Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,120 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:31 AM

Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). (102384 Views)

Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails / How Many Rabbits Do You See? / get Rabbits and guinea pigs healthy ones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by zicoraads: 9:56am On Aug 01, 2014
225E68CA...add me!
MzMariah: Oya add me.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by olumzzz(m): 10:06am On Aug 01, 2014
ONE WORD........
#EBOLA............
Rabbit meat kor Bunny meat ni
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by Sanchez01: 10:15am On Aug 01, 2014
I had rabbits as pets in the past and based on research and observation, I have come to discover that rabbits are social animals; it is recommended that in constructing rabbitries or a rabbitry, one must make adequate provision for spaces/space within the cage. I'm about constructing a rabbitry and I hope to upload pictures shortly.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by Billygee2u: 10:20am On Aug 01, 2014
samshoz: My wood cage floor is metal, like that of poultry, for the poops to fall on ground. I put a bulb for light atimes at night. Hope its ok? Am a starter, i want to learn. Oga farmtech, u are on this thread too! From poultry to rabbitry........i wana be like u. Am regular on ur fb f/joint grp.
I think putting light bulbs are of no use.In my experience ,rain beating and much hot environment is not good for them.they like cool environment most .I kept my tabbits in a cage room which I made for them in my penthouse on top of 3 floor house ,but
latter discovered that they love a large place to run around and play.
I then removed the door ,they became more lively and friendly .during cold weather here their hairy body looks very good .I fed them with fresh vegetables everyday.I did not give them water and gives them feeds once in 2 months because I love their meat when it's natural . They can survive in any weather as long as you avoid rain beating them.Their meat is really nice to eat.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dasparrow: 10:20am On Aug 01, 2014
@Post

As I was reading through some of the comments, I realized that some Nairalanders are confused about what to feed their rabbits. I did some research online and found that you can feed your rabbits the following vegetables and grass (This is not an exhausted list by the way):

1. Carrots
2. Wheat grass
3. Celery
4. Cilantro
5. Green peppers
6. Basil
7. Peppermint leaves (It will leave your rabbits' breath/mouth smelling fresh and minty wink )

You should give your rabbit unlimited amount of hay which is a type of grass. Rabbits' teeth keep growing so they need to keep munching on grass to keep their ever growing teeth trimmed. In the states, you can purchase Hay online from farmers and it will be delivered to your doorstep. You can also visit farms and purchase hay in person. In Nigeria, I am not sure where you can get hay from. I will post some pictures of hay grass. Who knows, you may even find it growing in the farm, bush, roadside somewhere or even in your backyard. You should also give your rabbits pellets. I will post pictures of how pellets look like as well.

You can feed your rabbits some fruits but don't over do it because moderation is key. Be sure to remove any seeds to avoid the rabbit choking on it. Fruits that rabbits can eat include:

1. Orange
2. Melon
3. Pineapple
4. Papaya (what we Nigerians call pawpaw)
5. Apples
6. Strawberries

I will also post pictures of some of the vegetables I listed to give you all an idea of what is safe to feed your rabbits. So, let's start with some pictures of HAY grass. The pictures you see will show fresh hay grass, dry hay grass and hay grass growing on the field.

4 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by Santi222(m): 10:24am On Aug 01, 2014
Interested in breeding them... Hopefully starting soon.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dasparrow: 10:28am On Aug 01, 2014
So now, let me post some pictures of vegetables to feed your rabbits.

This is wheat grass. Wheat grass is not only good for your rabbits but also good for you believe it or not. Wheat grass comes with a lot of health benefits. Wheat grass could be planted at home in a planter or container or even at your backyard. Once the seeds germinate and grows into grass, you can harvest the grass and feed your rabbits with it.

Here are pictures of wheat grass, the seeds of wheat grass and how to harvest wheat grass.

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dasparrow: 10:32am On Aug 01, 2014
Next is:

1. Celery
2. Basil
3. Cilantro
4. Peppermint leaves

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dasparrow: 10:38am On Aug 01, 2014
Green peppers is good for your rabbits as well as pellets.

1. Green peppers
2. Pellets
3. Oxbow rabbit pellet (A very good brand though there are many other brands of pellets for rabbits).

1 Share

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dasparrow: 10:43am On Aug 01, 2014
Least I forget, Dandelions are good for your rabbits as well. Make sure they are free from pesticides which are harmful to your rabbits' health. See pictures of dandelions:

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dasparrow: 10:47am On Aug 01, 2014
Don't forget, rabbits love carrots and gnawing on carrots is good for their ever growing teeth.

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dasparrow: 10:51am On Aug 01, 2014
Make sure your rabbits have access to fresh drinking water at all times.

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dasparrow: 11:06am On Aug 01, 2014
Now, let's talk about housing rabbits. There are several ways to build a rabbit house. You have to decide what works for you and what is best for your rabbits. You should keep in mind the number of rabbits you plan to keep and whether these rabbits are for meat production or are going to be kept as pets. Those who keep rabbits as pets choose to keep them either outdoors or indoors. The same can be said for rabbits being reared for meat production. Let's take a look at some rabbit hutches/houses shall we?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dasparrow: 11:08am On Aug 01, 2014
For those that are looking to raise rabbits on a commercial scale for meat, here is a housing option for you:

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dasparrow: 11:19am On Aug 01, 2014
Those that have just one or two rabbits can opt for an indoor rabbit cage if you choose not to leave your rabbit outside.

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dasparrow: 11:24am On Aug 01, 2014
If you have money to spend on your pet rabbits' indoor cage, you can go for something like this cage and place it in your sitting room somewhere where even guests to your home will marvel:

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dasparrow: 11:39am On Aug 01, 2014
olumzzz: ONE WORD........
#EBOLA............
Rabbit meat kor Bunny meat ni

Fruit bats spread the Ebola virus. Here is what I read:

"Bats drop partially eaten fruits and pulp, then terrestrial mammals such as gorillas and duikers feed on these fallen fruits. This chain of events forms a possible indirect means of transmission from the natural host to animal populations, which have led to research towards viral shedding in the saliva of bats."

"Fruit bats are also eaten by people in parts of West Africa where they are smoked, grilled or made into a spicy soup. The virus then spreads person-to-person, especially within families, hospitals, and during some mortuary rituals where contact among individuals becomes more likely."

Anyways, you can read more here to educate yourself on the disease: http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by Revolva(m): 11:54am On Aug 01, 2014

Rabbit meat is lower in fat,cholesterol and calories than chicken, pork, and beef and therefore heart patient friendly

Rabbit meat is all white meat.

wowall i wanna dois eat the rabbit...oo wow rabbit na bigman meat oo..if ucan supply it to a 5 star hotel...mehn u don hammer....omo..hope say e no dey carry ebola
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by ElFenomeno1: 12:00pm On Aug 01, 2014
Kunlexic: Pls,what variety of rabbit is good to raise in Nigeria and where is the best place to raise it?...thanks

Rampant rabbits.

I dont know about best place to raise them but best place to place them is inside a female's handbag!

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by Olusanya333(m): 12:10pm On Aug 01, 2014
dasparrow:
I love rabbits
while people are loving humans my friend here is falling in love with Rabbit(bushmeat)
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by kennethology(m): 12:38pm On Aug 01, 2014
Rabbits! Hmmmmmmmm una never hear of EBOLa?
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dyoungforester(m): 1:36pm On Aug 01, 2014
Kudos to all my rabbit lovers;
now grasscutter vs rabbit which one is better to rear.To me apart from being a rabbit lover, rabbit rearing pays better than Grasscutter rearing. My reason
1st. Rabbit is easy to domesticate than a grasscutter in terms of facilities like building of cages requirements. Money for acquisition i.e purchasing for instance grasscutter is sold in colony or family which mean 4 female and 1 male but not matured one at the rate of 45k unlike a rabbit where u can establish rabbitry with just 10 mature female and 2 or 3 male with less expensive housing unlike grasscutter.
2; Grasscutter are all wild and not friendly like a rabbit
3; Gestation period of grasscutter is 45 day or more unlike rabbit 28 - 32 max 35 days
4. In terms of litters i.e kit, rabbit is the first ranging from 5 kits 12kits with my experience while grasscutter is ranging 2 to 5 kits hardly 7kits. E.t.c as you can see rabbit rearing is the best.
As you can see start one now and enjoy the happiness of it. One love rabbit lovers, one love dyoungforester.
Motto- breeding to be the best.
And remember the love of rabbit is the love of good returns. Stay bless.

3 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by jakiedudu(m): 1:50pm On Aug 01, 2014
Rabbits are cute little animals smiley

2 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by FOREXMARTS: 1:58pm On Aug 01, 2014
Don't forget to let em know that rabbit urine stinks badly. You can get high on the stench. Had to stop raring em when i couldn't take it anymore.

2 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by Emmysteve(m): 2:29pm On Aug 01, 2014
FOREXMARTS: Don't forget to let em know that rabbit urine stinks badly. You can get high on the stench. Had to stop raring em when i couldn't take it anymore.
what if one uses perfume to reduce the stinks. Any effect?
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by Nobody: 3:03pm On Aug 01, 2014
jakiedudu: Rabbits are cute little animals smiley

I think they look like giant Rats and they smell bad!! undecided
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by Nobody: 3:07pm On Aug 01, 2014
Lusola15: Love this

umm...wheres the pic of that main bunny,suarez?

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by jakiedudu(m): 3:15pm On Aug 01, 2014
boitz:

I think they look like giant Rats and they smell bad!! undecided
When you take good care of them they look good. I guess you are afraid of Rats. grin Well that's OK. I don't like rats either.

2 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by Ironi: 3:17pm On Aug 01, 2014
Rabbits have seven anuses.

They act like gears when they ran.

As they ran they close them and the more they close the faster they go.

They slow down by opening them.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by ntyce(m): 3:21pm On Aug 01, 2014
Just to add, rabbits love feeding on brewery waste as well as rumen content which can be obtained from abattoir.
The later is very rich in nutrients.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by Nobody: 4:22pm On Aug 01, 2014
ebola on my mind
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by olanshi: 4:26pm On Aug 01, 2014
Where I come from, if you kill a Rabbit the offense is more than killing human being!

Rabbit brings 'Goodluck' so why kill a Rabbit?
[color=#000099][/color]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

World's Biggest Cow Escapes Slaughter Because It's Too Big To Fit In Abattoir / The Fast Money Making Machine Crop In Pictures You Can Start Now!!. / Is Fish Farming As Lucrative As People Make It ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.