Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,601 members, 7,816,494 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:56 AM

New Tariff On Importation of Tokunbo Cars Postponed??? - Autos (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / New Tariff On Importation of Tokunbo Cars Postponed??? (27522 Views)

Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% / How Will The Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Vehicles Affect Car Dealers? / Jonathan To Introduce New Tariff On Imported Vehicles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Tariff On Importation of Tokunbo Cars Postponed??? by texazzpete(m): 11:21am On Jul 03, 2014
anonimi:

You put it so well.
We cannot continue pushing forward and postponing the NEEDED SACRIFICE for our country's INDUSTRIALISATION and rapid SUSTAINABLE soci-economic development that creates EMPLOYMENT for our teeming youths, particularly those with relevant VOCATIONAL and TECHNICAL schools qualifications. This will normally REDUCE attraction to TERRORIST recruitment & activities by the currently jobless youths.

One can only imagine the outstanding MULTIPLIER effects on our national economy of just a fraction of the $ 3.4 billion we are currently LEAKING outside for auto related imports:

We can imagine the effect a fraction of the missing $20bn would do for Nigerians too!

This tariff increment is wrong, immoral and unjust, sold to us by an anti-people Government in thrall of several cabals.

Why is it that when it's a discussion about removing fuel subsidy, the Government is quick to tell us 'market forces will decide and ultimately force the price of fuel down', yet when it comes to autos, the FG has no intention of letting market forces decide?

Cars assembled in Nigeria are supposed to be CHEAPER than new cars coming in, and price competitive with many popular Tokunbo brands that are imported. Yet the Government still wants to punish those who may not want those locally assembled brands or who cannot afford them. You do NOT need any increase in tariffs in tokunbo cars to make the auto policy a success.

As always, it is sad to see how you've been compromised.

3 Likes

Re: New Tariff On Importation of Tokunbo Cars Postponed??? by justi4jesu(f): 11:23am On Jul 03, 2014
experimentist: Everything.. But I fit buy you one if you want cry

I WANT FERRARI grin grin
Re: New Tariff On Importation of Tokunbo Cars Postponed??? by experimentist: 11:27am On Jul 03, 2014
justi4jesu:

I WANT FERRARI grin grin
Wetin be Ferrari?

I go buy Keke Napep make you dey deliver every week cry
Re: New Tariff On Importation of Tokunbo Cars Postponed??? by justi4jesu(f): 11:33am On Jul 03, 2014
experimentist: Wetin be Ferrari?

I go buy Keke Napep make you dey deliver every week cry

No try me oh..then why you ask me wetin i want? that one na longer throat abi na wetin.. Men and their stinginess grin tongue tongue
Re: New Tariff On Importation of Tokunbo Cars Postponed??? by experimentist: 11:40am On Jul 03, 2014
justi4jesu:

No try me oh..then why you ask me wetin i want? that one na longer throat abi na wetin.. Men and their stinginess grin tongue tongue
gringringrin

I'm talking business, you're talking stinginess.. Let's get into business babecry
Re: New Tariff On Importation of Tokunbo Cars Postponed??? by conyema12(m): 11:42am On Jul 03, 2014
frodobee: Well, I can still import my FIAT 3T truck.

its FIAT T3 TRUCK NWOKE ITALY....LOL
Re: New Tariff On Importation of Tokunbo Cars Postponed??? by anonimi: 11:46am On Jul 03, 2014
ogaju007:

I share your views however, the growth on paper will never ever, never ever filter down to the people as long as we have greedy bastards in power. Nigeria is fine as it is (All we need to do is change our greedy mentality). When a senator,governor, president starts to think of the people before themselves only then will Nigeria rise but until then, we will only see road and building construction but no real impact for the common man.

I also agree with you about the "greedy bastards in power". We must realise however that WE put them there, either through active participation in the political process or PASSIVE NEGLIGENCE.
Therefore it is up to us to CHANGE them and/or their behaviour, especially the LOAFING legisLOOTERs and LGA chairmen & councillors who are literally SLEEPING ON DUTY.
Yet a Councillor receives almost N 300,000 monthly
shocked

1 Like

Re: New Tariff On Importation of Tokunbo Cars Postponed??? by Wisdytech(m): 11:50am On Jul 03, 2014
Dj Wisdytech Raptape (RNB) Vol. 5 Drops Sun. 6th July 2014-

www.nairaland.com/1797326/dj-wisdytech-raptape-rnb-vol
Re: New Tariff On Importation of Tokunbo Cars Postponed??? by Nobody: 11:52am On Jul 03, 2014
Need an agent to help you clear n forward your good wt no story? Pls pm me asap
Re: New Tariff On Importation of Tokunbo Cars Postponed??? by nduchucks: 11:59am On Jul 03, 2014
Why does this government and its officials continue to decieve Nigerians instead of admitting that the new tarriff as announced is unworkable? They need to simply allow market forces to work instead of trying to rig economic outcomes with stupid policies.

The government can encourage and support the automobile manufacturing industry without destroying Tokunbo businesses which provide jobs to thousands of people.

I'd recommend that they go and find the missing $20 - $50billion and inject only $1billion into the automobile manufacturing industry and leave small busiunesses alone. duk barawo.
Re: New Tariff On Importation of Tokunbo Cars Postponed??? by anonimi: 12:03pm On Jul 03, 2014
texazzpete:

We can imagine the effect a fraction of the missing $20bn would do for Nigerians too!

This tariff increment is wrong, immoral and unjust, sold to us by an anti-people Government in thrall of several cabals.

Why is it that when it's a discussion about removing fuel subsidy, the Government is quick to tell us 'market forces will decide and ultimately force the price of fuel down', yet when it comes to autos, the FG has no intention of letting market forces decide?

Cars assembled in Nigeria are supposed to be CHEAPER than new cars coming in, and price competitive with many popular Tokunbo brands that are imported. Yet the Government still wants to punish those who may not want those locally assembled brands or who cannot afford them. You do NOT need any increase in tariffs in tokunbo cars to make the auto policy a success.

I guess you need to get better informed on this economic issue before you make comments that may embarrass you.
You may want to find out how the Chinese, Indian and othe South east Asian countries have built up their industries that can NOW compete with those in Western Europe and America.
Any person or group of people who cannot SACRIFICE TODAY in order to have a better future will remain SLAVES to those who can.

And keep harping on your imaginary compromised phrase. I guess if it makes you feel better I cannot & should not deprive you of such pleasure.

2 Likes

Re: New Tariff On Importation of Tokunbo Cars Postponed??? by TemmyTee82(f): 12:26pm On Jul 03, 2014
youngdoctor: A welcome development..but the real questions are:1..why the increament..it shud be a mata of choice.if you want a made in Nigeria car,then go get it..if you wnt an imported 1 den it's ur choice.
2..where will the money they realize from this enter?
DEN.Y IS IT DT D PRICE OF ANYTHING NEVA GOES DOWN IN NIGERIA??
Pls note that if left alone, people would never purchase made-in-Nigeria cars... they see it as inferior. And the price of SIM cards and mobile phones actually went down in Nigeria! grin

2 Likes

Re: New Tariff On Importation of Tokunbo Cars Postponed??? by akpanikpe(m): 12:28pm On Jul 03, 2014
Better, but it's gonna work in 2015 any way. So wat's tthe need? Y not start it now so we get used to it b4 jan 1st 2015?
Re: New Tariff On Importation of Tokunbo Cars Postponed??? by sunbodan(f): 12:49pm On Jul 03, 2014
Thanks
Re: New Tariff On Importation of Tokunbo Cars Postponed??? by BizBooks(m): 1:11pm On Jul 03, 2014
cecegorz: @OP
Your information is highly misleading!

Well, I guess you can say that. But a more accurate thing to say is that the
Nigerian government is confused. In case you did not notice, every information
I provided on this issue came directly either from an arm of the government or
a registered trade association. Let us recap:

1. The Standard Organization of Nigeria (SON) categorically insist that no new
car assembled in Nigeria has been certified to be driven on Nigerian road.

2. Alhaji Alhassan Dantata, National Coordinator of Maritime Advocacy and Action
Group (MAAG) confirmed the 6 months extension of the Auto Policy. He praised
President Goodluck Jonathan for “having a listening ear”.

3. The Trade Minister, Olusegun Aganga on his part maintains that the Auto Policy
has gone into effect. He complicated matters further by saying that some car
importers will pay 35% duty while others pay 70%.

This is the hallmark of a confused administration. As you can see, there is obviously
some power tussle going on behind the scene on this issue. What we need now is
somebody in authority (preferably Okonjo-Iweala or GEJ himself) to come out and
tell us the true position. Aganga can no longer be trusted to provide credible
information on this matter. He personally wants the Policy to be implemented
at all cost.

2 Likes

Re: New Tariff On Importation of Tokunbo Cars Postponed??? by vicchi12(f): 1:17pm On Jul 03, 2014
My name is tokunboh cry undecided
Re: New Tariff On Importation of Tokunbo Cars Postponed??? by Dee60: 1:42pm On Jul 03, 2014
texazzpete:

The people behind it know what they are doing. They sure know that you do not use tariff sanctions to promote industrialization. Very basic Economics tells you that. FG should be concerned about bringing down the cost of production and to create a liberal environment.

I give you an example. Just take a look at the SON release. You would think that it is crafted by a military dictator. For more than a year that discussions were taking place and investors were being invited SON said nothing. It is only after the President had launched the cars that they remembered that the factories are not SON compliant. And I smell a rat. Would FIAT ever set up a plant, or Nissan, without having ISO compliance in place? Is SON not just after taxing companies? If these taxes are too many would these companies not run away to safer havens? how has that helped industrialization in that case?

Can SON subject itself to any international ISO body for it to be certified? Is SON not turning itself to another revenue generation outfit? Should companies pay 'Customs' dues twice and thrice?

The release by SON shows pure militancy, their approach shows militancy. If truly you want to promote industrialization and growth I think a better approach should be adopted and of course, charges should not be counter-productive.

SON needs to check its own conscience, if it is going after quality or after excessive taxes! Nigeria belongs to all, and we should not embark on gradual deprivation leading to economic suffocation of the citizens.
Re: New Tariff On Importation of Tokunbo Cars Postponed??? by Dee60: 2:14pm On Jul 03, 2014
BizBooks:

Well, I guess you can say that. But a more accurate thing to say is that the
Nigerian government is confused. In case you did not notice, every information
I provided on this issue came directly either from an arm of the government or
a registered trade association. Let us recap:

1. The Standard Organization of Nigeria (SON) categorically insist that no new
car assembled in Nigeria has been certified to be driven on Nigerian road.

2. Alhaji Alhassan Dantata, National Coordinator of Maritime Advocacy and Action
Group (MAAG) confirmed the 6 months extension of the Auto Policy. He praised
President Goodluck Jonathan for “having a listening ear”.

3. The Trade Minister, Olusegun Aganga on his part maintains that the Auto Policy
has gone into effect. He complicated matters further by saying that some car
importers will pay 35% duty while others pay 70%.

This is the hallmark of a confused administration. As you can see, there is obviously
some power tussle going on behind the scene on this issue. What we need now is
somebody in authority (preferably Okonjo-Iweala or GEJ himself) to come out and
tell us the true position. Aganga can no longer be trusted to provide credible
information on this matter. He personally wants the Policy to be implemented
at all cost.

Is Okonjo Iweala still there? It has been a while I heard her comment on anything. I hope she is still getting the support she needs!
Re: New Tariff On Importation of Tokunbo Cars Postponed??? by adconline(m): 2:19pm On Jul 03, 2014
cecegorz: @OP
Your information is highly misleading!
What the Minister Aganga clarified yesterday is that for Companies that has made significant investment in local assembly plants e.g. Innoson, Nissan, PAN, etc. they will continue to pay 35% on fully built units in order to complements their local production volume.

While every other buy and sell companies e.g Toyota Nigeria, Globe motors, Inspired Autos, Berger under Bridge dealers, and all Nairaland dealers will start paying the 70% as at 1st July this year.

Now, the tricky part for me there is, how do you regulate the volumes that Nissan and co imports at 35%, knowing an average Nigerian business, what if they deliberately scale down their local production and keeps importing fully built units at lower rates in order to maximixe profit?
I hope the minister and his team have a clear cut policy regulations that ensures that somebody will not fly under the radar of this plan to enrich himself.
Meanwhile I am yet to see any of the companies advertising a Nigerian assembled Sedan in the media. Is it only trucks and buses they produce? What happened to private cars?
Thank you! I said this before. Why not say 35% for every 1 or 2 units locally assembled?
Re: New Tariff On Importation of Tokunbo Cars Postponed??? by noegenesis(m): 3:37pm On Jul 03, 2014
aguiyi: The president is too tolerant, this is how the auto policy will become a charade. The same way he tolerated boko harm till they became a national embarrassment.that is how he tolerated slow poke ministers until they made his administration a laughing stock and went further to take the life of some youths in the name of recruitment exercise.

He is presently tolerating Biafra zionists until they start taking up arms, I mean real arms.
Just like he tolerated obasanjo until he almost started dictating does and don'ts for him.

How can SON not be carried along in a policy like this.
How can we continue to play with a policy that will revive so many industries at the same.

How can we be this inconsistent as a people and expect to be taken seriously by others.

This administration will pass in no distant future but will the results of their inactions pass with it?

Time is ticking
Destinies are been delayed

Seriously, I don't like this inconsistency even though I will be told its human feelings and a listening leaders style sad

Mr, leave the President out of this. SON has made itself irrelevant in Nigeria market. From experience, Products approved by SON have no distinction with the ones without the stamp. infact, I, sometimes use the stamp to know products I don't purchase! If those cars were edible, they will surely have a NAFDAC number. I'm not saying the due process should be boycotted, I am saying "it's the fruit of their labour". its a sign of their incompetence. I pray a "Dora" will one day rise in SON. Long live Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: New Tariff On Importation of Tokunbo Cars Postponed??? by texazzpete(m): 4:56pm On Jul 03, 2014
anonimi:

I guess you need to get better informed on this economic issue before you make comments that may embarrass you.
You may want to find out how the Chinese, Indian and othe South east Asian countries have built up their industries that can NOW compete with those in Western Europe and America.
Any person or group of people who cannot SACRIFICE TODAY in order to have a better future will remain SLAVES to those who can.

And keep harping on your imaginary compromised phrase. I guess if it makes you feel better I cannot & should not deprive you of such pleasure.

I guess you need to get better informed on this 'common sense' issue before YOU embarrass yourself further.
People put in bans on imported goods when it's clear that the local production can meet internal demand. Please, kindly tell me how Nissan Patrol SUVs can meet the demand of Mama Ibeji who has just N2m to buy a decent car.

Locally assembled cars should reflect the drastic reduction in shipping and import costs in their prices to make them more attractive to consumers. At that point, market forces take over and Mama Ibeji will then happily buy a new Nissan Sedan for N2.5m instead of spending N1.7m to bring in a 2005 vehicle. But you're here, trumpeting a new law that will allow Govt cronies like Stallion Motors et al to bring in foreign cars at the old prices while others are being forced out of business. A new law that makes many citizens unable to afford decent vehicles.

You know the fallout of this? It's not pushing people to buy locally assembled vehicles...there's no indication of significantly reduced prices for these vehicles. All this will do is push more people into buying old vehicles that have less safety features built in and are poorer at fuel consumption. Is this what Nigeria needs?

anonimi:

Ah, but the Nigerian populace is already sacrificing greatly for these kleptocratic leaders you idolize, lapdog. They pay a lot of money for fuel, when their nation is one of the largest oil producers in the world. They suffer through epileptic power supply, through high interest rates, through poor healthcare, though serious insecurities. It is a sign of wickedness to further reduce their spending power when it comes to driving decent vehicles.
If the Government was serious about improving the economy, let them tackle the estimate 100,000 barrels of crude oil that is stolen daily. That will yield even more money than this anti-people component of the auto-policy.

5 Likes

Re: New Tariff On Importation of Tokunbo Cars Postponed??? by anonimi: 5:29pm On Jul 03, 2014
texazzpete:

People put in bans on imported goods when it's clear that the local production can meet internal demand.

Is there a ban on imported vehicles
Re: New Tariff On Importation of Tokunbo Cars Postponed??? by texazzpete(m): 6:22pm On Jul 03, 2014
anonimi:

Is there a ban on imported vehicles

Fine, no ban. Drastically increased tariffs. You happy now?

There is a perfectly logical and reasonable middle ground the FG could have taken to make local car assembly palatable to investors while still allowing the populace to buy decent cars with their meager salaries. Tax breaks/incentives and lowered tariffs for imported parts would easily suffice. Keep it like this until local assembly can hit the numbers and diversity to cater for much of local demand. Then - and only then - do you hike up tariffs.

Of course, this brand of common sense is alien to this anti-people Government.
Re: New Tariff On Importation of Tokunbo Cars Postponed??? by zurine(f): 9:03pm On Jul 03, 2014
So what is the implication
Re: New Tariff On Importation of Tokunbo Cars Postponed??? by femmy2010(m): 6:15am On Jul 04, 2014
Customs duty payable on Used cars has been taken to 35% since May and has remained in play till now and almost certainly 2moro,it is the 35% levy that has a planned introduction date of July 1st that was postponed till Next year.

Thanks

Re: New Tariff On Importation of Tokunbo Cars Postponed??? by lukman22: 7:45am On Jul 04, 2014
femmy2010: Customs duty payable on Used cars has been taken to 35% since May and has remained in play till now and almost certainly 2moro,it is the 35% levy that has a planned introduction date of July 1st that was postponed till Next year.

Thanks

plz explain in details.
thanks
Re: New Tariff On Importation of Tokunbo Cars Postponed??? by femmy2010(m): 9:39am On Jul 04, 2014
lukman22:

plz explain in details.
thanks

I already did.
Re: New Tariff On Importation of Tokunbo Cars Postponed??? by SailorXY: 9:54am On Jul 04, 2014
princetunex: Need an agent to help you clear n forward your good wt no story? Pls pm me asap
how much to clear a 2006 Toyota 4Runner?
Re: New Tariff On Importation of Tokunbo Cars Postponed??? by sheffyUTD(m): 11:13am On Jul 04, 2014
Confirmed. The new tariff on used vehicles has been postponed till next year.

Keep your enquries coming
Re: New Tariff On Importation of Tokunbo Cars Postponed??? by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jul 04, 2014
SailorXY:
how much to clear a 2006 Toyota 4Runner?
Business isnt done dt way sir, u cn pls gv me a cal on 07062164282 nd i wl gv u al necessary info as each port's prices difer.
Re: New Tariff On Importation of Tokunbo Cars Postponed??? by HowFar: 4:54pm On Jul 04, 2014
sheffyUTD: Confirmed. The new tariff on used vehicles has been postponed till next year.

Keep your enquries coming

Confirmed by who and where's your source?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

CARS FROM COTONOU / Let's Upgrade Ur 2008 To 2016 Model Toyota Land Cruiser To 2022 Model Now / January 2014 **Deals Of The Month** - Fhemmmy Don Come AGAIN Oh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.