Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,769 members, 7,824,231 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:48 AM

NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister (12983 Views)

Why Nigeria Can't Win Lassa Fever Battle As Ebola - Health Minister / Good News!! Four More Ebola Patients Discharged – Health Minister / First Nigerian Ebola Survivor Not Treated With "Nano Silver" - Health Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by duniyazola: 11:23pm On Jul 04, 2014
The Federal Government on Friday expressed optimism that the ongoing strike
action by the Nigerian Medical Association would be called of on Monday (next
week) at the end of the association’s Emergency Delegates Meeting.
“I also want to remind all health workers that the ethics of their professions
dictates that at all times emergency care must not be denied to those that
need them. I thank you all,” the Minister of Health, Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu,
stated during a press briefing in Abuja to convey government’s update on the
strike.
While describing the strike as “unnecessary,” he said “almost all the issues in
contention were either issues that had been satisfactorily resolved or issues
that could be treated merely through administrative mechanism.”
Chukwu said he had expected the NMA to respond and attend to all emergency
cases in public hospitals “in the spirit of this understanding.” http://www.punchng.com/news/nma-strike-ends-on-monday-says-health-minister/
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by duniyazola: 11:28pm On Jul 04, 2014
hopefully so
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Gozzzy(m): 11:30pm On Jul 04, 2014
Guy, why naa?? Thought the consultant nurses and lab people, are equal to the task of effective hospital running?

26 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by riskit33: 4:14am On Jul 05, 2014
Gozzzy: Guy, why naa?? Thought the consultant nurses and lab people, are equal to the task of effective hospital running?

so what's your point now? Typical egocentric physician.

16 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Nobody: 4:15am On Jul 05, 2014
Too many strikes by the NMA. it has lost its flavor. Even if what they are fighting for is right, strike action shouldn't be the first thing on the agenda.

6 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by cnwamo(m): 4:19am On Jul 05, 2014
Gozzzy: Guy, why naa?? Thought the consultant nurses and lab people, are equal to the task of effective hospital running?
Sometimes its wiser to keep shut.
Just saying...

3 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by CircleOfWilis: 4:28am On Jul 05, 2014
we dey watch
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by duniyazola: 4:37am On Jul 05, 2014
annoymous: Too many strikes by the NMA. it has lost its flavor. Even if what they are fighting for is right, strike action shouldn't be the first thing on the agenda.
suggest how best union should go about stuffs lyk dis

8 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by duniyazola: 4:39am On Jul 05, 2014
this sims to be a good news, let's have it on front page plis
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by drkay(m): 4:44am On Jul 05, 2014
Honestly I think he's right in that aspect and I knw some centres that still manage stabilise their patients before they "bounce" them to good private centres where they can access proper care. I still connect to my patients on admission tru the nurses on the ward. I wish the leadership of NMA put this into consideration when nxt we want to go on strike cos I blv we are fighting the govt not our people.

7 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Nobody: 4:55am On Jul 05, 2014
I tot JOHESU said doctors don't do anything.... sack them so that JOHESU can take over...bloody nonsence

5 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by duniyazola: 4:58am On Jul 05, 2014
drkay: Honestly I think he's right in that aspect and I knw some centres that still manage stabilise their patients before they "bounce" them to good private centres where they can access proper care. I still connect to my patients on admission tru the nurses on the ward. I wish the leadership of NMA put this into consideration when nxt we want to go on strike cos I blv we are fighting the govt not our people.
well said
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by dalhat14(m): 5:04am On Jul 05, 2014
This is purely government propaganda, agreements reached months ago are yet to be fulfilled, ministers don't call off strikes, associations do, the government is purely to blame for this industrial action as enough time was given as notice

4 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by barika2011(m): 5:13am On Jul 05, 2014
Just see your sense..mumu..look at the way u address efficient and hard working medical lab scientist,pharmacist and nurses...'lab people'..without this people a doctors practice is zero..if they go on strike even d doctors will go home to stay,cos not even registration of patients would take place,cos all medical files of the hospital wud b dumped on the shelves,...then we can start from there....

9 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Jayloy: 5:30am On Jul 05, 2014
Talk is cheap
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by dalhat14(m): 5:34am On Jul 05, 2014
barika2011:
Just see your sense..mumu..look at the way u address efficient and hard working medical lab scientist,pharmacist and nurses...'lab people'..without this people a doctors practice is zero..if they go on strike even d doctors will go home to stay,cos not even registration of patients would take place,cos all medical files of the hospital wud b dumped on the shelves,...then we can start from there....
when doctors go on strike, they withdraw their services ie their brains and hands, but when these people u mentioned go on strike, they lock doors and hide equipments, and another correction, doctors don't go home to sit when others go on strike

27 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Nobody: 5:40am On Jul 05, 2014
Professor Onyebuchi Chukwu, biting the hand that fed you.

2 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Lagusta(m): 5:51am On Jul 05, 2014
dalhat14:
when doctors go on strike, they withdraw their services ie their brains and hands, but when these people u mentioned go on strike, they lock doors and hide equipments, and another correction, doctors don't go home to sit when others go on strike
my broda, plss tell them ooo, bunch of hypocrites.....

8 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Tytto(f): 6:21am On Jul 05, 2014
If not for the Nigerian government that is over celebrating them, release them all to go to the western world and let see who certificates are more recognise. Let see who will first get employed, is it the "Nurses" or "the Nigerian over- hype doctors".

7 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by DesChyko: 6:24am On Jul 05, 2014
Funny he could describe the issues as mere whims. For all his position and 'Prof' tag, he still couldn't settle the issues before they went AWOL.

2 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Nobody: 6:30am On Jul 05, 2014
annoymous: Too many strikes by the NMA. it has lost its flavor. Even if what they are fighting for is right, strike action shouldn't be the first thing on the agenda.
kindly name the months and years NMA embarked on strikes that made it "too many"?

2 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Nobody: 6:30am On Jul 05, 2014
Hahahahahahaha.....We are now knowing who is important and who is not. next time johesu goes on strike, they should not dare touch government property.
Was at the hospital yesterday morning to do some referrals, one of the nurses walked up to me and said "Ozie, this thing your NMA is doing is not good, most of this patients are dying and there is nothing we can do. Their blood is on NMA head"

8 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by lomaxx: 6:35am On Jul 05, 2014
Tytto: If not for the Nigerian government that is over celebrating them, release them all to go to the western world and let see who certificates are more recognise. Let see who will first get employed, is it the "Nurses" or "the Nigerian over- hype doctors".

"Let's see whose certificate will be better recognized"

"Let's see who will get employed before the other"

You think you will carry rubbish grammar to go to the western world and they will clap for you ? After committing these unforgivable errors in simple English language, don't you think the "western people" will question your more employable nursing skill ?

In case you were not aware, over 25% of physicians practicing in the US are IMGs. And the number is expected to increase over the years owing to an expected physician shortage. Go to the website of the American Medical Association to see things for yourself. Nigerian doctors are taking advantage of the opportunity in their droves. I know a good number that dumped this thing you are doing in this country to where they fit better. Go to Australia, South Africa, Cuba, China, Germany - you'll find Nigerian doctors all over.

You should rather be worried. Instead you're here having false hope. When we all leave who will treat your uncles, aunties, parents, siblings, and villagers?? Abi when you carry your employable nursing degree to the west, you will carry your village also?

Rubbish!!!

24 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by jauntty: 6:43am On Jul 05, 2014
We hope the strike end soon.......However, I do not like the way FG is handling this matter. This is not just NMA vs FG , neither is it JOHESU vs FG, Its more of NMA vs JOHESU vs FG, and any solution that doesn't bring these 3 groups to a round table might not be long lasting. E.g. If FG agrees with NMA and stop Consultancy status for others, JOHESU will declare their own Strike. My advice is that we should avoid these sentimental and myopic views about these issues and ask our selves this question : What is the healthcare system and structures like in developed countries This should guild us in resolving this issues. Nigeria is not an island of its own.

11 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by sigmundfreud(m): 6:54am On Jul 05, 2014
These days...I don't believe anything I hear from the government.

2 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Patdedon(m): 6:55am On Jul 05, 2014
The average Nigerian doctor is egocentric. Just like the man said, NMA should call off the senseless strike ASAP.

Just wondering what it'd look like if Engineers should embark on a 1week strike...

4 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Tytto(f): 6:56am On Jul 05, 2014
lomaxx:

"Let's see whose certificate will be better recognized"

"Let's see who will get employed before the other"

You think you will carry rubbish grammar to go to the western world and they will clap for you ? After committing these unforgivable errors in simple English language, don't you think the "western people" will question your more employable nursing skill ?

In case you were not aware, over 25% of physicians practicing in the US are IMGs. And the number is expected to increase over the years owing to an expected physician shortage. Go to the website of the American Medical Association to see things for yourself. Nigerian doctors are taking advantage of the opportunity in their droves. I know a good number that dumped this thing you are doing in this country to where they fit better. Go to Australia, South Africa, Cuba, China, Germany - you'll find Nigerian doctors all over.

You should rather be worried. Instead you're here having false hope. When we all leave who will treat your uncles, aunties, parents, siblings, and villagers?? Abi when you carry your employable nursing degree to the west, you will carry your village also?

Rubbish!!!

Will i take my village along? That 25% you are talking about did they carry their own villages along too?. That your 25% also, how long did it take them to be tru for employment there or where they gatemen for some time? but i can realistically tell you that as at today, if a nurse get there today based on the syllabus here by next week they would start working minus carrying a Nigeria over celebrated certificate that would get you outside to be a gateman or at least 3-4 years before you could be fit to practise. GENTLEMAN, we are not fighting all we are saying is that we should be focused on our patients than becoming a tyrants to other health team members.

8 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by lomaxx: 7:07am On Jul 05, 2014
Tytto: Will i take my village along? That 25% you are talking about did they carry their own villages along too?. That your 25% also, how long did it take them to be tru for employment there or where they gatemen for some time? but i can realistically tell you that as at today, if a nurse get there today based on the syllabus here by next week they would start working minus carrying a Nigeria over celebrated certificate that would get you outside to be a gateman or at least 3-4 years before you could be fit to practise. GENTLEMAN, we are not fighting all we are saying is that we should be focused on our patients than becoming a tyrants to other health team members.

Let me educate you on the mechanics of practicing medicine in the US. As a doctor, you don't pounce on any healthcare system in any country of the world with your degree. You have to write licensing exams. Don't you nurses write licensing exams before you practice over there? Abi you just bounce in there with your papers and they hand the job to you?

So all I need to do is write the steps, pass with good scores, get some clinical experience via observerships or externships and write a very strong personal statement about my choice of specialty - with God on my side I'm in.

Please desist from thinking that I have to be a cleaner or a gateman for 3 years before I match. That is a very erroneous and flawed thinking. I wonder where you got that from. It is not practicable at all. The hospital that employs you will most likely sponsor your visa. So you mean after employing me as a resident, I'll go there and start washing Obama's boxers?

19 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Nobody: 7:15am On Jul 05, 2014
Perhaps you are not well educated enough to know that professional courses are very well controlled. If a Nigerian doctor,Engr,lawyer,architect etc leaves Nigeria to practice,he usually needs to obtain license in that country to practice. Obtaining a professional license usually involves writing a series of exams in that country. This doesn't mean you're not a quality professional. It is a way to maintain standards of the profession and ensure you understand the ethics of the profession in the country you're immigrating to. Professionals are very well paid abroad unlike in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by riskit33: 7:18am On Jul 05, 2014
Tytto: If not for the Nigerian government that is over celebrating them, release them all to go to the western world and let see who certificates are more recognise. Let see who will first get employed, is it the "Nurses" or "the Nigerian over- hype doctors".

true talk
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Nobody: 7:39am On Jul 05, 2014
dalhat14:

The last time there was a strike in FMC- owerri. Resident doctors chased out patients from all the wards. It is on record Sir!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Prostate shrinking herbs very effective with rapid recovery / Cure To Mastibation (solutions) / Five Mistakes That Can Wreck A Healthy Diet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.