Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,599 members, 7,820,147 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:26 AM

Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners (4085 Views)

Results For Programming Challenge Season 2 / Programming Challenge For Beginners Competition Two N20000 -SEASON 2- / Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by blueyedgeek(m): 7:22am On Jul 08, 2014
Dlastofmykind:
The actual deadline was wednesday but it was later extended till friday.
I submitted my work on thursday and I invited those 3 emails that you said we should invite after we might have submitted our work.
But I'm shocked that my name is not among those web developers that submitted their work.
If my memory serves me well, I think you registered as a PHP developer. You do know that the competition is in two folds: front-end (HTML, CSS, JavaScript) and back - end (PHP, Java , Python, Ruby et al). The result here is for the front-end dev. Yours is different (building a simple threaded messaging app) and the results are being collated and will be posted here soon. Patience is a virtue that all programmers (especially us beginners) must have.
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by blueyedgeek(m): 7:23am On Jul 08, 2014
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by blueyedgeek(m): 7:23am On Jul 08, 2014
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by dhtml(m): 7:59am On Jul 08, 2014
blueyedgeek: A job would be better sir.
A job, a job, a job, caramba! yes that is it, a job. . . .in what format do you want the job?
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by blueyedgeek(m): 9:30am On Jul 08, 2014
dhtml:
A job, a job, a job, caramba! yes that is it, a job. . . .in what format do you want the job?

<script>
var format = "Internship";
document.write("<p>An<strong>" + " " + format + " " + "</strong>will do sir!</p>" ) ;
</script>
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by dhtml(m): 9:37am On Jul 08, 2014
I shall consider it deeply.
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by Dlastofmykind(m): 1:23pm On Jul 08, 2014
blueyedgeek:
If my memory serves me well, I think you registered as a PHP developer. You do know that the competition is in two folds: front-end (HTML, CSS, JavaScript) and back - end (PHP, Java , Python, Ruby et al). The result here is for the front-end dev. Yours is different (building a simple threaded messaging app) and the results are being collated and will be posted here soon. Patience is a virtue that all programmers (especially us beginners) must have.

Ok.... The reason why i posted was that my name was not among those people that submitted their work.
My mind is now a little bit at rest.
Lest I forget, congrats on your success.
Moreso, pls, pm me ur phone number, I wanna ask you something.
Thanks!
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by blueyedgeek(m): 6:52am On Jul 09, 2014
Dlastofmykind:

Ok.... The reason why i posted was that my name was not among those people that submitted their work.
My mind is now a little bit at rest.
Lest I forget, congrats on your success.
Moreso, pls, pm me ur phone number, I wanna ask you something.
Thanks!
I've mailed you
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by nnasino(m): 9:20am On Jul 09, 2014
Pls. When will the result forthe developers be out?
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by sisqology(m): 10:21am On Jul 09, 2014
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by sisqology(m): 10:21am On Jul 09, 2014
nnasino: Pls. When will the result forthe developers be out?

Today!
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by spikesC(m): 10:26am On Jul 09, 2014
Pls have a little patience with us, we're getting things in order.
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by Dlastofmykind(m): 12:31pm On Jul 09, 2014
It was dgreatwap that i used to register for this challenge.
I registered as a web developer (PHP) with full name-Oniosun Ayodele, but,i was unable to login with that username after nairaland recovered from the attack.
It was then i used this current username "dlastofmykind" to create a new account on nairaland which is the same with my bitbucket username.
sisqology:

Please find where you registered on http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:https://www.nairaland.com/1770447/programming-challenge-beginners-n20000

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:https://www.nairaland.com/1770447/programming-challenge-beginners-n20000/1

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:https://www.nairaland.com/1770447/programming-challenge-beginners-n20000/2

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:https://www.nairaland.com/1770447/programming-challenge-beginners-n20000/3

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:https://www.nairaland.com/1770447/programming-challenge-beginners-n20000/4

etc and let me know, I am looking for where you did your reg o. Your project has beeen graded however.

I did not put yyou https://www.nairaland.com/1793070/programming-challenge-beginners-n20000 here too. What's happening?
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by sisqology(m): 4:12pm On Jul 09, 2014
Dlastofmykind: It was dgreatwap that i used to register for this challenge.
I registered as a web developer (PHP) with full name-Oniosun Ayodele, but,i was unable to login with that username after nairaland recovered from the attack.
It was then i used this current username "dlastofmykind" to create a new account on nairaland which is the same with my bitbucket username.

no problem
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by sisqology(m): 9:04pm On Jul 09, 2014
Results for Development

===================================================================================

dozie9
Python (Django)
Code Neatness: 15% of 15%

Code Indentation: 15% of 15%

Rules Adhering: 0% of 15%

Offficial Rules by language: 8% of 10%

Project Features: 1% of 20%

Extra Features: 1% of 10%

Unbroken Links: 0% of 10%

Successful check: 5% of 5%

Remarks
You have started your project well, but you backed out because of one reason or the other, so your project is incomplete, you have used Python, using the Django framework, your prokect runs successfully which is good, but you front end has failed to open, only the admin opens and it is totally empty. See you in the next competiton.
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by sisqology(m): 9:05pm On Jul 09, 2014
Oniosun Ayodele AKA Dlastofmykind AKA dgreatwap

PHP

Code Neatness: 10% of 15%

Code Indentation: 3% of 15%

Rules Adhering: 8% of 15%

Offficial Rules by language: 6% of 10%

Project Features: 19% of 20%

Extra Features: 9% of 10%

Unbroken Links: 10% of 10%

Remarks
You have done a very good job. But be strong in the following in the future;
Learn to arrange your projects well. Maybe all config files like your config.php may be in a directory named "config", then we can even make it neater by letting your header.php, footer.php, func.php files in a directory maybe named "core", it may just be cool. However, it is not a must, I must credit you also on the kind of layout you have used. It is nice to see and its a boost! I was tempted to give you 20% over 20% there but there is only one big "BUT" I saw overall, I noticed when I clicked on the "compose new message" and I entered a wrong Username, it took me to a page saying "'typed_username' is not a registered member. Please Try Again!" and I have to click "back" on my browser button again to go back to where I was; not good. You did it well on your login when I entered the incorrect password. Why not here?
I can see a great PHP programmer in you really, I like the extra features you have added and they are cute. Avatars, status updates, etc. You made the same mistake on the "change password" page too, I entered a wrong password for my old password(Incorrect Old Password!) and I was taken to another page. The fact that you are showing the online status of a user is good, and whenever I have a new inbox, you are making it the title bold and you are putting (new) in front of it. It is good. One last thing I like again is the fact that you are using "save as draft" and "delete inbox" It is cool. In the future, you may need to learn more on databases, you made a little mess in your drafts table, you used a username column, why not user_id? I know username is unique, but user_id is stronger. You made the same mistakes(redundancy) too in inbox table columns(sender_id, sender(username), receiver(username)) Did you ask yourself what I'm thinking right now? Finally, you have used md5 in doing your hashing, bad bad bad! See you in the next competiton. You have done a great job.
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by spikesC(m): 9:12pm On Jul 09, 2014
[size=15pt]Oniosun Ayodele aka Dlastofmykind for development[/size]

hmmmmm, this one is stroooong sad

ok, you're a promising programmer.
You show dedication in your work and can go to any length to prove yourself.
But i don't know where or how you learnt your own programming. Probably from an ebook ages ago.

You need to get in touch with current development techniques and standards. More again, coding standards.
You can use this link as a refrence: www.php-fig.org
Also, download advanced php ebooks to up your skills.
A few like:

PHP Master-write cutting edge code
FriendsofED.PHP.Object.Oriented.Solutions.Aug.2008
Manning.PHP.in.Action.Jun.2007
Wrox Professional Lamp-Php5 Web Development
PHP Master-write cutting edge code

I would advise beginners to use PHP 5 power programming to learn. I haven't seen any other beginner ebook that is better.

Also, visit OWASPGuide regularly for security.
And subscribe to PHPweekly to get yourself up to date.

Getting down to business.
I fear for your codes o. You shouldn't pack all your files, including sql, php and css in one folder.
Long story short, it was quite a homework to read your codes.
I also didn't understand why you run all sitewide post data through one file, funct.php

Code Neatness: 4% of 15%

There were literally no indentation on your codes.
Pls get a good IDE. Notepad++ is even very good in indentation.

Code Indentation: 0% of 15%

You didn't validate all your fields

Rules Adhering: 13% of 15%

You had, basically, the following php errors everywhere
Deprecated: mysql_connect()
Warning: Cannot modify header information

Offficial Rules by language: 7% of 10%

You actually didn't create a threaded messaging system. You created a normal email system with header and a user cannot even reply a message.

The system is actually open, as you can view all parts of the application without even be logged in. And when this happens, errors abound on all parts of the application.

Also, you added so many other features which would give you a boost, nevertheless, some of them do not work. I am therefore, obliged to reduce points in effect to those that doesn't work.
Examples are:
No way to send drafts, can only edit and save
cannot delete selected inbox and drafts
logout doesn't work
female gender icon doesn't display
While editing profile, the gender field is not a select box, and it turned out so weird that i could change my gender to alien angry

Project Features: 8%  of 20%

The interface is quite appealing and you displayed your creativity in this project, by adding very relevant features. I would have giving you full points here, but i am bound to remove a few as some of the features do not actually work.
Also, you didn't even help me to install the application by writing a readme file or developing an auto installation script. I had to dig into your code before i could figure out what and what to setup.

Extra Features: 7% of 10%

Most of your header redirect are broken because of this error:
Warning: Cannot modify header information

Unbroken Links: 6% of 10%

Final comment:

Keep learning, get your skills up to date and keep breaking boundaries.
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by sisqology(m): 9:26pm On Jul 09, 2014
Viktor Martins AKA ViktorMartins

Python(Web2Py)

Code Neatness: 3% of 15%

Rules Adhering: 5% of 15%

Official Rules by language: 10% of 10%

Project Features: 0% of 20%

Extra Features: 0% of 10%

Successful check: 3% of 5%

Remarks
In your project, you have decided to use a forum. The contest is for a design of a database of your own not using peoples own.You also don't know how to do versioning, you had to create a new repo for your project, I don't know what happened to the other one, you could have updated it. See you next time.
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by sisqology(m): 9:28pm On Jul 09, 2014
Folayemi Bello AKA Phourxx

Python (Django)

Code Neatness: 13% of 15%

Rules Adhering: 10% of 15%

Offficial Rules by language: 7% of 10%

Project Features: 12% of 20%

Extra Features: 3% of 10%

Remarks

You have a nice job. However, you may need to improve in some parts in the future, on your landing page, there is no register link. The only time you get to see the link is when a user has signed in and signed out. What If I'm not yet a registered user? How do i find the registration form? You have validated your forms well; kudos. Your code is neat enough and I like your consistency between your methods and classes. Your project arrangement has some difficulties, your project main folder should not contain views.py, etc. You should have only configuration files there. In the future, you may learn to use 2 spaces between every different class and 1 between every different method or vice versa. Your project ran well and no errors were found. However, the way you do your url to view threads is a bit off, you have done "www.example.com/thread_id/view_thread", so it means i can enter any random ID and append "/view_thread" to it? In the future, you can decide to use slugFields, so it may be "www.example.com/thread_id/thread_slug". Why have you decided not to give every thread a title? Also, why have you decided to differentiate "received" and "sent"? I was expecting a normal "inbox-like" thing. You have also failed to make a user know what has happened if they have entered a wrong user name and/or password. No error message. See you in the next competiton.
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by sisqology(m): 9:30pm On Jul 09, 2014
torti C AKA nnasino

Java

Code Neatness: 15% of 15%

Code Indentation: 13% of 15%

Rules Adhering: 13% of 15%

Official Rules by language: 8% of 10%

Project Features: 20% of 20%

Extra Features: 10% of 10%

Remarks

As regards to validation you only validated against the database, you only checked if a username existed and if passwords matched. You failed to check if username, firstname or lastname were valid data probably with Regular expressions or if the password length or strength was good enough.
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by sisqology(m): 9:36pm On Jul 09, 2014
smiley
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by Dlastofmykind(m): 11:34pm On Jul 09, 2014
Thanks so much for ur corrections...... I'm really grateful.
I'll try to improve on them.
Anxiously waiting for the next challenge.
Long live Nairaland and all her members!
G bless!
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by Dlastofmykind(m): 12:08am On Jul 10, 2014
blueyedgeek: I've mailed you
I've seen it.
Thanks.
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by Dlastofmykind(m): 12:33am On Jul 10, 2014
@ boss sisqology and boss spikesC.... Can u pls pm me ur phone numbers?
Thanks.
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by Phourxx(m): 5:31am On Jul 10, 2014
Errmm...

Thanks a lot, I must confess I learnt a lot from the little u said... Will try and make some adjustment...

Once again, Thanks!!!
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by ViktorMartins(m): 5:39am On Jul 10, 2014
Thanks for the corrections!!
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by dozies1: 6:22am On Jul 10, 2014
Thanks for commenting on the little I did. I think I have more time in my hands so, will definitely finish in the next competition.
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by nnasino(m): 9:18am On Jul 10, 2014
Thanks, for all the corrections. I've also learnt a lot from the other users. features and all. Looking forward to the next competition.
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by dhtml(m): 9:39am On Jul 10, 2014
See you all in the next competition. I might be having a rather interesting surprise for the winner of the next season.
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by Djtm(m): 9:59am On Jul 10, 2014
dhtml: See you all in the next competition. I might be having a rather interesting surprise for the winner of the next season.
Toyota camry, 2014 model cheesy
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by dhtml(m): 10:29am On Jul 10, 2014
Djtm:
Toyota camry, 2014 model cheesy
You want indians to come and compete undercover ni? Just fried ***, wait, it is meant to be a surprise.
Re: Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners by zicjoe(m): 10:32am On Jul 10, 2014
dhtml: See you all in the next competition. I might be having a rather interesting surprise for the winner of the next season.
dhtml i saw it

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Job Offer Available With Reasonable Pay / How To Build Paystack Like System / Lack of funds can really be demotivating when self learning to code

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.