Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,076 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:25 AM

Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here - Agriculture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here (483470 Views)

World's Largest Pig Farm In Kano / Intending And First-time Farmers: Lets Meet Here / Kaduna State Farmers Lets Meet Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (122) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 11:57am On Aug 28, 2014
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ceasare: 1:35pm On Aug 28, 2014
femu: we were on whatsapp before..
BBM group has more features that will allow us all sell and communicate better.. .. let me do some consultations... we might have to migrate back

OK no problem please do I just feel whatsapp is cross platform across board even though bbm hs more feature.looking 4wd to learn from u guys.
Where is ajibawo in ota d farm u r renting out is? I schooled arnd ota back then in d 90s can't really pick wherr that area is .is it before or after oju oore or Iyana iyesi?
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 7:43pm On Aug 28, 2014
boluwajokosegun: Good work Femu , am also a pig farmer with farms in 3 different location in nigeria but l dont have BBM, l use androd phone, so how can i join the group am highly interested. eesteeresources@gmail.com. WhatApp:08182355047

sir you can download BBM onto your android and join us.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 7:43pm On Aug 28, 2014
ceasare:

OK no problem please do I just feel whatsapp is cross platform across board even though bbm hs more feature.looking 4wd to learn from u guys.
Where is ajibawo in ota d farm u r renting out is? I schooled arnd ota back then in d 90s can't really pick wherr that area is .is it before or after oju oore or Iyana iyesi?

owode side after Atan
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by lagbaja(m): 9:45am On Aug 29, 2014
The group membership has been very rewarding
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by eazeefix: 11:02am On Aug 29, 2014
Eye opening too!
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by boluwajokosegun: 12:03pm On Aug 29, 2014
@Femu i have downloaded BBM on my phone & also send you an invite my pin:79B45ABD add me
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Ijobaorun(m): 3:44pm On Aug 29, 2014
Please house, is there any effect of rice brown to lactating sows?
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by eazeefix: 7:39pm On Aug 29, 2014
Don't know of rice brown but I know of rice bran too much of which will cause loose stools due to its high fibre content. It's use limited to 'filler' in feed but when used with enzymes it's inclusion level can be increased a bit. A lactating sow requires a nutrient dense diet so it might not be the best. Valuable just after farrow to prevent constipation

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by dejia(m): 7:36pm On Aug 30, 2014
@ Ijobarun: Are you sure it is rice bran or Rice husk? there is a huge diff btwn the 2; i noticed most people call Rice husk, Rice bran; confirm and be sure..

I use Rice husk, about 10percent of it my feed, just as fillers; please dont use it for weaners or growers.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by boluwajokosegun: 9:58pm On Aug 30, 2014
@Femu this ur bbm pin 74511C1A.is it correct, it was a different person responding to me
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 10:54pm On Aug 30, 2014
boluwajokosegun: @Femu this ur bbm pin 74511C1A.is it correct, it was a different person responding to me

yes it is correct. welcome to the group
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ceasare: 7:22am On Aug 31, 2014
femu:
femu:

Are u d alhaji Barcelona? Me I did not see any group thing with d added bbm.Na 1 baba wey wear barca agbada!

Finally I ve byeen Added to the group by femu alhaji barca!

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Immortalz(m): 2:09pm On Aug 31, 2014
@dejia: pls i need u to clearly differentiate btw rice husk and bran. The one i use is the peelings from local rice and i've decided to use it in replacing brewery grain. Hope thats nt a fatal mistake sha?

To the house, two of my pigs has refused to get pregnant, they come on heat at intervals even after serving them with boar. Smone told me to gv them a medication that'll induce their heat, i did yet no sign of pregnancy rather they've bin shedding weight. Pls, wot do i do?
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ops(m): 6:19am On Sep 01, 2014
@ Immortalz
Sorry o bros.
Are they gilts or sows? I had the same problem with a gilt once but after a regimen of drugs it took in two cycles later. Nothing special, just LA, follwed by deworming immediately b4 serving.
Also, the boar you are using, is he tested?( I mean has he sired previously.) And did you actually see them mate?
The loss of weight might b side effect of the drug u used.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Nobody: 5:49pm On Sep 01, 2014
Good to be back to Nairaland after 5 years. I am pig farmer too precisely at Oke-Odan along Idi Iroko border. I will like to meet farmers along that axis. u can reach me on 08125288030
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Immortalz(m): 8:04pm On Sep 02, 2014
@ Ops : they're gilts plus the boar is nt jst a tested one bt also trusted. I've decided to let them be for a couple of mnths after which i may sell them off if they still remain the same.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by dejia(m): 6:28am On Sep 03, 2014
@Immortalz: What you are buying is Rice Husk, not Rice Bran. I will suggest you change the diet for those gilts/ sow and see if it makes a diff.

I had a similar problem with a sow, which i inseminated, but seems she lost the pregnancy at an early stage twice, i changed her diet to a ration with richer protein, and its seems to be stable, i cant say exactly you have a similar problem, but you can try that.

Maize is relatively cheap at this stage, i think you should try to increase it and use less of Rice husk ( 10% or less).

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by jimmysho(m): 10:18am On Sep 04, 2014
House I need answers to this questions;

1. what is prevailing prices of weaners and growers that one can use to populate ones farm?
2. Which breed is the best for fattening and breeding for slaughter?
3 is it advisable to have a small feed mill when you are starting the farm with 100 Growers/weaners for fattening to be sold live or butcher and 20 sow and 3 boar for breeding to populate the farm further? If yes, what is the average rate of such milling machine set.
4. Which is more profitable; Live or butchered meat?
5. Can anybody recommend a good farm manager on piggery.
6. to achieve good yield, do one feed the animals same ration on their different life cycle like it is applicable in birds where you feed chick mash, grower mash and layer mash as the case may be?
7. is it economical to use soya meal, cake, GNC, maize to formulate the pigs feeds?
8 can one achieve 100kg live weight in 8 months for fatten animals?
9 which breed give more meat than fat?
10. is cassava peals healthy for the animals considering cyanide content? if yes how do one process and preserve for say 3 months after it has been peeled from the tubers?
11. can one cook the cassava peels and will this eliminate the poison?
12. What is the recommended price of a quality and economical feeds?
13. What kills the cyanide, the heat or fermentation.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by okongo(m): 11:03am On Sep 04, 2014
jimmysho: House I need answers to this questions;

1. what is prevailing prices of weaners and growers that one can use to populate ones farm?
3 is it advisable to have a small feed mill when you are starting the farm with 100 Growers/weaners for fattening to be sold live or butcher and 20 sow and 3 boar for breeding to populate the farm further? If yes, what is the average rate of such milling machine set.
6. to achieve good yield, do one feed the animals same ration on their different life cycle like it is applicable in birds where you feed chick mash, grower mash and layer mash as the case may be?
7. is it economical to use soya meal, cake, GNC, maize to formulate the pigs feeds?
10. is cassava peals healthy for the animals considering cyanide content? if yes how do one process and preserve for say 3 months after it has been peeled from the tubers?
pls contact me on 08137291509
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 9:36pm On Sep 04, 2014

Weaners prices typically range from 3000-5000 naira. Growers are priced from 4000 upwards depending on several factors............

Forget about setting up a farm feedmill unless your farm is very large and you have access to cheap maize, pkc and soya.

soya meal, cake, GNC, maize are good for pigs....but it might not be economically sustainable. cheaper alternatives like bloodmeal, milk and chicken intestine exist.

There are different feed formulations for Weaner, grower and fattener pigs. Some of that info has been shared on this thread

The cassava cyanide is killed by heat or fermentation. you can keep the peels in bags and feed after 3days.

Go to http://no1pigfan. and learn more

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by jimmysho(m): 9:39am On Sep 05, 2014
thanks so much my brother

femu:

Weaners prices typically range from 3000-5000 naira. Growers are priced from 4000 upwards depending on several factors............

Forget about setting up a farm feedmill unless your farm is very large and you have access to cheap maize, pkc and soya.

soya meal, cake, GNC, maize are good for pigs....but it might not be economically sustainable. cheaper alternatives like bloodmeal, milk and chicken intestine exist.

There are different feed formulations for Weaner, grower and fattener pigs. Some of that info has been shared on this thread

The cassava cyanide is killed by heat or fermentation. you can keep the peels in bags and feed after 3days.

Go to http://no1pigfan. and learn more
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ops(m): 6:48pm On Sep 06, 2014

1. Price of weaners depends on the breed. Local breeds go for around N2000-N2,500 while u can get large white for N8,000. I think ssomeone said on this thread that he bought his weaners for N15,000. U can check previous pages to b sure.
2. Landrace pigs have longer torso hence more meat. I sold one last year that weighed 280kg. U might try that breed.
3. Answered already
4. Depends. Live meat is sold @ an agreed rate, usually btw N250-N300 per kg. I don't know about butchered meat.
5. Depends on your location. Prbly there is someone on this thread around u that can recommend.
6. Yes, diff rations, depending on age.
7. This is difficult to answer o. On paper, yes it might b economical. Practically, mayb not as much. Try and get cheaper alternatives in your locality that have the same or similar nutritional attributes. Any good feedmill around u should av a chart of diff items & their nutritional makeup.
8. Yes, depending on breed, feeding & care.
9. Can't really say. While breed might play a part in level of fat, I think its more a factor of wat u feed.
10. Answered already. You might also consider sun drying. Whichever is more convenient.
11. LOL. Bros, how many pigs do u want to cook for?
12.Quality & economical feed; u prbly av to make dat one by urself.
13. Both
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by FarmTech(m): 11:05am On Sep 08, 2014
A CALL TO ACTION
Are you in Anambra state and have passion for Agriculture? I need partners, people that are willing to go into low-cost areas in agriculture. Potential animals to raise include goats, grasscutters, fish and rabbits. If you're interested, contact me on Facebook by the name, Ikeme Henry. THANKS.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by sheunfemix: 12:39pm On Sep 08, 2014
Hi, I love farming too. Jst more interested in snail, poultry and grass cutter. Wud love to knw anyone who can put me through.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by jimmysho(m): 1:21pm On Sep 08, 2014
thank you my brother.
ops:

1. Price of weaners depends on the breed. Local breeds go for around N2000-N2,500 while u can get large white for N8,000. I think ssomeone said on this thread that he bought his weaners for N15,000. U can check previous pages to b sure.
2. Landrace pigs have longer torso hence more meat. I sold one last year that weighed 280kg. U might try that breed.
3. Answered already
4. Depends. Live meat is sold @ an agreed rate, usually btw N250-N300 per kg. I don't know about butchered meat.
5. Depends on your location. Prbly there is someone on this thread around u that can recommend.
6. Yes, diff rations, depending on age.
7. This is difficult to answer o. On paper, yes it might b economical. Practically, mayb not as much. Try and get cheaper alternatives in your locality that have the same or similar nutritional attributes. Any good feedmill around u should av a chart of diff items & their nutritional makeup.
8. Yes, depending on breed, feeding & care.
9. Can't really say. While breed might play a part in level of fat, I think its more a factor of wat u feed.
10. Answered already. You might also consider sun drying. Whichever is more convenient.
11. LOL. Bros, how many pigs do u want to cook for?
12.Quality & economical feed; u prbly av to make dat one by urself.
13. Both

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Ashasco: 8:42am On Sep 10, 2014
Piggery is a profitable bussines.reducing the cost of feeding: Babs farm dealers of all kinds of animals feeds wit cheap price such as spent grain,bewrey waste, cassava marsh, milk, cerelac & milo waste, biscuit soya beans&chaft, ricebrown e t c .contact 08138548035
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by FarmTech(m): 10:23pm On Sep 10, 2014
Ashasco: Piggery is a profitable bussines.reducing the cost of feeding: Babs farm dealers of all kinds of animals feeds wit cheap price such as spent grain,bewrey waste, cassava marsh, milk, cerelac & milo waste, biscuit soya beans&chaft, ricebrown e t c .contact 08138548035
posting your location and price list will be very helpful.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by solojay2002: 9:27am On Sep 11, 2014
I have a piggery farm and I think the problem I have been having is the market, I have two breeds of Hampshire and Duroc. Anyone who have a good market here should please furnish me with information to market
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Belexy(m): 10:59pm On Sep 11, 2014
Hello house, plz can i rear grower pigs (about eight) in a pen made wt bamboo?
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 9:34am On Sep 12, 2014
Belexy: Hello house, plz can i rear grower pigs (about eight) in a pen made wt bamboo?

sure have seen some backyard piggery like that.... even with bigger sized animals

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Belexy(m): 9:59am On Sep 12, 2014
femu:

sure have seen some backyard piggery like that.... even with bigger sized animals

Thanks bro. Im getting two piglets (male and female), end of next week. I wont av more dan 8grown pigs at any point in time. My carpenter is coming this weekend.

Plz can i av a picture of a bamboo pen? I av an idea of such but i will prefer to get a practical picture.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (122) (Reply)

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.