Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,860 members, 7,817,542 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:04 PM

Pyrates Confraternity Celebrates Wole Soyinka At 80th Birthday(photonews) - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Pyrates Confraternity Celebrates Wole Soyinka At 80th Birthday(photonews) (62251 Views)

Genevieve Nnaji's Parents 46th Wedding Anniversary And Father's 80th (Pics) / Genevieve Nnaji Celebrates Her Dad's 80th Birthday Today (Photo) / Wole Soyinka At 4 Months In November 1934 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pyrates Confraternity Celebrates Wole Soyinka At 80th Birthday(photonews) by Clerverly: 10:56am On Jul 12, 2014
The National Association Of Seadogs A.k.a (Pyrates Confraternity) yesterday rolled out drums, to celebrate one of their own, the erudite Nobel Laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka. Among the dignitaries in attendance were, Rev. Mathew Kukah, Former Nigerian President, Yakubu Gowon, Ogun State Governor, Ibikunle Amosun, Co-Founder of Transparency International, Mrs. Oby Ezekwesili.

14 Likes

Re: Pyrates Confraternity Celebrates Wole Soyinka At 80th Birthday(photonews) by Clerverly: 10:57am On Jul 12, 2014

5 Likes

Re: Pyrates Confraternity Celebrates Wole Soyinka At 80th Birthday(photonews) by Clerverly: 11:09am On Jul 12, 2014
[size=15pt]Ezekwesili Demands New Social Contract From Leaders[/size]

The Former Minister of Education, Mrs Oby Ezekwesili, has stated that for Nigeria to surmount its current socio economic and political challenges, Nigerians must demand a new and normal social contract from its leaders.

Ezekwesili made the call in Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital, while delivering a lecture titled ‘Renegotiating Nigeria’s Social Contract after 100 Years of Nationhood’ marking the 80th birthday celebration of Nobel Laurette, Prof Wole Soyinka.

Ezekwesili, who also advocated on good governance, challenged the citizenry to live up to their responsibilities by putting their leaders on their toes in re-positioning the country’s path of sustainable growth.

She said; “It is not Nigerian to be known as an underperforming country, it is not Nigerian to be known as a corrupt country, it is not Nigerian to be known for every negative label.”

The lecture put together by the National Association of Seadogs, formed by Professor Wole Soyinka in 1948 at the University College Ibadan, was aimed at promoting good governance, social justice, and the advancement of democratic ideals.

It was also to honour the man fondly called “Kongi” by friends and admirers whom to them remained a different personality.

Ogun State Governor, Ibikunle Amosun, referred to the celebrant as “a colossus of our current era”, he added, “the Government and the people of Ogun State are proud of Professor Soyinka, our illustrious son.”

The Catholic Bishop Of Sokoto State, Mathew Kukah, said, “I’m not assessing him on whether he’s a good footballer or whether he plays tennis well, I’m concerned with what church he worships in, if he worships at all, I’ve only come to celebrate what I consider the greatest human being to come out of our continent.”

In his remarks at the occasion, former Military Head of State, Yakubu Gowon, expressed confidence in the future of the country despite current challenges. He said that he believes in Nigerians being able to keep the country together.

5 Likes

Re: Pyrates Confraternity Celebrates Wole Soyinka At 80th Birthday(photonews) by Clerverly: 11:11am On Jul 12, 2014
To the progressives here, I shall be back tomorrow!

Cleverly

13 Likes

Re: Pyrates Confraternity Celebrates Wole Soyinka At 80th Birthday(photonews) by Reallagbake2: 11:13am On Jul 12, 2014
Berem, Cleverly is back! cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Pyrates Confraternity Celebrates Wole Soyinka At 80th Birthday(photonews) by Nobody: 11:14am On Jul 12, 2014
mennnnn!

Wish the leurate many more years...

What's the prerequisite for being a pyrate?

And btw is Kukah one?

3 Likes

Re: Pyrates Confraternity Celebrates Wole Soyinka At 80th Birthday(photonews) by Clerverly: 11:15am On Jul 12, 2014
Seun, move it to the appropriate section. Thank you!
Re: Pyrates Confraternity Celebrates Wole Soyinka At 80th Birthday(photonews) by Nobody: 11:15am On Jul 12, 2014
mennnnn!

And btw is Kukah one? kissmennnnn!

And btw is Kukah one?

3 Likes

Re: Pyrates Confraternity Celebrates Wole Soyinka At 80th Birthday(photonews) by Clerverly: 11:16am On Jul 12, 2014
blizard44: mennnnn!

And btw is Kukah one?

http://nas-int.org/

4 Likes

Re: Pyrates Confraternity Celebrates Wole Soyinka At 80th Birthday(photonews) by vedd: 11:20am On Jul 12, 2014
Most vile acts and groups in the world were started with the best intentions.

Happy Birthday, erudite scholar!

14 Likes

Re: Pyrates Confraternity Celebrates Wole Soyinka At 80th Birthday(photonews) by saasala(m): 11:23am On Jul 12, 2014
Do not think because he is pyrates then supports the lifestyle of many of the so called cultists. I found this artcle about Soyinka's view on cultism. Read it here: http://www..com/prof-wole-soyinkas-view-on-cultism-and-confraternity/

1 Like

Re: Pyrates Confraternity Celebrates Wole Soyinka At 80th Birthday(photonews) by BabaEleko(m): 11:25am On Jul 12, 2014
Long live the Seadogs.

2 Likes

Re: Pyrates Confraternity Celebrates Wole Soyinka At 80th Birthday(photonews) by Coldfeet(f): 11:25am On Jul 12, 2014
See as them be like those bongo dancers with protruding tummy and behind tongue #singing# saminamina eh eh waka waka eh eh

3 Likes

Re: Pyrates Confraternity Celebrates Wole Soyinka At 80th Birthday(photonews) by rattlesnake(m): 11:26am On Jul 12, 2014
angry
Re: Pyrates Confraternity Celebrates Wole Soyinka At 80th Birthday(photonews) by Tolexander: 11:26am On Jul 12, 2014
Happy birthday Prof.

3 Likes

Re: Pyrates Confraternity Celebrates Wole Soyinka At 80th Birthday(photonews) by ahnie: 11:26am On Jul 12, 2014
ok
Re: Pyrates Confraternity Celebrates Wole Soyinka At 80th Birthday(photonews) by Edipee(m): 11:28am On Jul 12, 2014
Please, can someone lend me his or her earphone, I want to listen to music.

1 Like

Re: Pyrates Confraternity Celebrates Wole Soyinka At 80th Birthday(photonews) by purpinkx(m): 11:28am On Jul 12, 2014
I thought it was Pirates II stagnetti's revenge undecided

8 Likes

Re: Pyrates Confraternity Celebrates Wole Soyinka At 80th Birthday(photonews) by brownlord1: 11:29am On Jul 12, 2014
And police arrested some members going for initiation the other day in Calabar abi?

Double Standard

10 Likes

Re: Pyrates Confraternity Celebrates Wole Soyinka At 80th Birthday(photonews) by dheaven: 11:29am On Jul 12, 2014
Clerverly:

http://nas-int.org/

Ya that's the site
Re: Pyrates Confraternity Celebrates Wole Soyinka At 80th Birthday(photonews) by EMERITUS85(m): 11:29am On Jul 12, 2014
hmmm cult

ok na

soon some teenagers will be carrying gun in campus forming seadogs while the real seadogs are gurus and profs

24 Likes

Re: Pyrates Confraternity Celebrates Wole Soyinka At 80th Birthday(photonews) by Nobody: 11:29am On Jul 12, 2014
Coldfeet: See as them be like those bongo dancers with protruding tummy and behind tongue
Do not condemn because your boyfriend, husband, uncle and father might just be members-that's if they are even worthy enough.

7 Likes

Re: Pyrates Confraternity Celebrates Wole Soyinka At 80th Birthday(photonews) by Ericardo7(m): 11:30am On Jul 12, 2014
Happy Birthday Sir!
Re: Pyrates Confraternity Celebrates Wole Soyinka At 80th Birthday(photonews) by EdCure: 11:30am On Jul 12, 2014
vedd: Most vile acts and groups in the world were started with the best intentions.
Sadly, they snowball out'a control...like the gej presidency sad

6 Likes

Re: Pyrates Confraternity Celebrates Wole Soyinka At 80th Birthday(photonews) by EMERITUS85(m): 11:31am On Jul 12, 2014
rattlesnake: angry

guy just try skunk. it has lesser effect than real weed

2 Likes

Re: Pyrates Confraternity Celebrates Wole Soyinka At 80th Birthday(photonews) by phlame(m): 11:31am On Jul 12, 2014
smiley
Re: Pyrates Confraternity Celebrates Wole Soyinka At 80th Birthday(photonews) by Adebowale352: 11:31am On Jul 12, 2014
Soyinka the Great
Re: Pyrates Confraternity Celebrates Wole Soyinka At 80th Birthday(photonews) by stonemind(f): 11:31am On Jul 12, 2014
I don hear
Re: Pyrates Confraternity Celebrates Wole Soyinka At 80th Birthday(photonews) by Nobody: 11:32am On Jul 12, 2014
Wishing u Long live!

1 Like

Re: Pyrates Confraternity Celebrates Wole Soyinka At 80th Birthday(photonews) by almajiri101: 11:33am On Jul 12, 2014
What a wonderful day for Olu jacob and Wole soyinka. I doff my yellow bareta for these 2 great sailors.

11 Likes

Re: Pyrates Confraternity Celebrates Wole Soyinka At 80th Birthday(photonews) by WIZGUY69(m): 11:34am On Jul 12, 2014
JESUS CHRIST IS THE GREATEST MAN ALIVE,
*********CLICK LIKE IF YOU AGREE WITH ME**********

137 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Google Explains Why It Shutdown Linda Ikeji's Blog / Burna Boy Visits DJ Khaled's Mansion, Gets Served Seafood Breakfast Last Last / Emerald Iruobe, Waje's Daughter, Has Grown Into A Beautiful Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.