Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,765 members, 7,817,107 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:00 AM

Yahoo! Nigeria - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Yahoo! Nigeria (19089 Views)

Despite Having Its Own Ad Network, Why Does Yahoo Still Use Google's Adsense? / How To Submit Your Website/blog To Google, Bing & Yahoo / Whats Wrong With Yahoo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yahoo! Nigeria by sebi(m): 7:14pm On Jul 16, 2006
What would it take to have Yahoo! Nigeria? There is Yahoo UK, Yahoo Australia and the rest of them. Why dont we have Yahoo Nigeria. Dont mind me if I sound naive. Was jus wondering?
Re: Yahoo! Nigeria by Seun(m): 8:24pm On Jul 16, 2006
What exactly do we need Yahoo Nigeria for? Isn't Yahoo.com working well for us already?

And don't you want Nigerian webmasters to thrive in the vacuum that yahoo may have left?

1 Like

Re: Yahoo! Nigeria by my2cents(m): 2:51am On Jul 17, 2006
I say:

If there is to be a yahoo for each of the 170+ countries out there, so be it. If there is a UK/US/Australia etc version, y not a Nigeria version? Abi Africa no deserve am?

It always seems that having something is good enough until it comes to having it in mother Africa. All of a sudden, there are enough of such things.

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with having such a version. The more the merrier. Perhaps we can play with our own little sandbox
Re: Yahoo! Nigeria by Seun(m): 9:50am On Jul 17, 2006
You can't "play" with any Yahoo "sandbox" unless you work for Yahoo, and we can't all work for Yahoo.

If Yahoo Nigeria is so important, why can't you name any tangible benefit it will bring to Nigerians over Yahoo.com?
Re: Yahoo! Nigeria by youngies(m): 2:14pm On Jul 17, 2006
Seun, one of the benefits it will bring us is that it will expose our fellow bros who are into internet scam. youngies@yahoo.co.ng
Once it is sighted no will bother to open the mail
Re: Yahoo! Nigeria by Seun(m): 2:24pm On Jul 17, 2006
If such is the case, why would scammers want to use a distrusted email address? Why would anyone use it?
Re: Yahoo! Nigeria by vokalguy(m): 2:31pm On Jul 17, 2006
well i dunno if there is even any yahoo! africa
Re: Yahoo! Nigeria by Hugoboi(m): 2:35pm On Jul 17, 2006
YAHOO NIGERIA?

NOT A BAD IDEA, BUT NOT IN THIS LIFETIME, THE FEAR OF SCAMMERS IS THE BEGINNING OF WISDOM, YAHOO TAKE NOTE
Re: Yahoo! Nigeria by sebi(m): 2:51pm On Jul 17, 2006
Benefits? Well lets see. Yahoo Nigeria, I think will give us a face in the international IT community. And if there are any benefits for being a member of Nairaland.com I think those same benefits and more awaits nigerians.
Re: Yahoo! Nigeria by Seun(m): 3:29pm On Jul 17, 2006
We already have a face on the world wide web. Just go to nigeriafirst.org or nairaland.com!
Re: Yahoo! Nigeria by my2cents(m): 4:51pm On Jul 17, 2006
IMHO:

Nigerifirst - doesnt look appealing at all. In fact, it looks (no offense to the coder) 419ish

Nairaland - LOL, Seun, u dis bobo sef? Gotta promote every chance u got? No shakings o! Na capitalistic society we dey. Take advantage of an opportunity and *capitalize* on it grin
Re: Yahoo! Nigeria by saintchux(m): 6:10pm On Jul 17, 2006
YAHOO NIGERIA! That will be great.

The presence of yahoo in Nigeria, what will it give us as a nigeria? Can out Nigeria web programmer compete with yahoo Nigeria. Is this going to be another way of making the poor porer and the rich richer.

Some of us that are advocate of yahoo Nigeria does not even stay on net up to 5hrs a day.

What we need is not yahoo Nigeria. But a Nigeria company that will out perform yahoo. For how long will we continue to advocate for foreign goods are services. If we keep on bringing in these foreign IT firm into this country. Then we will after paying paris club we will enter into another bondage where all services in this country is from outside. And we keep on paying foreign firms.

Imagine Microsoft Nigeria, Dell Nigeria, HP Nigeria etc. What does these guys do here. Just to sell their product. While our IT firm will just be a represntative of foreign IT firm. How many of us know that there are IT firms here that manufacture computers. How many of us are using made in Nigeria software. Please stop advocating for foreign IT firm, let us develop our own.
Re: Yahoo! Nigeria by twinkledew(f): 12:57pm On Jul 18, 2006
lol angry sainchux cheesy
Re: Yahoo! Nigeria by Christino(m): 3:44pm On Jul 18, 2006
Methinks Yahoo! Nigeria won't come up until our ISPs are equally competitive, you know. Yahoo! can spoil business for ISPs, not here sha, NEPA will drive them away.

Meanwhile Yahoo! Nigeria won't be a bad idea, at least, we have Yahoo! India.

You can't access most of Yahoo! messengers features like direct calling and sms even on WAP! all because there's no Yahoo! nigeria. The most populous black nation deserves some publicity.

Man, we stand a whole lot to gain if we gat Yahoo! Nigeria, a huge plus on our side. Check it!
Re: Yahoo! Nigeria by sebi(m): 4:30pm On Jul 18, 2006
Hell! there is Google.co.za why aint there a google.co.ng and why cant there be a yahoo.co.ng!
Re: Yahoo! Nigeria by kellorah: 8:12pm On Jul 18, 2006
Seun:

What exactly do we need Yahoo Nigeria for? Isn't Yahoo.com working well for us already?

i wonder!
Re: Yahoo! Nigeria by diddy4(m): 8:31am On Jul 19, 2006
when you people start thinking of something more important, tell me.
Re: Yahoo! Nigeria by osteen(m): 9:55am On Jul 19, 2006
diddy i think u mean tu say when u guys start thinking of things more realistic, pls call me.
Re: Yahoo! Nigeria by Nobody: 11:13am On Jul 19, 2006
we need a yahoo nigeria,
Re: Yahoo! Nigeria by MissLollie(f): 11:25am On Jul 19, 2006
I don't understand the importance of having regional domains. If I'm given the choice I will always choose a .com address for my email or personal domain. I live in the UK but I have a hotmail.com and a yahoo.com email. The thought of going for .co.uk is not an option I would seriously consider.

You are limiting yourself to the audience you can reach or who will feel comfortable reaching out to you with a country specific domain ending.

I know some may feel that it is a sign of being taken serious in the international market but at the same time I would always feel more comfortable with a .com ending as that in itself IS the international market. If it's a case of the money that will be poured into the country by having a yahoo or a hotmail or even a google office there, many companies are opting to now just operate these foreign ventures out of one country in a territory and unless we pull up our socks and start out performing South Africa in the eyes of overseas investors the chance is near on nil,
Re: Yahoo! Nigeria by memyself2(f): 2:24pm On Jul 19, 2006
saintchux:

The presence of yahoo in Nigeria, what will it give us as a nigeria? Can out Nigeria web programmer compete with yahoo Nigeria. Is this going to be another way of making the poor porer and the rich richer.

Some of us that are advocate of yahoo Nigeria does not even stay on net up to 5hrs a day.

What we need is not yahoo Nigeria. But a Nigeria company that will out perform yahoo. For how long will we continue to advocate for foreign goods are services. If we keep on bringing in these foreign IT firm into this country. Then we will after paying paris club we will enter into another bondage where all services in this country is from outside. And we keep on paying foreign firms.

Imagine Microsoft Nigeria, Dell Nigeria, HP Nigeria etc. What does these guys do here. Just to sell their product. While our IT firm will just be a represntative of foreign IT firm. How many of us know that there are IT firms here that manufacture computers. How many of us are using made in Nigeria software. Please stop advocating for foreign IT firm, let us develop our own.

"

*clap, clap, clap* Nig needs more pple like you, but emmmm, wat exactly r u doing to help Nig gets to that stage, there's a book that says sumfin bout this kind of thing, capitalist nigger, i think its called.it would be cool for us to actually get there but considerin what we Nigerian pple consider impt ie gettin Gucci wears, drivin the latest sports car,etc all unimportant things, i dont believe we will get there!
Re: Yahoo! Nigeria by Christino(m): 2:58pm On Jul 19, 2006
saintchux:

LoL,
Man you probably do not know much about yahoo! services and I am so damn sure your email address is @yahoo.woteva. If Nigeria has been blacklisted from Godaddy (and more recently had a ban lifted on Cashcards.net) then Yahoo.co.ng would help our cause beyond the shores of the country. I mean some form of acceptance or recognition. Nigeria is not really the most corrupt country, but our image has been battered at home and abroad and IT firms coming down here should be seen as a plus.

You cannot rubbish Dell Nigeria and HP Nigeria, Zinox is competing with them seriously, if not better. It is a great challenge, name an internet giant in Nigeria today. Hyperia, skannet, linkserve? Name them now. But by the time we have established ISPs like Yahoo! coming in (Domain name registration $2.99), email has always been free. Find out how much it costs to open an email account with Hyperia, a Nigerian based IT firm.

Someday, we'll stand on our own, but we really need these guys around. And i'm very sure your cell phone was not made in Aba, I'm even double sure your PC was not locally made, Moreover, I can bet my salary that your wristwatch was not made in Africa.
Man, Yahoo! coming down here is largely welcome, infact more employment plus they won't force you to pay a dime, more Local music and exposure for our artistes, more insights into Nigeria, check out Yahoo! india and see how bollywood movies are advertised. Don't just stand in here and criticize. See for yourself. The world cannot be wrong.

Why did no one complain of Google in Yoruba?
Re: Yahoo! Nigeria by uzomaeze(m): 11:58am On Jul 20, 2006
please let me be the las person to discuss this matter on this forum YAHOO NG MY FOOT stop all that trash and think of something that will solve a problem not bring a problem, like what seun is doing here

Re: Yahoo! Nigeria by Farriel(m): 2:07pm On Jul 20, 2006
uzomaeze, you can't honestly and entirely disagree with saintchux now, can you?

Besides, do you seriously think that Yahoo Nigeria would bring a problem (a problem that you alone can foresee), not reedeem some bits of Nigeria's thrashed image?
Re: Yahoo! Nigeria by kellorah: 2:08pm On Jul 20, 2006
una sabi write book
Re: Yahoo! Nigeria by uzomaeze(m): 4:00pm On Jul 20, 2006
kellorah are u blamig them they want something that will not bring in good Imagine yahoo nigeria .com kia i don see somtin
Farriel please rephrase the idea its not worth it

as for the Yahoo.com guys make dem no see am as somtin wey dey personal
Re: Yahoo! Nigeria by kellorah: 4:18pm On Jul 20, 2006
lol
Re: Yahoo! Nigeria by nilla(f): 5:25pm On Jul 20, 2006
Yahoo Nigeria!!!  cool

But have we thought about what language it will be in? Pidgin english (not helping us, because it will make us fail english), igbo, yoruba, hausa, ibibio, efik, urhobo, etc.

Some of the countries that have their own yahoos are in their language eg. fr.yahoo.com, yahoo.co.jp etc.

N/b africa is the only occupied continent without their own yahoo.

But no problem, its all good.
Re: Yahoo! Nigeria by kellorah: 5:31pm On Jul 20, 2006
I DON'T SEE ANY NEED IN YAHOO NIGERIA. ALL OF US HAVE GOT YAHOO.COM/.CO.UK/GMAIL AND THE REST OF THEM SO WHY BOTHER WITH YAHOO NIGERIA. WHAT'S GOING TO BE THE CONTENT? I DON'T REALLY CARE WHETHER THERE'S YAHOO NIGERIA OR NOT. I'M STICKING TO MY YAHOO.COM AND MY MSN. THEY ARE ENOUGH FOR ME!
FOR THOSE WHO WANT YAHOO NIGERIA,YOU CAN HAVE IT! IT AINT A CRIME!! SUIT YOURSELVES!!!! wink
Re: Yahoo! Nigeria by Christino(m): 6:17pm On Jul 20, 2006
I love my people, Kai. if Yahoo Nigeria ask for CVs, see how many people go line up for internet?
After so much fuss about nudity in BBA check out the response of these same DOUBLE MOUTHED people to BBN?
And they want Vodafone to come in and do what? (talk now)

Why can't we see beyond .co.ng? yahoo is not asking you to change your email from dotcom, besides if yahoo.com becomes problematic (at times u can't log in throughout the day) you can log in to yahoo.co.ng plus more inside news on the homepage. Have you seen the new Yahoo! Mail Beta, check it out. Plus PC to Mobile calls, not available in non-yahoo regions, as well as Net SMS to Phone features which are not accessible. We stand to gain a lot, yahoo is not just about email.

Yahoo! Nigeria to me is like any foreign investor and they are highly welcome anytime, anyday.
Re: Yahoo! Nigeria by niceuzor: 5:31pm On Nov 17, 2006
Seun:

Seun That what u think i know u are gone far in IT and in Webdesign u mean u can Build for us a Yahoo nigeria.If there is Google Nigeria why aint be Yahoo Nigeria.
We have Google Nigeria Now www.google.com.ng

Pls tell us ooooooo.
Re: Yahoo! Nigeria by niyyie(m): 7:40pm On Nov 17, 2006
This is the simple case for a "Yahoo! Nigeria"

Localized content. Repeat after me! Again! Again!!

Good. Now you know it. grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

INTERSWITCH/QUICKTELLER Won't Return My Funds After A Failed Transaction! / The New Layout Of GtBank's Internet Banking Portal / Musk: Twitter Taking Legal Action To enforce Agreed Deal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.