Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,740 members, 7,955,825 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 04:10 PM

Is It Disrespectful For A Wife To Expect Her Husband To Help With Chores? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Disrespectful For A Wife To Expect Her Husband To Help With Chores? (3485 Views)

Is It Polite For Husband To Seek Wife's Approval On This? / What Are Those House Chores That You Dont Like Doing? / Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Disrespectful For A Wife To Expect Her Husband To Help With Chores? by ihedinobi2: 3:28pm On Jul 11, 2014
I can get how a man's untidiness can piss off a woman. But ehn, I seriously am afraid of marrying a slob myself. I have a strong aversion to clutter. And I have seen a slob at close range. That one taught me that my occasional lapses into untidiness when I'm under serious psychological stress are not untidiness at all. Ha! I hear am o!

I have absolutely zero desire to live with a woman who will turn my house into a dump site. Hoarding all manner of junk like the economy will fail tomorrow; stuffing anything anywhere and having to search for it for eternity; forever wondering what should be cooked and whether it's even in stock at home. Good God! That would drive me stark out of it.
Re: Is It Disrespectful For A Wife To Expect Her Husband To Help With Chores? by damiso(f): 11:14pm On Jul 11, 2014
Efemenaxy1:

Lol! Did you watch the program about OCD's going out to slob's homes to help them out? It was hilarous watching both ends of the spectrum trying to find a common ground.

Most of the "dirty" people were willing to change. It's just that they let things get on top of them till it all got out of control...so looking at the pile of chores to be tackled was sort of depressing for them. The worst cases though were the hoarders. Jeez, now that set of people really do have mental issues. Every single item, old newspaper, bottle cover, pin, scrap, etc had it's use. A skip was hired for one guy whose home was literally filled up from floor to ceiling, but he was ever so reluctant to throw out anything. The most that was done was just a polythene bag or two of rubbish he allowed to let go...and even then, he put up such a fight! At the end of the program, the OCD sufferer could only clear out one room in the entire house.

Most of the junk was just shifted from pillar to post one room to the next. Sad really.

Anyway, I so get you about not sleeping comfortably knowing there's stuff that needs to be sorted out in the kitchen sink. I actually find cleaning (and ironing) theraputic. Feels even better waking up in the wee hours of the weekend (whilst the entire household is still asleep) to just get a-scrubbing...behind the electric / gas cooker, deep freezer, washing machine / dishwasher / condenser and inside every cupboard.

A good sweep followed closely with moping the floors with boiling water and bleach is just exhilarating. tongue tongue cheesy cool

Where is Yellowpawpaw / Ypepe??

I watched one of the episodes and it was hilarious grin You are right slobs just let the whole thing get ontop of them and sometimes it just gets to the point where they just can't be bothered.You know I watch those programmes and I am scratching my head thinking where do they actually sleep?? . I can't even sleep on a bed that is not laid embarassed embarassed A wet towel on the bed makes me see stars not to talk of that level of filth.

I also hate hoarding God knows how many quarrels I had with my mum about the need to keep hundreds of plates cutlery etc when we always rented off caterers for parties My mum is a neat freak (I took after her) but she can hoard jeeez.Her Gele(head tie) cupboard is the size of my whole wardrobe all sorted and arranged by colour and shade. Geeeez very annoying angryI do a clear out every new season and if I don't use it at least once in 2/3 years its going out. I like space and keeping unnecessary stuff just takes up space.

Like you Efe cleaning (not ironing hate ironing) is therapeutic for me.My friends and roomates in University thought I had issues but I just can't stand dirt or untidy enviroments.Thankfully my husband is also neat (but is not as obsessed with getting them done everyday like I am) but I really don't think I could have coped with a slob.My daughter is taking after me and even her nursery teacher remarked on how excellent she is tidying up after play grin grin She can't even use a messy toilet " mummy its disgusting lets go home".

2 Likes

Re: Is It Disrespectful For A Wife To Expect Her Husband To Help With Chores? by ihedinobi2: 12:13pm On Jul 12, 2014
Do you have an unmarried twin sister like you, damiso? I wanna make friends cheesy

Efe, you too. I don't mind younger sisters either but they need to have the neat freak, non-hoarding genes. grin
Re: Is It Disrespectful For A Wife To Expect Her Husband To Help With Chores? by damiso(f): 1:42pm On Jul 12, 2014
ihedinobi2: Do you have an unmarried twin sister like you, damiso? I wanna make friends cheesy

Efe, you too. I don't mind younger sisters either but they need to have the neat freak, non-hoarding genes. grin

Ask around I am business woman so whats my commission ? grin cheesy grin grin
Re: Is It Disrespectful For A Wife To Expect Her Husband To Help With Chores? by ihedinobi2: 1:49pm On Jul 12, 2014
damiso:

Ask around I am business woman so whats my commission ? grin cheesy grin grin

All these Ijebu and Igbo people sef. Ok o. We'll share the cake with you. grin
Re: Is It Disrespectful For A Wife To Expect Her Husband To Help With Chores? by damiso(f): 3:20pm On Jul 12, 2014
ihedinobi2:

Cake ke grin naa am on a diet.Hard Currency only grin

1 Like

Re: Is It Disrespectful For A Wife To Expect Her Husband To Help With Chores? by ihedinobi2: 4:29pm On Jul 12, 2014
damiso:

Cake ke grin naa am on a diet.Hard Currency only grin

*sigh* Ok, you'll have to give me some time. I have to call a carpenter. Which one do you want carved? Naira? Dollar? Pound? Yen? Euro? Metalworkers aren't easy to find. But if you prefer metal work I'll see about finding somebody too.

You get the carving at the wedding o. I'm an Igbo man too.
Re: Is It Disrespectful For A Wife To Expect Her Husband To Help With Chores? by EfemenaXY: 8:17am On Jul 13, 2014
ihedinobi2: I can get how a man's untidiness can piss off a woman. But ehn, I seriously am afraid of marrying a slob myself. I have a strong aversion to clutter. And I have seen a slob at close range. That one taught me that my occasional lapses into untidiness when I'm under serious psychological stress are not untidiness at all. Ha! I hear am o!

I have absolutely zero desire to live with a woman who will turn my house into a dump site. Hoarding all manner of junk like the economy will fail tomorrow; stuffing anything anywhere and having to search for it for eternity; forever wondering what should be cooked and whether it's even in stock at home. Good God! That would drive me stark out of it.

grin grin grin

Sounds like you've had quite an experience there. Oya spill the beans and do tell...

But yes, I get where you're coming from. Some people just can't function in the midst of clutter. You need to see those (females included) guilty of leaving their kitchens looking like a bomb site after cooking. embarassed

My motto: Clean As You Go.

Golden rule in my home.

ihedinobi2: Do you have an unmarried twin sister like you, damiso? I wanna make friends cheesy

Fortunately (for them) and unfortunately (for you), they're all married. tongue tongue

But pay Dami her commission - I hear she's the best matchmaker in town and for the right price, would hook you up with a Gbobo - London Big Girl. cheesy cheesy
Re: Is It Disrespectful For A Wife To Expect Her Husband To Help With Chores? by EfemenaXY: 8:23am On Jul 13, 2014
ihedinobi2:

I'm not Igbo! embarassed angry

damiso:
I watched one of the episodes and it was hilarious grin You are right slobs just let the whole thing get ontop of them and sometimes it just gets to the point where they just can't be bothered.You know I watch those programmes and I am scratching my head thinking where do they actually sleep?? . I can't even sleep on a bed that is not laid embarassed embarassed A wet towel on the bed makes me see stars not to talk of that level of filth.
I also hate hoarding God knows how many quarrels I had with my mum about the need to keep hundreds of plates cutlery etc when we always rented off caterers for parties My mum is a neat freak (I took after her) but she can hoard jeeez.Her Gele(head tie) cupboard is the size of my whole wardrobe all sorted and arranged by colour and shade. Geeeez very annoying angryI do a clear out every new season and if I don't use it at least once in 2/3 years its going out. I like space and keeping unnecessary stuff just takes up space.
Like you Efe cleaning (not ironing hate ironing) is therapeutic for me.My friends and roomates in University thought I had issues but I just can't stand dirt or untidy enviroments.Thankfully my husband is also neat (but is not as obsessed with getting them done everyday like I am) but I really don't think I could have coped with a slob.My daughter is taking after me and even her nursery teacher remarked on how excellent she is tidying up after play grin grin She can't even use a messy toilet " mummy its disgusting lets go home".

Many of them have pets too.

Don't get me wrong, I love pets as long as they sleep OUTSIDE, like in Naija where the weather is warm enough for that all year round. So there aren't any instances of accidental poo-droppings in your home / floors, moulting hairs on your carpets, beds (eurgh!) or irate pets chewing frustratedly on your leather furniture because they've not had their daily walk / outings to the park.

Basically, I love the good parts of owning a pet but not the work that comes along with looking after them HERE.
Re: Is It Disrespectful For A Wife To Expect Her Husband To Help With Chores? by EfemenaXY: 8:31am On Jul 13, 2014
aisha2:

Lol Efe, you had to go there this afternoon, LMAO and I was having such a great lunch now its all gone. chai, bet whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

My dear, I just couldn't help it. Both your descriptions (yours and Debrief's...especially yours), leave a visual implant in one's memory that's hard to forget. cheesy cheesy

You never did complete that story though. Did the meatpie guy eventually clean up his act (I doubt), or did he find someone to get married to? Some domestic goddess to clean up after his act?
Re: Is It Disrespectful For A Wife To Expect Her Husband To Help With Chores? by damiso(f): 10:24pm On Jul 13, 2014
EfemenaXY:

Many of them have pets too.

Don't get me wrong, I love pets as long as they sleep OUTSIDE, like in Naija where the weather is warm enough for that all year round. So there aren't any instances of accidental poo-droppings in your home / floors, moulting hairs on your carpets, beds (eurgh!) or irate pets chewing frustratedly on your leather furniture because they've not had their daily walk / outings to the park.

Basically, I love the good parts of owning a pet but not the work that comes along with looking after them HERE.

Me and you are the same cheesy can't stand cat hairs, dog hairs etc etc. Too much work and if we do that naija style here na RSPCA go come arrest person grin So lets keep to the gold fish in the tank wink
No vex chilli grin but have you also noticed the weirdest of the lot have lots of Cats lipsrsealed Seems there is some kinda eccentricity going on with lovers of many cats lipsrsealed
Re: Is It Disrespectful For A Wife To Expect Her Husband To Help With Chores? by damiso(f): 10:25pm On Jul 13, 2014
ihedinobi2:

*sigh* Ok, you'll have to give me some time. I have to call a carpenter. Which one do you want carved? Naira? Dollar? Pound? Yen? Euro? Metalworkers aren't easy to find. But if you prefer metal work I'll see about finding somebody too.

You get the carving at the wedding o. I'm an Igbo man too.

grin grin grin cunning man die cunning man bury am
Re: Is It Disrespectful For A Wife To Expect Her Husband To Help With Chores? by EfemenaXY: 10:52pm On Jul 13, 2014
damiso:

Me and you are the same cheesy can't stand cat hairs, dog hairs etc etc. Too much work and if we do that naija style here na RSPCA go come arrest person grin So lets keep to the gold fish in the tank wink
No vex chilli grin but have you also noticed the weirdest of the lot have lots of Cats lipsrsealed Seems there is some kinda eccentricity going on with lovers of many cats lipsrsealed

Lol!

Lucky you! I can't even keep the gold fish in the aquarium. My inquisitive daughter will knock it over and flood the electrics. embarassed embarassed
Re: Is It Disrespectful For A Wife To Expect Her Husband To Help With Chores? by damiso(f): 10:54pm On Jul 13, 2014
EfemenaXY:

Lol!

Lucky you! I can't even keep the gold fish in the aquarium. My inquisitive daughter will knock it over and flood the electrics. embarassed embarassed

Me too my inquisitive son too grin I am talking about when they are abit older and want pets.
Re: Is It Disrespectful For A Wife To Expect Her Husband To Help With Chores? by ihedinobi2: 11:00pm On Jul 13, 2014
damiso:

grin grin grin cunning man die cunning man bury am

LMAO! grin grin grin

I be Igbo nau. How e go be? cheesy
Re: Is It Disrespectful For A Wife To Expect Her Husband To Help With Chores? by ihedinobi2: 11:02pm On Jul 13, 2014
EfemenaXY:

Have you considered being Igbo?

grin grin
Re: Is It Disrespectful For A Wife To Expect Her Husband To Help With Chores? by EfemenaXY: 11:06pm On Jul 13, 2014
Nope.

Did my Uni there - so I've got more than enough Igbo-ness in me. Even learnt a couple of words there sef.

Greetings: Bia. Kedu? Odima!

In church: Chineke Idima

When buying eba and Oha soup at the canteen: Ogini?

Sending the local children on errands: Bia, Nwasukka. J'ai chutere mirri. (Come, Nsukka child - go fetch water for me).

See? cheesy cheesy
Re: Is It Disrespectful For A Wife To Expect Her Husband To Help With Chores? by ihedinobi2: 11:17pm On Jul 13, 2014
Hahahahahahahahahahaha grin grin

You're Igbo joor
Re: Is It Disrespectful For A Wife To Expect Her Husband To Help With Chores? by EfemenaXY: 11:21pm On Jul 13, 2014
I am not.

I'm proudly Isoko - from Deep south in Delta state, with the cool, clear rivers and rich, thick green forests. cool cool

Besides, your language is very hard to learn. My roommates never stopped laughing at my pidgin Igbo. cheesy
Re: Is It Disrespectful For A Wife To Expect Her Husband To Help With Chores? by ihedinobi2: 11:22pm On Jul 13, 2014
There's a place like that in Nigeria? shocked

Lmao! Indeed. I'll forgive you for that. Igbo is tough, so I agree. I don't believe I've ever heard Isoko.
Re: Is It Disrespectful For A Wife To Expect Her Husband To Help With Chores? by EfemenaXY: 12:01am On Jul 14, 2014
ihedinobi2: There's a place like that in Nigeria? shocked

Lmao! Indeed. I'll forgive you for that. Igbo is tough, so I agree. I don't believe I've ever heard Isoko.

No, you probably haven't - but you must have heard of the Urhobo / Itsekeri. We're quite close to them but more to the Urhobos. smiley
Re: Is It Disrespectful For A Wife To Expect Her Husband To Help With Chores? by Nobody: 8:36am On Jul 14, 2014
bukatyne: On a serious note,

Only a lazy/wicked spouse looks on when the other can't handle or needs to multitask stuffs

It goes both ways
. Some men expressly make it clear they hate domestic chores.... Its selfish, maybe... But I wouldn't be caught dead sweeping or mopping up floors.. Everybody knows that and they have learnt to accept it.... My dear loving wife would have to bear with me..... But if she doesn't wanna do it, I'd pay someone to do it....
Re: Is It Disrespectful For A Wife To Expect Her Husband To Help With Chores? by bukatyne(f): 9:16am On Jul 14, 2014
njokusboy: . Some men expressly make it clear they hate domestic chores.... Its selfish, maybe... But I wouldn't be caught dead sweeping or mopping up floors.. Everybody know that and they have learnt to accept it.... My dear loving wife would have to bear with me..... But if she doesn't wanna do it, I'd pay someone to do it....

Lol @ its selfish, maybe

Since you have expressly told her forehand and she still decides to tie the knot with you, then you are covered.

If it's more than she can handle, someone else can be paid to assist
Re: Is It Disrespectful For A Wife To Expect Her Husband To Help With Chores? by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jul 14, 2014
damiso:

I'm just seeing this. Damiso what with you and cats cheesy. They are just innocent animals also wanting the basic of life.
You should get one, it will make your kids to be responsible . Teach then how to care, play gently etc.
You won't regret it. grin
Re: Is It Disrespectful For A Wife To Expect Her Husband To Help With Chores? by ihedinobi2: 2:39pm On Jul 29, 2014
EfemenaXY:

No, you probably haven't - but you must have heard of the Urhobo / Itsekeri. We're quite close to them but more to the Urhobos. smiley
Definitely going to tour Nigeria properly one day.
Re: Is It Disrespectful For A Wife To Expect Her Husband To Help With Chores? by ihedinobi2: 2:44pm On Jul 29, 2014
njokusboy: . Some men expressly make it clear they hate domestic chores.... Its selfish, maybe... But I wouldn't be caught dead sweeping or mopping up floors.. Everybody knows that and they have learnt to accept it.... My dear loving wife would have to bear with me..... But if she doesn't wanna do it, I'd pay someone to do it....
I don't really know any rule that says that house cleabing is a woman's job. Not in such unambiguous terms anyway, but even though my mom taught all of us to take care of the home and cook too, it was taught too that house chores were generally the woman's job. Perhaps it is wholly cultural but that's how I think.

I expect that my house will have a general house cleaning day when I start a family. On such days everybody will pitch in in one way or another. But my boys will learn to prioritize "manly" work for normal duties and my girls will be taught to be good housekeepers. That's me. Everyone will learn something of the other but each one will know what their primary duty is.

It's good to be able to lend a hand to the woman you love. Mop when she's cleaning windows. Or dust when she's sweeping. Nothing wrong with that. After all, God washed dirty feet.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Mum Reaction To Me Doing Better Than My Brothers / My Sister Inlaw Is Baffling Me,hes The One Controlling My Husby Help / My Wife Blacklisted/blocked My Mother's Line On Her Phone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.