Maize.. 60kg soya.. 30kg Fish (72%).. 3kg Bonemeal.. 5kg Oystershell.. 5kg Methionnie.. 0.3kg Lysine.. 0.3kg Premix (broiler).. 0.4kg
Please ensure no SALT!!!
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by petitmonde(m): 11:17am On May 12, 2017
lordhugo:

What type of housing? Free range?

For free range on a large scale (pasture method), all you need is an electric snail tape (it depends on your financial power mainly) . But with it, not one small newly hatched will escape the "openess" of the pasture method.

Might post up pictures of a few examples later if time permits.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by petitmonde(m): 11:19am On May 12, 2017
lordhugo:

In that case, what you need is an 'Australian styled pasture system' (forget the oyibo). Its relatively cheap to construct for a parcel of land.

You will need steel bars and angle bars (most construction i see online make use of steel pipes...not advisable because total sealing of minute spaces wont be possible) .
A specified number of aluminum sheets for external barrier, nets, imported seeds (seeds are far better than transplanting seedlings) for forage and shelter plants. You could budget less than a million excluding land for half a plot of land. Forget about '6 months', in 18 months you will be diving into money.

For a piece of land measuring 50X100 ft., you could have 30beds for ,
180 Giant breeders
6000 mediums in holding/maturing beds.
4200 newly hatched /juveniles.

There is a plan akin to crop rotation. I call it snail rotation. Lol.

Lets discuss further on whatsapp. I am always on the move. 08030964896
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by petitmonde(m): 11:21am On May 12, 2017
lordhugo:

Skipped my mind.
Though, you need to first do a feasibility study .

What type of soil is the land composed of? Loamy?
Can you notice any snails in the area on a wet evening?
Are there shade plants such as banana or pawpaw in the land?
Any windbreaks (buildings, larger trees , fencing) ?

I am sure you get the drift now. It would be hard to raise "free range " snails in a site that is unfavorable.

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by petitmonde(m): 11:31am On May 12, 2017
pragmatistm:
@ all, I received some email asking me about how to guide against soldier ants on a snail farm. Here is my guide for you.

Get large quantity of used engine oil mixed with diesel fuel. Dig a small trench about 12 inch deep 12 inches wide round the whole enclosure you use as farm. It must be away from your perimeter for about 2 feet (24 inches, or 60 cm). Pour the used engine oil mixed with diesel in the trench in good quantity round the farm perimeter. the oil must be enough not to dry up in the trench at any time. So you can do the pouring from time to time. When soldier ants approach, and they perceive the odour of the oil they will go back/away quickly.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by Oluwalogbon(m): 9:52pm On Jun 09, 2017
Please how to hatch snail eggs manually?
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by onuwaje(m): 1:14pm On Jun 13, 2017
i have these in my backyard

what species re these?
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by pragmatistm(m): 9:37pm On Jun 15, 2017
Oluwalogbon:
Please how to hatch snail eggs manually?
They hatch themselves. Just leave them in the soil where they are laid.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by pragmatistm(m): 9:38pm On Jun 15, 2017
onuwaje:
i have these in my backyard

what species re these?
You didn't attach any pictures.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by onuwaje(m): 9:58pm On Jun 15, 2017
pragmatistm:
You didn't attach any pictures.

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by Oluwalogbon(m): 10:10pm On Jun 15, 2017
pragmatistm:

Thanks you sir
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by Oluwalogbon(m): 6:16am On Jun 26, 2017
pragmatistm:

It will take to how many month to start lay eggs?
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by pragmatistm(m): 1:18pm On Jun 26, 2017
Oluwalogbon:

It will take to how many month to start lay eggs?
I can't say exactly. But I know different species lay eggs at different stages. Achatina maginata species lay fewer and bigger eggs than achatina achatina.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by Oluwalogbon(m): 1:21pm On Jun 26, 2017
pragmatistm:
I can't say exactly. But I know different species lay eggs at different stages. Achatina maginata species lay fewer and bigger eggs than achatina achatina.

Thanks
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by pragmatistm(m): 1:21pm On Jun 26, 2017
[quote author=onuwaje post=57556248]Achatina achatina

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Just Your Interest, Not About Ur Money,join Our Agriculture Team Now! / Photos Of A Pig Humping A Goat In Enugu / See The Animal I Killed On A Camping Trip

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.