Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,437 members, 7,819,603 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:55 PM

Ever Wondered Why The NO: 5 On Every Phone Keyboard Has A Dot Behind It? - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Ever Wondered Why The NO: 5 On Every Phone Keyboard Has A Dot Behind It? (8507 Views)

10 Signs You’re Probably Addicted To Your Smartphone (no 5 Will Amaze You) / Almost Every Phone Has This Feature, But Most People Don't Know What It Does / How Beautiful Does Your Phone Keyboard Looks (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ever Wondered Why The NO: 5 On Every Phone Keyboard Has A Dot Behind It? by Sunymoore(m): 8:16am On Jul 14, 2014
TIL!
Re: Ever Wondered Why The NO: 5 On Every Phone Keyboard Has A Dot Behind It? by Nobody: 8:21am On Jul 14, 2014
emperortony:
So you say. I only asked a question, and the learned gentleman has given me an answer. Don't find fault where there isn't any.
I wasn't fault finding. I was just asking an honest question. If you weren't mocking, fine. And if you were, I leave you to your conscience.
Re: Ever Wondered Why The NO: 5 On Every Phone Keyboard Has A Dot Behind It? by emperortony: 8:38am On Jul 14, 2014
annoymous:
I wasn't fault finding. I was just asking an honest question. If you weren't mocking, fine. And if you were, I leave you to your conscience.
Savvy...will it be out of place if I say good morning and how is your day going?
Re: Ever Wondered Why The NO: 5 On Every Phone Keyboard Has A Dot Behind It? by Nobody: 8:45am On Jul 14, 2014
emperortony:
Savvy...will it be out of place if I say good morning and how is your day going?
Lol. Good morning to you too. I'm aite - can't complain.
Re: Ever Wondered Why The NO: 5 On Every Phone Keyboard Has A Dot Behind It? by sirwilly1(m): 9:39am On Jul 14, 2014
emperortony: But how will the blind know if they were to use screen touch grin #question4dgods
That's the reason some tech companies are thinking of making phones that work ar brailles. They're ahead of you.
Re: Ever Wondered Why The NO: 5 On Every Phone Keyboard Has A Dot Behind It? by smudge2079(m): 10:07am On Jul 14, 2014
D square root of 64 is 8 something, av been trying to work it out all day!
Re: Ever Wondered Why The NO: 5 On Every Phone Keyboard Has A Dot Behind It? by ayobase(m): 10:18am On Jul 14, 2014
experimentist: Another dumb azz question, it's simply called 'the home key' just like 'f' and 'j' on your PC..

ode.
people like u come here to intellectually brag after consulting google.

I am glad u actually know how to use google.

learn to be polite!

1 Like

Re: Ever Wondered Why The NO: 5 On Every Phone Keyboard Has A Dot Behind It? by freshness2020: 11:34am On Jul 14, 2014
pendusky:
The blind use it for a middle ground, and can go from there and know where to press keys.
Just like some computer keyboards havea bump on the F and J so they know where to put their index fingers, to line the rest of them up to type.

hope uve learned! cheesy
Ūя̲̅ father no waste school fees for ya head!

1 Like

Re: Ever Wondered Why The NO: 5 On Every Phone Keyboard Has A Dot Behind It? by AdeniyiA(m): 11:54am On Jul 14, 2014
pendusky:
The blind use it for a middle ground, and can go from there and know where to press keys.
Just like some computer keyboards havea bump on the F and J so they know where to put their index fingers, to line the rest of them up to type.

hope uve learned! cheesy
Okkkkkkkkkk.....
i guess touch screen phones aren't meant for the blind
Re: Ever Wondered Why The NO: 5 On Every Phone Keyboard Has A Dot Behind It? by sufficientGrace: 11:59am On Jul 14, 2014
You only wonder when you have notice it.. Jux saw the dot, I'm busy maybe I will wonder latter

Thank for the knowledge. Maybe for the blind
Re: Ever Wondered Why The NO: 5 On Every Phone Keyboard Has A Dot Behind It? by Gooci(m): 12:03pm On Jul 14, 2014
actually, no dot key on my android screen button undecided
Re: Ever Wondered Why The NO: 5 On Every Phone Keyboard Has A Dot Behind It? by pendusky(m): 12:07pm On Jul 14, 2014
AdeniyiA:
Okkkkkkkkkk.....
i guess touch screen phones aren't meant for the blind
you're wrong a have answer that already above lemme post it again!

Everything that seems IMPOSSIBLE is saying IM' POSSIBLE do you
know that
Braille, the alphabet for the blind built out of patterns of bumps,
is the way the blind navigate the world of text. But how do blind
people write Braille themselves? There exist specialized
mechanical devices for the purpose, that look something like little
typewriters, only with just a handful of keys.
Touchscreens have one other feature though–they’re smart. The
team realized that they didn’t have to make keys in a set location
that the user had to find; the user could simply set his fingers
down, and the keys could orient themselves accordingly. Each
time the user lifts all his fingers off the screen and sets them
down again, the keyboard would adjust to the fingers’ new
location.
Just watch this videos and you will find out what am talking
about! Hope youve learned again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?
feature=player_embedded&v=ABfCXJSjAq0
Re: Ever Wondered Why The NO: 5 On Every Phone Keyboard Has A Dot Behind It? by bayusman: 7:52pm On Jul 14, 2014
This should make fp it will surely educate many others on nairaland
Re: Ever Wondered Why The NO: 5 On Every Phone Keyboard Has A Dot Behind It? by 2kurupt(m): 5:17pm On Jul 15, 2014
emperortony:
But how will the blind know if they were to use screen touch grin #question4dgods

Modern touchscreen smartphones running latest versions of android, iOS & Windows phone come pre-installed & equipped with voice command engines that provides voice dialing, text-to-speech, speech-to-text, voice notifications etc. The problem is some of these functions might rely on internet connectivity to work fully.

If only Nigerians will use 80% of the features on their smartphones..

1 Like

Re: Ever Wondered Why The NO: 5 On Every Phone Keyboard Has A Dot Behind It? by BRCOL70: 7:12pm On Jul 15, 2014
justi4jesu: The dot on the 5 key on the numeric cluster is the home key for the middle finger.

Folks (blind or not) use that for keying in numeric entries without having to look at the keyboard.

when the middle finger is properly aligned, it is used to strike the 2, 5, 8 keys, while the index finger strikes the 1, 4, & 7 keys, etc.

This minimizes hand movement and is very

fast when you have trained yourself.

This is similar to the F and J keys on the alphabetic part of the keyboard, those are the home keys for the index fingers for touch typists, and they have similar raised dots on them.

Mmmh...
Re: Ever Wondered Why The NO: 5 On Every Phone Keyboard Has A Dot Behind It? by justi4jesu(f): 7:57pm On Jul 15, 2014
BRCOL70:

Mmmh...

Wetin grin
Re: Ever Wondered Why The NO: 5 On Every Phone Keyboard Has A Dot Behind It? by ladyinred: 8:25pm On Jul 15, 2014
OP, ur moniker is my surname...lol.
I know that's not relevant, just excited to see a very familiar name.
Re: Ever Wondered Why The NO: 5 On Every Phone Keyboard Has A Dot Behind It? by vicadex07(m): 11:55pm On Jul 15, 2014
Emelcee: U will not fall frm d top like
SPAIN,
Ur enemies will suffer
humiliation like BRAZIL,
Ur haterz will misbehave like
SUAREZ, U will neva be misled when
close to ur glory like
BELGIUM,
U will be gettin goals like
GERMANY when ur enemies
are gettin confused like BRAZIL,
U wouldn't be ashamed of
showing face@d place of ur
glory like ESSIEN,
Ur enemy will be impotent
like PORTUGAL,
D goliath dat doesn't want
2give way 2 you will fall like
SPAIN fell to CHILE,
Ur efforts wunt be as futile
as AUSTRALIA's against HOLLAND,
U will be favored and
uplifted
like JAMES RODRIGUEZ,
U will be a world class
achiever like THOMAZ MULLER nd a
record breaking personality
like MIROSLAV KLOSE, U will neva be slow like MIKEL OBI...
So shall it be unto me also,
can
i hear a thunderous Amen
Amen
Re: Ever Wondered Why The NO: 5 On Every Phone Keyboard Has A Dot Behind It? by royalty2013: 11:02am On Jul 16, 2014
So d blind won't use a bb with buttons...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Download Fmwhatsapp V8.45 Mod Latest Version For Android / MTN Is Giving Out Free 6000minutes To Call? / How To Configure Mtn Browsing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.