Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:13 AM

Tribalism In Ibowood - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Tribalism In Ibowood (2443 Views)

Igbo People Are Killing Nollywood With Tribalism ––actress Halima Abubakar / Tribalism In Kannywood (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tribalism In Ibowood by DeepZone: 9:25pm On Oct 08, 2008
Why is Ibowood Nollywood riddled with tribalism?
Some people want me to shut up but I believe in saying the truth. undecided undecided
Re: Tribalism In Ibowood by twinstaiye(m): 9:57pm On Oct 08, 2008
And what is the truth? Cite an example of any tribalism you had witnessed
Re: Tribalism In Ibowood by dominique(f): 10:53pm On Oct 08, 2008
what the hell is ibowood
Re: Tribalism In Ibowood by Sisikill: 11:14pm On Oct 08, 2008
DeepZone open an Igbo thread for bojuboju! Awww, how considerate and transparent of you!

twinstaiye:

And what is the truth? Cite an example of any tribalism you had witnessed

The Truth is out there. . . . In DeepZone's head and only people with air between their ears can see it. If I were you, I'd get down on my knees and thank my maker I can't see the truth according to DeepZone! No Seriously, I mean it. . . . it's thanksgiving time.

You know what's Hilarious, she is gonna see this as an attempt to keep her from "speaking the truth". . . I know, I know it makes no sense but what can you do eh? Like I said earlier, air between the ears. . . wink
Re: Tribalism In Ibowood by DeepZone: 11:22pm On Oct 08, 2008
By Yejide Gbenga-Ogundare and Bunmi Obarotimi

Femi Omokhafe Ogedegbe hails from Dagbala, Edo State. An actor, producer and director with about 16 years experience in the movie industry, Femi has featured in several Nigerian home videos. In this interview with Yejide Gbenga-Ogundare and Bunmi Obarotimi, the hunk who has appeared in Okoto Ife, Haunted House, Omo Alhaja, Desperadoes, Ogidan and others, speaks about his life, career and happenings in the movie industry. Excerpts:

What made you take up acting?

I started acting around 1987 when I joined Miliki Olumegbon’s theatre group. His father was one of the legends of the Yoruba film industry and we used to go to secondary schools to act. We later ended up in NTA Channel 7, Lagos, for a youth programme called Ogbon Ewe. I stopped but later returned to the industry in 1996 to act in an English speaking video film.

What’s the name and what led to the first film you acted in?

The very first film I took part in was Back to Africa. Some Nigerians based in the United States came to Nigeria to shoot the film and a friend, Jude Ossai, invited me to participate. We went for the audition and I got a minor role. Since then, I have been in the industry.

What is your greatest challenge in the industry?

We face many challenges in life but it depends on the way you handle it. Before I joined the Yoruba movie industry, it was difficult for a non Igbo to get a role in the English speaking Nigerian films. Take it or leave it, the English speaking Nigerian film industry is owned by Igbos who favour their own. Sometimes when you go for auditions, it seems non Igbos can’t speak good English the way they do although there are some Igbo directors and producers that see you for what you are. Thank God I have been nominated as the best upcoming actor in Nigeria and that means I am good. I have directed films in South Africa and Tanzania and people appreciate what I’m doing.

Which film is the most tasking you have ever featured in?

I will pick three films: Haunted House produced by Prince James Uche and directed by Sola Akinbo; In the Line of Duty produced by Infinity Merchant and directed by Izu Ojukwu and Desperadoes produced by Solid Production and directed by Izu Ojukwu. In these three films, I almost lost my life. There was a time when I was regarded as the best stunt-man in the Nigerian English speaking film industry. Then, I was slimmer and agile and I used to do stunts a lot. I almost lost my life in the process of doing stunts in these films and even people around thought they had lost an actor but thank I’m alive.

When was the most depressing period in your acting career?

The most depressing period in my acting career spread over a period of three, four years. Then, I could not feed myself, cloth myself or even get a decent place to live because I could not do what I love doing best because one Emeka would be given a role I’m supposed to get due to the fact that I answer to Femi, not Emeka. This was the most depressing period of my career and it caused me to diversify. I started producing and later proceeded to study directing. I did not just jump into acting like many, rather I undertook courses which I registered for on the internet and I understudied the best in Nollywood which further enhanced my directing ability. People like Izu Ojukwu, Andy Amenechi and others don’t care where you are from; if you are good, they pick you.

What do you think caused this tribal segregation in the movie industry?

The average Igbo man is more interested in making money and this could be traced back to the days of Living in Bondage. The film made so much money that the Igbo boys selling electronics started selling video and because there is money to be made, Igbos rushed in to make money. This made the movie industry more popular in the Eastern part of the country; locations were picked in the East and this added to the number of Igbos that moved into acting.

That is the reason why at any audition, you will find about 30 Igbos as against 10 from the other tribes. And I think they feel more comfortable shooting videos with someone with whom they share the same mother tongue. At some auditioning, you‘ll just realize that Igbo language, most of the time, becomes the auditioning language. Even on occasions when you have the Omotolas, the Ramsey Nouahs and other artistes that are not Igbo featuring in the film, the credit list at the end of the video will be about 90 per cent Igbos. It will be all lies if anybody told you there are no favoritisms in Nigerian English speaking films.

Does the same thing apply in the Yoruba movie?

Though I’m a Yoruba man, I have been acting English movies all my life. When I joined the Yoruba movie industry, they welcomed me whole heartedly. Once you are able to speak the language well; they even see it as a marketing strategy to bring a non-Yoruba to act in Yoruba film. The Yoruba film industry presents a level playing field for all so far you can express yourself well in the language.

Is there much disparity in the fees of actors in the two industries?

I think the fees of the highest paid artistes’ ranges from NI00,000 to N170,000 in the Yoruba industry, while in the English speaking Nigerian film industry, they pay as much as 1.2 million naira for a five days job.

The two associations that can be said to constitute the Nigerian movie industry are the ANTP and AGN, what are these two associations doing to address the discrimination in the industry?

I am the vice-chairman, task-force of the Actors of Guild Nigeria (AGN) headed by Ejike Asiegbu and a member of the ANTP headed by Prince Jide Kosoko. Since I’m not at the helms of affairs, it will be difficult to bring the two together even though Uncle Jide is like a father to me and Ejike is like an Uncle to me.

I can’t force them to unite because they would like to remain their own bosses but I’m working on a Yoruba movie which will be premiered very soon and I’m hoping to use the film that features both Yoruba and English speaking actors like Mercy Johnson, Kelvin Ikedugba, Prince Jide Kosoko, Lola Alao and others to close ranks between the two associations as I will be inviting the two presidents to the premiere and actors from the two associations as well. It would have been the best if the two associations could unite or while maintaining their independence, form a Board of Directors that will be overseeing daily activities in the industry.

Are you married?

I am still searching

How are you coping with female fans?

I’m coping well. They are not disturbing me and I’m not disturbing them, we get along just fine. I’m not one of the actors that female fans harass sexually.

What is your take on the issue of sex for role?

We all know it goes beyond the Nigerian film industry. Even outside the industry, people pay in different ways to land jobs. Some pay with their body while others pay using other means. However, one thing I know is that every role I give out in my movies is based on merit. I’m a business man and I don’t mix pleasure with business; when it is business it remains business. If I want to take you to bed, we can do that at another time but the issue of sex for role is existing and not only in the movie industry but in many other establishments out there.

Can you give a quick rundown of some of the film you have produced?

I produced Cyclo which was directed by Aquilla Njamah, Temiko, a film on HIV/AID titled Love the Cure and the latest one titled Orun-Gbeja, that is Heaven Vindicates.

- NIGERIAN TRIBUNE
Re: Tribalism In Ibowood by DeepZone: 12:06am On Oct 09, 2008
Rukayat Akinsanya, also known as Rukky Sanda, is gradually being ranked among the most promising acts in Nollywood. Rukky, who started acting in 2004, has accused practitioners in the industry of tribalism.

Though she is a native of Ikorodu in Lagos State, her versatility has earned her more recognition in the English movie industry than the Yoruba sector.

The Banking and Finance graduate of the Lagos State University, disclosed that she initially had a pleasant experience in the industry until when she suddenly realised that tribalism actually exists.

She said: “When I had my first audition, I got a role instantly. That was with Sunny Mac-Don, but what I have realised recently when I came fully into acting is that there is an issue of tribalism.

“But I think this is uncalled for because I have been given roles several times and later rejected simply because I’m of the Yoruba stock. I think that is really wrong. People don’t have to be rejected because of their tribes. This has really affected me,” she lamented.

NollywoodReel gathered that the humble and friendly Rukky has featured in over 14 movies since she joined the motion picture industry in 2004.

Some of the movies in which she has featured include Angel and The Beast, My Precious Son, Strength Of Love, Legal War, Desperate Girls, Weeping Tiger and Heaven’s Gate.
Re: Tribalism In Ibowood by plusQueen: 12:16am On Oct 09, 2008
nonsense!
there are yoruba films and there are Hausa films.
Igbos are not falling over to act there
Nollywood developed from Igbo films.
Igbo story lines and igbo expressions are still being used.
People will always complain when they can go develop their own industry and leave Igbowood rather than complain to high heavens
Aba made,Igbo jeep,Igbo computers,Igbo this Igbo that
why are mainly Igbos selling spare parts and electronics ?
so so complaints angry
haba!
should we die for that soured akamu called Nigeria and Nigerians
leave us alone angry angry angry
leave us alone angry angry
Tyler Perry did it in America when he was denied a place in Hollywood.
He started "atlantawood"
anyone that feels discriminated against should start their own industry.
This is afterall a private enterprise

they don't have to do quota system and represent all the geopolitical zones of Nigeria
they are businessmen
and have a right to do what's best for the business
obviously they are selling
I've seen several movies wih tons of non Igbos .
Nonsense!!
anyone disturbed should stop buying the movies.
end of story!

1 Like

Re: Tribalism In Ibowood by grafikdon: 12:29am On Oct 09, 2008
plus_Queen:

nonsense!
Igbo story lines and igbo exressions are still being used.
People will always complain when they can go develop their own industry and leave Igbowood rather than complain to high heavens
haba!
should we die for that soured akamu clled Nigeria and Nigerians
leave us alone angry angry angry
leave us alone angry angry
He started "atlantawood"
they are businessmen
Nonsense

In addition, a lot of Nigerians are so ignorant/nonchalant/unreasonable/malevolent/mischievous that they brand everyone across the Niger ''Ibo". In their delirious minds anything Produced by Amata, Ejiro, Imasuen, Isong is branded with the derogatory name "Engligbo film".

look at Deepzone typing "Ibo'' all over the place when she knows the real thing is "Igbo". . .  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Tribalism In Ibowood by plusQueen: 12:36am On Oct 09, 2008
grafikdon:

In addition, a lot of Nigerians are so ignorant/nonchalant/unreasonable that they brand everyone across the Niger ''Ibo". In their delirious minds anything Produced by Amata, Ejiro, Imasuen, Isong is branded with the derogatory name "Engligbo film".

look at Deepzone typing "Ibo'' all over the place when she knows the real thing is "Igbo". . . lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

anyone passed Ondo state is Omo Ibo as far as many of the whiners are concerned.
Nigeria did not give this people shishi.
I won't mention names.
One of the producers at nollywood is good friends with one of our inlaws and they borrowed tons of money from him and shot several movies at his homes.
These people suffered and sweated and some sold everything they had to make it.
To hear people talk this kain nonsense is annoying.
Nigeria is big enough for edowood,calabarwood,riverswood ,and all the woods in between
Re: Tribalism In Ibowood by plusQueen: 12:42am On Oct 09, 2008
grafikdon no be you dey make "Igbo cartoons"?
Wait till you make it big and there'll be a thread wondering why your characters say chineke mee
and odikwa egwu when there are 666 tribes and tongues in Nigeria.
Re: Tribalism In Ibowood by KarmaMod(f): 12:42am On Oct 09, 2008
Funmi this has been beaten to death.

How come you dont like using the search button?
Re: Tribalism In Ibowood by KarmaMod(f): 12:45am On Oct 09, 2008
To be honest osisi, it's true.

The fact that in Nollywood movies, they feel the need to employ Igbos to play Yoruba parts bothers me.

Im sure if they WANTED to, they can find a Yoruba person who can speak their 'wannabe Americana" English.
Re: Tribalism In Ibowood by plusQueen: 12:47am On Oct 09, 2008
why do they have Americans acting like Britons , accents and all in Hollywood ?
does that bother you?
why does Beyonce have to pack on pounds to act a movie
are there no full figured actresses?
Re: Tribalism In Ibowood by Sisikill: 12:50am On Oct 09, 2008
Though I’m a Yoruba man, I have been acting English movies all my life. When I joined the Yoruba movie industry, they welcomed me whole heartedly. Once you are able to speak the language well; they even see it as a marketing strategy to bring a non-Yoruba to act in Yoruba film. The Yoruba film industry presents a level playing field for all so far you can express yourself well in the language.

DeepZone. . . fi ara ba le and try to reason logically. This part of your post goes in line with what people are trying to tell you, something you would have gotten if your incessant need to see tribalism in everything didn’t cloud your judgement.

Maybe it is the turenchi that is hard for you.

Once you can speak the language meaning if you sabi talk the language that is if you fit talk Yoruba well well. You go notice say him no talk anything about after coaching, then come sabi the language well well oh. That tell us say speaking the language na prerequisite. . . ah see me oh, I don dabaru the thing now. Abeg, wetin them call prerequisite for broken English?  

So far you can express yourself well in the language etun mo eleyi ni wi pe, eni ke ni ti oba le so Yoruba dada, ni won ma fun ni ishe na. Won so wi pe eni ke ni to ba le deliver lines naa lehin gba ti wan ti coach eh dada oh lo ma gba oh.

You get?

Now read the paragraph before the one you highlighted.

Where did he say they shoot? Please feel free to shout out your answers

Why is the ratio of Igbo speaking people greater than the ratio of non-igbo speaking people? Again, don’t hesitate to say the answer loud and clear.

Let’s look at the 3rd paragraph after the one you highlighted (by the way, this you selective reasoning is getting to be a problem oh) for another round of quiz.

How much does the highest Yoruba artist make?

And for the Igbo?

Do you see where I am going with this? You better because I’m not going to explain. . . I refuse to spoon feed you. Like I said earlier, I believe if you allow it, logic and common sense can enter into your discourse.

By the way, this is a Cameroon actress saying there is Tribalism in the Nigerian Movie Indusrty as a whole.

Nigerian experience
One of the movies I have featured in is Teco Benson’s Explosion. I played the role of the other woman. I am not the first Cameroonian to come to Nollywood. Others before me have complained of discrimination. There is tribalism in the Nigerian movie industry. You find that casting or audition here is a mere ceremony; they would have already chosen those they want. Only minor roles are auditioned. If they throw auditions open and give people chances based on merit, many upcoming actors and actresses would show the stuff they are made of.

http://odili.net/news/source/2008/mar/15/503.html

She did not mention Igbowood, Hausawood, Yorubawood, Tivwood, Nupewood, Egbawood, Ekitiwood. . . she mentioned the NIGERIAN MOVIE INDUSTRY and this would have been a sensible topic than the stupid division by tribe you did. Seriously, don’t you get it? Don’t you see that it is your kind of mentality, the let’s blame all the other tribes for what ails us, that is ruining Nigeria.

The problem is not Tribalism, it is Decentralization. If we had a real “Nollywood” (God, I hate that name) like Hollywood, then how many people of a particular tribe are in a movie won't be an issue.

Another sumin’ sumin’ for you to sink your teeth into

Current Developments Affecting Project Management in Nigeria

The industry has significant geographical spread, and a national representation which is normally difficult to achieve in government operations. To expatiate, its main studio is in Tinapa, Calabar. However, most movies are not produced in studios; rather video movies are shot on locations all over Nigeria with appropriate and relevant distinct regional variations. For example, northern Nigerian movies are shot in the northern part of the country in the Hausa language where the language is dominant, Yoruba-language movies are produced in the western part of the country where Yoruba is the dominant language; lastly, Igbo movies and a lot of popular English movies are shot  mostly in the south-east where Igbo is dominant. For coordination and control purposes, many of the big producers have offices in Lagos, the commercial capital of the country.  
www.pmforum.org/library/RegionalReports/2007/PDFs/Okereke-11-07.pdf+tribalism+and+yoruba+movies&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=16&gl=us">http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:x6jqfrRZOcAJ:www.pmforum.org/library/RegionalReports/2007/PDFs/Okereke-11-07.pdf+tribalism+and+yoruba+movies&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=16&gl=us

DeepZone, the Nigerian Movie Industry as a whole is in need of an overhaul. . . get it?

1 Like

Re: Tribalism In Ibowood by KarmaMod(f): 12:51am On Oct 09, 2008
plus_Queen:

why do they have Americans acting like Britons , accents and all in Hollywood ?
does that bother you?

Of course it does. ESPECIALLY when they don't even SOUND British. Halle Berry disgraced herself in XMen when she was asked to play the part of a Kenyan and sounded like a bloody Jamaican. don't know why they couldnt just get a pretty Kenyan lady to play the part

Yoruba movies that have stories involving other tribes USUALLY use a person from that particular tribe

Nollywood needs to get themselves together
Re: Tribalism In Ibowood by grafikdon: 12:55am On Oct 09, 2008
KarmaMod:

Of course it does. ESPECIALLY when they don't even SOUND British. Halle Berry disgraced herself in XMen when she was asked to play the part of a Kenyan and sounded like a bloody Jamaican. don't know why they couldnt just get a pretty Kenyan lady to play the part

Yoruba movies that have stories involving other tribes USUALLY use a person from that particular tribe

grin grin grin. . . Or those irritating people who think by muttering a bunch of incoherent gibberish they are speaking "African". . .
Re: Tribalism In Ibowood by plusQueen: 12:55am On Oct 09, 2008
KarmaMod:

To be honest osisi, it's true.

The fact that in Nollywood movies, they feel the need to employ Igbos to play Yoruba parts bothers me.

I'm sure if they WANTED to, they can find a Yoruba person who can speak their 'wannabe Americana" English.

LOL
I'm not a big fan of nollywood.
Most of the movies are trash to me.
The only ones I watch are comedy especially Nkem Owoh or Patience Ozokwor.
I love to laugh.
But I love the enterprising spirit that drives that industry that has employed hundreds that otherwise would be jobless.
Re: Tribalism In Ibowood by plusQueen: 12:58am On Oct 09, 2008
KarmaMod:

To you she disgraced herself because you know Kenyan accent.To 99% of the movie goers she spoke Kenyan and they went to see her.
This is busines.
People paid to go see Halle Berry.
If it was some Ms Tumfulu Mandingo of the Massai tribe, they may not go.
That's business.
Re: Tribalism In Ibowood by KarmaMod(f): 12:59am On Oct 09, 2008
Or those irritating people who think by muttering a bunch of incoherent gibberish they are speaking "African". . .

This seriously irritates me.

I'm surprised they didnt get some Irish man to play Simon Adebisi on Oz.
Re: Tribalism In Ibowood by KarmaMod(f): 1:01am On Oct 09, 2008
plus_Queen:

To you she disgraced herself because you know Kenyan accent.To 99% of the movie goers she spoke Kenyan.
This is busines.
People paid to go see Halle Berry.
If it was some Ms Tumfulu Mandingo they may not go.
That's business.

Kenyans say ja mon? tongue

You're right that it's business HOWEVER when it comes to British or white roles, they always employ good accent tutors for these actors'

when it comes to playing the part of an African, they let any idiot yarn dust
Re: Tribalism In Ibowood by Sisikill: 1:07am On Oct 09, 2008
Speaking of raising hell over casting, how about Angelina Jolie as Mariane Perle in a Mighty heart? People thought it should have gone to an African American even though the real Mariane Perle does not consider herself African American.

Just recently, Halle Berry was cast to play the lead in the story of a white woman Tierney Cahill.
Re: Tribalism In Ibowood by DeepZone: 5:30am On Oct 09, 2008
nonsense!
so so complaints Angry
haba!
leave us alone Angry Angry Angry
leave us alone Angry Angry
He started "atlantawood"
they don't have to do quota system and represent all the geopolitical zones of Nigeria
they are businessmen
Nonsense!!
end of story!

I've said this before remember but my point now as a nollywood lover is that there should be diversification. Yorubas make up about 40% of ibo movies fan base so they can't afford to lose that audience for real. They can afford to lose their Liberian, Ugandan, Carribean, Ghananian etc fans but not home fans. Yorubas already have a stake in the ibo movie industry by the virtue of fan base and it's in the best interest of the movie makers to mark down the proportion of ibo actors and actresses in order to accommodate others. As a matter of fact, Nollywood should be casting indigenous Liberians or Ugandans in their movies by now. Even NBA signed Yao Ming mainly because they want to sell the NBA to Asians. Beckham came to the galaxies because MLS wants to increase it's viewership. So, don't think that the future success of Nollywood relies on the ibos alone, without the yoruba support, they may be back to square one. If major Yoruba actors and actresses continue to complain like this, people may start taking them more serious. Personally, i used to see the complaints as a mere ranting from a frustrated man/woman but not the established actors too. Nollywood employs one or two hausas in their movies which may be okay considering that their northern fans are not as large as the western fans. One word is enough for the wise.
Re: Tribalism In Ibowood by DeepZone: 5:33am On Oct 09, 2008
look at Deepzone typing "Ibo'' all over the place when she knows the real thing is "Igbo".

Old habits die hard. I've been corrected on this issue 5 million times here but i just can't stop.
Re: Tribalism In Ibowood by Sisikill: 6:44am On Oct 09, 2008
Of course it is hard for your tribalistic mind to add G to a four letter word. . . afterall writing it correctly would mean you respect other people's tribe.

Carry on!
Re: Tribalism In Ibowood by plusQueen: 5:59pm On Oct 09, 2008
DeepZone:

I've said this before remember but my point now as a nollywood lover is that there should be diversification. Yorubas make up about 40% of ibo movies fan base so they can't afford to lose that audience for real. They can afford to lose their Liberian, Ugandan, Carribean, Ghananian etc fans but not home fans. Yorubas already have a stake in the ibo movie industry by the virtue of fan base and it's in the best interest of the movie makers to mark down the proportion of ibo actors and actresses in order to accommodate others. As a matter of fact, Nollywood should be casting indigenous Liberians or Ugandans in their movies by now. Even NBA signed Yao Ming mainly because they want to sell the NBA to Asians. Beckham came to the galaxies because MLS wants to increase it's viewership. So, don't think that the future success of Nollywood relies on the ibos alone, without the yoruba support, they may be back to square one. If major Yoruba actors and actresses continue to complain like this, people may start taking them more serious. Personally, i used to see the complaints as a mere ranting from a frustrated man/woman but not the established actors too. Nollywood employs one or two hausas in their movies which may be okay considering that their northern fans are not as large as the western fans. One word is enough for the wise.

and who tells you there are no Yorubas  and non Igbos in Nollywood?
This thread is a repetition.
someone actually posted names.
If a Yoruba man would not watch a nollywood movie because there are no Yorubas in it,let him keep his money.
There are Yoruba movies with 100% Yorubas abi?
that's an alternative
I doubt if the folks at 51 Iweka road Onitsha are complaining grin

who are these major actresses complaining?
if she refused to act, do you think anyone would miss her?
when our universities are churning out tons of girls willing to work?
Re: Tribalism In Ibowood by grafikdon: 6:10pm On Oct 09, 2008
Lol. . . this topic has been beaten to death. . . Deepzone make u try search button now. . . grin
Re: Tribalism In Ibowood by AloyEmeka9: 6:24pm On Oct 09, 2008
nonsense!
so so complaints Angry
haba!
leave us alone Angry Angry Angry
leave us alone Angry Angry
He started "atlantawood"
they are businessmen
Nonsense!!
end of story!
Nne arinze gi. Every bastard that fails to get a role in Nollywood will quickly attribute i to tribalism. May be igbos that fail to get a job in any of adenuga's companies should blame it on tribalism too. Is nigeria no more a free market? Don't they have a lot of Yoruba producers and directors in nollywood? A friend of mine who is a marketer had a brawl with one yoruba guy last time because he refused to sponsor his script for motion pictures and the guy said I knew it "omo ibo". WTF? Shall we condescend to the desires of any yoruba person because of the fear of being branded a tribalist? How many of the so called yoruba movie lovers can dole out up to 3m to make a movie? They will not because they are not stupid. They know that Nigeria has no structure for recouping their capital quite unlike in America where you are sure of getting at least the capital back from theaters and vending machines. But the yoruba tribalsits who are experts in patronizing pirated copies will quickly come here to criticize your effort if you take that risk. Nollywood is now bigger than Igbo movie industry and it's open to anybody who wants to correct any anomaly. The Yorubas that spew this rubbish fail to realize that the best artistic directors and photographers are yorubas. If you think am lying, check most Nollywood films but they can give anything to work for igbo films because they are paid better. It's time we realize that for those people to give you their best, we need to give them something that can maintain their livelihood and pay their children's school fees. entertainment is no more like the times of zebrudaya and jegede when actors are paid N5 just like soccer is no more like the times of christian chukwu or Segun odegbami when they were paid close to nothing. The world has changed.

Tell me why you yorubas work and save your money in a bank, buy stocks but turn around to expect the igbos to use theirs and produce a movie that may cost over N5M and end up making N1m out of it? If you claim that you love the arts so much and that's why you make your movies out of passion, PAY YOUR DAMN ACTORS well and put money in producing your movies. How many igbo actors are in yoruba movie industry? Did they get there because they were looking for a job or did they get there because the yoruba movie makers wanted to sell their movies with an established face? Same reason why you see the likes of Yemi Blaq or Femi Brainard in igbo movies. The likes of Yemis did not have to beg for roles, it was the igbo marketers that approached them, begged them to work for them because they are established faces and their names worth some coins. How come we don't hear this tribalism bull shit from hausas but only yorubas? How many hasuas do you have in Nollywood but you can never hear any of them cry fowl about tribalism?. Yorubas are the crop of the yoruba movies audience just like hausas are theirs. Igbos generally market these movies and I tell you it boils down to money. You can only sell one yoruba movie for every 10 nollywood movies sold because the yoruba movies are watched mainly by only yorubas even though they think that every body including Obama watches them. same goes for hausa movies but they are sold more in kano and kaduna. The statistics determines how a marketer who is an investor decides to invest his/her money because I cannot invest 3m to make a yoruba movie when i cannot sell up to 1m worth before pirates take over my work.

Get off this tribalist high horse because it solves nothing but plants the seed of hatred on the other side who will be looking for a way to tell you something hurtful. What you tribalists gain from this nonsense is still strange to me unless some kind hearted Nigerian should please indulge me because I may be missing something.

Is there tribalism in igbowood? yes of course

Is there tribalism in yorubawood? yes of course

Is there tribalsim in Beninwood? yes of course

Is there tribalism in Nupewood? yes of course

Is there tribalsim in hausawood? yes of course.

What is the effect of this tribalism? negligible because bad can never surpass good. A political analyst on CNN said the other day that if Obama can maintain a steady 5 point lead over Mccain, the effect of racism will be negligible and i strongly believe that.
Re: Tribalism In Ibowood by AloyEmeka9: 6:26pm On Oct 09, 2008

I'm sure if they WANTED to, they can find a Yoruba person who can speak their 'wannabe Americana" English.
You haven't seen adam sandler and Chris Rock play middle easterner and Jamaican respectively in the movie Zohan?
Re: Tribalism In Ibowood by KarmaMod(f): 6:29pm On Oct 09, 2008
How many igbo actors are in yoruba movie industry?

Would you like a list of them cos I can give it to you.

As long as the person can speak Yoruba, no one is barred from Yoruba movies.

It's funny how the people who dont even WATCH these movies or know anything about them are the ones barking the most. So obvious that they lack the knowledge of the suvbject. Just wanna act like everyone is against them

This is a legitimate arguement. Take your "why is everyone after us" whining else where.
Re: Tribalism In Ibowood by KarmaMod(f): 6:31pm On Oct 09, 2008
Aloy.Emeka:

You haven't seen adam sandler and Chris Rock play middle easterner and Jamaican respectively in the movie Zohan?

Is that your excuse?

Please try again as I already answered osisi's question that asked the same thing.

By the WAY Adam sandler is JEWISH and he played an Israelite in the movie. What is your point?

Chris Rock's mother is Jamaican. Anything else?
Re: Tribalism In Ibowood by Nobody: 6:32pm On Oct 09, 2008
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
whether na yoruba ni o or na Igbo ni o, English Nollywood movies bore the heck out of me. undecided
Re: Tribalism In Ibowood by AloyEmeka9: 6:45pm On Oct 09, 2008
Is that your excuse?

Please try again as I already answered osisi's question that asked the same thing.

By the WAY Adam sandler is JEWISH and he played an Israelite in the movie. What is your point?

Chris Rock's mother is Jamaican. Anything else?
My point is that his accent was fake. Is chris Rock Jamaican too? Is that not what you are complaining.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Actors, Actress, Model Needed Urgengly / The Woman King Flops At The Box Office / [ Full HD ] Bigg Boss Double Trouble 25th October 2015 Full HD Show Online

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.