Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,954 members, 7,952,840 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 05:10 AM

Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? (17180 Views)

Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have? / 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? / Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 10:06am On Apr 24, 2016
Superbrain:

My advise- take the MNC offer, explore it, do a Masters/PhD is you so wish and return to Academia if that is where your passion truly is. There is no "one size fits all" for decisions like this.

Thank you so much, that's in line with my plan.
My aim now is somehow academia in the diaspora
Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 10:09am On Apr 24, 2016
ladyF:
No be by multinational o, some MNCs operating in the country pay so little, before you even start to talk of the discrimination between nigerians and so called expats. Sha compare present and future salaries, career path, life balance, blah blah blah...

It's [size=15pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin
That's true. I had the privilege of working with one. There was no job security, and the politics was too much.
Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 10:12am On Apr 24, 2016
twoondei:
I opine you opt for the multinational corporation job. You'll build a lot of skills and so much will go into personal development and training. You'll be a better risk taker with sound team spirit.

A lecturing job makes you complacent, less challenged,less motivated, though it feeds you for the rest of your days.

What you can do is to pickup the multinational job, do a master's and a PhD . after an active experience in the corporate world, you still end it all in the university.

I Wish you the very best

I love your reasoning, gracias!!!

1 Like

Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by DeSepiero(m): 10:29am On Apr 24, 2016
Op, You should consider the one in which you would enjoy the most and which gives you room for self development.
Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 10:34am On Apr 24, 2016
Princeojua:
From what I read, bro go and lecture.
In a federal university you can be paid at least 200k including as allowee.
Students will want you to favor them with marks to pass, that's another Money. lets say 100 students want you to pass them at 3k each x 100= 300k. that's bonus for just one semester.
grin
Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by DeSepiero(m): 10:37am On Apr 24, 2016
egedem:
grin
This guy is bad ass...lol
Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 10:50am On Apr 24, 2016
DeSepiero:

This guy is bad ass...lol
I swear
Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by phoenix480(m): 11:45am On Apr 24, 2016
Mayflowa:

You can't be a billionaire by being an employee. You can't even be a multimillionaire until you are close to retirement. Only entrepreneurs become so.

If there exist any chance of you developing useful products, it is in lecturing and research. Who told u lecturers are not reach? Meet me to tutor u.

It's not likely to become a Billionaire as an Employee but not impossible. Many C-Level Executives are given shares of the Company which can be worth a lot.

I disagree though that you cannot be a multimillionaire as an Employee. There are many "employees" here in Nigeria with networth in the 8 figures (some 9 figures) in Real Estate and Shares.

I agree though that entrepreneurship offers better possibility of a fat bank balance.

1 Like

Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by DeSepiero(m): 11:51am On Apr 24, 2016
phoenix480:

It's not likely to become a Billionaire as an Employee but not impossible. Many C-Level Executives are given shares of the Company which can be worth a lot.

I disagree though that you cannot be a multimillionaire as an Employee. There are many "employees" here in Nigeria with networth in the 8 figures (some 9 figures) in Real Estate and Shares.

I agree though that entrepreneurship offers better possibility of a fat bank balance.

Some Entrepreneurs or CEOs are employees somewhere else. It boils down to owning multiple streams of income and growing them successfully.

1 Like

Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by ladyF(f): 12:36pm On Apr 24, 2016
Akdegreat:

That's true. I had the privilege of working with one. There was no job security, and the politics was too much.
I tell you! In some cases, I'll prefer to work for an indigenous company than some of this big names that have nothing concrete to offer.

1 Like

Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by Sman37(m): 1:33pm On Apr 24, 2016
EazyMoh:
Guy I take God beg you! whichever you chose, dash me the second option slot.
lol
Man how

1 Like

Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by Odunharry(m): 1:53pm On Apr 24, 2016
folahann:
I see lecturing job and first class on the same page everyday. Can't a 2nd Class upper student also put in for lecturing job?
lol.. nothing stops you from going into academics..
Do you think all lecturers made a first class?
Go for your masters then Ph.d if you really have the passion for teaching..

Goodluck

2 Likes

Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by pendragon35(m): 2:03pm On Apr 24, 2016
I have passion for teaching though its in our blood,jst praying to be a motivatinal and influential fellow one day.........Heaven hear my voice!!!

1 Like

Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 3:43pm On Apr 24, 2016
EazyMoh:
Guy I take God beg you! whichever you chose, dash me the second option slot.
No problem bro
That's funny though.
Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by Eljefe(m): 4:24pm On Apr 24, 2016
Princeojua:
Students will want you to favor them with marks to pass, that's another Money. lets say 100 students want you to pass them at 3k each x 100= 300k. that's bonus for just one semester.

People like you are one of the major problems we have in this country...its people like u that would sleep with girls for marks and collect money...ode

1 Like

Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by folahann(m): 4:28pm On Apr 24, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
oga most lecturers are second class ..at least I can talk for my then. Faculty of arts UNILAG the..in the whole faculty just 2 first class lecturers...second class ti take over!!!
As a B.Sc holder, I guess an M.A or M.Sc is ok.
Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by babyfaceafrica: 6:15pm On Apr 24, 2016
folahann:

As a B.Sc holder, I guess an M.A or M.Sc is ok.
yes..am going for one this year..UI ti take over

1 Like

Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by GBYB: 6:55pm On Apr 24, 2016
Princeojua:
Ha Haa, God please save this country.

1 Like

Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by judondasylva(m): 8:03pm On Apr 24, 2016
hmmmmmmmm may be I should go for lecturing job
Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by Mayflowa(m): 8:14pm On Apr 24, 2016
phoenix480:

grin Few things are actually impossible. I am talking on the average. How many people gets to rise to a point of owning share in their employers' firms. Trickles! It's even harder in engineering, u only gets to earn perks in financial services where employment is very volatile. I worked Briefly with zenithbank during my nysc. All the senior managers I know have been sacked!

Don't for once think oil companies guys are extremely rich? I have taught students who works from large to small oil firms. They just have enuf to spare for themselves and immediate family. Make Dem go pay sch fees na. Or don't you know their children to 3m/ year school while their total package is nothing more that 12m. I am talking about total and Mobil.

You will be surprised to note that oil firm employees are paid differently. One of my student started with 450k per month in Mobil. Do u know his expectation and responsibilities? Other graduates earn far less than engineers. Growth is damn slow in oil firm. They will burn you out and u will be lonely in your later life.

So which other multinationals? KPMG, pwc, Unilever? Hahahaha. You will be worked out. Only P&G staff can live even well there. Don't dream big pls as an Employee Esp in Nigeria. It's not easy to be rich. Having a 30 years payment plan property is not equivalent to millionaire bro. I have millions. I am no where near a millionaire. I dey Dodge! Check out owner of fast food joints like tantalizer, they make millions daily. Them dey hide sef.

Continuous sustainance is what we are taking about. Being able to donate millions, lose millions, Wear millions and exude millions. Very few employees does. Go check out their biography too!

1 Like

Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by Mayflowa(m): 8:25pm On Apr 24, 2016
Superbrain:

It depends. If you are in science or engineering and the MNC is related to same, take the MNC offer. Getting some job experience under your belt is great. In 2-4 years you can then proceed on a PhD and return to lecturing if you so wish. At that point, you would have a built a good network with other professionals and you would be more pragmatic in your approach to lecturing. Our university systems need people with real-world experiences and hands-on approach to academia.

On the other hand, you can take the job in a federal university and get involved with initiatives and external bodies that would help strengthen your knowledge base as you apply academic concepts to solving problems. This way you can build credibility within the system but be careful, it is easy to get stuck in the rot and current ways of doing things, not realising the world is bigger and has more to offer beyond your school system.

My advise- take the MNC offer, explore it, do a Masters/PhD is you so wish and return to Academia if that is where your passion truly is. There is no "one size fits all" for decisions like this.

Perfect! I have given out the sort of advice many times here. By the way, I am surprised to find out superbrain is still in Nigeria.

You know too much joor and u had interest to travel to US then. Did you changed ur mind?

I know u had do great anywhere you are. Bye friend
Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by Mayflowa(m): 8:35pm On Apr 24, 2016
otokx:

Don't mind mayflowa, he is probably not conversant with the real Nigeria.

There is a mix up here. I am in tune with Nigeria system. I work in Nigeria as we speak but I have had all my education abroad sometimes with two or more scholarships.

The problem is not just our educational system. It is us. Many lecturers do not have business being lecturers, they came in through the backdoor. Some are just book intelligent and lack vital info on success. They can't put up grant proposal for example! They don't even know anything happening in their field.

They just carry some old textbook, cram the formulae and pour out to students. That I'd the categories of lecturers you praise.

Nigeria government actually provides lots of research funds for universities that lecturers don't access to be fair. I have picked up so many!

We are the problem. Believe me!

3 Likes

Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by mickey45: 12:58am On Apr 25, 2016
Mayflowa:

grin . Go check out their biography too!

"You can't be a billionaire by being an employee. You can't even be a multimillionaire until you are close to retirement. Only entrepreneurs become so.

If there exist any chance of you developing useful products, it is in lecturing and research. Who told u lecturers are not rich? Meet me to tutor u"

2 Likes

Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by calcal: 6:02am On Apr 25, 2016
Lecturing jobs in Nigeria are for those that lacks imagination, if you are one of them go ahead. MNC jobs will open your eyes to the world of making money. Pastor Adeboye was once a lecturer..
Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by praxs(m): 8:46am On Apr 25, 2016
calcal:
Lecturing jobs in Nigeria are for those that lacks imagination, if you are one of them go ahead. MNC jobs will open your eyes to the world of making money. Pastor Adeboye was once a lecturer..
What is your reason 4 saying such
Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 9:39am On Apr 25, 2016
calcal:

To some extent you are right.
The problem is that in Nigeria, only a few lecturers are actually 'researchers'.
Then only few of these researchers are top-notch or world class.
Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by obaao(m): 7:58am On May 22, 2016
Sorry for late response. I will advise you go for federal electoral Job if only it is a permanent one than going to Shell Contract Job. Contract Jobs in Oil Companies are not as fantastic as people think. Mentioning one out of others: No other payment apart from your salary which is meagre to what it should be and can be laid of anytime. But for federal, you are good for anything.
Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by DeSepiero(m): 8:57pm On Jun 19, 2016
[b][/b] Insightful
Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by croSStodds(m): 2:55pm On Jun 20, 2016
afroxyz:
Are you going to be a staff/contract worker in the Multinational?

What are the career prospects in the MNC?

What us renumeration and packages and would you be paid off when they decide to lay off workers?

Start off as a lecturer, in the long run the MNC can hire you as a consultant which is way more that what you would be paid at the MNC. Besides lecturing affords you the opportunity to travel round the world.
The chance of getting hired as a consultant is very slim(1/100).Besides,you apparently don't seem to know much about what's going on in academia, that's one of the rationale for ASUU going on strike every now and then.The expenses for travelling aren't covered by any organization or the university body,you pay out of your own personal remunerations.So before you can afford flying abroad,you'll have to rise to the rank of at least a lecturer 1,this will ostensibly take you at least 13years,that's if you're lucky....
Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by croSStodds(m): 3:06pm On Jun 20, 2016
Blackkie:
If you need ''just'' the money MNC is the way to go.

But if you need a career and make an impact that will be felt, lecturing will be fine for you.
The funny thing is that due to the ''denial'' nature of many civil servants in Nigeria, many of our citizens are not aware of how juicy lecturing job is.
I know many lecturers go home with above N500,000 monthly, you work lesser hours and enjoy all holidays to the fullest. Getting grants for research and travelling around the world on the bill of government and donor agencies is at your disposal if you want.
Not only that, the exposure you get being a lecturer is far beyond what you get from MNC.

Many university dons have gone ahead to become commissioners, ministers, governors and heads of states, those from MNC who have hit this mark are fewer.
Above 500k?You'll have to reach the rank of a professor to have that as your monthly remuneration.I'm certain you aren't oblivious of the number of years it'll take you to rise to that zenithal point. Truth is,if you need money,don't go into lecturing at all...You're totally right about university dons getting ministerial jobs,but a person who also works in a multinational coys and gets actively involved in politics can get that too...
Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by hugochuks60(m): 5:34pm On Jun 21, 2017
Akdegreat:

Gradually I have come to realize that , just like you said , 'at the long run' it would pay.

if u know ur way it will pay u in d very shortest run oooo. quickly run n online masters n PhD n then u cool down write a very good book n publish it. do quick take 6momths leave n go to a private university (remember private university pays a lot higher than Federal) just go there n take up a part time job for 6months, oboy na serious money oooo., then u run back to ur school n write hand outs n sell to students, then u pick up a part time job in a private polytechnic n start doing 2 jobs at d same time. bros u don become big boy oooo n ur career growth will be marvelous.
but d oil company money big sha plus say them go dy send u go trainings abroad. lolzzzz.
Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by Charlieubochi: 12:07pm On Jun 22, 2017
Employment opportunity

PEC LTD is an NGO in Nigeria, we are a health maintenance and sustainance organisation. We are presently recruiting suitable and interested candidates to fill up various vacant positions. Our Head office is in Lagos State and we have branches in Port Harcourt, Anambra state and Umuahia.
We are interested in young Nigerians( graduates and undergraduates) who live in Port Harcourt, Abia state and Anambra state to fill up the various vacant positions.
Candidates should be between 20 years and 35 years with sound health.
Salary :
Our salaries are very attractive and commensurate with qualifications and experience will be offered to the selected candidates. Selected candidates will be trained after employment. Interested candidates may send their CV on or before 8th July 2017 to the following email address : recruitmentpecalian@gmail.com. call: 09060331896

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

5 Career Jobs To Avois As An Introvert / Inspector Usman Kadiri Dies Mysteriously 12 Hours After Promotion In Ondo / Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.