Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:43 AM

Our Doctor's Are Selfish-dr Adewale Owolabi M.B.B.S, MPH - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Our Doctor's Are Selfish-dr Adewale Owolabi M.B.B.S, MPH (1630 Views)

The Infertility Doctor: Are You Suffering From Infertility? Get Help Here >> / Mph (concentration In Biostatics In Epidemiology) Degree In Nigeria / Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Our Doctor's Are Selfish-dr Adewale Owolabi M.B.B.S, MPH by Nobody: 5:26pm On Jul 07, 2014
Dr. Adewale Owolabi is a health expert. In a chat with OMIKO AWA, he bares his mind on the ongoing strike by the Nigerian medical doctors.

Could you say the agitation by the Nigerian medical doctors is for the good of all and better healthcare for the country?

I think in trade dispute you see different unions particularly when government is an employer, acting for either benefit or condition of service review. I don’t think the case of the Nigerian medical doctors is an exemption; it is just that, sometimes, either the frequency or the reason or the process used in getting their grievances or voices heard are where the issues lie and not so much whether they should protest or not. It is not what they are protesting for that really matter, but what channels have they used to get them through and how patient are they, giving the sensitivity and the importance of their role in the society. I think those are the things we need to look at.

Would this strike not cause groups like the pharmacists, laboratory technicians and others associated with medical doctor to also go on strike?

I think the way strike or industrial disputes go in Nigeria is, when one part of the medical group calls it off, the other groups pick it up. When the doctors finish their agitation, the nurses, laboratory workers or the pharmacist will pick up theirs. Sometime instead of working as a team, you see them not flowing in the same direction. I spoke with one of my colleagues in government service about the strike, and he said, sincerely he does not know the reason they are going on strike. He was on his way to meet his medical director that he does not see any reason for the strike and this shows, sometimes, how loose some of the reasons for the strikes are. And looking at some of them, I discovered that a lot of them are really selfish; they are about condition of service, they are about some thing that could be discussed if given enough time to engage the public. For instance, I gathered that they want the structure of the Teaching Hospitals and Federal Medical Centres to be amended, they want the Medical Advisory Chairman to have deputies — four for Teaching Hospitals and three for Federal Medical Centres. They want hazard allowance of a minimum of N100, 000 per month, they want the process of climbing the ladder to level 17, which is the directorship, to be unhindered and by virtue of seniority and whether the person occupying the position is to be addressed as director or not, they want the appointment of the Surgeon General of the Federation. I could remember, 24 years I left Medical School, the issue of Surgeon General was on and I ask myself, if all these conditions are met, will it improve the healthcare of the nation? Will it make the Teaching Hospitals to work better? Will it improve the attitude of the medical team? Will it make the health indices that is abysmal for us as a nation to improve — that is talking about the maternal maternity rate, infant mortality rate, the communicable diseases and other health issues facing the nation. Would it make medical outcome better, would it reduce health tourism to India, a third world country like us, to stop? Would it make Nigeria to be a destination where people can get good medical care? Looking at this, I must say my guess is as good as yours.

I think the doctors are a bit selfish. I look forward to seeing a period when our medical doctors would match out on the streets to say because our mortuaries are smelling, they will not go to work until they put them aright. Go to some hospitals and see the bad state they are and you begin to wonder why don’t the doctors working there to use them as the basis of protest. It is because of this that I say the protest is selfish. It is selfish because we are not doing the right things that should make us get up as a nation.

Are you then saying the strike should be called off?

It takes two to tango, but I am not sure government is listening because any little thing government officials will fly to America or the UK for treatment. And if they are listening, I am not sure they are listening enough. Unfortunately, you don’t hear that a minister is admitted in one Teaching Hospital, except some months back a governor had an accident and was admitted at the National Hospital; that even made the news. So, the people you are talking to are not listening, any little thing they fly, they all have their private doctors and the means to travel abroad, even when we treat malaria better than those doctors they going to meet abroad.

However, all this boils down to the type of government we have as a nation, I think government on its own part is not sensitive to the plight of the people. Government has not done enough; they should have engaged the doctors to make sure this does not happen. Also, the doctors should have engaged the public, give enough warning to sensitise the public about their actions. It is like the Police Force or the Armed Forces going on strike. The medical profession is a sensitive profession that you should not allow for a break in their services. I don’t think the government and the doctors have shown enough maturity on the strike; there are egos flying here and there and I don’t know if these doctors even use the public hospitals or if they too fly abroad.

What does this strike portend for the nation and lives of the people?

My colleagues should go back to work, public opinion is not in our favour; in fact, the public does not see us as people that protect lives or have value for lives. They do not see doctors contributing to their well being anymore, they see us as people they need to go to because they have no choice. I am appealing we go back to work and engage the government more constructively; we should go to the public domain and elicit a debate. I don’t think a teacher earning N40,000 per month would be excited by the fight of the doctors for N100,000 hazard allowance, I am not saying the work doctors do are not hazardous; in fact, every work we do has some measure of hazards built in them, so everybody wants hazard allowance. I tell you if doctors are answered based on this, those who handle blood in the lab, the radiographers, nurses who dress wounds, even cleaners in the hospital will demand for hazard allowance. Doctors should go back to work and look for a health system that would restore the dignity of man, a system that would increase research, treat the vulnerable people and think less of what goes into our individual pockets.

We should rather engage government on the health bill that has been dancing in the house; it should be passed into law so that we can go back to primary healthcare to ensure we prevent diseases. The health bill is in fact a wholesome package that would bring to end some of the things agitated for by the Nigerian doctors. To show you how insensitive government is to the plight of the people, they are not talking about it, don’t be surprised that while the strike lasts political campaigns would be going on. If this were the United State or UK you will see the President or Prime Minister immediately addressing the public, because they feel the pulse of the people. Government needs to be proactive because if you don’t value life as a nation, you can’t enhance life.

SOURCE
http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/sunday-magazine-sp-509870158/169473-owolabi-both-government-and-doctors-should-think-of-the-people

1 Like

Re: Our Doctor's Are Selfish-dr Adewale Owolabi M.B.B.S, MPH by chucs: 5:44pm On Jul 07, 2014
Thank you very much sir. You said it all
Re: Our Doctor's Are Selfish-dr Adewale Owolabi M.B.B.S, MPH by jauntty: 6:09pm On Jul 07, 2014
At the end of the day....its always the poor masses that bear the blunt of the Strike.
Re: Our Doctor's Are Selfish-dr Adewale Owolabi M.B.B.S, MPH by armadeo(m): 9:08pm On Jul 07, 2014
Lets take Dr. Adewale Owolabi is a health expert opinion as the first. he bares his mind.

this is another opinion

MeAboki: In a house of 10, when only 1 is against the rest then something fishy must be going on, because all other 9 cannot be wrong.
Doctors greed and selfishness against other health workers is the cause of this wahala.
Imagine going on strike because:
you don't want others to graduate as consultants - even though anyone can become consultant in his own field
you don't others to be promoted to directors - even though the law entitles them to it
you don't want others to skip GL 11 - even though the law entitles them to it like other civil servants.
you want house officers & resident doctors to be paid teaching allowances - even though they are students & not teaching anybody.
You want to be given the highest Hazard allowance - even though there are others more exposed to hazards than you.
you want to take over control importation of laboratory reagents & equipment - even though there is the laboratory regulatory body (MLSCN) as provided by law
you want to head departments or organisations of other health professionals - e.g. NAFDAC even though they are not meant for you.
you do not want other professionals to head hospitals or become minister for health - even though these positions are essentially and purely administrative/political.

And the list goes on.....haba doctors, na una only be ppl?

The above post was by an individual making his opinion known concerning this issue by his reckoning this Dr is talking thrash since a high % of Drs wont support his opinion as expressed but that's beside the point.

here is a 3rd opinion an intellectual and unbised one if i may say so

nnewa: itz a pity our health system has degenerated to this. i must hold our health system planners, managers & policy makers responsible. itz either of d following:
1we hve lost d basics and grain of team work.
2 d team leader has lost d confidence of d members for reasons of his style of leadership, abuse of power, inability to maintain a balance among component members or an other.
3 an igbo adage has it dat wen a child is of age and demands certain entitlements, he becomes d bad child.
4 we want to retain processes as it has always been not caring if they need refinement.

many pple hv written and even wen attempting a fair analysis end up exposing & supporting their constituencies.
cant we make contributions without being sarcastic or make statemnts dat obviously
debase any people or job description to score points?. i hv a few questions:
1 wat is in d name consultants dat we must attain or defend
2 wen a doctor finally invites d services of another in his management of a a patient is it in a mere division of labour or recognition if d nxt person's ability.
3 some contributors make it look dat every person wants consultancy. cant there be requiremnts & qualifications b4 such is awarded & if one has met them wll it nt b given?
4 JOHESU consultant does it measure up to, diminish add or obscure d medical consultant.
5 wat is d clear threat d non medical consultant poses.
6 if d medical consultant owns d patient cant he lead a team of other non medical consultants in favour of d patient.
6 is there nothing a senior doc can learn frm a nurse about and in treating d patient and vice versa. if there is y pollute d arena dat can improve ur service. also a young hise officer newly engaged has a lot t learn frm his non doc colleagues. so a resident doc in training needs d input if others at diff stages to make it in his exams. y statements that sound disdainful.
7 where is d place of so many other brains who r actually bhind several breakthrus in medicine, d physicists biochemists microbiologists geneticists physiologists etc. i feel these are actually our heroes NOT whoever dat may play tingod
8 if headship of a hosp is managerial how can a non doc CMD who of course has a retinue of other clinical heads and a CMAC weigh negatively to d management if d patient.
9 wat may hv prompted JOHESU reawaking
10 y d bias of senior govt. officials in strike issues.
11 r there no seniors in these gps to sound caution.?

d adage of live and let live can guide us better. one does not tell his fellow man that there is nothing he can do because of your disposition. no little man is told dat to his face.

another

webincomeplus: Looking at things from a neutral perspective, all I see is hatred for doctors as well as inferiority complex.

from a johesuite grin grin grin

tunesoft:

I am a Medical lab scientist in one of the state hospitals. I have this strange feeling for doctors, hatred is the extreme form of what i feel about them. Its nothing personal. My family are JOHESU-mother is a nurse practising in the US for more than 16yrs, father is a pharmacist. 2 of my siblings are pharmacist and one a nurse. My mother watched the sunrise daily yesterday and kept on screaming. Theres no place in the US in which the other health workers heads. They are usually headed by doctors. Not all nurses are made consultants. You talk about consultant nurse when you talk about the legal aspect and they dont work in hospitals. Relativity is maintained everywhere in the health sector. Whats the debate about?
As hard as it is for me to write this, i want to be on the side of truth. The doctors in this country are not given the necessary respect that they need. Personally, i have read the 24 point demands and i think theres so much sense in it. The FG needs to do something about this. Lets join our hands and build our health sector. Health they say is wealth

my point one doctors opinion is just that his opinion as you can see different people from different areas have different opinions concerning this issue.

the only interesting thing is this

http://medifieldschoolhealth.com/team.php

thats the link to " Dr owolabis" organisation which am sure he heads.

tell me what you notice. grin grin grin grin
Re: Our Doctor's Are Selfish-dr Adewale Owolabi M.B.B.S, MPH by Oduduwaboy(m): 1:38am On Jul 08, 2014
Dr Adewale might have lost touch with reality cos he has been in private sector for a long time...
Anyway he gave his opinion ; one of 160 million nigerian opinions!
Re: Our Doctor's Are Selfish-dr Adewale Owolabi M.B.B.S, MPH by tosin2013: 7:21am On Jul 08, 2014
With due respect DR, u are spewing rubbish!!! grin grin

Were was d silly doc when johesu was on strike for weeks while docs were working ? Mtsceww Attention seeker embarassed embarassed

This nation is full of hypocrites!!
Re: Our Doctor's Are Selfish-dr Adewale Owolabi M.B.B.S, MPH by armadeo(m): 7:29am On Jul 08, 2014
tosin2013: With due respect DR, u are spewing rubbish!!! grin grin

Were was d silly doc when johesu was on strike for weeks while docs were working ? Mtsceww Attention seeker embarassed embarassed

This nation is full of hypocrites!!

I already answered this guy buy spam not deleted my post and banned me. I wonder why. Anyway the basic point of my response was its his opinion and he is entitled to it

. However have a look at his media health organisation. ( Google his name)

There are five people on that page. Please tell me what you notice.
Re: Our Doctor's Are Selfish-dr Adewale Owolabi M.B.B.S, MPH by armadeo(m): 4:47pm On Jul 08, 2014
Lets take Dr. Adewale Owolabi is a health expert opinion as the first. he bares his mind.

this is another opinion

MeAboki: In a house of 10, when only 1 is against the rest then something fishy must be going on, because all other 9 cannot be wrong.
Doctors greed and selfishness against other health workers is the cause of this wahala.
Imagine going on strike because:
you don't want others to graduate as consultants - even though anyone can become consultant in his own field
you don't others to be promoted to directors - even though the law entitles them to it
you don't want others to skip GL 11 - even though the law entitles them to it like other civil servants.
you want house officers & resident doctors to be paid teaching allowances - even though they are students & not teaching anybody.
You want to be given the highest Hazard allowance - even though there are others more exposed to hazards than you.
you want to take over control importation of laboratory reagents & equipment - even though there is the laboratory regulatory body (MLSCN) as provided by law
you want to head departments or organisations of other health professionals - e.g. NAFDAC even though they are not meant for you.
you do not want other professionals to head hospitals or become minister for health - even though these positions are essentially and purely administrative/political.

And the list goes on.....haba doctors, na una only be ppl?

The above post was by an individual making his opinion known concerning this issue by his reckoning this Dr is talking thrash since a high % of Drs wont support his opinion as expressed but that's beside the point.

here is a 3rd opinion an intellectual and unbised one if i may say so

nnewa: itz a pity our health system has degenerated to this. i must hold our health system planners, managers & policy makers responsible. itz either of d following:
1we hve lost d basics and grain of team work.
2 d team leader has lost d confidence of d members for reasons of his style of leadership, abuse of power, inability to maintain a balance among component members or an other.
3 an igbo adage has it dat wen a child is of age and demands certain entitlements, he becomes d bad child.
4 we want to retain processes as it has always been not caring if they need refinement.

many pple hv written and even wen attempting a fair analysis end up exposing & supporting their constituencies.
cant we make contributions without being sarcastic or make statemnts dat obviously
debase any people or job description to score points?. i hv a few questions:
1 wat is in d name consultants dat we must attain or defend
2 wen a doctor finally invites d services of another in his management of a a patient is it in a mere division of labour or recognition if d nxt person's ability.
3 some contributors make it look dat every person wants consultancy. cant there be requiremnts & qualifications b4 such is awarded & if one has met them wll it nt b given?
4 JOHESU consultant does it measure up to, diminish add or obscure d medical consultant.
5 wat is d clear threat d non medical consultant poses.
6 if d medical consultant owns d patient cant he lead a team of other non medical consultants in favour of d patient.
6 is there nothing a senior doc can learn frm a nurse about and in treating d patient and vice versa. if there is y pollute d arena dat can improve ur service. also a young hise officer newly engaged has a lot t learn frm his non doc colleagues. so a resident doc in training needs d input if others at diff stages to make it in his exams. y statements that sound disdainful.
7 where is d place of so many other brains who r actually bhind several breakthrus in medicine, d physicists biochemists microbiologists geneticists physiologists etc. i feel these are actually our heroes NOT whoever dat may play tingod
8 if headship of a hosp is managerial how can a non doc CMD who of course has a retinue of other clinical heads and a CMAC weigh negatively to d management if d patient.
9 wat may hv prompted JOHESU reawaking
10 y d bias of senior govt. officials in strike issues.
11 r there no seniors in these gps to sound caution.?

d adage of live and let live can guide us better. one does not tell his fellow man that there is nothing he can do because of your disposition. no little man is told dat to his face.

another

webincomeplus: Looking at things from a neutral perspective, all I see is hatred for doctors as well as inferiority complex.

from a johesuite grin grin grin

tunesoft:

I am a Medical lab scientist in one of the state hospitals. I have this strange feeling for doctors, hatred is the extreme form of what i feel about them. Its nothing personal. My family are JOHESU-mother is a nurse practising in the US for more than 16yrs, father is a pharmacist. 2 of my siblings are pharmacist and one a nurse. My mother watched the sunrise daily yesterday and kept on screaming. Theres no place in the US in which the other health workers heads. They are usually headed by doctors. Not all nurses are made consultants. You talk about consultant nurse when you talk about the legal aspect and they dont work in hospitals. Relativity is maintained everywhere in the health sector. Whats the debate about?
As hard as it is for me to write this, i want to be on the side of truth. The doctors in this country are not given the necessary respect that they need. Personally, i have read the 24 point demands and i think theres so much sense in it. The FG needs to do something about this. Lets join our hands and build our health sector. Health they say is wealth

my point one doctors opinion is just that his opinion as you can see different people from different areas have different opinions concerning this issue.

the only interesting thing is this

http://medifieldschoolhealth.com/team.php

thats the link to " Dr owolabis" organisation which am sure he heads.

there are 5 people there

tell me what you notice. grin grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Continues To Battle Ebola While Chikungunya Virus Breaks Out In The U.S / Health solution for Fibroid, Arthritis, asthma, Ulcer and typhoid / Neolife's Neolifeshake Drink For Weight Loss In 792g

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.