Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,806 members, 7,810,099 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:41 PM

How Do We Stop The Menance Of Police Extortion Esp In The South East... - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Do We Stop The Menance Of Police Extortion Esp In The South East... (842 Views)

President Buhari Orders Arrest Of Wife’s Younger Brother Over Alleged Extortion / How Can We Stop Recycling Leaders? / Why Do Nigerian Governments Lack Continuity - Esp In Imo State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do We Stop The Menance Of Police Extortion Esp In The South East... by AltarBoy1: 1:31pm On Jul 12, 2014
I dont seem to understand what is happening these days. I could remember sometime back, the IG of police gave an order than all police road blocks should be dismantled. But, the rate at which the road blocks are coming back is alarming. Aside the northern part of the country, where road blocks are justifiable due to the security situation over there, I seem not to understand why the police decided to disobey the order of the IG by setting up road blocks in the southern part of the country esp the south east where I was recently (I have not being to the S/West and I have not seeing police check in S/South except for military checkpoint in the states that I have being to). Road blocks by the police seems to be everywhere, not just the road blocks, but the extortion on motorist by the police.Just yesterday in Nsukka area of Enugu state, I was driving a bike when I was stopped by the some policemen. I wasnt the only person stopped, but once you are stopped, you either give out 50 naira or get your key taken by the police. When I was stopped, I immediately removed the key from my bike before the officer approached me, the following conversation ensued...

Officer-- Hand me your key.
Me-- I Cant give you my key, what did I do?
Officer-- Is like you want to play with fire abi
Me-- I dont want to play with fire, thats why I want to knw what I did.
Officer-- Am a police officer, and am ordering you to give me your key.
Me-- I cant, not until you tell me wat I did.
Oficer-- Cant you see what other bikers are doing.
Me-- Am seeing it, but I cant do what others are doing until I fully understand what they are doing.
Officer-- Is like you want to go to station.
Me-- I dont want to go to station cos I knw we can settle this right now.
Officer-- Good, you are to give me 3 thousand if you want to go (this is because he sensed I was new to town).
Me-- I cant give you any money, even if I want to, I dont have that much.
Officer-- Ok, Give me 2 thousand...
Me-- I brought out 20 naira, folded it and handed it over to him, but he refused collecting it.
Officer-- Its like you are playing with me, you will follow me to the station now.

Being ready for the worst that will happen, I sat on my bike and started going through my contact list to see who I can call for help... After about fifteen minutes, he came up to me and said I should go but I should try and do like others. So I just handed the 20 naira to him and left... All along as I was being delayed, okada riders that went pass that road had to part with 50 naira each. How is this thrend seen as a normal thing in Nigeria in this age when we all want to do away with coruption. Though, I dont blame the officers at times, but I blame the okada riders who are ever willing to bribe the officers. Assuming the first 50 bikes that were stopped by the police refused to pay, by the time the road gets filled with bike and causes traffic, the police will have no option than to let them go.
Though I tried to see if I can copy the number and name of any of the officers, but they were all wearing their inner police polo with no number attached to it. That means, they knw what they are doing. Its high time the police commission come up with a way to stop the daily extortion by police officers...

*EDITED*
Its good never to turn the other side when bad things happen... I was able to bombard the twitter handle of the NPF and also sent a message to the CP of Enugu. Seems like he(they) responded to my report. For the past 3 weeks, I have not come across or seen any police check where they collect money from motorist(okada) here in Nsukka. I think, if the police force respond swiftly to report/complaint like this, and if the citizens of Nigeria take their time to report what ever negative attitude displayed by the police, I think we might see a change in the police force. Am happy that through my effort, some okada men wont have to worry about police extortion in Nsukka(esp btw the 2 UNN gate)... at least for the main time... You never can tell what you can change until you take a step...

2 Likes

Re: How Do We Stop The Menance Of Police Extortion Esp In The South East... by ojimbo(m): 1:45pm On Jul 12, 2014
my dear, the problem is that my brothers down the south east are uncivilised, i was there to see how they mess up their roads with waste yet they claim to be wise. They are still living in stone age time
Re: How Do We Stop The Menance Of Police Extortion Esp In The South East... by AltarBoy1: 1:47pm On Jul 12, 2014
ojimbo: my dear, the problem is that my brothers down the south east are uncivilised, i was there to see how they mess up their roads with waste yet they claim to be wise. They are still living in stone age time
I dont think this has anything to do with civilization.

2 Likes

Re: How Do We Stop The Menance Of Police Extortion Esp In The South East... by ojimbo(m): 1:53pm On Jul 12, 2014
AltarBoy1: I dont think this has anything to do with civilization.
it is. They lack alot down the south east. Do u know that you will be called a foolish man if anyone sees you trying to sweep the roads. What will you call such set of humans?
Re: How Do We Stop The Menance Of Police Extortion Esp In The South East... by AltarBoy1: 1:59pm On Jul 12, 2014
ojimbo: it is. They lack alot down the south east. Do u know that you will be called a foolish man if anyone sees you trying to sweep the roads. What will you call such set of humans?
Seems like you are trying to be tribalistic here. Which part of the road do you main. Front of your house or the main motorable road. Moreover, who goes about sweeping the motorable road if not paid sweepers.
Re: How Do We Stop The Menance Of Police Extortion Esp In The South East... by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jul 12, 2014
ojimbo: my dear, the problem is that my brothers down the south east are uncivilised, i was there to see how they mess up their roads with waste yet they claim to be wise. They are still living in stone age time

Shhhh, No dey make noise here... Am sure say na Aba only u don go before
Re: How Do We Stop The Menance Of Police Extortion Esp In The South East... by naijaking1: 2:25pm On Jul 12, 2014
We really need GEJ to get rogue policemen out of our roads.
Re: How Do We Stop The Menance Of Police Extortion Esp In The South East... by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jul 12, 2014
Someone living in blocks of flats and duplex and someone squatting in a mud house with rusty decayed roof that even SPCA will sue you if you allow a pig to pass a night there, who appear more babaric to you?

3 Likes

Re: How Do We Stop The Menance Of Police Extortion Esp In The South East... by ojimbo(m): 3:16pm On Jul 12, 2014
AltarBoy1: Seems like you are trying to be tribalistic here. Which part of the road do you main. Front of your house or the main motorable road. Moreover, who goes about sweeping the motorable road if not paid sweepers.
help me to complain so that you govs will sit up. Am disapointed in them
Re: How Do We Stop The Menance Of Police Extortion Esp In The South East... by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jul 12, 2014

[size=14pt]Ode![/size] [size=5pt]quote me and amadioha will strike you down[/size] undecided

2 Likes

Re: How Do We Stop The Menance Of Police Extortion Esp In The South East... by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jul 12, 2014
LMFAO ROTF ROTFLMAO LOL LWKMD LAFF LAFF Patterns grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How Do We Stop The Menance Of Police Extortion Esp In The South East... by Nobody: 4:07pm On Jul 12, 2014
AltarBoy1: Seems like you are trying to be tribalistic here. Which part of the road do you main. Front of your house or the main motorable road. Moreover, who goes about sweeping the motorable road if not paid sweepers.
what he's saying is dat they think they are too big to be paid sweepers but a lot of them live below that level of income
Re: How Do We Stop The Menance Of Police Extortion Esp In The South East... by Nobody: 4:10pm On Jul 12, 2014
OkijaAmaka: Someone living in blocks of flats and duplex and someone squatting in a mud house with rusty decayed roof that even SPCA will sue you if you allow a pig to pass a night there, who appear more babaric to you?

so all the houses in alaigbo are flats and duplexes. So that plantain hawker and that furcaniser live in duplexes, abi? You foold just come on nairaland spreading lies.
Re: How Do We Stop The Menance Of Police Extortion Esp In The South East... by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jul 12, 2014
They are also in Lagos. I have seen policemen stoping motorists as early as 5am collecting money from them. When the day starts getting clear,they leave and return the next day.

1 Like

Re: How Do We Stop The Menance Of Police Extortion Esp In The South East... by egift(m): 4:26pm On Jul 12, 2014
Know your right/the law. And don't be afraid of going to the station, if you have committed no offense!

NB: Treat every Police man as a drunkard with a knife
- Don't argue with him
- Don't teach him
- Laugh, joke and pamper them lightly
- Don't drag anything or fight with them

May God help us in Nigeria!
Re: How Do We Stop The Menance Of Police Extortion Esp In The South East... by C0llynzO2: 4:31pm On Jul 12, 2014
berem: They are also in Lagos. I have seen policemen stoping motorists as early as 5am collecting money from them. When the day starts getting clear,they leave and return the next day.
Seems you know a lot about what happens outside at ungodly hours.
Hmmm only God knows where you are always coming back from when you see them.

2 Likes

Re: How Do We Stop The Menance Of Police Extortion Esp In The South East... by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jul 12, 2014
C0llynzO2:
Seems you know a lot about what happens outside at ungodly hours.
Hmmm only God knows where you are always coming back from when you see them.
you have been noticed. Thanks for quoting me.
Re: How Do We Stop The Menance Of Police Extortion Esp In The South East... by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jul 12, 2014
bros, go to ikotun, ilasa, odo eran, ijesha, isolo, oshodi, alapere, ketu, ladipo, shogunle, egbe, ipaja, okoko, orile, agege, isheri etc you go know say lagos na very dirty slum, lagos is just good @ making facades.

2 Likes

Re: How Do We Stop The Menance Of Police Extortion Esp In The South East... by ojimbo(m): 4:47pm On Jul 12, 2014
customized13: bros, go to ikotun, ilasa, odo eran, ijesha, isolo, oshodi, alapere, ketu, ladipo, shogunle, egbe, ipaja, okoko, orile, agege, isheri etc you go know say lagos na very dirty slum, lagos is just good @ making facades.
thoes places have town planning abi?
Re: How Do We Stop The Menance Of Police Extortion Esp In The South East... by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jul 12, 2014
ojimbo: thoes places have town planning abi?
I will tell more places if you care to know. lagos is just good @ making facade beatification.

2 Likes

Re: How Do We Stop The Menance Of Police Extortion Esp In The South East... by AltarBoy1: 9:39pm On Jul 13, 2014
TribalEAST: what he's saying is dat they think they are too big to be paid sweepers but a lot of them live below that level of income
Thats not true...
Re: How Do We Stop The Menance Of Police Extortion Esp In The South East... by AltarBoy1: 9:42pm On Jul 13, 2014
egift: Know your right/the law. And don't be afraid of going to the station, if you have committed no offense!

NB: Treat every Police man as a drunkard with a knife
- Don't argue with him

- Don't teach him
- Laugh, joke and pamper them lightly
- Don't drag anything or fight with them

May God help us in Nigeria!
Seriously, I was scared when the arguement was going on, cos I have heard of stories where policemen killed an innocent driver over 20 naira roja

2 Likes

Re: How Do We Stop The Menance Of Police Extortion Esp In The South East... by AltarBoy1: 3:59pm On Jul 24, 2014
Seriously... this is getting out of hand.... I have been extorted past 500 naira by the NPF in Nsk within the last one week... I dont seem to understand what is it again. they hold you down and delay until you pay 50 naira before they let you leave. Yesterday i was able to get the name of the officer that collected the money from me. i got his number too, but i lost it, couldnt cram well to remeber it but I still remember his name. i have complained at the twitter account of the police force, but nothing has been done and no reply from them. plz if anyone knws where to report outside this nsk (cos am sure the police head in nsk is fully aware of the extortion) shld plz let me knw...
Re: How Do We Stop The Menance Of Police Extortion Esp In The South East... by AltarBoy1: 10:58pm On Aug 10, 2014
Its good never to turn the other side when bad things happen... I was able to bombard the twitter handle of the NPF and also sent a message to the CP of Enugu. Seems like he(they) responded to my report. For the past 3 weeks, I have not come across or seen any police check where they collect money from motorist(okada) here in Nsukka. I think, if the police force respond swiftly to report/complaint like this, and if the citizens of Nigeria take their time to report what ever negative attitude displayed by the police, I think we might see a change in the police force. Am happy that through my effort, some okada men wont have to worry about police extortion in Nsukka(esp btw the 2 UNN gate)... at least for the main time... You never can tell what you can change until you take a step... grin grin

(1) (Reply)

The Hard Truth On How To Curb The Menace Of Bokoharam Attrocities / Lagos Under APC Is An Animal Farm / Disturbing Video Shows How Boko Haram Men Beheaded Nigerian Air Force Officer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.