Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,267 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:51 AM

Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners (4081 Views)

Results For Programming Challenge Season 2 / Programming Challenge For Beginners Competition Two N20000 -SEASON 2- / Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by sisqology(m): 12:15am On Jul 07, 2014
The topic Programming Challenge for beginners https://www.nairaland.com/1793070/programming-challenge-beginners-n20000 competition one is now a wrap. We will be posting grading and remarks here. Remember, the following below;

First Person to submit for each field(Design or Development): 10% point each (we add this to you total achieved point)
Second Person to submit for each field(Design or Development): 5% point each (we add this to you total achieved point)

Grading Stats:

Code Neatness: 15%
Code Indentation Consistency: 15%
Rules Adhering: 15%
Official Rules(by language) Adhering: 10%
Project Features: 20%
Extra features as mentioned in competition: 10%
Unbroken Code and Links: 10%
Successful Check in: 5%

However, when the two judges judge, if judge A overall mark for Mr A's project is 70% and Judge B's overall mark for Mr A's project is 50%, it means Mr A total mark will be (70 + 50)/2 = 60%. The the add ons like (first to submit 10% and second to submit 5% could be added.)

But any situation where we have only a judge, we will use the final score from the judge for you smiley

Totally, we have 9 people that submitted successfully; 4 web designers, 5 web developers/programmers.

They are listed below;

4. blueyedgeek
Name: Daniel Chinedu

Sex: Male

Language(s): HTML , CSS, Javascript

5. Phourxx
Name: Fola Bello
Language: Python

6. zicjoe
Name: Isaac Joe
Languages: HTML, CSS and Javascript

10. dozie s
Name: dozie.
Sex: male.
Language: python

11. nnasino
Name: torti C
sex: male.
Language: java

12. Valon4ego
Name: Valentine ikenna
language: PHP
sex : male

13. ViktorMartins
Name: Viktor Martins
Language: Python
Sex: male

15. Kovic08
Name : adewumi hammed
SEX: Male
Language : Html and css

Watchout
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by spikesC(m): 12:16am On Jul 07, 2014
Now, we'll be posting results for the web designing part
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by sisqology(m): 12:20am On Jul 07, 2014
Adewunmi Hammed AKA Kovic08

Language: HTML, CSS, JavaScript

Code Neatness: 4% of 15%

Code Indentation: 1% of 15%

Rules Adhering: 3% of 15%

Offficial Rules by language: 1% of 10%

Project Features: 5%

Extra Features: 1% of 10%

Unbroken Links: 2% of 10%

Successful check: 5% of 5%

Remarks
You have failed to be consistent with your colouring. They way you have mixed them does not match. You have some broken links at the top of your website, site-map, search, email and your search form is irrelevant(not working as well). Your menu makes noise on hover, try to make a website that does not make noises in the future, it is dated. The name of your pages are "index", "index1", "index2"...etc, they should be named index, about-us...etc. You did not follow the rules fully, you have failed to implement google map properly on your website; you have failed to make user know the page they are on, your form on contact page is a failure, when you click in, you have to clear and start typing, you have used '<input type="text" size="70" value="lastname">' and your form does not validate as well. You built your website using tables, try to learn how to use DIVs and SPANs. However, you have also used inline CSS, w3 rules, you should make use of external CSS files. Goodluck, Thanks for participating, we will like to see you next time, you would have improved in all these. smiley
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by spikesC(m): 12:26am On Jul 07, 2014
[size=18pt]adewumihammed aka Kovic08 for design[/size]

I do not quite believe you did the project yourself because you made so many edits that you seem not to know what they are of. I think you got the  archive online, while editing it, you removed some very important parts of that project.

Nvertheless, if you really did, i would advise you get a current web designing ebook and start afresh. Web designing is a career you can only succeed in if you have the passion for it.

Thus:

Code Neatness: 2% of 15%

2/5 on Html

0/5 on css

0/5 on JS

Code Indentation: 2% of 15%

2/5 on Html

0/5 on css

0/5 on JS

Rules Adhering: 6% of 15%

Offficial Rules by language: 3% of 10%

2 on html

1 on css

0 on js

Contact form does not even validate

Project Features: 7%  of 20%

Extra Features: 0% of 10%

Google map is broken

Unbroken Links: 5% of 10%

Final comment:

Dedication and passion is the key
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by sisqology(m): 12:32am On Jul 07, 2014
Chinedu Daniel AKA blueyedgeek

Language(s) Used: HTML, CSS, JavaScript

Code Neatness: 15% of 15%

Code Indentation: 12% of 15%

Rules Adhering: 13% of 15%

Offficial Rules by language: 6% of 10%

Project Features: 15% of 20%

Extra Features: 8% of 10%

Unbroken Links: 10% of 10%

Remarks

You have a nice design up there. However, you have strongly followed the rules stated in the compoetiton as well. Congratulations on following the rules of w3 as well. In the future, you may just need to add some little touch of design(in terms of logo); however, you can always hire designers if you are not too creative, when other project comes. You have failed to use the proper arrangement a normal designer should have. It states thus; (1) You should always have all css files in a folder, say name is "CSS", you should always have all scripts in a folder, say name is "JS", you only followed the one for images. You project additionally validated on validators, keep it up. See you in the next challenge.
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by spikesC(m): 12:33am On Jul 07, 2014
[size=15pt]Chinedu Daniel aka blueeyedgeek for design[/size]

You seem very good in your field and you have a good eye for design. But so does everyone here.

As this contest is to test how good your coding skills are and not if you can chose a good looking bootstrap theme and background picture to modify to your taste, thus are my decisions.

As seen, evidently on your submitted work, you wrote almost only html and css. With a little inline javascript (5 lines), that repeats itself on every page.

I would advise you up your skills on javascript, move the scripts to a seperate file and include it just how you included bootstrap.

Code Neatness: 9% of 15%

5/5 on Html

3/5 on css

1/5 on JS

Code Indentation: 11% of 15%

4/5 on Html

4/5 on css

1/5 on JS

Rules may be awkard, but it is there to be adhered to.

You broke the following rules:

1. where the homepage shows your company intro where read more links to about us., services, mission, vision

The links must be there, but doesnt have to lead to anywhere

2. form must have the fields(Firstname, Lastname, email, address, phone) and must validate all fields

You left out the fields firstname, lastname and address. Then manufactured fullname grin

3. Page3(A static about Us page)that shows about your company and a Google map of maybe your location.

The google map should be on the about us page not the contact us page

Therefore:

Rules Adhering: 3% of 15%

Offficial Rules by language: 9% of 10%

4 on html

3 on css

2 on js

Project Features: 15%  of 20%

I could not find any other extra feature apart from the one you were asked to do. Never the less, i'll give you 2 points for the good use of css3 transitions wink

Extra Features: 2% of 10%

Final comment:

Like i said before, you're a very promising young man. But design have gone past frameworks. Frameworks make websites look like each other and adds so much complexities and unnecessary codes.

You should invest your resources more on custom coding. Be creative and learn to love what you do. That way, you would break boundries.
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by sisqology(m): 12:39am On Jul 07, 2014
Isaac Joe AKA Zicjoe

Code Neatness: 11% of 15%

Code Indentation: 12% of 15%

Rules Adhering: 10% of 15%

Project Features: 13% of 20%

Extra Features: 7% of 10%

Remarks
You have done a good job. But be strong in the following in the future;
Learn to arrange your projects well, all css files in one folder, all Javascript files in one folder and all images in one folder. You are great with the slider you have but why do you have the link "wowslider.com''? Are you trying to divert people away from your website again?
I'm okay with your color combo, but I don't know why I have something against the black background? The dropdown/accordion is good, on your homepage, but there is an error on the "read more" for mission. whenever I hover on the "more", I keep having a vibration on my screen. Also, learn to get rid of links like this (click here to read more, click here to see our services). You can say "read our services here" where the "here" is the link. In your menu; the spacing between two words; E.g: About Us(about and us) is too large. Your form validation is a bit crappy on the contact page, whenever i fail to fill in first name, it validates and not I have filled the first name after the error, the validation message is still there. You have failed to implement google map as well. Also, you were supposed to have a little about "about your company on the homepage" with a read more link to about page where you see the mission, vision, etc. See you in the next competiton.
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by spikesC(m): 12:40am On Jul 07, 2014
[size=15pt]Isaac joe aka zicjoe for design[/size]

You are getting up gradually, that is commendable. But you need to get in touch with current design standards and estatics.

Your design is very plain, flat and not so appealing.

Before you do a design job, try to get inspirations from the web and test your prowess with them.

Thus:

We all write jagajaga codes, but in competitions, and professional team jobs, code structure and neatness is a must. Imagine getting a new project to modify, you open up your editor and you meet your worst nightmare angry

I was actually wowed by your external css code structure but your inline css also gave you away

Also try to combine related values. Example; margin-left, margin-right etc to margin.

Inline js, the same thing

Code Neatness: 6% of 15%

2/5 on Html

3/5 on css

1/5 on JS

Code Indentation: 7% of 15%

2/5 on Html

4/5 on css

1/5 on JS

Na so i come dey find the google map but na my guy face wey i see undecided

Rules Adhering: 14% of 15%

You have so many errors on your css

inline js, everywhere you go

Offficial Rules by language: 8% of 10%

3 on html

3 on css

2 on js

Project Features: 18%  of 20%

You added an optional slider

Extra Features: 4% of 10%

There's nothing like double initial commits

Successful check: 4% of 5%

Final comment:

Like i said before, try to get inspiration online and test your prowess. Improve on your code organisation and neatness
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by sisqology(m): 12:47am On Jul 07, 2014
Adetunmbi Idris AKA smorg AKA Chrylich

Code Neatness: 14% of 15%

Code Indentation: 13% of 15%

Rules Adhering: 9% of 15%

Project Features: 5% of 20%

Successful check: 1% of 5%

Remarks
Thanks for participating in the competiton, however I'll would love to make you improve yourself in the following areas; your color combination is bad, try harder, there is still a long way to go; pink text on blue background is definitely not a GO. Your code is neat, and your files arrangement is perfect no doubt. However, you failed in following some part of the rules; I cant see a google map, your contact page is bad, so awful; why the pink background? Your form there is not validating too. Why havent you put any content on your website? By the way, why have you decided to make your file names with space(s) E.g(about us.html) and when you wanted to call it in (<a href>wink you did something like <a href="about%20us.html">wink I have not seen that in ages really. Lastly, you failed to submit on time, you submitted some hours after deadline, in the future, you can try harder to meet up with it, that is why you have 1% over 5% in check in. See you in the next competiton.
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by spikesC(m): 12:49am On Jul 07, 2014
[size=18pt]smorg for design[/size]

Web designing is about dedication and passion, not about beautiful pictures and winning contests.

Just like you wanted, lets get to the point:

5/5 on Html

4/5 on css

0/5 on JS #no javascript

Code Indentation: 9% of 15%

5/5 on Html

4/5 on css

0/5 on JS #no javascript

Did you like, really, forgot the about us shocked

Rules Adhering: 4% of 15%

Offficial Rules by language: 7% of 10%

4 on html

3 on css

0 on js #no javascript

Much of the features you were told to add are not there. Example, about us, google map, validating form You submited very early and even had more chance to make edits but i don't really understand what happened.

Project Features: 5%  of 20%

Nice favicon

Successful check: 2% of 5%

Final comment:

Dedication pls. This contest is going to run every month. We're very very serious about it.
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by sisqology(m): 1:02am On Jul 07, 2014
Right now, let us all do a nice calculation here since the two judges for web designers have posted their judgments.

4 Web Designers submitted their projects successfully, I will analyze them below according to the date they submitted;

===========================================================================================
Chinedu Daniel AKA blueyedgeek created his repo on 2014-06-16 and committed only once on the same date. He wins the extra 10% bonus(after average);

Judge A for blueyedgeek's project (15 + 12 + 13 + 6 + 15 + 8 + 10 + 5) = 84%
Judge B for blueyedgeek's project (9 + 11 + 3 + 9 + 15 + 2 + 10 + 5) = 64%
Total Mark = (84 + 64)/2 = 74% + 10%(extra) = 84%.

=====================================================================================================

Adewunmi Hammed AKA Kovic08 created his repo on 2014-06-16 and committed twice on 2014-06-20 and on 2014-06-22
He wins the extra 5% bonus(after average)

Judge A for Kovic08 project (4 + 1 + 3 + 1 + 5 + 1 + 2 + 5) = 22%
Judge B for Kovic08 project (2 + 2 + 6 + 3 + 7 + 0 + 5 + 5) = 30%
Total Mark = (22 + 30)/2 = 26% + 5%(extra) = 31%.
=====================================================================================================

Isaac Joe AKA zicjoe created his repo on 2014-06-18 and committed twice both on 2014-06-24.

Judge A for zicjoe's project (11 + 12 + 10 + 6 + 13 + 7 + 10 + 5) = 74%
Judge B for zicjoe 's project (6 + 7 + 14 + 8 + 18 + 4 + 10 + 4) = 71%
Total Mark = (74 + 71)/2 = 72.5%.

Adetunmbi Idris AKA smorg AKA Chrylich created his repo on 2014-07-4 and committed four times 2014-07-4 and 2014-07-5(3ce).

Judge A for Chrylich's project (14 + 13 + 9 + 6 + 5 + 1 + 10 + 1) = 59%
Judge B for Chrylich's project (9 + 9 + 4 + 7 + 5 + 1 + 10 + 2) = 47%
Total Mark = (59 + 47)/2 = 53%.

[size=16pt]Web Design (HTML, CSS, JavaScript)[/size]

Winner: Chinedu Daniel AKA blueyedgeek (N6,000)
Runner Up: Isaac Joe AKA zicjoe(N4,000)
Third Position: Adetunmbi Idris AKA Chrylich (Consolation Prize(s))

Congratulations!

1 Like

Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by Chrylich(m): 1:05am On Jul 07, 2014
spikesC: [size=18pt]smorg for design[/size]

Web designing is about dedication and passion, not about beautiful pictures and winning contests.

Just like you wanted, lets get to the point:

5/5 on Html

4/5 on css

0/5 on JS #no javascript

Code Indentation: 9% of 15%

5/5 on Html

4/5 on css

0/5 on JS #no javascript

Did you like, really, forgot the about us shocked

Rules Adhering: 4% of 15%

Offficial Rules by language: 7% of 10%

4 on html

3 on css

0 on js #no javascript

Much of the features you were told to add are not there. Example, about us, google map, validating form You submited very early and even had more chance to make edits but i don't really understand what happened.

Project Features: 5%  of 20%

Nice favicon

Final comment:

Dedication pls. This contest is going to run every month. We're very very serious about it.

Thanks for commenting at least..
I think i still have a lot to improve on..
as regards the "about us" link, u should probably give more enlightment.. i did my research n to the best of my knowledge, it is valid.. i infact did a validation check.. i initially got an error buh after adding the "%20" and rechecked, i got a correct validation.. i'll try n see if i can pull links on that topic buh im sure it is correct
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by spikesC(m): 1:12am On Jul 07, 2014
Chrylich:

Thanks for commenting at least..
I think i still have a lot to improve on..
as regards the "about us" link, u should probably give more enlightment.. i did my research n to the best of my knowledge, it is valid.. i infact did a validation check.. i initially got an error buh after adding the "%20" and rechecked, i got a correct validation.. i'll try n see if i can pull links on that topic buh im sure it is correct

you know that we're guided by rules here. we all makes mistakes, but how we handle it determines who we are.
you know that i can not add more points to you after you edit it. it wont be fair to others.
take it as a learning experience, and try as much as possible to test everything before the deadline.

wish you well next contest cool
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by Kovic08(m): 7:40am On Jul 07, 2014
BUSTED!
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by spikesC(m): 8:25am On Jul 07, 2014
see money o shocked

bia, them no dey give something to the judges grin
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by zicjoe(m): 12:07pm On Jul 07, 2014
Men!! #Speechless. Tnks 4 da constructive criticisms @sisquology nd spikesC. dhtml i see ya nd evrybody dat contribute to da challenge.
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by blueyedgeek(m): 1:41pm On Jul 07, 2014
Happiness dey worry me.

Thanks to the judges for the constructive criticism and positive words. I hope to get better as the challenge runs.

To all my fellow competitors, we are all winners as long as we get to learn and improve (this is only a starting point).

Looking forward to the next challenge.

By the way, if any una need intern / omo ishe, I'm open to take on such offers because getting real life experience while working with a pro is more advantageous than learning on your own.

Thanks once again. how I go take collect the money? grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by bot101(m): 2:02pm On Jul 07, 2014
Please when will this month's challenge be out?
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by spikesC(m): 2:31pm On Jul 07, 2014
bot101: Please when will this month's challenge be out?

This week
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by Karleb(m): 3:06pm On Jul 07, 2014
blueyedgeek: Happiness dey worry me.

Thanks to the judges for the constructive criticism and positive words. I hope to get better as the challenge runs.

To all my fellow competitors, we are all winners as long as we get to learn and improve (this is only a starting point).

By the way, if any una need intern / omo ishe, I'm open to take on such offers because getting real life experience while working with a pro is more advantageous than learning on your own.

Bro I celebrate with you o.

But in case you don't have an account I can give you my account details if that's the only reason the judges haven't given the ego.

A friend in need they say, is a friend indeed cool.
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by Dlastofmykind(m): 4:11pm On Jul 07, 2014
@ OP.....I didnt c my name among those that submitted for web developers.... This is quite annoying!
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jul 07, 2014
blueyedgeek:
Happiness dey worry me.

They are yet to see the best in you, believe me. Wait till we are done. Congrats. wink
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by sisqology(m): 5:17pm On Jul 07, 2014
sorry all. The winners should kindly send me their account details(GTB o, I no go queue for bank o) and phone numbers. Email: scuby1000 at gmail dot com.

The third placed person should send only phone number please.
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by sisqology(m): 5:19pm On Jul 07, 2014
Dlastofmykind: @ OP.....I didnt c my name among those that submitted for web developers.... This is quite annoying!

did you register after deadline?
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by Chrylich(m): 5:23pm On Jul 07, 2014

Web Design (HTML, CSS, JavaScript)

Winner: Chinedu Daniel AKA blueyedgeek (N6,000)
Runner Up: Isaac Joe AKA zicjoe(N4,000)
Third Position: Adetunmbi Idris AKA Chrylich (Consolation Prize(s))

Congratulations!

shocked shocked

sisqology: sorry all. The winners should kindly send me their account details(GTB o, I no go queue for bank o) and phone numbers. Email: scuby1000 at gmail dot com.

The third placed person should send only phone number please.

Seriously??! smiley

Thanks Guys!
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by sisqology(m): 5:39pm On Jul 07, 2014
Dlastofmykind: @ OP.....I didnt c my name among those that submitted for web developers.... This is quite annoying!

Chill joh, will be posting the results for development tonight.
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by Dlastofmykind(m): 6:25pm On Jul 07, 2014
sisqology:

did you register after deadline?
The actual deadline was wednesday but it was later extended till friday.
I submitted my work on thursday and I invited those 3 emails that you said we should invite after we might have submitted our work.
But I'm shocked that my name is not among those web developers that submitted their work.
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by dhtml(m): 4:50am On Jul 08, 2014
Wow! how did I miss this thread until now! this is really awesome.
Hehehe, lol at menu making noise! What kind of noise was that - was it crowing like a rooster on hover or barking like a dog?
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by Djtm(m): 5:35am On Jul 08, 2014
Pink text on blue background. The devil is a liar!
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by dhtml(m): 6:14am On Jul 08, 2014
Djtm: Pink text on blue background.
Crows like a cockerel! adonbilivit!!

We are suppose to do a gala night for the winners, or at least take them to peppersoup joints in addition to the award.
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by blueyedgeek(m): 7:09am On Jul 08, 2014
Karleb:

Bro I celebrate with you o.

But in case you don't have an account I can give you my account details if that's the only reason the judges haven't given the ego.

A friend in need they say, is a friend indeed cool.
Sharp guy
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by blueyedgeek(m): 7:11am On Jul 08, 2014
dhtml:
Crows like a cockerel! adonbilivit!!

We are suppose to do a gala night for the winners, or at least take them to peppersoup joints in addition to the award.
A job would be better sir.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Job Offer Available With Reasonable Pay / I Will Teach You Python / Why Nigerian Software Firms Are Absent On The Global Map

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.