Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,012 members, 7,814,454 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:09 PM

Oops! US Customs Seize And Incinerate Our Precious Snails - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oops! US Customs Seize And Incinerate Our Precious Snails (1216 Views)

"How I Met & Fell In Love With Femi Fani-Kayode" - 27-yr-old Precious Chikwendu / Military Seize Food, Logistics Meant For Boko Haram / EBOLA: Customs Seize Trailer Carrying Monkey Meat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oops! US Customs Seize And Incinerate Our Precious Snails by wesley80(m): 10:02am On Jul 15, 2014

Sixty-seven live giant African snails have been
seized by US customs agents. The snails, which are prohibited in the US, were found by Customs and Border Protection (CBP) inspectors at Los Angeles International Airport. They arrived from Nigeria and were intended for a person in California, said Lee Harty, a spokeswoman for the customs agency.
The molluscs are among the largest land snails in the world and can grow up to 8ins (20cm) long, said officials.
The US Department of Agriculture put the snails in an incinerator after they were inspected, said Harty, because they can carry parasites that are harmful to humans, including one that can lead to meningitis.
They are also potentially damaging to nature, said Maveeda Mirza, the CBP programme manager for agriculture.
"These snails are seriously harmful to local plants because they will eat any kind of crop they can get to," said Ms Mirza, who added that investigations were continuing into why one person would want so many.
"We're investigating what happened, but it doesn't seem like there was smuggling involved," she said.
This is the first time that they have confiscated such a large quantity, she added, although there have been cases of much smaller numbers being found to be accidentally in people's luggage.
bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28304560

Re: Oops! US Customs Seize And Incinerate Our Precious Snails by wesley80(m): 10:11am On Jul 15, 2014

"These snails are seriously harmful to local plants because they will eat any kind of crop they can get to," said Ms Mirza, who added that investigations were continuing into why one person would want so many.

The bolded is evidence that every race has it's folly! Just like our penchant for setting up committees, White folks are launching an investigation into the obvious! Why would anyone fly dozens of snails 6,000 miles across the ocean to destroy American habitat? Do they even realize these "mollusks" are edible?

5 Likes

Re: Oops! US Customs Seize And Incinerate Our Precious Snails by AlienfromMars: 10:12am On Jul 15, 2014
Hmmm! Something Wey I dey eat every day n dey brag say I consume protein. We still have a lot to learn.
Re: Oops! US Customs Seize And Incinerate Our Precious Snails by nkpommpko(m): 10:52am On Jul 15, 2014
They are just jealous of africa,don't they eat them? When they dicover how to produce them and can them the will start exporting it to us, and we won't say no because its from america. Afrca should rise up and stop sending this people our raw goods
Re: Oops! US Customs Seize And Incinerate Our Precious Snails by Arosa(m): 12:21pm On Jul 15, 2014
nkpommpko: They are just jealous of africa,don't they eat them? When they dicover how to produce them and can them the will start exporting it to us, and we won't say no because its from america. Afrca should rise up and stop sending this people our raw goods

LoL, I used to Think that too, but the truth is that they are just concerned about their local plants been eaten up by our giant snail. What they are trying to do is called "protection of local habitat from invading species". undecided
Re: Oops! US Customs Seize And Incinerate Our Precious Snails by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jul 15, 2014
wesley80:

The bolded is evidence that every race has it's folly! Just like our penchant for setting up committees, White folks are launching an investigation into the obvious! Why would anyone fly dozens of snails 6,000 miles across the ocean to destroy American habitat? Do they even realize these "mollusks" are edible?
countries dont just accepted plants/seedlings/animals into their territory anyhow because it could alter their natural habitat.
Re: Oops! US Customs Seize And Incinerate Our Precious Snails by SLIDEwaxie(m): 12:58pm On Jul 15, 2014
Arosa:

LoL, I used to Think that too, but the truth is that they are just concerned about their local plants been eaten up by our giant snail. What they are trying to do is called "protection of local habitat from invading species". undecided
biliv me, they are only going to conserve and rear them. The rest is a lie as alwys!
Re: Oops! US Customs Seize And Incinerate Our Precious Snails by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jul 15, 2014
I bet you that the US will start breeding this snails secretly for their own use.
Re: Oops! US Customs Seize And Incinerate Our Precious Snails by Arosa(m): 1:02pm On Jul 15, 2014
SLIDEwaxie: biliv me, they are only going to conserve and rear them. The rest is a lie as alwys!

If they conserve and rear them like you said, then that is good news na. I love eating snails, men! grin
Re: Oops! US Customs Seize And Incinerate Our Precious Snails by wesley80(m): 3:36pm On Jul 15, 2014
Obiagelli:
countries dont just accepted plants/seedlings/animals into their territory anyhow because it could alter their natural habitat.

Of course they don't, but it should be obvious in a situation like this that someone was planning on having a snail feast. The entire suspicion and investigation is unnecessary IMO.
Re: Oops! US Customs Seize And Incinerate Our Precious Snails by suwailad(f): 3:39pm On Jul 15, 2014
Didnt the person exporting them know u.s customs law, thats how guys go into biz unprepared, then loose out huge.
Re: Oops! US Customs Seize And Incinerate Our Precious Snails by Omexonomy: 3:51pm On Jul 15, 2014
Jelousy and mumu go kill this people
Re: Oops! US Customs Seize And Incinerate Our Precious Snails by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jul 15, 2014
wesley80:

Of course they don't, but it should be obvious in a situation like this that someone was planning on having a snail feast. The entire suspicion and investigation is unnecessary IMO.
the person could also star rearing them with the intention of opening pepper snail shop.

(1) (Reply)

Ayangburen Of Ikorodu, Oba Oyefusi Is Dead / “my Oracle Predicts Aregbesola’s Victory” – Araba Of Osogbo / Achievements Of GEJ: Bill Cliton, Tinubu, Fashola Applauds GEJ (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.