Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:37 AM

When Is A Male Child Expected To Leave His "Father's" House? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / When Is A Male Child Expected To Leave His "Father's" House? (2927 Views)

This Boy Was Involved In An Accident That Killed His Father. Do You Know Him? / Neglect Of Male Child Rape/molestation By a Female Adult / If You Found Out Your Male Child Has Been Defiled From Behind - Parents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Is A Male Child Expected To Leave His "Father's" House? by Greyworld: 7:05pm On Jul 10, 2014
Hi peeps, lets just say this is part of my life's major challenge so far and I wish to drag our divergent opinions.
When I was much younger I always had a believe that a male child's stay in his family of orientation expires when he becomes a MAN, now when is that male child a man, is it when he starts working and making money or determined by age?
That aside, I am of the opinion that since our society now place much importance on education, after tertiary education(that's if the family could afford that) and he probably should be slightly above 21years, the male child should be out of his parents house and prepare to get a life of his own. That's just my opinion, would appreciate knowing yours.

1 Like

Re: When Is A Male Child Expected To Leave His "Father's" House? by sello555: 11:11am On Jul 11, 2014
you know when you are READY.

1 Like

Re: When Is A Male Child Expected To Leave His "Father's" House? by Nobody: 11:23am On Jul 11, 2014
I depends on certain circumstances. One can't pin-piont a specific age but I think the maximum should 26 or 27. Something between those two.
Re: When Is A Male Child Expected To Leave His "Father's" House? by JEITO: 2:00pm On Jul 11, 2014
sello555: you know when you are READY.
so that 42years old Italian man that refused to leave his parent house and insisted his mother prepare his food and wash/ iron his clothes, and would not lift a finger to do a thing in the house until his parent got a court order against him, wasn't ready yet shey?

3 Likes

Re: When Is A Male Child Expected To Leave His "Father's" House? by JEITO: 2:00pm On Jul 11, 2014
sello555: you know when you are READY.
you obviously haven't heard of the 42years old Italian man that refused to leave his parent house and insisted his mother prepare his food and wash/ iron his clothes, and would not lift a finger to do a thing in the house until his parent got a court order to throw him out.
Re: When Is A Male Child Expected To Leave His "Father's" House? by gbanikiti(m): 3:15pm On Jul 11, 2014
Once he stops sucking mothers breast. 9months old apparently. I left home when I was 2months old. Some people wants to turn to Methusalah in their fathers house.

2 Likes

Re: When Is A Male Child Expected To Leave His "Father's" House? by Greyworld: 8:24pm On Jul 11, 2014
JEITO: you obviously haven't heard of the 42years old Italian man that refused to leave his parent house and insisted his mother prepare his food and wash/ iron his clothes, and would not lift a finger to do a thing in the house until his parent got a court order to throw him out.
Lols... Actually i neva heard of dis story but its actually funny especially as d subject is a European.
Re: When Is A Male Child Expected To Leave His "Father's" House? by DocAdray(f): 12:50am On Jul 12, 2014
I think after his university (tertiary) education or more feasibly, as soon as he can start making money/fending for himself.

1 Like

Re: When Is A Male Child Expected To Leave His "Father's" House? by amdman: 1:37am On Jul 12, 2014
As the fifth of 6 boys, one of the boldest proclamations I ever made was to declare in an end of year family meeting that against the practice of my seniors, the day I leave for service would officially signal the end of my residency in my father's house. I said this when I was in 300L having no idea how I was going to make it happen.

Interestingly, things turned out rather beautifully and as planned, and gave me a headstart in life.

Remaining in your father's house is the definition of remaining in your comfort zone. Get out the earliest time you can.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Is A Male Child Expected To Leave His "Father's" House? by Greyworld: 6:31am On Jul 12, 2014
amdman: As the fifth of 6 boys, one of the boldest proclamations I ever made was to declare in an end of year family meeting that against the practice of my seniors, the day I leave for service would officially signal the end of my residency in my father's house. I said this when I was in 300L having no idea how I was going to make it happen.

Interestingly, things turned out rather beautifully and as planned, and gave me a headstart in life.

Remaining in your father's house is the definition of remaining in your comfort zone. Get out the earliest time you can.

I guess we both are flowin no d same tide. Now wat if ur family had a little business that actually cud sustain all of yu and it demanded yu 2 stay bak and assist in runnin it, wud yu av stayed bak?
Re: When Is A Male Child Expected To Leave His "Father's" House? by amdman: 10:05am On Jul 14, 2014
Greyworld:

I guess we both are flowin no d same tide. Now wat if ur family had a little business that actually cud sustain all of yu and it demanded yu 2 stay bak and assist in runnin it, wud yu av stayed bak?

If I had a family business to run, or had a job in the same city where my parents live, I would have insisted on staying on my own, not because the house is not comfortable (had a miniflat in the house while there), but because there is a mental block that is the bane of most, not all, that remain in that same environment.

Go out there and win something for yourself. It is more profitable in the long run.
Re: When Is A Male Child Expected To Leave His "Father's" House? by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jul 14, 2014
You won't be told,you will know when ready..Nature has a way of pointing it out.

1 Like

Re: When Is A Male Child Expected To Leave His "Father's" House? by Greyworld: 9:28pm On Jul 14, 2014
amdman:

Go out there and win something for yourself. It is more profitable in the long run.

Nyc 1 4rm an enlightened mind... It beta 2 go out der and pick up real challenge dan relax unda d protection of d family.

1 Like

Re: When Is A Male Child Expected To Leave His "Father's" House? by Greyworld: 9:29pm On Jul 14, 2014
amdman:

Nyc 1 4rm an enlightened mind... Its beta 2 go out der and pick up real challenge dan relax unda d protection of d family.
Re: When Is A Male Child Expected To Leave His "Father's" House? by Nobody: 2:49am On Jul 15, 2014
Immediately you are done with NYSC and Ideally , IMHO , you can spend maximum of two years as an hustler after which atleast find yourself :

one room apartment or self contain !!

25-27yo is the maximum IMHO ...

As a MAN @ 27yo and above, and you are still dependent on your parents/Guardian for food and shelter ............ Na , wintch parol be dat o and such a man may not be responsible in the longrun ! grin

1 Like

Re: When Is A Male Child Expected To Leave His "Father's" House? by Nobody: 3:13am On Jul 15, 2014
Yomieluv: You won't be told,you will know when ready..Nature has a way of pointing it out.
nature may point it out embarrasingly !!

A Responsible man will make responsible move before nature shows you silly !!

2 Likes

Re: When Is A Male Child Expected To Leave His "Father's" House? by Nobody: 5:16am On Jul 15, 2014
15 - 16 yrs . When you left for university. After school, job, nysc, career ,family etc..in no order.

Although many of our youth still tander for papa house even at age 40yrs. You see a lot here hating on women and fantasizing on nursing mothers as if they are the cause of their misery smiley
Re: When Is A Male Child Expected To Leave His "Father's" House? by eximiousnation: 4:18pm On Jul 16, 2014
JEITO: so that 42years old Italian man that refused to leave his parent house and insisted his mother prepare his food and wash/ iron his clothes, and would not lift a finger to do a thing in the house until his parent got a court order against him, wasn't ready yet shey?
Heard of it. Obviously, he didn't want to be ready!
Re: When Is A Male Child Expected To Leave His "Father's" House? by khia: 11:22am On Jan 08, 2015
gbanikiti:
Once he stops sucking mothers breast. 9months old apparently. I left home when I was 2months old. Some people wants to turn to Methusalah in their fathers house.

I liked you, that was funny. grin grin grin
Re: When Is A Male Child Expected To Leave His "Father's" House? by Newkidoo(m): 11:47am On Jan 08, 2015
I would say the maximum age for a male child to leave his father's house and become fully independent should be 25!!
anything above this is laziness on the part of the child!!
But it depends on the family sha..
There are adults out there doing their phd and still living with their parents while doing so.. so in all, it depends on the child and family!!!
Re: When Is A Male Child Expected To Leave His "Father's" House? by Richy4(m): 12:52pm On Jan 08, 2015
It is not an African/ Nigerian Thing for such to happen.

but let's say you were from Oyo state, and you just finished your NYSC. You decide to search for a job in Lagos and found 1, automatically you will be out of your parent house because you cannot shuttle from that place to work

another scene: You live in Oyo state and found a well paid job over there and close to home, at least 2 years is enough for you save up and find your own space ie for privacy reason and independent. except if you are living in a mansion where your activities will not be monitored by your parent.

That will help you avoid something most parent say that is really annoying eg "I do not want to see that Boy/girl in my house" she is a bad influence on you" even when they don't even know him/her.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Sex Education For Married Only / Describe This Cook In One Word / 7 Signs Your Husband Is Happily Married To You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.