Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,972 members, 7,956,632 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 03:55 PM

Bottling Up Your Emotions Is Not Healthy: You Will Soon Snap! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Bottling Up Your Emotions Is Not Healthy: You Will Soon Snap! (22643 Views)

Akwa-Ibom Baby Left To Starve & Die For Being A Witch In Healthy-Looking Photos / How You Can Keep Your Emotions In Check Through Meditation. / You & Your Emotions 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bottling Up Your Emotions Is Not Healthy: You Will Soon Snap! by eleojo23: 10:15pm On Jul 05, 2014
Let's paint a quick picture.
Have you always kept your emotions bottled up? You don't really know why, but you have never been open
enough to let people see how you are really feeling. You always smile and laugh with people and just ignore things that might make your emotions come up. You always try to keep yourself emotionally level, never letting yourself get too upset or happy or annoyed about anything. You always act the same and try to keep the same level of emotion.
You keep all your emotions bottled up to the point where nothing gets you, nothing affects you because you have put up so many walls and barriers to protect yourself from really getting moved.
It is most likely that no one has ever seen the real you behind the constant, smiling and happy face you always put up. You may be thinking that if people were to see the real you, the emotional you, then they wouldn't understand and would probably reject you for it because they thought you were perfect or something and they've never seen that side of you before. So, you can't let people see that you are not perfect, so you continue to keep your emotions bottled up.

People bottle up emotion for numerous reasons; whether be it they can’t fight back due to the situation, for example, your boss or teacher/lecturer is giving you a rough time about something, you can’t fight back against them.
Some people think that if they show emotion, others will think they’re weak. Some just worry about what everyone will think. Others think they should feel a certain way and make themselves appear to be that way to be ‘normal’. One may go through a traumatic event that can trigger it, they go into shock and don’t know how to deal with what they are or aren’t feeling. They may not want to bother others with their issues, or don’t want to tell anyone because ‘they wont understand’. And some just simply do it not to hurt others. Once you've suppressed emotion for a long enough time, you become crabby and may snap at people for no reason. You're more likely to explode on people, most likely friends and loved ones. Some people end up using short-term solutions like drugs and alcohol.

These emotions can manifest physically and make you ill.

There are many ways one can release pent-up feelings. It all depends on the person. One may like to cry or listen to music, while the other may want talk to someone. Some may just want to scream into the air.

You are not a robot and can never be!

Therefore it is not wrong to let your emotions out as long as they are not destructive. Whichever way you want to go about it, find healthy ways to let your emotions out.

Can you related to this post? What healthy ways have you adopted to let out your emotions?

Your contributions will be appreciated

9 Likes

Re: Bottling Up Your Emotions Is Not Healthy: You Will Soon Snap! by eleojo23: 10:16pm On Jul 05, 2014
Thanks to Shyann J. for some of the excerpts
Re: Bottling Up Your Emotions Is Not Healthy: You Will Soon Snap! by Onlinebizexpert(m): 10:22pm On Jul 05, 2014
even robots nowadays get emotion.................watch transformers

5 Likes

Re: Bottling Up Your Emotions Is Not Healthy: You Will Soon Snap! by hydeka: 10:36pm On Jul 05, 2014
True, we're all wired with feelings which we must express. Sooner or later, it'll come bursting out.
Re: Bottling Up Your Emotions Is Not Healthy: You Will Soon Snap! by ggrin(f): 11:00pm On Jul 05, 2014
eleojo23: .
Re: Bottling Up Your Emotions Is Not Healthy: You Will Soon Snap! by eleojo23: 5:28am On Jul 07, 2014
Contributions...
Re: Bottling Up Your Emotions Is Not Healthy: You Will Soon Snap! by dyttt: 10:38am On Jul 07, 2014
i cant just do it, i will burst out in mins
its not so healthy for a long lasting relationship
it destroys it all, why wld u claim u love someone and then not caution at the slightest mistake
hian

i used to date this dude, mehn
hes deep, he can bottle it all up for mnths and then when he explodes, u wont have a choice than to keep apologising even when hes wrong
sometimes am like dude, how do u cope lovin me and keeping grudges
mehn, awon yen le oooo

5 Likes

Re: Bottling Up Your Emotions Is Not Healthy: You Will Soon Snap! by tpia5: 10:26am On Jul 08, 2014
True, there's nothing really wrong per se with expressing how you feel, within reason.
Re: Bottling Up Your Emotions Is Not Healthy: You Will Soon Snap! by Nobody: 11:15am On Jul 08, 2014
Onlinebizexpert: even robots nowadays get emotion.................watch transformers
one of the robots even fell in love with tyrese gibson

1 Like

Re: Bottling Up Your Emotions Is Not Healthy: You Will Soon Snap! by eleojo23: 5:18am On Jul 09, 2014
comments.
Re: Bottling Up Your Emotions Is Not Healthy: You Will Soon Snap! by TRADELYN: 5:41am On Jul 09, 2014
Yeah...it's true!

Our Research Team supports this grin

86 days...Jona, wey our Girls?

3 Likes

Re: Bottling Up Your Emotions Is Not Healthy: You Will Soon Snap! by wasak(m): 5:43am On Jul 09, 2014
Feels good to b on front-page again. Please i want to comment on this topic
Re: Bottling Up Your Emotions Is Not Healthy: You Will Soon Snap! by engrflames: 5:46am On Jul 09, 2014
A problem shared, is a problem solved, don't die in silence!
Re: Bottling Up Your Emotions Is Not Healthy: You Will Soon Snap! by Smartsyn(m): 5:50am On Jul 09, 2014
OK, I ll be canning them instead. thanks
Re: Bottling Up Your Emotions Is Not Healthy: You Will Soon Snap! by PrettyClare7(f): 5:50am On Jul 09, 2014
i used to bottle up o. I had d inner fear dat i wil be exposing my self for ppl to hurt me d more. Bt i hv overcme that wit smeone's help.

4 Likes

Re: Bottling Up Your Emotions Is Not Healthy: You Will Soon Snap! by salvino(m): 5:52am On Jul 09, 2014
kinda true tho...dis applys to me, but i neva blow up. i just let things slide and move on. i dont like hanging on to issues, and there is this saying dat goes "if u are right, just smile and walk away, and if u are wrong, u dont even have the right to be angry in d first instance" #AngerManagement.

5 Likes

Re: Bottling Up Your Emotions Is Not Healthy: You Will Soon Snap! by Nobody: 5:57am On Jul 09, 2014
i grew up with pple who aren't open to emotional things... naijA parents sha..
Re: Bottling Up Your Emotions Is Not Healthy: You Will Soon Snap! by jasmine21(f): 6:08am On Jul 09, 2014
I started bottling up my emotions 2yrs ago. The only person I open up to is my boyfriend. None of my family members understand me just 1 of my brothers and sometimes my dad. My mom is d last person I can ever tell anything to.

Anyway, Now that I live alone its even worse and I hate it. Thank God 4 phones at least.

3 Likes

Re: Bottling Up Your Emotions Is Not Healthy: You Will Soon Snap! by ideology(m): 6:24am On Jul 09, 2014
jasmine21: I started bottling up my emotions 2yrs ago. The only person I open up to is my boyfriend. None of my family members understand me just 1 of my brothers and sometimes my dad. My mom is d last person I can ever tell anything to.

Anyway, Now that I live alone its even worse and I hate it. Thank God 4 phones at least.

Lol, #phones, Facebook or Twitter

1 Like

Re: Bottling Up Your Emotions Is Not Healthy: You Will Soon Snap! by dagentility(f): 6:25am On Jul 09, 2014
I'm the type that hardly open up or let out my feelings back then, but thanks to my ex, the very minute u wrong me,i wil jst let it out immediately.
Re: Bottling Up Your Emotions Is Not Healthy: You Will Soon Snap! by DesChyko: 6:25am On Jul 09, 2014
You know, it is not every feeling that should be spoken about. Some need time so that they can die off and rest in peace without ruffling any feathers.

2 Likes

Re: Bottling Up Your Emotions Is Not Healthy: You Will Soon Snap! by GentleNaaz(m): 6:26am On Jul 09, 2014
FACTS ABOUT WOMEN....
1. When a woman is angry, over half of
what she says she doesn't mean...
2. The most difficult time for a woman
is when she is away from the man she
loves.
3. A woman is not like 'dettol advert',
if you don't take care of her... Others
will.
4. It takes time for a woman to trust a
man, its hard to change when she
does, but if you mess up, you might
just forget it.
5. A woman is such a school you will
never graduate from.
6. Your wedding certificate with her is
not a "driving licence", its just a
"Learners permit"
7. She can be a very bitter now, and a
very sweet angel later on, it all lies in
your approach.
8. A woman hardly forget things, she
remembers hurts more, avoid making
her hurt.
9. A woman can be highly
secretive...Most times when they
prove hard to men, they go to their
closet and friends to cry.
10. All women Loves to be begged,
they love it more than they love men
often..

17 Likes

Re: Bottling Up Your Emotions Is Not Healthy: You Will Soon Snap! by vizier007(m): 6:41am On Jul 09, 2014
if i see that there is no point in telling anyone or i dont feel like sharing it with someone, i'll just go to the pitch and play football..

1 Like

Re: Bottling Up Your Emotions Is Not Healthy: You Will Soon Snap! by mgbeketoto: 6:46am On Jul 09, 2014
I get VERRRRYshort fuse o. cool
I could never bottle my own fart. . .even if you paid me billions! cheesy
Re: Bottling Up Your Emotions Is Not Healthy: You Will Soon Snap! by coolzeal(m): 6:55am On Jul 09, 2014
jasmine21: I started bottling up my emotions 2yrs ago. The only person I open up to is my boyfriend. None of my family members understand me just 1 of my brothers and sometimes my dad. My mom is d last person I can ever tell anything to.

One thing you can't hide is when you're crippled inside. I feel too much. That's what's going on. 'Do you think one can feel too much? Or just feel in the wrong ways?' 'My insides don't match up with my outsides and it seems like nobody understand me. Well, go out more, make good and reliable friends and be honest to them, live your life like tomorrow is the last, be dominant and most importantly good s*ex dilute emotional stress. Living alone doesn't make it worst but gives you more chance to privacy and enough time to conquer, I know because i live alone too.
Re: Bottling Up Your Emotions Is Not Healthy: You Will Soon Snap! by Bjfirst: 6:59am On Jul 09, 2014
i hardly open up to people, even those that are close to me. i really want to be free and open but i jez find it difficult
Re: Bottling Up Your Emotions Is Not Healthy: You Will Soon Snap! by dshiznitplata(m): 6:59am On Jul 09, 2014
havent found the solution yet...need anger therapy....
Re: Bottling Up Your Emotions Is Not Healthy: You Will Soon Snap! by Dygeasy(m): 7:03am On Jul 09, 2014
Re: Bottling Up Your Emotions Is Not Healthy: You Will Soon Snap! by Karleb(m): 7:17am On Jul 09, 2014
GentleNaaz: FACTS ABOUT WOMEN....
1. When a woman is angry, over half of
what she says she doesn't mean...
2. The most difficult time for a woman
is when she is away from the man she
loves.
3. A woman is not like 'dettol advert',
if you don't take care of her... Others
will.
4. It takes time for a woman to trust a
man, its hard to change when she
does, but if you mess up, you might
just forget it.
5. A woman is such a school you will
never graduate from.
6. Your wedding certificate with her is
not a "driving licence", its just a
"Learners permit"
7. She can be a very bitter now, and a
very sweet angel later on, it all lies in
your approach.
8. A woman hardly forget things, she
remembers hurts more, avoid making
her hurt.
9. A woman can be highly
secretive...Most times when they
prove hard to men, they go to their
closet and friends to cry.
10. All women Loves to be begged,
they love it more than they love men
often..

what are we supposed to do with this fuccking information angry angry undecided

3 Likes

Re: Bottling Up Your Emotions Is Not Healthy: You Will Soon Snap! by barackodam: 7:19am On Jul 09, 2014
Am not needed here.

Wrong thread I suppose
Re: Bottling Up Your Emotions Is Not Healthy: You Will Soon Snap! by buoye1(m): 7:29am On Jul 09, 2014
I'm jx a 2way guy,smetimes i open up anoda i lock up!infact i do enjy d secnd part!!
Re: Bottling Up Your Emotions Is Not Healthy: You Will Soon Snap! by Nobody: 7:36am On Jul 09, 2014
I do it alot o, i hate getting angry or pouring my emotions out to anyone so i keep it all inside.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Be Discrete With Your Moves / Men/guys Plz Stop Encouraging/producing Baby Mamas / Abuja Woman Surprises Husband On Birthday With Hard Currencies, Expensive Gifts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.