Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,596 members, 7,958,832 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 04:32 AM

Seriously, Doctors Are Small gods - Funke Egbemode (Sun News) - Health (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Seriously, Doctors Are Small gods - Funke Egbemode (Sun News) (27657 Views)

Doctors Are Now Taking Selfies Next To Women’s Vaginas While Delivering Babies / What The Doctors Are Saying:Opinions And Comments From Doctors Across The Nation / Stop Googling Your Symptoms. Doctors Are Sick Of It! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Seriously, Doctors Are Small gods - Funke Egbemode (Sun News) by armadeo(m): 6:19pm On Jul 11, 2014
double0seven:

@jppohilips

I strongly disagree with you that we should leave Canada, US, UK out of it. Why should we? Why should other health professionals be able to become consultants in other countries but in Nigeria it must not be so because of the insecurities or fear of doctors.

What should be done I say again is to address those fear and securities. You can't say no no no... this must never be.

The way I see it, doctors are trying to be in Nigeria what their counterpart are not in other countries.

How come the consultants of other countries have not taken over patient care over from the doctors? Whatever is that reason. it should be replicated here.

But I know you're are not interested in any of this. Let me tell you. The world is changing. Repression will always give way to the pressure of change.

For how long do you think doctors can prevent other health professionals from becoming consultants. If there are becoming consultants in other parts of the world, then eventually, doctors will not be able to stop it from happening in Nigeria. Try and learn something from history. It's just a matter of time.

The earlier doctors comes to terms with this the better.

phantom: JP Philips.........flawless opinion as usual. I just wish the average Nigerian had just half your foresight. if they did,we would be in the hospitals working.
there is no doubt consultant nurses and pharmacists exist outside these shores.johesu is quick to throw that in our faces.but they become brain dead when they have to look up the QUALIFICATIONS that go with those posts.

I would appreciate a link from any of them that proves that consultant nurses and pharmacists are HOSPITAL BASED and I would also like a link where the qualifications needed are outlined.

if you own your private establishment according to the lawless Nigeria you can call yourself what you want but in the govt hospital its a no. answer the above op and lets take it from there.
Re: Seriously, Doctors Are Small gods - Funke Egbemode (Sun News) by dBard: 6:36pm On Jul 11, 2014
jpphilips:

There is no doubt you may be a guru in Biochemistry or physio, but Imagine where the doctor has to be a guru in your field and other fields you may not have heard of?
so tell me honestly, who deserves to own the patient on merit? you "one way guru" or the doctor who happens to be an "all round guru", answer honestly.

The day a physiotherapist heads a hospital and a Biochemist owns a patient that day will be my last in any Nigerian hospital running such insane structure.

the problem with Nigerians is that they don't have a fore sight, they don't know how to analyze scenarios and fix culpability where it belongs, It begs whether the average Nigerian is even educated.
JOHESU's demand will kill more patients than this strike, but you guys refuse to see, when it manifests you run to courts and ojota in protest, or perhaps, run to the church as usual.

The subsidy removal was announced April 2011, Nigerians being dumb people did not protest, why? because they were not able to string the relationship between subsidy and increased cost of living.

January 2012, they went to the gas station and met triple the price of gas, they went to transport companies and saw triple the fare, they took to the street and started disturbing Ojota, meanwhile the 2012 budget did not even carry the so called subsidy because the Govt thought the people were Ok! with it.

the demonstrations even came to the politicians as a surprise which begs the question? why was there no protest before January?
Ans: the average Nigerian is a m0r0n who doesn't know, foresee or understand how govt policies affect him, fortunately, Our doctors have proved they are no ordinary Nigerians, they have shown they have the academic will to look into the future to analyze the demerits of this Govt senseless policy and have the strength to stand up to it.

Liken this present scenario with President Sarkorzy's Labor law, in less than 24hrs, Paris was shut down in protest, people were able to analyze critically the demerits of the law because they have functional brains, what do we get in Nigeria, people who cannot think beyond their lips insulting and crucifying doctors, for fighting for their own future.

If Nigerians have sense, they should be on the street with placards protesting for the law to be reversed, the TUC and NLC should be on solidarity strike, that will spare the doctors the stress of going on strike and concentrate on their jobs, but hey! we are Nigerians whose IQ rival that of a Nematode for us to have the temerity to insult doctors for saving our future.

Has any of you including the Sun news writer taken time to juxtapose the curriculum of the Doctor with that of JOHESU members? none of them came close at consultancy level, and I will challenge any of you to prove me wrong. with such ridiculous curriculum you want to head the hospital and own the patient? kai, Nigeria is a disgrace as a country. As a matter of fact, the Health minister or whoever proposed that nonsense should be jailed without trial.

A consultant lab scientist can never own a patient, not any member of my family, God forbid! and forbid again. The NMA MUST not allow this sacrilege to happen, unless they expand their curriculum to be a par with doctors, anything short is not acceptable!!

but then, what do I know, JOHESU is interested in only the benefits, that is why they say the doctors are stopping them from getting a higher pay, when will JOHESU strike for their curriculum to be broadened so they will be a par with the doctors in academia? I am still waiting for that day!!

To JOHESU, it is about the benefits and money, to Doctors, it is about a senseless govt who wants to torpedo academic superiority and enthrone mediocrity in our health care delivery.

God forbid!!

U sir are one of d few with understanding..not necessarily cos of d support but because ur views are borne out of a critical understanding of d issues @hand.
Thank you.
Re: Seriously, Doctors Are Small gods - Funke Egbemode (Sun News) by Cityguy: 7:22pm On Jul 11, 2014
lionelrobben: yes dis is true. sum mths back I had maleria. da docta no gree treat me. he said i should hand ova my BB. i tell am say no, na di only fon wey i get. he said he no fit treat me till i dash am all my female BBM contacts. diaris god ooo
This is very interesting. Hahahahahaha
Re: Seriously, Doctors Are Small gods - Funke Egbemode (Sun News) by Cityguy: 7:40pm On Jul 11, 2014
annoymous:

You first. Naija doctors don't need customised plates. That is not on the list of things they request of the govt. That was a request by the NMA before the strike and it didn't go down well with most doctors. If doctors are fools, what does that make you?
I wanted to quote the scum before but then changed my mind cos he's not worth the effort.
Re: Seriously, Doctors Are Small gods - Funke Egbemode (Sun News) by Cityguy: 7:54pm On Jul 11, 2014
chioma134:
I'll take that as a compliment. Thanks.
That's maturity sister.
Re: Seriously, Doctors Are Small gods - Funke Egbemode (Sun News) by ALAYORMII: 10:14pm On Jul 11, 2014
Akshow: this article be as e get o. Abi na d hunger wey de waya me? Cos I don't know what to make out of the tone of the writer. Is he pleading, sarcastic, commending, adoring or plainly just being silly

The Doc are important, hell yeah! So is the mechanic that fix the ambulance. So is d teacher that taught the Doc from crech to uni. So is d carpenter that makes his furniture and the nanny that takes care of his baby. I find it very callous when Doc go on strike though I know d govt are not helping matters. I think its against the ethics of their profession and the oath they swore...well that's just my opinion. Let's pray many people don't end up in d mortuary before the govt meet their demands.

Guy, I doff my hat for you

You have said it all.

If the teachers don't teach a Doctor, where will he/she be?

Nobody is useless, we all complement each other.

A Doctor can not fix his own car, its the job of a mechanic.
A Doctor can not build his own house, its the job of a Bricklayer.
A Doctor can not sow his own cloth, its the work of a Tailor.
A Doctor can not protect his own life agaist robbers, its the work of the security forces.
A Doctor can not mend his own shoes, its the work of a Shoemaker.

We all work in tandem to help each other

3 Likes

Re: Seriously, Doctors Are Small gods - Funke Egbemode (Sun News) by double0seven(m): 10:41pm On Jul 11, 2014
armadeo:

if you own your private establishment according to the lawless Nigeria you can call yourself what you want but in the govt hospital its a no. answer the above op and lets take it from there.

I get it now; you guys want a different set of rules for Naija.

it doesn't matter what's happening in other countries, your own is that it must happen here for Naija.

As much as I try to see your points which is vituperated through so many fine grammar and eloquent writing, I can't get past the fact that your struggle is about self centeredness.

You wish to establish a caste system in Nigeria health sector which is not obtained in advances countries. Reminds of the caste system of white vs black before the whole thing crashed.

Dress it with embroidery however you like, the truth is your mission is self-serving, stop pretending you're doing because of any patients.

3 Likes

Re: Seriously, Doctors Are Small gods - Funke Egbemode (Sun News) by armadeo(m): 11:02pm On Jul 11, 2014
double0seven:

I get it now; you guys want a different set of rules for Naija.

it doesn't matter what's happening in other countries, your own is that it must happen here for Naija.

As much as I try to see your points which is vituperated through so many fine grammar and eloquent writing, I can't get past the fact that your struggle is about self centeredness.

You wish to establish a caste system in Nigeria health sector which is not obtained in advances countries. Reminds of the caste system of white vs black before the whole thing crashed.

Dress it with embroidery however you like, the truth is your mission is self-serving, stop pretending you're doing because of any patients.

where in the world is it obtainable. the post i quoted asked two questions

1. where in the world are these consultants practicing in the teaching hospital setting
2. what where the qualifications required for them to attain this status.

after all its international practices, lets know how and why they got there before trying to import it.

there is no caste system in the health sector just division of labor which is what team work is all about.

let me add a third question on the issue of consultancy , what exactly do johesu members as consultants want to do that they aren't doing now, how does a johesu consultant benefit the patient.

1 Like

Re: Seriously, Doctors Are Small gods - Funke Egbemode (Sun News) by Hearme(m): 11:15pm On Jul 11, 2014
MOBBDEEP:
See yourself !!!
What makes you think he's not right after all?
PhD is purely an academic training lasting 4-5yrs with research & thesis submission.
Postgraduate Medical Training lasts 6-10yrs with combined academic & clinical training rounded off with a robust research experience & thesis.
A resident physician is more likely to fail his/her exams.
By the way, the foundation sets them apart since a doc spends > 6yrs in schl while the PhD scholar spends at most 5yrs in respect to the 1st degree!
Do you still think he's outright wrong saying that ?

Your Fellowship is equivalent to a diploma in Nigeria. It's not a university program and you can also check in developed countries the difference between the two. As I have said earlier, he will continue to reap his seed of discord, and that will hunt him for a life time except he calls his men to order.

It is demonic for you to seek progress but don't want others to progress. Obasanjo is a man that fits you chaps. By now another parasitologist or pharmacist would have become minister of health. SURGEON GENERAL KOR DR GENERAL NI. Even the non-surgical related consultantancy fields amongs you are opposed to it.

1 Like

Re: Seriously, Doctors Are Small gods - Funke Egbemode (Sun News) by franklininu: 11:16pm On Jul 11, 2014
its so annoying when dr claim they know and can do the work of other health professionals.. stop trying to fool public. The first Dr i worked wit in a private hosital, he is a nice man and respect him alot. but the sad thing is that He was using his trained nurses to run test in his lab. Some of these nurses didnt even finish secondary school but they are there giving out unimaginable results. I then look at one slide prepared by these nurses for malaria parasite under the microscope. I then ask them pls show me the malaria parasite, they end up showing me red blood cells. I was like really? They said thats what the Dr taught them. So i went to call the Dr to clearify things. To my greatest surprise he was pointing crenated red blood cell as malaria parasit which resulted from poor fixing.I didnt border to correct him bc pride factor may follow. This is just simple malaria. I also know what i pass through trying to show another dr how to identify the organism that causes TB under the microscope bc he is finding hard to spot them and at the end of the day he end up say "these things can only be identify by trained eyes". Thes are just some of the simple things in lab yet... if one of these dr is here they wil be the first to say they can do the work of a nurse, medical lab scientist, pharmacist etc
your good in ur feild but dont over do it.

Dr The world is big enough to contain everybody.

3 Likes

Re: Seriously, Doctors Are Small gods - Funke Egbemode (Sun News) by double0seven(m): 11:33pm On Jul 11, 2014
What pharmacists do and where
they work

Pharmacy is not just about filling prescriptions. it
is about promoting health awareness and
contributing to the betterment of the community.

Pharmacists may: prepare or supervise the
dispensing of medicines, ointments and tablets
advise patients on how their medicines are to be
taken or used in the safest and most effective
way in the treatment of common ailments advise
members of the public and other health
professionals about medicines (both prescription
and over-the-counter medicines), including
appropriate selection, dosage and drug
interactions, potential side effects and therapeutic
effects select, give advice on and supply non-
prescription medicine, sickroom supplies and
other products develop legally recognised
standards, and advise on government controls
and regulations concerning the manufacture and
supply of medicines work in the research and
development of medicines and other health-
related products be involved in the management
of pharmaceutical companies.

Community pharmacists dispense prescriptions,
provide advice on drug selection and usage to
doctors and other health professionals, primary
healthcare advice and support, and educating
customers on health promotion, disease
prevention and the proper use of medicines..

Consultant pharmacists are either employed by
community pharmacies or hospitals, or are self-
employed and contract with community
pharmacies to provide medication reviews for
residential care or ambulatory care patients and/
or other medication-related cognitive services.

Hospital pharmacists operate as part of a
healthcare team and are involved in monitoring
medication usage, counseling patients, providing
drug information and advice to health
professionals and the community, conducting
clinical trials and preparing products for patient
use. They usually have a lot of contact with other
health professionals and members of the public.
Industrial pharmacists undertake research and the
development, manufacture, testing, analysis
and marketing of pharmaceutical and medical
products.

Outside the square and going places: Pharmacists
also work as locums and in fields such as the
military, law, journalism, academic
teaching, research, pharmaceutical policy and in
rural and remote areas, and even abroad.

http://www.psa.org.au/about/pharmacy-as-a-
career/what-pharmacists-do-and-where-they-
work

1 Like

Re: Seriously, Doctors Are Small gods - Funke Egbemode (Sun News) by double0seven(m): 11:36pm On Jul 11, 2014
pharmacist - Job description

Hospital pharmacists
Job Description

Hospital Pharmacist work in a hospital pharmacy
service, primarily within the public sector. They
are experts in the field of medicines and are not
only responsible for the dispensing of
prescriptions but also the purchase, manufacture
and quality testing of all medicines used in a
hospital. Many hospital pharmacists are qualified
to prescribe in their own right. Pharmacists work
closely with medical and nursing staff to ensure
that patients receive the best treatment, advising
on the selection, dose and administration route.

They also provide help and advice to patients in
all aspects of their
medicines. The role of a hospital pharmacist can
extend outside the hospital with responsibility for
medicines in health centres, nursing homes,
hospices and general practitioners' (GP)
surgeries.

Typical work activities Hospital pharmacists are
medicine experts and tasks may include: checking
prescriptions to ensure that there are no errors
and that they are appropriate and safe for
the individual patient; providing advice on the
dosage of medicines and the most appropriate
form of medication, for example, tablet, injection,
ointment or inhaler; participating in ward rounds,
taking patient drug histories and involvement in
decision-making on
appropriate treatments; liaising with other
medical staff on problems
patients may experience when taking their
medicines; discussing treatments with patients'
relatives,

community pharmacists and GPs;
ensuring medicines are stored appropriately and
securely;
supervising the work of less experienced and less
qualified staff;
answering questions about medicines from within
the hospital, other hospitals and the general
public; keeping up to date with, and contributing
to, research and development; writing guidelines
for drug use within the hospital and implementing
hospital regulations;
providing information on expenditure on drugs;
preparing and quality-checking sterile
medications, for example, intravenous
medications;
setting up and supervising clinical trials.

More experienced pharmacists may be involved in
teaching, both within the pharmacy department
and in other areas of the hospital.

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/
hospital_pharmacist_job_description.htm
Re: Seriously, Doctors Are Small gods - Funke Egbemode (Sun News) by Hearme(m): 11:49pm On Jul 11, 2014
jpphilips:

[color=#000099]There is no doubt you may be a guru in Biochemistry or physio, but Imagine where the doctor has to be a guru in your field and other fields you may not have heard of?
so tell me honestly, who deserves to own the patient on merit? you "one way guru" or the doctor who happens to be an "all round g

The day a physiotherapist heads a hospital and a Biochemist owns a patient that day will be my last in any Nigerian hospital running such insane structure.

St Gerald Hospital is run by an administrator. Its a big hospital in Kaduna in which many consultants and other health professionals do work. We only have a weak law here in Nigeria. That an issue has been legitimate for a thousand years does not make it right. We as individuals must embrace change. What I expect the NMA to do is not to begin to antagonize but as intellectuals think well to fight a good cause for their members. E.g Technologist in the universities fought for an upgrade of their Hazard allowance they got it, but a science lecturer who is involved in the practicals and research does not earn that hazard allowance because his union did not fight for that thus all lectures irrespective of the position earn 4K as hazard per annum which is equivalent to about 333.33 naira montly. NMA should think deep and act like the senior union rather than arguing and quarrelling. Remember ASUU fought during the strike but what was released was for all unions even though it was only the salaries of ASUU members that were stopped.
Re: Seriously, Doctors Are Small gods - Funke Egbemode (Sun News) by double0seven(m): 11:53pm On Jul 11, 2014
ms. BugLady's Path... A
Career in Laboratory
Science
Sally S. Cherry, BS, MT
(ASCP)...

Experiencing the Career Path as an ASCP-certified Medical Technologist

While in high school, my primary career goal
was to become a certified Medical
Technologist. Thanks to a tenth grade biology
teacher, I was introduced to the exciting
world of laboratory science . "Ms. BugLady's
World" evolved because this perceptive
teacher encouraged students to pursue their
career interests. These actions lead to my
present work with middle and high school
students... introducing them to various
laboratory and technology careers.

Upon graduation, I attended Morgan State
University located in Baltimore, Maryland. At
Morgan State(MSU), I majored in Medical
Technology and completed my medical
technology training at Union Memorial
Hospital - School of Medical Technology
(UMH-MT). After a twelve-month internship, I
received a Bachelor of Science degree in
Medical Technology from MSU, and a
Certificate in Medical Technology from UMH-
MT.

After college, I worked in medical research at
the Carnegie Institute of Washington -
Department of Embrology . During this time, I
took and passed the Board of Registry of the
American Society of Clinical Pathologists
(ASCP) national certification exam for medical
technologists. I had accomplished my primary
career goal... to become a certified Medical
Technologist. I had earned the right to use
the initials, "MT(ASCP)", after my name to
show proficiency in medical technology.
Shortly after, I accepted a medical
technologist position in the Bacteriology Lab
at a local hospital. Another goal had been
reached... to work in medical microbiology
with "the bugs".

In the early 70s, a patient's death due to a
disseminated gonococcal infection propelled
my interest toward the management of
sexually transmitted diseases. This interest
lead to graduate work in community health,
and the decision to enter public health. The
delivery of laboratory services in STD clinics
became my professional focus. After several
years as a bench medical technologist, I
entered public health as the laboratory
coordinator at the Baltimore City Health
Department - Bureau of Disease Control under
the supervision of Dr. David Glasser and Dr.
John Hume.

Through the work in public health, I
discovered another career opportunity...
medical laboratory training. My professional
goal is to help others understand how and
why various laboratory procedures are
performed in the identification of
microorganisms commonly associated with
sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and
sexually transmitted infections (STIs). Over
the years, medical laboratory training have
lead to opportunities in laboratory consulting,
international travel, and long-distance
technology.

The laboratory consulting work lead to
assignments as a national medical trainer,
and an international medical consultant. The
various "field" assignments enabled me to
work with other medical professionals in
Turkey , Kenya, Egypt , and Uganda . These
assignments have been challenging and
rewarding experiences.
The critical role of the medical laboratory
offers unlimited career opportunities . It is true
that...
In a career full of options,
many choices cultivated the diverse world of
"Ms. BugLady"!

http://cherrynetwork.weebly.com/lab-career-path.html

If you worked in a teaching hospital for 20 years, is not on your job that you will become a consultant.

Is it when an organisation like WHO etc comes and they want the service of a consultant, you'll tell them: though Ivhave experience of 25 years, I have not being able to become a consultant. But you just take me on, after 3 years, I will just become a consultant by virtue of my many years of experience as Chief medical laboratory scientist in UCH.....
Re: Seriously, Doctors Are Small gods - Funke Egbemode (Sun News) by double0seven(m): 12:02am On Jul 12, 2014
this is part of the mission statement of the University of Delaware, Department of Medical Laboratory Sciences

Medical Laboratory Science (Biomedical
Sciences) is related to the prevention, diagnosis
and therapy of disease through the understanding,
application, and performance of clinical laboratory
analyses. This major prepares students for
national certification as medical laboratory
scientists through the American Society for
Clinical Pathology Board of Certification (ASCP
BOC).

The curriculum is a four-year undergraduate,
professional program, accredited by the National
Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory
Sciences (NAACLS). The major prepares students
for career entry into the medical laboratory
profession. In addition to working as clinical
professionals, UD medical laboratory science
graduates are doing research and development,
sales, and technical consulting. Other professional
career paths include medicine and physician
assistant.

Currently, more than 50 percent of the medical
laboratory scientists employed in Delaware’s
medical laboratories are graduates of UD’s
program, the only four-year program in the state.

http://www.udel.edu/mls/

This shows, they can go into technical consulting. is not on their jobs they will become consultants. Of course with the necessary stringent requirements necessary.

Are you saying those working in an hospital must quit their hospital jobs first before they can aspire to be consultants?
Re: Seriously, Doctors Are Small gods - Funke Egbemode (Sun News) by double0seven(m): 12:09am On Jul 12, 2014
........Advanced careers

Biomedical scientists go onto build on their
generic knowledge with masters degrees,
professional qualifications and professional
doctorates.These optional qualifications help you
to develop advanced specialist skills or adopt
senior roles and responsibilities. Consultant
biomedical scientists are those with highest
qualifications and expertise who have reached the
top of their profession.
Biomedical scientists can also become 'Chartered
Scientist' which is an internationally recognised
benchmark of quality and excellence.

Life as a biomedical scientist........

https://www.ibms.org/go/biomedical-science/careers-jobs/careers
Re: Seriously, Doctors Are Small gods - Funke Egbemode (Sun News) by double0seven(m): 12:29am On Jul 12, 2014
Anyone that can take a little time to read what is below or at least a significant part of it will learn many things: how doctors have plotted suppress other health sector professional over the years......

http://www.medicalworldnigeria.com/2014/04/association-of-medical-laboratory-scientists-of-nigeria-rejoinder-to-mdcan-and-assopon

The attention of the Association of Medical
Laboratory Scientists of Nigeria (AMLSN) has
been drawn to the malicious, spurious and
unfounded allegation of harassment and assault
by the Medical and Dental Consultants

Association (MDCAN). In a caption: 'Medical,
dental consultants seek streamlining of health
sector laws, May reject lab results not endorsed
by pathologists' in “The Guardian” newspaper of
st Friday, March 21 2014 page 5, as well as
“Vanguard” newspaper of Wednesday March 26th,
2014 page 46 captioned: 'Medical consultants
allege harassment by hospital laboratory
scientists, threaten to withdraw services if
government fails to guarantee safety'.

AMLSN has further noted the public notice issued
by the Association of Pathologists of Nigeria
(ASSOPON) in the Guardian and Daily Trust
newspapers of Wednesday, April 2, 2014. AMLSN
is compelled to respond to the sentimental
falsehood being peddled by MDCAN and
ASSOPON so as to put the records straight and
avoid a situation where silence is mistaken for
acquiescence.

The facts are as follows:

1. Medical laboratory scientists have neither
harassed nor assaulted anybody in any Nigerian
hospital. It is a well known fact that medical
laboratory scientists are about the most patient,
rationale and law-abiding group of healthcare
professionals in Nigeria. Medical laboratory
scientists have always exercised restraint,
disciplined conducts, rational discourse and
recourse to the law courts for redress whenever
they have been denied their rights. The records
are there to www.medicalworldnigeria.comprove
this assertion: in 1975, our Association won its
case with the Federal Ministry of Health over call
duty allowance both at the Industrial Arbitration
Panel and at the National Industrial Court. It was
also the case in 1992 and 1993. The most recent
is the landmark judgment of the National
Industrial Court of rd Nigeria on the 23 October,
2013 in Suit No. NICN/ABJ/128/2012: Association
of Medical Laboratory Scientists of Nigeria vs.
Hon. Attorney-General of the Federation, Hon.
Minister of Health & others in which the
honourable court ruled and ordered that medical
laboratory science is a distinct healthcare
profession by the laws of the Federal Republic of
Nigeria deserving to be so recognized and to
have its Directorate as enshrined in the statutory
scheme of service.

2. It is laughable that MDCAN and ASSOPON
have resorted to spurious allegations and crying
wolf in order to divert the attention of the public
from its lawless conduct which is fueling the
atmosphere of acrimony and disharmony in the
health sector. The Medical and Dental
Consultants Association has sort to impose its
members to head every imaginable service and
activity in the hospital against clear government
statutory rules and regulations and even
subsisting court judgments. It wants to head
Engineering services, Wards and clinics, Security,
Energy, and Laboratory services etc. in the name
of being the 'only professionals' in the health
sector. The Honourable Minister of Health is
unfortunately and unwittingly aiding and abetting
this clamour by his assertion that the “hospital
is totally the doctors' territory” in the interview
he granted the Guardian newspaper.

3. The public can now appreciate why there has
been vehement resistance by other health
professionals to Section 1, subsection 1 of the
National Health Bill. The subsection seeks to
make the bill the omnibus regulator of all health
professions by usurping the statutory regulatory
mandate of other health laws. It is a concealed
tactic by medical and dental practitioners to
legitimize their opposition to the regulatory
authority of the various health Councils and
Boards to regulate and enforce practice standards
to protect the public. They claim they can and will
practice pharmacy, nursing and midwifery,
medical laboratory science, physiotherapy,
radiography etc. without the regulatory control of
the relevant professional Councils as specied by
law. Lawlessness and impunity at its worst
display! They need to be reminded that orthodox
healthcare practice did not originate from Nigeria.
The continued attempt to obstruct nd prevent the
Pharmacists' Council, Nursing and Midwifery
Council, Medical Laboratory Science Council,
Radiographers Registration Board and indeed all
other regulatory agencies from enforcing practice
standards to protect the public in line with their
statutory mandate by MDCAN is an open
invitation to anarchy in the health sector.

4. The cock and bull story by ASSOPON about the
profession of Medical Laboratory Science
originating from the United States of America is
laughable. It is a fact that, UK colonized Nigeria
as well as the USA. That medical laboratory
practice had its origin in ancient Europe is well
documented; that medical laboratory science has
been practiced in Nigeria since 1922 is
documented. Standing history on its head to
massage bloated ego will serve no useful
purpose. Where and how any profession
originated is not the real issue. Nigeria is a
sovereign country that has subscribed to the rule
of law. No matter where and how any profession
originated, Nigeria has the right to enact laws,
rules and regulations to guide professional
services within its borders. The rule of the thumb,
arbitrariness and impunity in the health sector
which ASSOPON and MDCAN are advocating
breed lawlessness. Flouting court judgments and
court orders by hospital Managements such as
we are witnessing in
the Jos University Teaching Hospital, Jos is a
threat to civilized and orderly conduct which all
professionals worth their salt should always
condemn.

5. Clamoring to countersign laboratory results/
reports of investigations performed by licensed
medical laboratory scientists will add no value
whatsoever to the accuracy or authenticity of the
results. Indeed, international best practice in this
information age is to send medical laboratory
results electronically to the requesting physicians
for prompt diagnostic and therapeutic decisions.
It is pertinent to remind ASSOPON that its
attempt in 1991 to arrest the development and
growth of the profession by closing down
University degree programmes in Medical
Laboratory Science in Nigerian universities failed
woefully. Medical Laboratory Science is a distinct
healthcare profession with clear legal and
professional mandate.

6. Pathologists are licensed physicians trained to
attend to and treat patients with abnormalities in
their areas of specialization. Parading the
corridors in hospitals seeking to countersign
laboratory result forms of work performed by
medical laboratory scientists or struggling to
analyze specimens will in no way improve patient
care. License is original
authority derived from law to perform a specied
task. Medical laboratory scientists are highly
trained professionals empowered by law to do
their job. They are liable under the law for work
done by them. It is on record that
the Medical Defense Union in the UK had advised
pathologists against signing forms of work not
done by them which equates to
intellectual theft/plagiarism.

7. ASSOPON is not concerned about the teeming
Nigerian patients as it is obsessed with the
headship of a sector that is not within its core
professional purview. It is so intensely
embittered by the successful efforts of the
Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria
(MLSCN), a government agency, legally
mandated to reposition Medical Laboratory
Services in the country. A group that pretends to
care about the patients ought to place the
interest of those patients above pecuniary
professional interests, but not so for ASSOPON.

8. The Nigerian High Commissioner to India,
Ambassador Ndubisi Amaku revealed recently that
it cost Nigerian patients a
whopping sum of $350million to access various
levels and sorts of healthcare in India in 2013.
This is an indicting commentary on our
healthcare sector, especially the approach to
disease diagnosis. Rather than worrying about
this unending medical tourism and the efux of
scarce foreign exchange from our country,
ASSOPON seems preoccupied with puerile
polemics about who should head the medical
laboratory.

9. ASSOPON's penchant for unprovoked
aggression is becoming legendary and it is
capable of rubbing negatively on the image of
the entire medical profession. Anyone whose view
on anything is at variance with ASSOPON's own
is a potential target. First it was the respected
Hon. Ndudi Elumelu, Chairman, House Committee
on Health, now it is the US Centres for Disease
Prevention www.medicalworldnigeria.comand
Control and its implementing partners in Nigeria.
Their crime? Supporting MLSCN programmes to
build capacity and upgrade
medical laboratory systems in the country. But
stakeholders are urged to treat such as the fury
of an unsuccessful suitor or the biblical woman
who requested Solomon to cut into two a baby
that is not hers rather than allow the rightful
mother take custody- a mere licking of wounds.
ASSOPON should be reminded that both CDC and
other International Partners are supporting
MLSCN purely on the merit of its various
proposals and mandates. One wonders how
ASSOPON leadership could merit such support
when it cannot correctly dene SLIPTA and SLMTA
even after MLSCN and its partners had trained
eight pathologists including
ASSOPON leadership on the rubrics of these
WHO-driven models for quality laboratory services
in Africa and beyond.

10. ASSOPON accuses CDC of divide and rule; it
attempts to instigate the public and state
governments against the MLSCN efforts to
improve medical laboratories. The group, driven
by pure ignorance or amnesia disregards the fact
that Health is in the concurrent legislative list,
which both federal and state governments share
and in the event of conict, federal laws prevail.
ASSOPON is making a mockery of the law and of
itself by stating thus: “As it stands today, it is
only the MDCN that has the regulatory standards
for different levels of laboratory, and operates in
collaboration with the State Governments in
realization of the fact that the ultimate power
over facilities in the states (other than Federal
Government facilities) resides with the State
Governments”. What really is ASSOPON's point
here if not to imply that MLSCN is at loggerheads
with state agencies? How low can this group
condescend?

11. Not satised with previous albeit unsuccessful
attempts to be recognized by the MLSCN Law
(Cap M25 LFN, 2004) and
later to get the law amended to suit their
purpose; ASSOPON now pretends that the law
does not exist or that its provisions are written
in language pathologists are incapable of
comprehending. The fact remains that the LAW
exists and it places the medical laboratory
scientists squarely in charge of the medical
laboratory.

12. Out of sheer desperation to further denigrate
medical laboratory scientists and score acheap
point, ASSOPON went as low as to dig up the
tragic and highly regrettable HIV case involving
Baby Eniola. This is the height of insensitivity
towards all those affected by that episode. It is,
therefore, pertinent for AMLSN to put the records
straight, and members of the public can verify the
veracity of the story which is as follows: It was
the then HOD Haematology- Dr Okany, a
pathologist that was responsible for the
procurement of the sub-standard HIV kits used for
the ill-fated test in Baby Eniola's HIV saga at
LUTH. Other processes and infrastructures such
as cold chain and unsuitable laboratory work
climate etc. were ignored by the Management.
But in the end, four medical laboratory scientists
were punished (Mr Ayelari, Mr Adeniyi, Mrs
Kazeem (retired compulsorily) while Mr Onifade
was demoted for not taking full charge of the
Haematology laboratory service in line with the
FGN approved Scheme of Service for medical
laboratory scientists. The primary assignment of
the then HOD, Dr Okany in the College was not
affected at all. His appointment as Consultant
was not terminated; instead, he was merely
removed as HOD and replaced with Dr Akanmu-
another pathologist.
Re: Seriously, Doctors Are Small gods - Funke Egbemode (Sun News) by double0seven(m): 12:30am On Jul 12, 2014
13. By legislation, scheme of service, training or
cognate knowledge, medical laboratory scientists
are the appropriate professionals to head medical
laboratory services. For, while the medical
laboratory scientist spends his entire six-year
period of undergraduate training studying medical
laboratory science, the medical doctor uses only
four months of his seven years of undergraduate
training to undertake introductory courses in
Laboratory medicine (equally weighted with M1S1
clinical
skills and pharmacology over a period of one
year) to enable him appreciate what test to
request for what disease conditions. This explains
why medical doctors cannot be produced without
the input of the medical laboratory scientists,
while the input of the pathologist is not a
prerequisite for the training of medical laboratory
scientists (Ref. curricula of BMLS & MBBS
programmes).

14. Furthermore, for purposes of specialization
after NYSC, the MLS takes additional minimum of
seven years of full-time studies to obtain
professional fellowship, M.Sc and Ph.D before
being appointed as a Consultant (Specialist) MLS
by health institution Boards. On the other hand, a
doctor training to become a consultant
pathologist (Specialist) undertakes only four years
of part- time training to obtain his professional
fellowship diploma since he has to concurrently
study, perform routine and on call clinical duties,
engage often in private practice and National
Association of Resident Doctors (NARD)
activism- equivalent of two years of full time
training. A simple comparative analysis of years
of cognate knowledge training of basic MLS and
Pathologist is at a ratio of 6:2.33 years while that
of Consultant MLS and Pathologist is at a ratio of
13:2.33 years in favour of medical laboratory
scientists. Given that the generally accepted
indices of epistemic professional authority are
years of cognate knowledge and training, it goes
without saying that the MLS is the appropriate
core professional in charge of Medical Laboratory
Services at all levels. This is recognized by the
approved scheme of service and by the law, a
fact ASSOPON's extravagant outpouring of
negative emotions cannot obliterate. It is left for
the public to then
judge who the dog is and who the tail is in
medical laboratory services delivery.

15. The recognized functions of the medical
laboratory scientists as far back as 1972, as
republished in the year 2000 and enshrined in the
Scheme of Service since 2001, specify that the
laboratory scientists are to conduct medical
laboratory investigations, interpret, design, modify
and take charge of general administration at the
various levels of lab services, while in keeping
with global practice, autopsy, clinical
interpretation of completed laboratory test results
to other doctors on specic requests, rendering
medical diagnosis or prescribing medical
treatment on the basis of such test results are
the proper functions for pathologists (Pitt &
Cunningham, 2009).

16. It is not for the love of the patients that
pathologists crave to abandon their primary
function as doctors to head the laboratory. The
handling of the budget and the procurement of
laboratory equipment, kits, reagents and
consumables in the lab whether they know which
is fake or not is part of the motivation for all this
conict (See above again for who procured the HIV
kits used in the Baby Eniola test!).

17. ASSOPON should be reminded that
developments in Medical Science as well as the
compelling requirements of the teeming
patients in Nigeria give no room for clannish
mentality or unnecessary obsession with
territorial turf or academic reminiscences. No
patient ever goes to the medical laboratory
merely to inquire about the history of the
profession; they go there to deservedly seek
reliable and reproducible laboratory test results
and reports. They derive no consolation from
ASSOPON's polemics or habitual belligerence.

18. Moreover, we commend the honourable
members of the House of Representatives who,
after an instructive debate last year,
ignored the pecuniary interests of some groups
and courageously mandated the House Committee
on Health to work with the
Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria
(and no other organization) to improve medical
laboratory services in the country.

19. As far back as 2003, AMLSN had
acknowledged the chaotic state of medical
laboratory services in the country where as
pathologists, driven by morbid fear of the MLSCN
Act as they still are now, had insinuated that all
was well within the system. In the Guardian of
Monday, November 17, 2003, AMLSN had noted:
“Presently over 60% of medical laboratory
reagents and chemicals in our markets are faked
and often stocked and distributed under
unsuitable conditions; over 50% of our
laboratories are exclusively and sometimes
willfully manned by unqualied personnel...
Medical laboratory services in Nigeria are,
therefore, far from being smooth running, as
pathologists and Medical and Dental Consultants
Association of Nigeria would want the public to
believe”. Mischievously, pathologists are now
insinuating that they told the public so in 2013!
Yet it was the MDCN that had demanded that the
status quo be maintained. The MLSCN simply
responded by encapsulating the ramications of
the status quo in case MDCN hadn't thought
about it.

20. That medical practice preceded Medical
laboratory Science practice is no justication for
the selsh pecuniary quest of pathologists to
continue to interfere with the legitimate duties of
Medical Laboratory Scientists. Mathematicians,
Engineers and Physicists who discovered
Computer Science do not crave to boss the later
day Computer Scientists. Ditto for the various
professional cadres in the building and nance
industries etc. The African Charter on Human
Rights, Nigerian Constitution and other such
instruments meant to protect basic human rights
all abhor slave trade, which was also abolished
over two hundred years ago as well as apartheid
in the eighties; hence the illegitimate ambition of
pathologists to lord it over lab services cannot
prevail. The FMoH is urged to do the right thing
by directing pathologists to hands off interfering
with laboratory services and concentrate on their
primary duties in specialized clinics, wards and
mortuaries in a manner akin to the r e l a t i o n
s h i p b e t w e e n C l i n i c a l
Pharmacologists and Pharmacists in pharmacy;
Trauma/Orthopaedic surgeons and
Physiotherapists in physiotherapy etc.
Pathologists' quest to head medical laboratory
services is as ridiculous as clinical
pharmcologists trying to head pharmaceutical
services.

21. AMLSN would also want to draw the
attention of ASSOPON to the “Polio Vaccine
Controversy” as captured in the Punch
newspaper of Monday, March 22, 2004 (pg62) as
follows: “AMLSN is happy to note that the Hon.
Minister of Health and Nigerians in general have
realized that the controversy over the safety and
efcacy of polio vaccines was only resolved by
laboratory tests conducted in Nigeria, South Africa
and Indiaexclusively by Medical Laboratory
Scientists and not by pathologists as ASSOPON
erroneously tried to claim”. Typically, when things
are going well in the laboratory, pathologists want
the credit; when they go wrong, they blame it on
medical laboratory scientists.

22. In continuation of its ego-trip, ASSOPON st
made reference to the 1 international conference
of the African Society for
Laboratory Medicine (ASLM), in Cape town, South
Africa in December 2012 where, according to
ASSOPON, the South African Health Minister, Dr.
Pakishe Aaron Motsoaledi attributed the success
of the country's laboratories to the availability of
many pathologists. But ASSOPON should have
gone further to inform the Nigerian public that the
National Health Laboratory
Service of South Africa, which manages about 300
public medical laboratories in that country has a
health scientist as its
CEO who is NOT a pathologist!.

23. Pathologists and other stakeholders are once
again enjoined to join hands with MLSCN to
improve medical laboratory services in the
country in the interest of the citizens of this
country who earnestly desire such.

24. AMLSN urges MLSCN not to be distracted by
those who value personal quest for leadership
above the interest of patients,
but rather continue to diligently pursue its lawful
mandate as enshrined in Cap M24, LFN 2004
without any let or hindrance
whatsoever so as to sanitize the present chaotic
state of medical laboratory services for the good
health of Nigerians
(ASSOPON being the prime driver of mediocrity in
the sector).medicalworldnigeria.com
CONCLUSION
AMLSN owes the patient and the public a
professional and lawful obligation to vigorously
pursue and uphold continuous
quality improvement of medical laboratory
services and indeed healthcare delivery in Nigeria.
No amount of posturing or
grandstanding by any group will deter us. We call
on NMA, MDCAN and ASSOPON to bury their
hatchet and partner with us in this
onerous task.

Nigeria will be better for it.

DR GODSWILL C. OKARA
NATIONAL PRESIDENT

1 Like

Re: Seriously, Doctors Are Small gods - Funke Egbemode (Sun News) by ziga: 12:54am On Jul 12, 2014
InvertedHammer: Doctors in Nigeria deserve to be paid well especially the specialists. My beef is that most of these folks got into M&S because their parents wanted them to be doctors for egotistical reasons.

I was walking some doctors at Asokoro Gen. Hospital through the basics of ABG(arterial blood gas) analysis and its clinical applications. To my chargrin, they have no clues about what the hell I was talking about outside glancing over it in the textbooks. Are these the doctors that treat patients in the hospital?

Nigeria should train their doctors well and pay them better. Until then, it is pointless engaging in this argument because I believe doctors in Nigeria are currently earning what they are worth. Most of them should be trained more in invasive procedures as well.

I agree with your point here that Nigeria should train their Doctors well and pay them better.

But saying that you believe they are earning what they deserve is absolutely contradictory to your first statement. because that means Nigerians are getting the kind of healthcare that they deserve based on how they treat their Doctors.
Re: Seriously, Doctors Are Small gods - Funke Egbemode (Sun News) by ziga: 1:13am On Jul 12, 2014
Being a Doctor is a job. Just like being an Engineer, a Farmer or an Actor.

If people are reasonable, you all know that a Doctor can't be your job all the time.

You have responsibilities towards your patients while you are at work.

But when you are not at work, you have responsibilities towards your wife, children, relatives, friends.

Some of those responsibilities involve paying bills, giving them your time and your love.

The Strike is an unfortunate situation and only reflects a failure of our leadership in Nigeria.

However, Doctors have a right to strike to press home their demands just like every other union in the country.

Being a Doctor is a calling, a job, a responsibility while you are on duty. But when you are not on duty you have a responsibility towards other people in your life.

When a Doctor is not on duty or is on strike as the case maybe, as harsh as it may sound, he is only responsible for whatever he chooses to be responsible for.

The Government and the people who we vote for are the ones responsible for ensuring adequate healthcare for Nigerians.

The big picture is that a human life means nothing to our Government and by extension, to most Nigerians. So, the amount of money that is put into the health sector is a reflection of the value that our Government places on Nigerian lives.
Re: Seriously, Doctors Are Small gods - Funke Egbemode (Sun News) by double0seven(m): 8:58am On Jul 12, 2014
armadeo:

where in the world is it obtainable. the post i quoted asked two questions

1. where in the world are these consultants practicing in the teaching hospital setting
2. what where the qualifications required for them to attain this status.

after all its international practices, lets know how and why they got there before trying to import it.

there is no caste system in the health sector just division of labor which is what team work is all about.

let me add a third question on the issue of consultancy , what exactly do johesu members as consultants want to do that they aren't doing now, how does a johesu consultant benefit the patient.

the public to then

2 Likes

Re: Seriously, Doctors Are Small gods - Funke Egbemode (Sun News) by armadeo(m): 9:42am On Jul 12, 2014
double0seven:

the public to then

Source
Re: Seriously, Doctors Are Small gods - Funke Egbemode (Sun News) by 3sha4lyf: 10:11am On Jul 12, 2014
Too many unnecessary arguments which doesn't solve the problem at hand. Typical of people to focus on the small issues and leave out the big picture.
#UnfollowPostPlease
Re: Seriously, Doctors Are Small gods - Funke Egbemode (Sun News) by phantom(m): 10:36am On Jul 12, 2014
After reading through the article by Alli John Adeolu, Chief Medical Laboratory Scientist of God knows where, I couldn't help but punch my keyboard in response to his distortion of facts. There will have been no need for a reply if it were only for his low quality unreferenced write up. NMA raised 24 demands, but for reasons best known to him, he decided to chose only 4.

I think there is no need for me to respond to the jaundiced comparison of Doctors to either our colonialists/imperialists or Boko Haram, that will be too childish. If one finds it difficult to differentiate civility from primitiveness and started comparing Nigerian Doctors with murderous groups, then I guess it is a waste of intellectual calorie to try to reply.

Chief, doctors are not superior to other health workers because the former spent 6 years in undergraduate school, sam sam. Professional superiority arises because of competitive knowledge advantage and nothing else. Even if you extend the study of medical laboratory science to 10 years, its certificate cannot be equivalent to that of MBBS because the curriculum differs, their roles differ. It is not a matter of theology; belief or unbelief.

The FMOH of Nigeria doesn't have directories, but rather directorates and they are 8 and not at least 5 and they are not all headed by Doctors. According to Presidential Committee on a Harmonious Work Relationship Amongst Health Workers and Amongst Professional Groups in the Health Sector chaired by Hon. Justice Bello A. Gusau, "By its approved structure, the Federal Ministry of Health has eight Departments, namely: Department of Human Resources; Department of Finance & Accounts; Department of Planning, Research & Statistics; Department of Procurement; Department of Hospital Services; Department of Public Health; Department of Family Health and the Department of Food & Drugs Services. Of the four Professional Departments, three are headed by medical practitioners while one is headed by a health professional who is not a medical practitioner." Do you propose a JOHESU to head Hospital Services, Public Health or Family Health?

Yes the CMD and the CMAC are doctors, but you failed to mention the latter is a director of clinical services representing all the clinical departments with a single vote just like the director of administration, director of Nursing etc. The CMD is a Doctor because the law said so, you can always go to court if you are not happy about that. No, Doctor mustn't head medical lab scientist, but a Doctor must head clinical laboratory. If you decide to open your private lab, no Doctor will lord over you, but then he won't use results.

Truth is Doctors don't hate you guys to have increase in salary, but their must be relativity otherwise what is the essence of adding quality to patient care? Wages are paid based on intellectual input here on earth, I don't know of other planets. No Sir, thats incorrect, Doctors do not earn a minimum of N250,000 in Federal Institutions and a very senior consultant N500,000. Either you didn't see the circular or you are distorting it. Wouldn't it have been easier to just reproduce it here and compare CONMESS and CONHESS, to see who is cheating who?

I want to believe even a junior staff knows salary is divided in to basic salary and allowances. Federal Ministry of Education pays lecturer-Doctors basic salary while Federal Ministry of Health pays them call and specialist allowance. Does that constitute double salary? You see, don't dabble in to something you have no knowledge of. Have you ever read the responsibility of a Consultant? Do you imagine the fellowship is just for his immediate environment and his services not required in the periphery? Please check the geographical radius a consultant is suppose to rotates.

Since you are not a constitutional lawyer, why don't you allow a competent court of law interprets what medically qualified means. Shikenan. You insinuated medically qualified applies to you, thats delusional. Read the act for the appointment of CMD again or get a translation.

You carelessly define the word consultant without a single reference in the hope the gullible and lazy populace wont crosscheck. Both Advanced learners English dictionary and Merriam Webster dictionary have two similar definitions for the word. As per the latter thus;
1. A person who gives professional advice or services to companies for a fee.
2. A hospital Doctor of the highest rank who is an expert in a particular area of medicine.

Let me attempt to explain one demand called consultant/specialist in clinical practice. In summary all doctors have the basic undergraduate degree called MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery); which of cos currently is a misnomer since the course covers many specialties apart from the traditional Medicine and Surgery. In those days doctors were either physicians or Barbers (Surgeons). Now after the basic degree, you can divide doctors broadly in to two; Medical Officers and Consultants/Specialists. In between you have House Officers/interns and Residents (Specialists in training). To be a specialist, requires an average of 6 years in an accredited health institutions. Ours is not the traditional PhD cos of the complexity of human diseases and the need for clinical knowledge. Thus it is a unique training combining theory and clinical skills at the same time. Example, one cannot have a PhD in Neurology, in fact its impossible cos of the numerous neurological conditions afflicting human populace ranging from infectious, inflammatory, degenerative, neoplastic, traumatic, metabolic etc with further subdivisions. Another example, one will attempt to have PhD in a degenerative disease called Dementia. I say attempt cos its not even practicable due to its numerous causes. To be a Neurologist, one must be drilled first in all medical specialties for at least 24 months and then in human neurological clinical conditions in the remaining time including a thesis in one of the entity. The other arm is Medical Officer who chose not to specialize rather improve themselves either through academic degrees or just progressed through conventional civil service. The hierarchy is thus in descending order; Consultant > Residents > Medical Officers > House Officers in terms of professionalism and quality of patient care. Specialists are suppose to see complicated cases or those with potentials to cause complications and or cases requiring advance care; there is no need for a consultant to see controlled uncomplicated hypertension or diabetes mellitus, uncomplicated malaria, typhoid, pulmonary tuberculosis etc. Now is it fair to compare a medical consultant with someone who did 3 year diploma course with 1-2 year post basic studies or even that with academic PhD? In the tertiary hospital, a Consultant is the final refined touch of any patient management. He owns the patient, leads the unit, teaches medical students and mentor residents. So if someone say has an MSc in iron deficiency anaemia and PhD in hemoglobinopathies (assuming not just theoretical academic degrees), will he then be appointed as a Senior Resident and Consultant Hematologist respectively? What if someone present with hemophilia or leukemia? Ok I hear you say no big deal, there are others that will specialize in those areas. That is correct, but how many consultants are you going to have in hematology, 1000? Thus in a hospital you will need like 500,000 consultants to manage just one centre! This of course is not practicable and that is why medical postgraduate training is very different and unique. It may interest you to know Medical Officers whatever their qualifications or years of experience are not candidates for CMD in the tertiary institution or even the secondary centers in the presence of a consultant. Again the position of a consultant itself has legal implications when it comes to litigation, autopsy or as expert witness. Patient care is under the consultant playing the central role not because of anything but for his strategic knowledge advantage. There is no need for a consultant to be in the primary health centres. So if the FG appoints other health workers as medical consultants, imagine the confusion. What role will they play, what value will they add to patient care? Let me elaborate on this, a lab scientist will insist a patient to use an antimicrobial drug based on laboratory drug sensitivity pattern irrespective of clinical outcome whereas a Consultant Medical Microbiologist or Physician will not so long the patient is responding to the initial empirical drug treatment even if the pathogen shows antimicrobial resistance on the plate. Another example is physician will not treat as emergency isolated case of hyperkalemia without cardiovascular examination and ECG even if scientist suggested such. Chest pain with rise in cardiac enzymes doesn't necessarily mean Myocardial Infarction.

There is an old age rivalry between Doctors and other health workers that can be traced right from undergraduate level. You may not have noticed it or probably studied outside the country, but it was there. Not only among them but surprisingly even among lawyers. There is this childish debate about who is learned. This gradually turned in to envy and now dangerously in to enmity. Just read their comments, articles or interviews, you can't possibly missed the unmistakable deep seated frustration and hatred. People have no qualms spreading falsehood among unsuspecting populace just for financial gains. The funniest thing is that those people bring their family and relatives to see Doctors (they never entrust such burden on their colleagues) and the elite promoting the discord all have Personal Physicians. Am not aware of personal this or personal that, but then I know very little. Again when you go to the private clinic and NGOs, everybody conforms to ethics, isn't it a wonder? Why then do we have confusion only in the tertiary health institutions? Everything is about money. Ok suppose one of them is appointed a consultant, what will be his job description, what input will he make in patient care? Some even want to be appointed directors at grade level 17, imagine. As a Doctor with MBBS my entry point is grade level 12 and 15 as a specialist, imagine how many directors a teaching hospital will have in the next 6 years or so. What will happen to other civil servants who have reached level 17 but not yet directors? What will happen to other workers with same qualifications who are not even suppose to reach directorate level?

You seem to be fascinated with USA and UK model of health system where you were eager to emphasize the qualification of hospital CEOs. Yes they do have non Doctors as ministers of health, but you failed to say they equally have office of the Surgeon General and Chief Medical Officer as well. Ironically you are not that keen to borrow their leaf on privatization of hospitals because of cost, but in actuality it is the fear of loosing your fight. Why not go all the way and clone their system here? You have to understand theirs is a capitalist economy and thus putting a non Doctor up there doesn't mean anything. A Doctor will always put patient first in his policy, obviously this is against the fundamental of capitalism.

By Ibrahim Toli

1 Like

Re: Seriously, Doctors Are Small gods - Funke Egbemode (Sun News) by lanrefront1(m): 12:28pm On Jul 12, 2014
hmmn...... see thesis....
Re: Seriously, Doctors Are Small gods - Funke Egbemode (Sun News) by lanrefront1(m): 12:30pm On Jul 12, 2014
hmmn...... see thesis....like research paper.. this thing na serious matter o grin grin
Re: Seriously, Doctors Are Small gods - Funke Egbemode (Sun News) by InvertedHammer: 1:07pm On Jul 12, 2014
ziga:

I agree with your point here that Nigeria should train their Doctors well and pay them better.

But saying that you believe they are earning what they deserve is absolutely contradictory to your first statement. because that means Nigerians are getting the kind of healthcare that they deserve based on how they treat their Doctors.

Yes. That's what they deserve. Doctors in Nigeria put in more work hours and handle more life-threatening situations sometimes more than other professionals. Their remunerations are not bad either.
No one gives what he/she has not. The doctors can only practice within their knowledge spectra which regrettably is very abysmal. Not that these folks are not intelligent. But the curricula on which their trainings are based are incomplete.
Re: Seriously, Doctors Are Small gods - Funke Egbemode (Sun News) by phantom(m): 1:18pm On Jul 12, 2014
InvertedHammer:

Yes. That's what they deserve. Doctors in Nigeria put in more work hours and handle more life-threatening situations sometimes more than other professionals. Their remunerations are not bad either.
No one gives what he/she has not. The doctors can only practice within their knowledge spectra which regrettably is very abysmal. Not that these folks are not intelligent. But the curricula on which their trainings are based are incomplete.
the bolded is not true otherwise you wouldnt have nigerian medical graduates after a few years of residency training abroad competing favourably.our problem here is mainly equipment. but if its basic medical knowledge,the principles remain the same.
Re: Seriously, Doctors Are Small gods - Funke Egbemode (Sun News) by ziga: 1:20pm On Jul 12, 2014
InvertedHammer:

Your statement is filled with contradictions. Doctor face and handle more life threatening situations, yet their scope of knowledge is abysmal

So, therefore. Nigeria's women and children deserve to die from Malaria, Pneumonia and other preventable or treatable medical problems in the hands of these Nigerian Doctors.

If that is your stand, i know you do not speak for the people of Nigeria and I pray you are not involved in making Nigeria's decisions.
Re: Seriously, Doctors Are Small gods - Funke Egbemode (Sun News) by InvertedHammer: 1:27pm On Jul 12, 2014
ziga:

Your statement is filled with contradictions. Doctor face and handle more life threatening situations, yet their scope of knowledge is abysmal

So, therefore. Nigeria's women and children deserve to die from Malaria, Pneumonia and other preventable or treatable medical problems in the hands of these Nigerian Doctors.

If that is your stand, i know you do not speak for the people of Nigeria and I pray you are not involved in making Nigeria's decisions.

Are you just typing for the heck of it?

They handle life-threatening situations. Yes.
How well they handle the situations calls for debate. This could be attributed to many factors such as lack of equipment, poor training, etc.

I hope you get the true picture now.
Re: Seriously, Doctors Are Small gods - Funke Egbemode (Sun News) by phantom(m): 1:38pm On Jul 12, 2014
InvertedHammer:

How well they handle the situations calls for debate. This could be attributed to many factors such as lack of equipment, poor training, etc.

the mammography machine in upth has been bad for months. if we fail to diagnose very early breast CA in an elderly woman,would you blame us?

the functioning ultrasound machine in upth is being run on PPP(can you imagine?in a federal govt hospital).the machine came without an endocavity probe so we cant properly assess the ovaries of a woman with infertility.
i can assure you that people will interprete the above as poor training not knowing we are seriously handicapped.
Re: Seriously, Doctors Are Small gods - Funke Egbemode (Sun News) by ziga: 1:46pm On Jul 12, 2014
InvertedHammer:

No I don't. I'm trying to tie your multiple statements together and they are contradictory.

So, because you think Doctors already get what they deserve, then the Nigerian people get what they deserve, and they deserve lack of equipment, poor training of the Docs supposed to treat them?

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

WHO- Ebola Survivors Blood To Be Used For Treatment / Syringe-manufacturing Company Packs Up, Cites Challenging Business Situation / Dr. Umoh Michael did not work for 72 hours - LUTH

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 193
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.