Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,607 members, 7,827,291 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:09 AM

Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work (48653 Views)

The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) / Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? / PICTURE..Free Range Snail Farming Style In Lagos Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by pragmatistm(m): 3:21am On Jun 28, 2014
Now that Nairaland is back,let's use the opportunity to help one another.Lets post related information on snail farming here.I am not a guru here but will post the little I know. Let those that know support this thread.

SOME REQUIREMENTS BEFORE STARTING:
The farmer will need the following to start a snail farm – (The modified out-door system).
*Enough edible live snails.
*A good site near his house with the right kind of soil and the right amount of water for the snails to live and grow.
*Enough food and shelter plants
*The materials to build a pen for the snails.

SNAILS FARMING SYSTEMS:
There are two main systems of snail farming. These are: Indoor and Outdoor systems.
Indoor System: This system involves raising snails indoors in pens located in a building. The snails are fed a mixture of fresh vegetables, concentrates, and other food materials. The system utilizes little space as the snails could be raised even in trays placed on shelves on the walls. In advanced management, the system allows for temperature regulation, controlled lighting, regular cleaning, and health care.
Out-door System: In this system, snails are raised out- doors on pastures. The snails may or may not be fed. The farmer has little control over the performance of the snails. The snails move about feeding on natural food materials.
A modification of the out-door system is one in which the snails are confined out-doors in enclosures and fed both synthetic and natural diets. It is easier to control and manipulate snails in this setting. This system fits in very well into the Nigerian farming system.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by shazy(f): 4:47am On Jun 29, 2014
Hmm,I like this.please keep it up.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by eherbal(m): 9:59pm On Jun 29, 2014
Waiting.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by pragmatistm(m): 11:54pm On Jun 29, 2014
Are you people aware that snails love where there is lots of moisture (i.e. water) and can eat almost any dried or green leaf, straw or plant?

That is a piece of information that makes snail easy to rear and less expensive to feed than other animals.

Alert! Alert!! Alert!!!
People need to also recognize the diseases that humans can get from snails....The most nightmarish nervous system infections are carried by snails and spread by rats as well...Where there are people and food, rats will be there, the snails eat rat feces also and rats sometimes eat snails or the same vegetables and pellets the snails eat and slime on....They share diseases this way.....Snails cellular structure is most similar to mammal nervous cell structure, and so it is when humans get infected by snail diseases, the disease thrives in the nervous cells and does damage there..
Its good to be careful...I know of a lady in my area who ate vegetables that had very small infected snails and she was damaged in her nervous system so badly and eventually entered her brain and she went into a coma....Another man recovered but has permanent nerve damage causing him to shake and have terrible balance and coordination of his movements...
African snails are known to be viable carriers of Rat lung worm, rats carry that micro worm as well and they spread it among each other by snails eating rat feces and rats eating snails or snail slimed vegetables or vegetation with snail feces.....
proper washing and cooking is certain prevention, wash hands after handling snails, so as not to ingest any particles from the snails body or feces....Keep rats away from the snails and that will isolate the snails from contagions....Exotic and terrible diseases happen among fresh water Mollusks. A Sea mollusk has the most exotic venom, the cone shell mollusks venom....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by midastouch: 9:36am On Jun 30, 2014
Hello Friends, I sincerely hope that this thread will not degenerate into the selling of manuals, e-books, and fictitious consultancy services! As a precaution, any so-called expert MUST post CURRENT (Not 4 year old pics o) photos of his farming operations in the different phases of hatching, grow-out, fattening, and sales. No scams please! If you copy pictures from the internet, I will out and shame you.

12 Likes

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by samshoz(m): 12:47pm On Jun 30, 2014
Mod, can u tell us about used car tire housing type? I know snails like pineapple for sure, i even picked many underneath it recently. But one of my mentors(excelsior) in his book mentioned other things snails feed on i.e tomatoes, pawpaw and cocoa yam leaves etc.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by pragmatistm(m): 7:42pm On Jun 30, 2014
Ok. Are you aware Snail farming can be done as a three-in-one project that involves production of snails,vegetables and various kinds of fruits
snails eat.
More so, you can make money from
these three segments of the project.
Anybody can manage including women
and children, as snails are odourless,
harmless and very easy to manage. Snails
have economic value; it is very close to
cash. You will not regret it if you have
the right knowledge. The income is
multifarious, as you make money from
the snail Commercial snail farming generates
employment opportunities for youth,
women, retirees and part-time jobs for
even the employed. For the nation, it
provides a ready avenue to reduce
poverty, creates jobs and generates
foreign exchange.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by wealthinfos(m): 11:45pm On Jul 02, 2014
Over the years of trading in Heliculture, one key problem faced by new snail farmers is Snail Mortality rate (death rate). Inability to eliminate this threat could amount to massive deaths & lose of foundation livestocks in the snail pen, thereby leading to huge lose in capital invested. From our experience in the area, the solution to this problem is ensuring Zero Access of 'Snail Enemies' into the Pen. Secondly eliminating heat preasure from the farm environment, by making thier new habitat (pen) almost 'natural' & comfortable as though they're in thier original home in the forest.

My Advise: The unemployed and employed youths, men, woman, students should take agro farming seriouslly, as the income in the industry is yet untapped. Better still its a part time business right from your backyard.

Hope this helps?

For a One-on-one or group Training, workshop/seminers visit:

Legit Wealth Farms (Live Snail Farm)
#15 Ebony-Orazi Rd.
Port Harcourt, Nigeria.
07063249904; 08188573805
www.snailfarmingng..com

------------------------------------------
Pls stop this evil against our women!: #BringBackOurGirls. Why women?

1 Like

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by lillya(f): 6:19am On Jul 03, 2014
How many months does it take a newly hatched snail to grow 2 table size?

2 Likes

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by lillya(f): 6:20am On Jul 03, 2014
How many months does it take a newly hatched snail to grow 2 table size?
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by Empressgifted(f): 10:19pm On Jul 03, 2014
I'm really interested in heliculture, i've tried it once on a very small scale and it was fun
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by samuelkaykay(m): 10:28pm On Jul 03, 2014
I stocked about 200 young snails,after 2months i counted about 500 tiny and newly hatched snails.
Their best meal is pawpaw leaves and water melon.
It's fun!

9 Likes

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by raziboi(m): 5:59am On Jul 04, 2014
wow,.....,...wnt b unemployed in d future .....
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by phiszo(m): 6:03am On Jul 04, 2014
cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by Nobody: 6:07am On Jul 04, 2014
samuelkaykay: I stocked about 200 young snails,after 2months i counted about 500 tiny and newly hatched snails.
Their best meal is pawpaw leaves and water melon.
It's fun!

Wow nice one.

Also you can look for an open land where the owner is yet to build to start off the biz. Some land owners give free while some you pay as little as 1k to use the parcel of land for a yr.

Nigerian youth, be wise.

4 Likes

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by 19naia(m): 6:11am On Jul 04, 2014
People need to also recognize the diseases that humans can get from snails....The most nightmarish nervous system infections are carried by snails and spread by rats as well...Where there are people and food, rats will be there, the snails eat rat feces also and rats sometimes eat snails or the same vegetables and pellets the snails eat and slime on....They share diseases this way.....Snails cellular structure is most similar to mammal nervous cell structure, and so it is when humans get infected by snail diseases, the disease thrives in the nervous cells and does damage there..
Its good to be careful...I know of a lady in my area who ate vegetables that had very small infected snails and she was damaged in her nervous system so badly and eventually entered her brain and she went into a coma....Another man recovered but has permanent nerve damage causing him to shake and have terrible balance and coordination of his movements...

African snails are known to be viable carriers of Rat lung worm, rats carry that micro worm as well and they spread it among each other by snails eating rat feces and rats eating snails or snail slimed vegetables or vegetation with snail feces.....

proper washing and cooking is certain prevention, wash hands after handling snails, so as not to ingest any particles from the snails body or feces....Keep rats away from the snails and that will isolate the snails from contagions....Exotic and terrible diseases happen among fresh water Mollusks. A Sea mollusk has the most exotic venom, the cone shell mollusks venom....

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by DesChyko: 6:12am On Jul 04, 2014
#Sochima tinz.. Hehehe

1 Like

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by lyntiffany(f): 6:25am On Jul 04, 2014
@ op you din't mention the enemies that can invade or attack snails. we have economic pests that can attack your heliculture farm .They are : insects, rodents , lizards and so many others which I can't mention here.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by lyntiffany(f): 6:30am On Jul 04, 2014
@ op you din't mention the enemies that can invade or attack snails. we have economic pests that can attack your heliculture farm .They are : insects, rodents , lizards e.t.c. So when setting up the farm just bear it in mind that pest attack is one of those factors that can affect your heliculture farm.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by samuelkaykay(m): 6:31am On Jul 04, 2014
Chillisauce:

Wow nice one.

Also you can look for an open land where the owner is yet to build to start off the biz. Some land owners give free while some you pay as little as 1k to use the parcel of land for a yr.

Nigerian youth, be wise.
i have a space in my fish pond site about 4m sq.i constructed it with block and wire guaze.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by Les: 6:38am On Jul 04, 2014
please o, why is it that i cant stand the sight of snails?? i have a great phobia for snails since my childhood, it ms too bad that i had to exit this thread because of those snail pictures? how do i overcome this great phobia??

1 Like

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by Afrocatalyst: 6:55am On Jul 04, 2014
Good we're here!
We're getting close.

#muchsnailmeatforNigerians
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by Afrocatalyst: 6:59am On Jul 04, 2014
lillya: How many months does it take a newly hatched snail to grow 2 table size?
18months.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by Afrocatalyst: 7:02am On Jul 04, 2014
midastouch: Hello Friends, I sincerely hope that this thread will not degenerate into the selling of manuals, e-books, and fictitious consultancy services! As a precaution, any so-called expert MUST post CURRENT (Not 4 year old pics o) photos of his farming operations in the different phases of hatching, grow-out, fattening, and sales. No scams please! If you copy pictures from the internet, I will out and shame you.
So true! So many theoretical farmers around.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by Kirinwa: 7:03am On Jul 04, 2014
I have a special breed of snail called Michelis Obilis.If interested pm me for further negotiations.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by ozodimgba(m): 7:10am On Jul 04, 2014
a very nice thread I must say, I've dreamt of having a snail farm as a part-time job however, I don't know where to get young & a good species of snail to start with. I will appreciate if anyone with the right knowledge to share it here. many thanks to the OP.

1 Like

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by galantfm: 8:11am On Jul 04, 2014
Dis is a Gud thread,I tink I'll also love 2 av somtin 2 do wit heliculture, bt I won't mind if som1 can put me 2ru it very well
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by pragmatistm(m): 8:20am On Jul 04, 2014
I say a big thank you to the moderators for giving us homepage honour. Thank all of you that also contributed to the thread. Let's help one another on how to make farming a reality especially for young ones.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by pragmatistm(m): 8:23am On Jul 04, 2014
Kirinwa: I have a special breed of snail called Michelis Obilis.If interested pm me for further negotiations.
Supply your email address. Not everyone uses bb.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by Nobody: 8:32am On Jul 04, 2014
Mikel can do dis very wel they birds of same feathers he go even dey talk to snail e go obey then yobo go dey feed am
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by pragmatistm(m): 8:36am On Jul 04, 2014
Now that a poster has mentioned the issue about snail enemies, let us learn what are the enemies and how to keep them off.

One enemy I know is the soldier ants. They are terrible. one way to ward them off is by digging a small trench round the snail house and put used car oil and diesel fuel in it.

*** Please add your own.

1 Like

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by woodboi(m): 8:39am On Jul 04, 2014
pragmatist_m:
Supply your email address. Not everyone uses bb.

I was here....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Just Your Interest, Not About Ur Money,join Our Agriculture Team Now! / Photos Of A Pig Humping A Goat In Enugu / See The Animal I Killed On A Camping Trip

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.