Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,362 members, 7,839,655 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 06:18 AM

Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful (8133 Views)

My Farm Experience Diary: Advice For Intending And Established Farmers (pics) / Intending And First-time Farmers: Lets Meet Here / A Must Read For Plantain Farmers And Intending Farmers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by ayodejy05(m): 9:12am On Jul 30, 2014
ogb5:

Post utme started in the 2005/2006 session. So its not yet up to 10 yrs.
It was a typo. You should have understood.
Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by Santi222(m): 9:14am On Jul 30, 2014
ayodejy05: Anybody that says agriculture does not pay, or cannot make you to be successful is a big liar. Do you know the reason why I said this? I was once in that category. Over 10 years ago, I aspired to be a medical doctor, but if it doesn't work out for me, I will choose microbiology as an alternative. I did all my possible best to be admitted to any of these field, but all to no avail (I passed my jamb and post UTME). Out of frustration, I decided to move to agriculture in which I have been successful without regret.
Agribusiness is a very lucrative business. Take it or leave it! I have tried it and it works out good for me. The reasons why most people run away from agriculture are laziness; cannot take risk; fear of failing. Of a truth, anyone that give those reasons cannot go into any business at all.
Let me tell you, there is no aspect of agribusiness that is not profitable. Either fishery, poultry, pig, rabbit, sheep, goat, cattle, cane rat production, agro-allied business, etc. The mistake most people make is that, they rush into a business without having a sound knowledge of what they are going into. Some will say, "My friend started it and he was successful, and so I will do it too." Have you contacted your friend for more information about the business? You must know the fundamentals of a particular business before you start. Even if you cannot carry out a feasibility study, try and use your instinct to know if you have a favorable environment for a particular agribusiness. For instance, can you start catfish production where there is scarcity of water? Can you setup a pig farm where people don't consume pork (meat of pig)? That is why I like those who always contact me for more information before they setup their farms. I count them as wise people.
These are some of the things that are needed to be considered when going into any agric-related business.
Yes, I know someone will refer to finance as a hindrance. Seriously, money shouldn't be recognized as a problem. A friend of mine always say, "You become a failure the moment you take money as a problem." As an intending poultry farmer, you can start with buying and selling one crate of eggs. Save your profit and plan to expand as profit increases. There are many rich farmers who started this way and they are now an employer of labour. I tried something like this too and it worked for me (contact me and I will give you more tip about this free of charge).
Once again agribusiness is profitable but information and research makes it very easy for you to choose that which will make you successful. Visit websites, forums, and blogs in the agriculture niche for more information on becoming successful through farming. I have a new blog in the livestock farming niche www.livestocking.com , there are information that will interest you there.
Remember, Nigeria has little or nothing to offer the unemployed, now is the time for you to help yourself. As a Youth Corper, try and save for the future. Save part of your monthly allowance even though it’s not enough for you. If you are though with youth service, work towards being an entrepreneur, because…….Entrepreneurship pays.
aspiring farmer.... Intending to contact u soon
Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by ayodejy05(m): 9:17am On Jul 30, 2014
miccheck58:

Are you serious? Post utme not up to ten years? The first post utme was in 2004... please do your simple arithmetic....

It was a typo. Seriously, I didn't proofread the writeup. I only typed it on the forum as I was inspired. But you can read the corrected version here http://www.livestocking.com/2014/07/advice-to-nysc-corpers-unemployed-and.html
Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by ayodejy05(m): 9:20am On Jul 30, 2014
Santi222: aspiring farmer.... Intending to contact u soon
No problem, 24/7 I will surely help you out free of charge. But for the main time, have a feel of the post on my blog. See link on my signature
Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by ayodejy05(m): 9:21am On Jul 30, 2014
justi4jesu: Nice one OP
Thank you.
Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by ayodejy05(m): 9:34am On Jul 30, 2014
Some pictures I took some years ago. Take a look at them.
picture 1: Posing beside my catfish pond
picture 2: Working on the renovation of my pond. I did the renovation with some of my colleagues.
picture 3: After renovation. Ready for stocking
picture 4: vaccinating pullets

1 Like

Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by myspnigeria: 10:52am On Jul 30, 2014
Lovely piece
Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by zurine(f): 12:42pm On Jul 30, 2014
hmmm
Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by ayodejy05(m): 12:57pm On Jul 30, 2014
One advice to those who have made determination to start any agric-related business is; You must familiarize yourself with the business. What do I mean? Get close to those in the business or probably approach them to allow you work with and for them. By doing this, you will learn more. Remember the saying, "Practice make perfect." What you do by yourself will linger in your memory. When you have the fundamentals of such business, you can start yours without any fear. If you need further help (free of charge) , add me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/ayodejy04
Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by ayodejy05(m): 1:01pm On Jul 30, 2014
zurine: hmmm
"Hmmm" lol. Is that a comment or observation?
Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by ayodejy05(m): 1:02pm On Jul 30, 2014
myspnigeria: Lovely piece
Thank you.
Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by excelsiorfarm(m): 5:16pm On Jul 30, 2014
ayodejy05: Anybody that says agriculture does not pay, or cannot make you to be successful is a big liar. Do you know the reason why I said this? I was once in that category. Over 10 years ago, I aspired to be a medical doctor, but if it doesn't work out for me, I will choose microbiology as an alternative. I did all my possible best to be admitted to any of these field, but all to no avail (I passed my jamb and post UTME). Out of frustration, I decided to move to agriculture in which I have been successful without regret.
Agribusiness is a very lucrative business. Take it or leave it! I have tried it and it works out good for me. The reasons why most people run away from agriculture are laziness; cannot take risk; fear of failing. Of a truth, anyone that give those reasons cannot go into any business at all.
Let me tell you, there is no aspect of agribusiness that is not profitable. Either fishery, poultry, pig, rabbit, sheep, goat, cattle, cane rat production, agro-allied business, etc. The mistake most people make is that, they rush into a business without having a sound knowledge of what they are going into. Some will say, "My friend started it and he was successful, and so I will do it too." Have you contacted your friend for more information about the business? You must know the fundamentals of a particular business before you start. Even if you cannot carry out a feasibility study, try and use your instinct to know if you have a favorable environment for a particular agribusiness. For instance, can you start catfish production where there is scarcity of water? Can you setup a pig farm where people don't consume pork (meat of pig)? That is why I like those who always contact me for more information before they setup their farms. I count them as wise people.
These are some of the things that are needed to be considered when going into any agric-related business.
Yes, I know someone will refer to finance as a hindrance. Seriously, money shouldn't be recognized as a problem. A friend of mine always say, "You become a failure the moment you take money as a problem." As an intending poultry farmer, you can start with buying and selling one crate of eggs. Save your profit and plan to expand as profit increases. There are many rich farmers who started this way and they are now an employer of labour. I tried something like this too and it worked for me (contact me and I will give you more tip about this free of charge).
Once again agribusiness is profitable but information and research makes it very easy for you to choose that which will make you successful. Visit websites, forums, and blogs in the agriculture niche for more information on becoming successful through farming. I have a new blog in the livestock farming niche www.livestocking.com , there are information that will interest you there.
Remember, Nigeria has little or nothing to offer the unemployed, now is the time for you to help yourself. As a Youth Corper, try and save for the future. Save part of your monthly allowance even though it’s not enough for you. If you are though with youth service, work towards being an entrepreneur, because…….Entrepreneurship pays.
your blog/website aint bad, it is time people take up agriculture as a business, well done
Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by ayodejy05(m): 5:56pm On Jul 30, 2014
excelsiorfarm: your blog/website aint bad, it is time people take up agriculture as a business, well done
Thanks for checking the site out.
Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by mount1ng(m): 7:45pm On Jul 30, 2014
Agric is not easy when you don't have the right tools. You don't do agric from e-book or textbooks. It is PRACTICAL. No story. I did rice farming with Lagos State for 2 years. I learnt a lot about farming.
There are stages and timing in farming which if you miss it, that's where the risks and uncertainties comes in. Like the site manager will always say, "farming is like photo".
Like the OP said, get somebody to learn the type of farming you intend to do.
Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:55pm On Jul 30, 2014
mount1ng: Agric is not easy when you don't have the right tools. You don't do agric from e-book or textbooks. It is PRACTICAL. No story. I did rice farming with Lagos State for 2 years. I learnt a lot about farming.
There are stages and timing in farming which if you miss it, that's where the risks and uncertainties comes in. Like the site manager will always say, "farming is like photo".
Like the OP said, get somebody to learn the type of farming you intend to do.

Well stated.
Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:58pm On Jul 30, 2014
Farming is good but processing is better.The more you add value to your products,the better for your income on the long term.
like us on www.facebook.com/lesgupnigeria
www.nairaland.com/1806976/processing-agroproducts-fastlane-making-millions/1
Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by ayodejy05(m): 2:30pm On Jul 31, 2014
Lesgupnigeria: Farming is good but processing is better.The more you add value to your products,the better for your income on the long term.
like us on www.facebook.com/lesgupnigeria
www.nairaland.com/1806976/processing-agroproducts-fastlane-making-millions/1

You are also right.
Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by Babacele: 10:10pm On Jan 21, 2015
Yomieluv:
Farming is good,but the risk factor is too high..mum Ventured into fish farming,she ran at a loss,but she's determined,she hatches the fingerlings herself now..the business is damn too capital intensive,and very stressful..a close friend went into poultry,with time,the fowls started dying,he had to start selling at give away price,also ran at a loss..
because they refused to learn that every step in agribiz n farming needs quality control!
Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by OLAMIMO12(m): 6:02pm On May 03, 2015
@ogb5.......op might miss-calculated. Post UME started in d year 2005. and UTME is just a baby to Post UME. Anyway we catch the drifts from both of you. tnx
Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by OLAMIMO12(m): 8:04pm On May 03, 2015
welldone to you @OP. All contributors keep it moving. tnx

(1) (2) (Reply)

Export Business Experts Speak On Boosting Non-oil Export In Nigeria / Want To Purchase Palm Kernel Cake (PKC)? We Supply! / Who Have Ever Seen A Matured Foreign Turkey.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.