Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,752 members, 7,809,885 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:36 PM

Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. (21793 Views)

Can You Solve This Primary 6 Quantitative Reasoning Question? / For The Maths Lovers; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. / Quantitative Reasoning Primary 5 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by paranorman(m): 4:55pm On Jul 14, 2014
Out of the total money on her, Kelly took 20% off with her and left over the rest at home on her way to the market. On getting to the market, she saw a radio she liked but found out its price (initial) on its manufacturer's list was 25% higher than what she took to the market. So she thought she could work something out with the seller but was disappointed when told the list got old, prices were adjusted due to inflation and the radio could only be sold at a price which was 50% of her left-over at home; this price was a mark-up of 14 whole and 2/7 % on the original price the seller should have sold it and make a decent profit.

The difference between the original price and initial price is what percent of total money Kelly had?

What percent of the profit is the mark-up price?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by Onlinebizexpert(m): 5:21pm On Jul 14, 2014
Bros you see any isaac newton for nairaland?

32 Likes

Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by paranorman(m): 5:44pm On Jul 14, 2014
Onlinebizexpert: Bros you see any isaac newton for nairaland?
hehehe.. Dem dey na.. Dem just dey run from this question. Som people no wan stress their brains.. Hehehe.. Like i said, its not for the weak minded

1 Like

Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by Nobody: 6:09pm On Jul 14, 2014
(1) 12.5% of the total amount . (2) 114.285714% . my own will come too

9 Likes

Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by paranorman(m): 6:15pm On Jul 14, 2014
hopelink1: (1) 12.5% of the total amount . (2) 114.285714% . my own will come too
great! 1: wrong!
2. Wrong!

Kudos to you for attempting sha.. Thumbs up!
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jul 14, 2014
paranorman:
great! 1: correct.
2. Wrong!

Kudos to you for attempting sha.. Thumbs up!
re-phrase question 2 grammar pls

1 Like

Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by paranorman(m): 11:05am On Jul 15, 2014
hopelink1: re-phrase question 2 grammar pls
there's nothing to raphrase there. The question is xaclty what you think it is.. Just assimilate it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by jayseehe(m): 11:55pm On Jul 20, 2014
I'm good in mathematics, but who much will I be paid for stressing my brain

7 Likes

Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by kobonaire(m): 11:55pm On Jul 20, 2014
Let's say Kelly initially had x Naira. So if she too 20% then
Money taken to market : 0.2x
Money left at home : 0.8x

Radio initial listing price was 25% higher than what she took to the market which means
1.25 * 0.2x= 0.25x

Seller adjusted price was 50% of what she had left at home => 0.5*0.8x= 0.4x
And this price is a 14 2/7% markup of what it actually should have listed for => 1.1427 of what it should have listed for. (The question becomes ambiguous here IMHO).

Anyway if the original price is y then the mark up price is 1.1427y and since it is equal to 50% of what she left at home=>
1.1427y=0.4x

The difference between the original price and initial price is what percent of total money Kelly had?
Original price = 0.4x , initial price = 0.25x => difference - (0.4-0.25)x = 0.15x and as a percentage of what Kelly had = 0.15x/x = 0.15 (15%)

What percent of the profit is the mark-up price? Isn't this simply the mark up? I don't get the question, please clarify @paranorman

[size=13pt]UPDATE[/size]
So the OP has responded saying that the answer to the second question is "INSUFFICIENT DATA" .... abeg, that was rather disappointing, why ask us a question that does not have an answer (simply admit you messed up the question grin) ..... see the post here

23 Likes

Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by rattlesnake(m): 11:57pm On Jul 20, 2014
hamas and isreal dey fight

5 Likes

Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by habisodun(m): 11:58pm On Jul 20, 2014
HMMMMMMMM
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by seunwen2(m): 11:59pm On Jul 20, 2014
Abeg who get Maggi i wan fry akara

6 Likes

Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by Youngzedd(m): 11:59pm On Jul 20, 2014
Some seconds remaining to enter another wonderful day.

2 Likes

Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by Osama92(m): 11:59pm On Jul 20, 2014
Nairaland now belongs to Kid's posting stupid question on front page....smh
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by Youngzedd(m): 12:01am On Jul 21, 2014
Good morning Nairalanders.
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by BrAkingNews: 12:01am On Jul 21, 2014
ok ooo
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by FinSheppard: 12:01am On Jul 21, 2014
Let me try
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by jhydebaba(m): 12:03am On Jul 21, 2014
Abeg, if I get the answer hope say I go rich pass Dangote tongue if no, then I see no reason why I should stress my brain. Na money sure pass.
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by bunmioguns(m): 12:04am On Jul 21, 2014
just here to read comments

3 Likes

Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by Donkaz(m): 12:04am On Jul 21, 2014
Am coming
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by NwaNimo1(m): 12:05am On Jul 21, 2014
she for carry credit card to prevent all dis calculations,

7 Likes

Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by Obinoscopy(m): 12:05am On Jul 21, 2014
Olodos grin

1 Like

Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by Nobody: 12:05am On Jul 21, 2014
Thats very easy. y'all dont nid to crack ya brain. very easy. just type the questn in google and ansa wil pop up ASAP.

2 Likes

Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by Nobody: 12:06am On Jul 21, 2014
Tell u the truth bro,I don't like mathematics

1 Like

Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by Beennkumar(m): 12:08am On Jul 21, 2014
I hate mathematics! angry

2 Likes

Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by adextetoo(m): 12:08am On Jul 21, 2014
Sits and watching for somebody to finish so that I can dub/copy
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by FinSheppard: 12:08am On Jul 21, 2014
Obinoscopy: Olodos grin
MR super moderator. Pls my first and only thread. Please help me publish on front page if possible. Thank you
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by Nobody: 12:11am On Jul 21, 2014
U all have answered correctly,no need of me commenting

1 Like

Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by Nobody: 12:11am On Jul 21, 2014
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by yommyphresh(m): 12:14am On Jul 21, 2014
I don't belong here *strolls out of thread with head bowed and hands behind back*

2 Likes

Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by Nobody: 12:14am On Jul 21, 2014
paranorman: Out of the total money on her, Kelly took 20% off with her and left over the rest at home on her way to the market. On getting to the market, she saw a radio she liked but found out its price (initial) on its manufacturer's list was 25% higher than what she took to the market. So she thought she could work something out with the seller but was disappointed when told the list got old, prices were adjusted due to inflation and the radio could only be sold at a price which was 50% of her left-over at home; this price was a mark-up of 14 whole and 2/7 % on the original price the seller should have sold it and make a decent profit.

What percent of the profit is the mark-up price?

The wording is throwing me off, don't initial and original mean the same thing?

Also, I don't believe the question is correct: For example, say she has 100 naira, and only took 20%, that means she took 20naira to the market and left 80 naira at home.

Now the radio was 25% higher than her 20naira, wich means radio was 25/100 * 20naira + 20naira = 25naira.

If the radio could only be sold for 50% of her money left at home(80 naira), then radio now cost 40 naira.

However 40 naira doesn't represent a 14 2/7% increase from 25 naira, hence I believe the problem might be wrong.

7 Likes

Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by Nastydroid(m): 12:14am On Jul 21, 2014
*spreads math* waiting for jackpot and the rest

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

ASUU Strike: Committee Of VCs Recommend ₦800,000 For Profs, To Resolve Deadlock / Stop calling It "Snake Servant "See The Real English Name / All Girls Schools Make Nigerian Girls Promiscuous

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.