Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,215 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:17 AM

2014 World Cup: 25 French-born Players Play AGAINST France! - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 2014 World Cup: 25 French-born Players Play AGAINST France! (2897 Views)

Man United Take On Barcelonar In The International Champions Cup (25/07/15) / FIFA Approves Goal-line Technology For 2014 World Cup / Caf Unveil 2014 World Cup Qualifying Format (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

2014 World Cup: 25 French-born Players Play AGAINST France! by Nobody: 7:45pm On Jul 02, 2014
Whether France wins this year's World Cup or not, it has already taken first place in at least one face of the global soccer showdown. France has more of its homegrown players competing for other nations than any other country.

At the 2014 World Cup, there were 25 French-born players representing other countries — 16 alone for Algeria. That's not only enough to field another full team for France, but also five more players than are actually on the French team, Les Bleus, in Brazil.

France's generosity is largely thanks to a rule change by FIFA, soccer's governing body. In 2010, FIFA loosened the rules about player nationality. Now, players who have appeared for a country's youth team, or have only played in exhibition matches, may apply for a one-time switch to another country. "That's a big difference, says Laurent Dubois, a Duke professor and commentator on world soccer. "The generation before had to make up their minds when they were 15 or something."

Before the rule change, debates about race and identity in soccer were largely academic — players could either play or not play for their country, or wait to go through an often-lengthy citizenship process in an adopted country. But since 2010, players have been able to switch their allegiances. And nowhere have players done so more readily than in France. This map shows where they have gone:

France is becoming an ever-more-multiethnic society, sparking sometimes-violent arguments on the role of race and religion in almost every facet of French society. Soccer is no exception. French fans endlessly note and debate over players who do not sing the national anthem. Star striker Karim Benzema, who has scored three times for France at this World Cup, told So Foot magazine in 2011 that, "Basically, if I score, I'm French. And if I don't score or there are problems, I'm Arab."

The French Football Federation even once discussed limiting the number of places for minority players in the country's famous youth training system. Players as young as 12 would have been passed over to make room for more white players.

The proposed quotas sparked an uproar in France, but also led Benoit Assou-Ekotto, who was born in France to Cameroonian parents, to tell the Guardian that "the country does not want us to be part of this new France." Assou-Ekotto chose to play international soccer for Cameroon.

"I have no feeling for the France national team; it just doesn't exist," he said. He contrasted his alienation from French society to the feelings of his black English teammates at Tottenham Hostpur, the Premier League club where he played for years.

"When people ask of my generation in France, 'Where are you from?', they will reply Morocco, Algeria, Cameroon or wherever. But what has amazed me in England is that, when I ask the same question of people like Lennon and Defoe, they'll say, 'I'm English.'"

Assou-Ekotto is known for being particularly outspoken — he was recently sanctioned for his stand on another racially-charged topic, the "quenelle" gesture. Most other players have less to say on issues of identity.

French fan El Yamine Soum thinks that says a lot about their priorities. Soum was born in Algeria, but has lived in Paris since the age of two. He follows both national teams but makes particularly sure to stay up to date with France. "I always follow them."
He says his fandom was sparked after France's 1998 World Cup victory starring Zinedine Zidane, the soccer legend born to Algerian parents in Marseilles. "It was interesting to see, symbolically, a Franco-Algerian winning the World Cup. So, for me, it's something important."

Soum thinks nationality is secondary for most minority players in France. He believe they make their decisions mostly because they want to compete in big tournaments, not because of conflicting identities. And, he says, French soccer fans understand those choices.

"Today, football is a market," he concedes. "Imagine, for people like Bentaleb, they are young, 20 years old, and they can play a World Cup."

He means Nabil Bentaleb, the young midfielder who, like many Franco-Algerians, played for France's youth teams. But after an unexpected breakout season at Tottenham, he decided to represent Algeria. Just months after his first Premier League start, he also started all three World Cup games for his adopted country.

Source: http://www.pri.org/stories/2014-06-30/frances-cosmopolitan-society-shines-world-cup-other-countries-too

1 Like

Re: 2014 World Cup: 25 French-born Players Play AGAINST France! by Nobody: 7:55pm On Jul 02, 2014
Interesting, right?

France doesn't seem inspire the devotion of it's professional football players.

1 Like

Re: 2014 World Cup: 25 French-born Players Play AGAINST France! by Fulaman198(m): 8:22pm On Jul 02, 2014
Nice thread

1 Like

Re: 2014 World Cup: 25 French-born Players Play AGAINST France! by ninja4life(m): 3:14pm On Jul 04, 2014
EnlightenedSoul: Interesting, right?

France doesn't seem inspire the devotion of it's professional football players.

i think it has more to do with individual players and their capacity,bentalab mention for example if he has chosen to play for france am 100% sure he wont hav played all the france world cup matches he wont even make d 23 list sef i guess dats why he chose to play for algeria where he will get more playing time.players like benzema and zidane are from algerian origin but dey are exceptional and will surely start if dey play for france i guess dats why dey chose france over algeria cos dey will hav playing time and can win trophies with france unlike with algeria.my opinion

1 Like

Re: 2014 World Cup: 25 French-born Players Play AGAINST France! by Nobody: 5:51pm On Jul 04, 2014
ninja4life: i think it has more to do with individual players and their capacity,bentalab mention for example if he has chosen to play for france am 100% sure he wont hav played all the france world cup matches he wont even make d 23 list sef i guess dats why he chose to play for algeria where he will get more playing time.players like benzema and zidane are from algerian origin but dey are exceptional and will surely start if dey play for france i guess dats why dey chose france over algeria cos dey will hav playing time and can win trophies with france unlike with algeria.my opinion

I can see that.

I can agree with your opinion, but I also feel they have secondary reasons for deserting France.
Re: 2014 World Cup: 25 French-born Players Play AGAINST France! by ninja4life(m): 7:13pm On Jul 04, 2014
EnlightenedSoul:

I can see that.

I can agree with your opinion, but I also feel they have secondary reasons for deserting France.
u maybe right sha
Re: 2014 World Cup: 25 French-born Players Play AGAINST France! by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 12:37am On Aug 15, 2014
Who wants to play for a country where you are not accepted, most Africans playing from France are from countries with weak teams, then you have the antillais..... lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: 2014 World Cup: 25 French-born Players Play AGAINST France! by Nobody: 1:08am On Aug 15, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES: Who wants to play for a country where you are not accepted, most Africans playing from France are from countries with weak teams, then you have the antillais..... lipsrsealed

I just thought it was interesting. I've seen Africans rep other Western countries happily enough. French racism must be something else.

Have you been?
Re: 2014 World Cup: 25 French-born Players Play AGAINST France! by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 1:09am On Aug 15, 2014
If you watch a France game, you will notice that they do not even sing the national anthem even if they were born and raised in France,
+ that racist coach and his so called theory about black not using technique and understanding tactics ..Laurent blanc WTF undecided
Anyway France is being colonized, and did I hear a "nique la France ".

1 Like

Re: 2014 World Cup: 25 French-born Players Play AGAINST France! by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 1:12am On Aug 15, 2014
EnlightenedSoul:

I just thought it was interesting. I've seen Africans rep other Western countries happily enough. French racism must be something else.

Have you been?
Yeah ...

France are the biggest cowards and racists on earth, with their assimilation policies or pseudo anti communautarisme ...they project you an image of what is France supposed to be yet won't let you access it..they do everything to frustrate the Africans living there...now they created a new terminology ..francais de souche ...lmfaom

1 Like

Re: 2014 World Cup: 25 French-born Players Play AGAINST France! by Nobody: 1:44am On Aug 15, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES:
Yeah ...

France are the biggest cowards and racists on earth, with their assimilation policies or pseudo anti communautarisme ...they project you an image of what is France supposed to be yet won't let you access it..they do everything to frustrate the Africans living there...now they created a new terminology ..francais de souche ...lmfaom

That's too bad undecided
I'd like to visit and see it for myself some day. My mom was born and grew up there, but she hasn't had any crazy stories to tell us. It appears things have gotten worse. Perhaps immigration issues and etc?
Re: 2014 World Cup: 25 French-born Players Play AGAINST France! by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 2:06am On Aug 15, 2014
Things are not getting worst...the Africans they did not integrate are now banging @the socio economic door, they want their part of the cake, and they are no longer cowards/sucking it up, the later is what shock white the most .. grin grin like I said the sooner they accept France is a multi ethnic country ,the better for them, they used to think most Africans going there do it out of love or because they want to emulate them, imagine the idiots harassing people in the streets and buses because of their skin color, their ID being checked over and over again ..me I dye watch

I wanted Algeria to beat Germany and beat France only for the riots it would have cause all over the country grin grin

France for Africans cool

1 Like

Re: 2014 World Cup: 25 French-born Players Play AGAINST France! by onyeomaonyeoma(m): 6:39am On Aug 15, 2014
Karim Benzema" if am scoring and playing well am a French man bur wen am under performing am an Arab"

3 Likes

Re: 2014 World Cup: 25 French-born Players Play AGAINST France! by Nobody: 5:48pm On Aug 17, 2014
Re: 2014 World Cup: 25 French-born Players Play AGAINST France! by Fulaman198(m): 6:16pm On Aug 17, 2014
onyeomaonyeoma: Karim Benzema" if am scoring and playing well am a French man bur wen am under performing am an Arab"

Yeah the French look down on the West Africans and North Africans that live there. Majority of Africans living in France are from those two regions.
Re: 2014 World Cup: 25 French-born Players Play AGAINST France! by ArtanK(m): 2:41pm On Sep 04, 2014
I know it's a bit late but WE WON grin grin

Come at us brah!

2 Likes

Re: 2014 World Cup: 25 French-born Players Play AGAINST France! by Nobody: 7:36pm On Sep 04, 2014
Re: 2014 World Cup: 25 French-born Players Play AGAINST France! by ArtanK(m): 7:51pm On Sep 04, 2014
And there were 5 German-American players in the US team. What can I say, Germans bring excellence everywhere grin

1 Like

Re: 2014 World Cup: 25 French-born Players Play AGAINST France! by Nobody: 8:15pm On Sep 04, 2014
ArtanK: And there were 5 German-American players in the US team. What can I say, Germans bring excellence everywhere grin

Lol stop bragging! I gotta say I was impressed with Holland too.

Yh, NL was hacked. Something like six months of data was lost, and it reset everyone's account to January. Your account might've actually undeactivated.
Re: 2014 World Cup: 25 French-born Players Play AGAINST France! by ArtanK(m): 8:36pm On Sep 04, 2014
EnlightenedSoul:

Lol stop bragging! I gotta say I was impressed with Holland too.

Yh, NL crashed. Something like six months of data was lost, and it reset everyone's account to January. Your account might've actually undeactivated.

The Dutch always disappoint in the later stages, they went all the way to the final and lost it four years ago but I hear people ditched American football went world cup mad in your country which is good. cheesy

So the hackers only wanted to delete NL history undecided that's weird and no wonder why my account is still active, I noticed after I made this one but I can't recover it. I changed the password to gibberish then deactivated it plus I can't recover the email I signed up with either. Did all of that so I wouldn't sign in and waste time lol. Life of a procrastinator tongue
Re: 2014 World Cup: 25 French-born Players Play AGAINST France! by Nobody: 8:57pm On Sep 04, 2014
ArtanK:

The Dutch always disappoint in the later stages, they went all the way to the final and lost it four years ago but I hear people ditched American football went world cup mad in your country which is good. cheesy

So the hackers only wanted to delete NL history undecided that's weird and no wonder why my account is still active, I noticed after I made this one but I can't recover it. I changed the password to gibberish then deactivated it plus I can't recover the email I signed up with either. Did all of that so I wouldn't sign in and waste time lol. Life of a procrastinator tongue

Yh, I suppose you could say that. I don't think it can ever take the place of American Football in our hearts tho tongue

Walaal, you don't have to prove a thing. I'm just a born skeptic. I get you, I can be a bit of a procrastinator myself sometimes lol

1 Like

Re: 2014 World Cup: 25 French-born Players Play AGAINST France! by ArtanK(m): 9:10pm On Sep 04, 2014
EnlightenedSoul:

Yh, I suppose you could say that. I don't think it can ever take the place of American Football in our hearts tho tongue

Walaal, you don't have to prove a thing. I'm just a born skeptic. I get you, I can be a bit of a procrastinator myself sometimes too lol

hand-oval-shaped-ball* that's what it should be called tongue

I'm glad the interrogation is over lol. I don't want to add to your suspicion but I'm banned from most of the sub forums for a week undecided perhaps Fulaman can tell me why.
Re: 2014 World Cup: 25 French-born Players Play AGAINST France! by Fulaman198(m): 9:13pm On Sep 04, 2014
ArtanK:

I'm glad the interrogation is over lol. I don't want to add to your suspicion but I'm banned from most of the sub forums for a week undecided perhaps Fulaman can tell me why.

I'm not too sure why you are banned. I think it is a security measure.
Re: 2014 World Cup: 25 French-born Players Play AGAINST France! by Nobody: 9:19pm On Sep 04, 2014
ArtanK:

Blasphemy! shocked

That was no damn interrogation tongue And you're not off the spot just yet so you know embarassed

1 Like

Re: 2014 World Cup: 25 French-born Players Play AGAINST France! by adamskutty(m): 9:28pm On Sep 04, 2014
ArtanK:

could this be mallam yusuf12 ? grin
Re: 2014 World Cup: 25 French-born Players Play AGAINST France! by ArtanK(m): 9:29pm On Sep 04, 2014
Fulaman198:

I'm not too sure why you are banned. I think it is a security measure.

True, I guess it's for all those ad-bots.

EnlightenedSoul:
Blasphemy! shocked
That was no damn interrogation tongue And you're not off the spot just yet so you know embarassed

I would have bet money on you being more of a basketball fan than an American football fan, don't ask why.

I think I'll have to call my attorney for the remainder of this conversation tongue
How have you been though?
Re: 2014 World Cup: 25 French-born Players Play AGAINST France! by ArtanK(m): 9:33pm On Sep 04, 2014
adamskutty: could this be mallam yusuf12 ? grin

Yes it is me. I hope you are well my friend smiley
Re: 2014 World Cup: 25 French-born Players Play AGAINST France! by adamskutty(m): 9:36pm On Sep 04, 2014
ArtanK:

Yes it is me. I hope you are well my friend smiley
welcome back bro, we all missed u.

1 Like

Re: 2014 World Cup: 25 French-born Players Play AGAINST France! by Nobody: 9:36pm On Sep 04, 2014
ArtanK:

I would have bet money on you being more of a basketball fan than an American football fan, don't ask why.

I think I'll have to call my attorney for the remainder of this conversation tongue
How have you been though?

Gr8 now I have to ask lol.
Alright alright, I'll rest my case tongue I've been good tho wallahi. How're you?
Re: 2014 World Cup: 25 French-born Players Play AGAINST France! by adamskutty(m): 9:38pm On Sep 04, 2014
enlightenedsoul won't u throw a party? yusuf is back grin
Re: 2014 World Cup: 25 French-born Players Play AGAINST France! by Nobody: 9:48pm On Sep 04, 2014
adamskutty: enlightenedsoul won't u throw a party? yusuf is back grin

Nah, no party haha. I'm glad he's back, but he didn't even bother to say goodbye undecided lol!

Besides, how are you so sure?

1 Like

Re: 2014 World Cup: 25 French-born Players Play AGAINST France! by ArtanK(m): 9:57pm On Sep 04, 2014
EnlightenedSoul:

Gr8 now I have to ask lol.
Alright alright, I'll rest my case tongue I've been good tho wallahi. How're you?

Idk, you just seem like one lol don't ask how grin

Wallahi I'm good too walal tongue

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Football Betting System For The New English Season 2016. / The Best Premier League XI Vs The Best La Liga XI On FIFA 18 / How To Become A Betking Agent Anywhere In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.