Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,170 members, 7,953,629 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:12 PM

The Effect Of High Altitude To The Human Body System - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Effect Of High Altitude To The Human Body System (12420 Views)

40 Amazing Facts About The Human Body / What Is Function Of Alomo Bitter In The Body System / Stomach Ulcer: What is the effect? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Effect Of High Altitude To The Human Body System by Jayclinics(m): 11:06pm On Jul 10, 2014
One or two times you must have found yourself
up above the sea level at a very high altitude.
Not basically as a moutain climber but
maybe something else must have driven you up
to that altitude.
Geography has told us that the higher you leave
the ground higher up above sea level the lesser
oxygen available for your lungs to take in. In
order wards, the higher the altitude the lesser
the oxygen available for us to breathe in.

Let us use a moutain climber as an example. At
a certain high altitude, the climber will find it
hard to breathe, this is because the amount of
oxygen available for him is very little at that
altitude compared to the normal amount of
oxygen available for him when he was on a level
ground.

What is this post trying to let you know? My
dear it is actually what happens within your
body; i mean how your body actually reacts to
normalize your body system and curb the
dangerous outcome or effect that this change
in environment will actually cause.

So, at this high altitude, the climber’s body
sets into a condition called hypoxic condition.
And also, due to the inadequate oxygen supply
to the muscles and brain, the body automatically
triggers the increase in production of red blood
cells(erythropoiesis). This process is stimulated
by the secretion of erythropoietien from the
kidney and also from the liver to the bone
marrows which is the production site for red
blood cells. The availability of so much red blood
cells means the availability of many haemoglobin
components which is the red pigment of the
blood and also the oxygen carrier compound
found in the red blood cells. The haemoglobin
consists of two elements which are iron and
protein molecules. The iron refers to the haem-
which binds with oxygen and deposits it to the
fluid that surrounds the cells(Extra cellular
fluid). While the -globin refers to the protein
molecule which binds with CO2 and brings it to
the lungs for diffusion and exhalation.
During the hypoxic condition in the climber’s
body which is because of the inadequate amount
of oxygen available for him. The hypoxia
stimulates some chemoreceptors responsible for
relaying informations for increase heart rate
and respiration. The climber begins to breathe
faster and deeper so as to increase cardiac
output. This increase in cardiac output ensures
that enough blood is supplied to the muscles and
brain.

The increase in red blood cell and haemoglobin
production increase the Oxygen carrying
capacity of the blood and this process is called
BLOOD DOPING .

This phenomenon is what i think is the secret
behind the athletes from kenyan and other
countries located on high topography performing
excellently during long distance races. I think
this is because there body has adapted to this
condition and when they get to sea level they
perform better because they obtain more
Oxygen more than every other althlete on the
track.

http://cliniconomy.com/2014/07/the-effect-of-high-altitude-to-the-human-body-system/

11 Likes

Re: The Effect Of High Altitude To The Human Body System by Onlinebizexpert(m): 11:09pm On Jul 10, 2014
during my little stay in nairaland , I have come to realize that there are some nairalanders who wake up each morning with one prayer point

GOD PLEASE GIVE ME SOMEONE TO HATE so that I CAN GET CHEAP POPULARITY

after that they log in to nairaland and look for GEJ to hate, FOR TINUBU to hate, FOR PDP or APC to hate and the most annoying one for innocent people to hate

so i saw this thread and I made a comment , later someone asked me a question
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Jayclinics:
polycythemia is the condition or let me use the word A rare disorder in which the bone marrow produces an abnormally large amount of red blood cells. The direct opposite of it which is anaemia.

can u explain how low oxygen can bring about polycythemia?

Inbetween, have u graduated from medical sch? Just asking though no strings attached

i was for once happy that I have found a sane person on nairaland who seems to be a medic, so i answered in medic terms and jargon as follows

onlinebizexpert: okay oooo, make i flex u small

in high altitude there is low oxygen a condition which can be termed HYPOXIA, this hypoxia stimulates the production of erythropoietin in the peritubular capillaries of the kidney, the erythropoietin thus produced enhances erythropoiesis.

since hypoxia in high altitude is constant, that means the stimulation of erythropoiesis is continued leading to the production of excess erythrocytes (polycythaemia) these cells thus produced help to carry optimal amount of the little oxygen inhaled into the body system.

shey you now understand...

as to whether i don graduate.....medicine is a continual course so there is no actual graduation

his reply

Jayclinics:

hahahahaha......comfirm!!!!!!
sharp sharp sharp. u dy game.

a friendship was born

due to the fact that i was not expecting this thread to reach FP i was justified in answering in terms that is most suitable when medics are having a convo

then out of no where a hatred filled nin.com.poop, whom from his comment it was very obvious that he had little or no idea about what was talked about just jumped into the convo insulting parties involved

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

moderatorr: A medical practitioner can speak or write for hours without saying anything.
What is the meaning of this

Onlinebizexpert:
okay oooo, make i flex u small
in high altitude there is low oxygen a condition which can be termed [b]HYPOXIA (good, we now know what hyproxia is. So what does it do?), this hypoxia stimulates the production of erythropoietin in the peritubular capillaries of the kidney, the erythropoietin [/b]thus produced enhances erythropoiesis (murder!!, did you understand that?).

since hypoxia in high altitude is constant, that means the stimulation of erythropoiesis is continued leading to the production of excess erythrocytes (polycythaemia) these cells thus produced help to carry optimal amount of the little oxygen inhaled into the body system.
shey you now understand... (yeah right, you were just trying to say that the erythtocytic polycythaemia caused by the inhalation of capillaries in erythroprotein usually result in peritubuar production of hyproxia at high altitudes so Kenyan' find it easier to win long distant erythtocytic polycythaemiasis !)
as to whether i don graduate.....medicine is a continual course so there is no actual graduation

I couldn't blame him i just blamed TECNO for giving this celebrity wannabe an opportunity to have a phone powered by mtn free 10 MB to insult people who were fortunately unaware of his [b]EXISTENCE

as a sane person if two lawyers or farmers are discussing the best thing to do is to keep quiet and ask questions when you are lost and not jump into the discussion and make point which a drunk man would not make just because you know how to use the internet

please sir next time look for morons like yourself and argue with them , I am not interested in SQUABBLING in a PUBLIC forum

THANKS

12 Likes

Re: The Effect Of High Altitude To The Human Body System by Jayclinics(m): 11:32pm On Jul 10, 2014
Onlinebizexpert: my physiology in medical school taught me the following

in high altitude

OXYGEN is low therefore POLYCYTHAEMIA occurs
PACK CELL VOLUME RISES
BLOOD VISCOSITY INCREASES

LUNG VOLUME IS INCREASED

ETC

polycythemia is the condition or let me use the word A rare disorder in which the bone marrow produces an abnormally large amount of red blood cells. The direct opposite of it which is anaemia.

Inbetween, have u graduated from medical sch? Just asking though no strings attached
Re: The Effect Of High Altitude To The Human Body System by Onlinebizexpert(m): 11:49pm On Jul 10, 2014
Jayclinics:

in high altitude there is low oxygen a condition which can be termed HYPOXIA, this hypoxia stimulates the production of erythropoietin in the peritubular capillaries of the kidney, the erythropoietin thus produced enhances erythropoiesis.

as to whether i don graduate.....medicine is a continual course so there is no actual graduation grin

6 Likes

Re: The Effect Of High Altitude To The Human Body System by Jayclinics(m): 12:09am On Jul 11, 2014
Onlinebizexpert:

as to whether i don graduate.....medicine is a continual course so there is no actual graduation grin

Re: The Effect Of High Altitude To The Human Body System by Onlinebizexpert(m): 12:39am On Jul 11, 2014
Jayclinics:

na small tin na grin
Re: The Effect Of High Altitude To The Human Body System by James27: 6:30am On Jul 11, 2014
This nice.
Re: The Effect Of High Altitude To The Human Body System by LMAyedun(m): 6:32am On Jul 11, 2014
Interesting!
Re: The Effect Of High Altitude To The Human Body System by Akshow: 6:35am On Jul 11, 2014
Reading about the complexity of the human system and its unique mode of adaptation always prove that there is someone ominipotent up above that makes sure we are safe and ok. There is God o.

4 Likes

Re: The Effect Of High Altitude To The Human Body System by ERCROSS(m): 6:36am On Jul 11, 2014
just passing by..
and the doctors r talking...
Re: The Effect Of High Altitude To The Human Body System by bacco2000(m): 6:39am On Jul 11, 2014
All these thesis too much for me to understand jare.
Re: The Effect Of High Altitude To The Human Body System by Nobody: 6:40am On Jul 11, 2014
It seems these post is crowded with doctors and wannabes
Re: The Effect Of High Altitude To The Human Body System by Nobody: 6:41am On Jul 11, 2014
Then what about the saying that its cooler at the top,Is it proverbial,or proven tested?
Re: The Effect Of High Altitude To The Human Body System by Nobody: 6:46am On Jul 11, 2014
interesting
Re: The Effect Of High Altitude To The Human Body System by JustCare: 6:47am On Jul 11, 2014
Good to know!
My physio classes would start soon!
Re: The Effect Of High Altitude To The Human Body System by priscaoge(f): 6:47am On Jul 11, 2014
OP U no fit pieces all dis medical terms?undecidedHow u wan make I understand wetin u de talk?gringringringringrin
Re: The Effect Of High Altitude To The Human Body System by unapologetic: 6:49am On Jul 11, 2014
It would have been more interesting if you had mentioned the type of people that are more susceptible to Hypoxia(smokers,alcoholic, drug users). And a break down of the different types of hypoxia like the hypoxic,anaemic and histotoxic with a detailed explanation...

Symptoms and treatment. ....

I love your article so, don't take an offence in my response.... am just contributing like everyone else.

1 Like

Re: The Effect Of High Altitude To The Human Body System by NaLaugh: 6:55am On Jul 11, 2014
error 404.
Re: The Effect Of High Altitude To The Human Body System by NaLaugh: 6:57am On Jul 11, 2014
What if you find yourself at a very high altitude, but were conveyed there on a bottle of Hennessey?

3 Likes

Re: The Effect Of High Altitude To The Human Body System by moderatorr: 7:05am On Jul 11, 2014
A medical practitioner can speak or write for hours without saying anything.
What is the meaning of this

So, at this high altitude, the climber’s body
sets into a condition called hypoxic condition (implying what? Is it good or bad? What i hyproxic condition).
And also, due to the inadequate oxygen supply
to the muscles and brain, the body automatically
triggers the increase in production of red blood
cells(erythropoiesis)(implying what?).. This process is stimulated by the secretion of erythropoietien from the
kidney and also from the liver to the bone marrows which is the production site for red blood cells(so?)..
The availability of so much red blood cells means the availability of many haemoglobin components which is the red pigment of the
blood and also the oxygen carrier compound found in the red blood cells(what should we do with this information?).. The haemoglobin consists of two elements which are iron and
protein molecules(white elephant)..
(And now, ladies and gentlemen, the mother of gibberish).
The iron refers to the haem- which binds with oxygen and deposits it to the
fluid that surrounds the cells(Extra cellular
fluid). While the -globin refers to the[b] protein
molecule[/b] which binds with CO2 and brings it to
the lungs for diffusion and exhalation.
During the hypoxic condition in the climber’s
body which is because of the inadequate amount
of oxygen available for him. The hypoxia stimulates some chemoreceptors responsible for
relaying informations(bad grammar) for increase heart rate and respiration.
The climber begins to breathe faster and deeper so as to increase cardiac
output (is this good or bad to the climber?). This increase in cardiac output [/b]ensures that enough blood is supplied to the muscles and brain(before nko?).

Another one
Onlinebizexpert:
in high altitude there is low oxygen a condition which can be termed [b]HYPOXIA
(good, we now know what hyproxia is. So what does it do?), this hypoxia stimulates the production of erythropoietin in the peritubular capillaries of the kidney, the erythropoietin [/b]thus produced enhances [b]erythropoiesis (murder!!, did you understand that?).

shey you now understand... (yeah right, you were just trying to say that the erythtocytic polycythaemia caused by the inhalation of capillaries in erythroprotein usually result in peritubuar production of hyproxia at high altitudes so Kenyan' find it easier to win long distant erythtocytic polycythaemiasis smiley !)

4 Likes

Re: The Effect Of High Altitude To The Human Body System by TONYE001(m): 7:05am On Jul 11, 2014
Well written...

Basically, in high altitudes, the atmospheric partial pressure of oxygen drops. The following are initiated by the body to ensure homeostasis:

1. Increased release of erythropoietin from the kidneys (90%) and the liver (10%)..

2. Increased rate of erythropoiesis,

3. Hyperventilation which delivers the little oxygen available to the body and gets rid of the accumulated carbon dioxide..

4. Tachycardia which is physiologic..

All these are reversed, gradually, when the subject returns to sea level.

If the subject stays above sea level for long, the body assumes the absence of "enough oxygen" to be the "normal" thus it makes the changes listed above to hang around longer...and longer.. This is similar to what happens when the hypothalamus is "deceived" by pyrogens.. This is what happens with our Kenya brothers. Still, this can be reversed if a Kenyan stays in Nigeria for a while..

The series of adjustments the body makes in response to changes in altitude (or temperature, pressure, etc) is called ACCLIMATIZATION..

My humble submission.. smiley

2 Likes

Re: The Effect Of High Altitude To The Human Body System by TONYE001(m): 7:10am On Jul 11, 2014
unapologetic: It would have been more interesting if you had mentioned the type of people that are more susceptible to Hypoxia(smokers,alcoholic, drug users). And a break down of the different types of hypoxia like the hypoxic,anaemic and histotoxic with a detailed explanation...

Symptoms and treatment. ....

I love your article so, don't take an offence in my response.... am just contributing like everyone else.

...but the OP's topic isn't hypoxia..

Talking about hypoxia to the extent you wished is deviating from the topic. This is why some students get it wrong when answering exam questions.

My observation is that the OP's manner of presentation is poor but I'm sure he/she can do (and would do) better, next time... smiley
Re: The Effect Of High Altitude To The Human Body System by destinysaid(m): 7:11am On Jul 11, 2014
Hmmmm, its always nice to learn something new.
Re: The Effect Of High Altitude To The Human Body System by Funjosh(m): 7:12am On Jul 11, 2014
Is this what lead to phnemonia
Re: The Effect Of High Altitude To The Human Body System by englishmart(m): 7:14am On Jul 11, 2014
Omg. But I have friends that fly very high at nights for meetings in India and so many other places. How come non of them suffocated?

1 Like

Re: The Effect Of High Altitude To The Human Body System by Smartsyn(m): 7:14am On Jul 11, 2014
Onlinebizexpert:

if you call me a novice here, you are damn right
Re: The Effect Of High Altitude To The Human Body System by TONYE001(m): 7:16am On Jul 11, 2014
Sorry, I double posted..
Re: The Effect Of High Altitude To The Human Body System by Neddyogu(m): 7:17am On Jul 11, 2014
Jayclinics:

polycythemia vera is a likely compensatory mechanism in hypoxic anaemia.
Re: The Effect Of High Altitude To The Human Body System by dridowu: 7:22am On Jul 11, 2014
Ok
Re: The Effect Of High Altitude To The Human Body System by Christmasdon(m): 7:44am On Jul 11, 2014
You mean Bolivia Altitude, when messi played in that pitch.

(1) (2) (Reply)

See The Woman With The World's Tightest Vagina (PHOTOS) / 441 Motorists Test Positive To Cocaine And Marijuana In Lagos / COVID-19 Update For February 1 2021 In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.