Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,910 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:02 PM

NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister (12964 Views)

Why Nigeria Can't Win Lassa Fever Battle As Ebola - Health Minister / Good News!! Four More Ebola Patients Discharged – Health Minister / First Nigerian Ebola Survivor Not Treated With "Nano Silver" - Health Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Amazondepth(m): 5:33pm On Jul 05, 2014
An undisputable fact of life is that a chain of authority must exist for any institution to function maximally and in an environment devoid of chaos.d deliberate misinformation peddled by johesuites to systematically encroach upon spaces professionally and traditionally a preserve of d medical doctors is a very very sad and dangerous trend.at d receiving end of all this is d unsuspecting patients.everybody shld improve himself within his or her professional space and stop putting politics ahead of patients lives.i hope for all concerned there shld be a final resolution of all these unnecessary union agitations and everybody shld go back to work.finally if u envy d place of a doctor in d hospitals and want it badly just go to medical school shikena.

2 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jul 05, 2014
Tytto: Will i take my village along? That 25% you are talking about did they carry their own villages along too?. That your 25% also, how long did it take them to be tru for employment there or where they gatemen for some time? but i can realistically tell you that as at today, if a nurse get there today based on the syllabus here by next week they would start working minus carrying a Nigeria over celebrated certificate that would get you outside to be a gateman or at least 3-4 years before you could be fit to practise. GENTLEMAN, we are not fighting all we are saying is that we should be focused on our patients than becoming a tyrants to other health team members.
na jelosi go kill una. go read medicine and become consultant bro.stop this ur parayan

1 Like

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by iiiyyyk(m): 5:53pm On Jul 05, 2014
While describing the strike as “unnecessary,”
he said “almost all the issues in
contention were either issues that had been
satisfactorily resolved or issues
that could be treated merely through
administrative mechanism.”
Chukwu said.

the health minister, for once tried to be sincere.
Actually, the strick was selfish, childish and unnecessary.
It shows how the NmA is desperately against other health professions.
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jul 05, 2014
Leopantro:

okay, let me call you out here.

I'm a doctor in that hospital.
1 . FMC owerri has two photocopying centers, the ARD common room and the IT center. the IT center has three photocopying machines and it's a business center which opens from 9am to 6pm and is still running as up this morning.

2. the photocopying center in the ARD common is run and serviced by the ARD. however, anyone can photocopy in the center. because it is in the ARD common room, non doctors are asked not to enter the common but to pass their request through the window to the sales girl to photocopy. this arose because lab technicians use to sit in that common room and meet their patients there, making the patient assume they were doctors as well. Nurses, patients and other health workers photocopy in the ARD center because it is cheaper.

3. the Alvan college of technology is next door an da strolling distance to the FMC and there are so many business centers in that school

4. Soldiers have NEVER, EVER beat up any doctor in that center, at least over the past 3 years . during the last strike the state director of the SSS mediated and over the crisis in that hospital.

5. it was the " notorious doctors" as you call them that revolted against the management of that hospital that eventually got the management to pay back a deduction that was made from all staffs in that hospital that took 7 months to pay back.

you can lie sometimes but not all the time.

Oh..it's no longer about your aunt.

Anyway 'your IT center' must be a new development then.
The last time i was there your doctors' photocopy centre was the only functional biz centre.
Anybody you ask about a biz centre will point you towards that Doctors photocopy centre when you get there you hear the secretaries tell you 'we only photocopy for doctors', of course Alvan COED was on strike then with students demonstrating so the only option was warehouse, 30 mins away.
This is a personal experience from a patient's relative perspective. I don't work there.

You are even proud to mention that u have just 2 biz centres in a federal hospital in capital Owerri. FMC nassarawa and ebonyi has more than that, in LuTH photocopy operators rush you when they see papers in your hands and patients don't get to hear 'we only photocopy for doctors'.

About 2 years ago, FMC Doctors lackadaisical attitude and lack of empathy caused the death of a Military officer's relative. He brought in soldiers and beat up anyone on wardcoat ask your senior colleagues. My friend and classmate in labcoat was mistaken for a doc, got some of the koboko.

That hospital is very corrupt and leaves a very bitter taste in mouth of patients. In fact if that is the only hospital in Nigeria, trado-medical practitioners will be billionaires overnight.
Do you mind educating the public about the SSS issue?

You guys there deserve every BS you get from the FG. FMC-owerri is a killing field. It needs an overhaul.

I'm not speaking as a Scientist or Johesu rep but from a patients/relatives perspective.

FG should X-ray the goings-on in there and kick everyone out.
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by iiiyyyk(m): 6:20pm On Jul 05, 2014
picardor2k: na jelosi go kill una. go read medicine and become consultant bro.stop this ur parayan

Grow up, one of those Dr with skewed sense of reasoning.
Pls learn
To be a nurse consultant, study nursing.
To be physio consultant, stuy physiotherapy.
To be a consultant in any aspect of optometry, study optometry.
To be a consultant in any aspect of phamacy, study phamacy.
Like wise,
To be a consultant in any aspect of medicine, study medicine
very simply.
Why then is NmA stoping others from reaching the peak of their chosen field.

2 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Lagusta(m): 6:26pm On Jul 05, 2014
SAPEDRO:
it's you who should get yours right. sir, even though there are consultants in that field, but that's what nurse anaesthetists are extensively trained for . in a typical hospital setting say an orthopedic department there's no need to involve a consultant anaesthetist who might not even be available, cos you already have a professional who can handle dat in ur department, which is exactly what people are clamoring for, that the health system is supposed to be a form of team work.
the major problem is dat medical doctors are overrated in this country so why won't they be holding the government to ransom time and time again

please take ur time to Google this fact out and see that a nurse anaesthetist. earns more than some medical doctors in the united state
my God!!! Why am i arguing with you This is what i've seen for good three years in my clinical courses, especially the surgical ones... And you even said nurses are paid more than doctors.... Laughing in yugoslavian i swear!!! Please just type "the highest paid professionals in the USA" and see the result for yourself.... Chaaaaaaiiiiii, ignorance is really a disease
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by ziga: 6:30pm On Jul 05, 2014
SAPEDRO:
it's you who should get yours right. sir, even though there are consultants in that field, but that's what nurse anaesthetists are extensively trained for . in a typical hospital setting say an orthopedic department there's no need to involve a consultant anaesthetist who might not even be available, cos you already have a professional who can handle dat in ur department, which is exactly what people are clamoring for, that the health system is supposed to be a form of team work.
the major problem is dat medical doctors are overrated in this country so why won't they be holding the government to ransom time and time again

please take ur time to Google this fact out and see that a nurse anaesthetist. earns more than some medical doctors in the united state

They don't!!!

They earn a lot more than other nurses but they do NOT earn more than Docs do.

Well... Maybe Residents. They sure earn more than residents.
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Tytto(f): 6:38pm On Jul 05, 2014
picardor2k: na jelosi go kill una. go read medicine and become consultant bro.stop this ur parayan
Did you really had to jump and quote me without knowing what we were talking about?
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Tytto(f): 6:43pm On Jul 05, 2014
armadeo:

Men the war for your house go reach ww1
My dear, its more like world war3. Of course am always quick to remind the guys that they were trained with JOHESU money to belong to NMA. that always silence them for some hours..... and then the war starts again.
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by femyodsky(m): 6:57pm On Jul 05, 2014
barika2011:
Just see your sense..mumu..look at the way u address efficient and hard working medical lab scientist,pharmacist and nurses...'lab people'..without this people a doctors practice is zero..if they go on strike even d doctors will go home to stay,cos not even registration of patients would take place,cos all medical files of the hospital wud b dumped on the shelves,...then we can start from there....

That's one of the biggest lies from the realm of darkness. The last time JOHESU were on strike, doctors were still seeing patients with temporary case notes opened for them.

1 Like

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Leopantro: 7:00pm On Jul 05, 2014
YourHealthlabs:

Oh..it's no longer about your aunt.

Anyway 'your IT center' must be a new development then.
The last time i was there your doctors' photocopy centre was the only functional biz centre.
Anybody you ask about a biz centre will point you towards that Doctors photocopy centre when you get there you hear the secretaries tell you 'we only photocopy for doctors', of course Alvan COED was on strike then with students demonstrating so the only option was warehouse, 30 mins away.
This is a personal experience from a patient's relative perspective. I don't work there.

You are even proud to mention that u have just 2 biz centres in a federal hospital in capital Owerri. FMC nassarawa and ebonyi has more than that and patients don't get to hear 'we only photocopy for doctors'

About 2 years ago, FMC Doctors lackadaisical attitude and lack of empathy caused the death of a Military officer's relative. He brought in soldiers and beat up anyone on wardcoat ask your senior colleagues. My friend and classmate in labcoat was mistaken for a doc, got some of the koboko.

That hospital is very corrupt and leaves a very bitter taste in mouth of patients. In fact if that is the only hospital in Nigeria, trado-medical practitioners will be billionaires overnight.
Could you mind educating the public about the SSS issue?

You guys there deserve every BS you get from the FG. FMC-owerri is a killing field. It needs an overhaul.

I'm not speaking as a Scientist or Johesu rep but from a patients/relatives perspective.

FG should X-ray the goings-on in there and kick everyone out.

" the last time you were there?" Dude, that IT center was working in 2011.
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by dalhat14(m): 7:56pm On Jul 05, 2014
SAPEDRO:

anaesthetists generally in the US are highly paid, the highest paid professional in the US is infact the physician anaesthetist(doctor)- this is a verifiable fact. This is as a result of legal issues that might be involved in the practice of Anaesthesia especially in d advanced world, so it's no surprise that the nurse anaesthetists are highly paid in the US
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jul 05, 2014
Lagusta: my God!!! Why am i arguing with you This is what i've seen for good three years in my clinical courses, especially the surgical ones... And you even said nurses are paid more than doctors.... Laughing in yugoslavian i swear!!! Please just type "the highest paid professionals in the USA" and see the result for yourself.... Chaaaaaaiiiiii, ignorance is really a disease

Google that yourself and post it here,since you are the one that wants to prove me wrong,mind you,i am not talking about the Nigeria system
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by dalhat14(m): 8:09pm On Jul 05, 2014
biomedixexcel: So if they don't lock it up, can you work Your answer would be YES!! but I don't blame you cos this thing can only happen in an insane environment!
I've got my brains, that's what I majorly need to work, with a prescription paper, I can see my patients and document on a continuation sheet, patients have their hand cards with numbers so the sheets would not get lost, drugs would be bought from pharmacies just facing the hospital gate, the buildings don't belong to johesu so no 1 has d right to lock up the place while on strike, just withdraw your services if u think u are indispensable

1 Like

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Lagusta(m): 8:13pm On Jul 05, 2014
SAPEDRO:
Google that yourself and post it here,since you are the one that wants to prove me wrong,mind you,i am not talking about the Nigeria system
ok bros, give me one minute
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by dalhat14(m): 8:18pm On Jul 05, 2014
SAPEDRO:
there really is no basis for argument here sir, the doctor anaesthetist in the US are the highest paid professionals, nurse anaesthetists are also well paid, the reasons are obvious, legal issues abound in Anaesthesia
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by ebera(f): 8:28pm On Jul 05, 2014
Just for the sake of those that needs enlightenment; I stumbled on the functions of a CMD of a hospital.

''The Chief Medical Director is the
Hospital’s Chief Executive and in that
capacity has responsibility for the day-to-
day management of the entire hospital
under the broad direction of the Board of
Management. The Chief Medical Director
in addition directs responsibility for key
Departments like Accounts and Finance,
Internal Audit, Information and
Communication Technology Unit
(ICT), SERVICOM, Public
Relations, Engineering, Planning,
Security Services. Stores & Supplies, Staff
development, as well as relationship with
external bodies. The statutory role of the
Chief Medical Director is that of an over-
all coordinator of the entire functions of
the hospital. Each Director may be
ascribed specific responsibility for a group
of activities, The Chief Medical Director
has global responsibility even for the
functions assigned to the various
directors.'
Source:Oauthc.com/cmdoffice.aspx
I rest my case.....
So, why will doctors usurp thid power when it is purely administrative.mtchewwww
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by CircleOfWilis: 9:58pm On Jul 05, 2014
femyodsky:

That's one of the biggest lies from the realm of darkness. The last time JOHESU were on strike, doctors were still seeing patients with temporary case notes opened for them.
when drs r on strike thy go with thr knowledge and skills,wen johesu are on strike thy lock up evrywhr n run with the keys.

2 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Nobody: 10:07pm On Jul 05, 2014
dalhat14:
there really is no basis for argument here sir, the doctor anaesthetist in the US are the highest paid professionals, nurse anaesthetists are also well paid, the reasons are obvious, legal issues abound in Anaesthesia

Well stated, but Why then do doctors in naija refer to them as illiterates, artisans, glorified technicians. as evident on this thread?
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Nobody: 10:33pm On Jul 05, 2014
iiiyyyk:

Grow up, one of those Dr with skewed sense of reasoning.
Pls learn
To be a nurse consultant, study nursing.
To be physio consultant, stuy physiotherapy.
To be a consultant in any aspect of optometry, study optometry.
To be a consultant in any aspect of phamacy, study phamacy.
Like wise,
To be a consultant in any aspect of medicine, study medicine
very simply.
Why then is NmA stoping others from reaching the peak of their chosen field.

childish talk

1 Like

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by chucs: 10:56pm On Jul 05, 2014
[quote author=Waspy][/quote]
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by chucs: 11:31pm On Jul 05, 2014
sainty2k3:
Need not be irritated, u can Google the role of a nurse in hospital settings, the final decision making in patient management lies on the doctor hence the strict curriculum for practicing license
and what did u read as the role of nurses sir?
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Elythron16zero4: 11:32pm On Jul 05, 2014
Quelme: please don't mind those overrated physicians.
I am a pharm but u see i think everyone is important in the health system. The doctors have forgotten that they use drugs to treat patients or does their training include drug productions. If in the World today all pharms stop producing drugs, what alternative is left with the doctors to use? Herbs? when they are not native doctors. come to think of it if all us studies medicine and become doctors, who will be the other things including the patients. On a lighter note; if all patients should go on strike by refusing to go to the hospitals which is not possible medical doctors may become vet. doctors if that happens grin grin.that's to show that even the patients who don't work in the hospitals are equally important(least to say other health workers) because without them doctors won't treat animals/trees after all . please, lets respect other peoples professions while we all know our limits. sometimes i am tempted to pick up DE form and enroll for medicine because of the way our doctors are over-celebrated here as if other professions are not relevant. May be i will consider that option if all this hullabaloo continues grin grin

1 Like

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by dalhat14(m): 11:44pm On Jul 05, 2014
SAPEDRO:
Well stated, but Why then do doctors in naija refer to them as illiterates, artisans, glorified technicians. as evident on this thread?
well, I'm a doctor and have never referred to them as illiterates, I'm infact an anaesthetist and I can tell u that the physician has d final say and the nurse anaesthetists takes instructions from the doctor, so the facts shouldn't be mixed up here
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Elythron16zero4: 12:15am On Jul 06, 2014
Leopantro:

okay, let me call you out here.

I'm a doctor in that hospital.
1 . FMC owerri has two photocopying centers, the ARD common room and the IT center. the IT center has three photocopying machines and it's a business center which opens from 9am to 6pm and is still running as up this morning.

2. the photocopying center in the ARD common is run and serviced by the ARD. however, anyone can photocopy in the center. because it is in the ARD common room, non doctors are asked not to enter the common but to pass their request through the window to the sales girl to photocopy. this arose because lab technicians use to sit in that common room and meet their patients there, making the patient assume they were doctors as well. Nurses, patients and other health workers photocopy in the ARD center because it is cheaper.

3. the Alvan college of technology is next door an da strolling distance to the FMC and there are so many business centers in that school

4. Soldiers have NEVER, EVER beat up any doctor in that center, at least over the past 3 years . during the last strike the state director of the SSS mediated and over the crisis in that hospital.

5. it was the " notorious doctors" as you call them that revolted against the management of that hospital that eventually got the management to pay back a deduction that was made from all [b]staffs [/b]in that hospital that took 7 months to pay back.

you can lie sometimes but not all the time.
@bolded staff sir not staffs
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Franklinus: 12:53am On Jul 06, 2014
Classic Meds: MEDICAL TEAM? SOMETIMES I BEG TO DIFFER… http://classicmeds..com/2014/07/medical-team-sometimes-i-beg-to-differ.html?spref=tw
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by iiiyyyk(m): 7:08am On Jul 06, 2014
picardor2k: childish talk

My brother bring out your strong points. There is nothing childish in health professipnals becoming consultants in their chosen fields.
After all, we have management consultant, engineering consultant.

The problem with nigeria phisicians is their overbloated ego, struting around as if they know every thing about every thing.
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by sainty2k3(m): 8:45am On Jul 06, 2014
chucs: and what did u read as the role of nurses sir?
I
Ibelieve u can checknit up in Google urself, so it won't seems like am giving u a bias info
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by thegeneral84: 9:18am On Jul 06, 2014
YourHealthlabs:

Nobody feels threatened, you are the one who keeps showing anger, i put people like you in your place.

"Residency positions
If Questa had been trained in the United States, he likely would have been accepted for a residency position. Among doctors who went to medical school in the US, nearly 95 percent of those who apply for residencies get one". source--->

http://www.pri.org/stories/2011-04-14/foreign-trained-doctors-kept-out-practice-us

Now where does that leave the remaining "5%"?
It seems u have some difficulty understanding standing statistics. 95% of U.S- trained medical doctors can get a residency slot but there may still be enough residency slots left (after taking the 95 percent US doctors) to accommodate say 80 percent of IMGS. The remaining 5 percent US doctors that couldn't get a residency slot have nothing to do with the actual total number of residency slots available. They are mutually exclusive.
Also, remember that a higher number of US doctors getting residency slots may be purely a policy thing giving a particular quota to citizens to avoid immigrants taking over such a sensitive profession

1 Like

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by thegeneral84: 9:28am On Jul 06, 2014
Hopez456: I am one if those eagerly awaiting the call off of this strike, I am seriously sick. I am scared of self medication.
Pls don't joke with your health. U can visit a good private hospital before things get out of hand
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by thegeneral84: 9:46am On Jul 06, 2014
sigmundfreud:
Now that's barbaric and inhumane! When did doctors become touts?!
Don't be taken with the over-sensationalised statement. What usually happens during doctors' strikes is this : the doctors will inform the patients about the coming strike so that the patients would be aware that they will not be seen by doctors during the strike. The patients r given the option of staying or leaving during this period. Most patients opt to leave to private hospitals. The doctor then discharges the patient. Note- a patient can only leave the hospital when discharged formally by the doctor, so even when the patient opts to leave the hospital, the doctor will have to formally discharge him. The patient is told to make this decision because since only doctors can formally discharge a patient, a patient who decides to stay back can't change his mind during the strike because then there will be no doctor to discharge him and an attempt to leave the hospital would be stopped by the security. The JOHESU members would then sensationalise that act to mean that the doctors "chased" away patients. All this in a bid to score cheap points and garner public sympathy. I hope this explanation is ok.
P.s- patients can also leave the hospital without a doctors's discharge by DAMA (discharge against medical advice) but this has some adverse consequences with the patient and the hospital
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by thegeneral84: 10:00am On Jul 06, 2014
YourHealthlabs:

It happened, it's on record that FMC ARDs owerri docs are the most notorious physicians. Go find out why Soldiers invaded that hospital and beat up everybody in wardcoat and lab coats.

The only photocopy center there(they call it Doctors photocopy center) in that hospital does not offer services to non-doctors including patients. Only doctors are allowed to do photocopy there.

Infact Patients' relatives have to enter Keke napep to warehouse bus stop about 20mins(with go-slow) from there to go do photocopy and documentations before they can be attended to.
This is a first hand experience. Not 'dem say'.

I 'm sorry i don't empathize with FMC-owerri docs whenever they complain about salaries, Docs there are dreadful.

Some teaching hospitals or FMCs usually have a policy that no commercial/business center be in the hospital environment except a canteen. if the resident doctors in their own lounge decided to establish a computer centre to make things easy for it members, u should not begrudge them.
And FMC Owerri isn't the only hospital that does that. In NAUTH, Nnewi there is no single business center inside the hospital premises except the canteen. The only "luck" there is that just outside the hospital gate, there r a lot of business centers

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Return Of Bird Flu To Nigeria: Public Service Announcement / Japa: Federal Government Urges Universities To Produce More Doctors / Akin Abayomi Visits Site Of The New Ojo General Hospital

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.