Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,584 members, 7,820,113 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:58 AM

Advice Needed Urgently On The Best Interest Of A Child In distance Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Advice Needed Urgently On The Best Interest Of A Child In distance Marriage (1080 Views)

7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria / Nigerian Guy And A Hungry Child In Philippines (Photos) / I Am Getting Tired Of My Long Distance Marriage. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Needed Urgently On The Best Interest Of A Child In distance Marriage by Nobody: 11:13pm On Jul 16, 2014
Since i got a job 2 years ago, My husband and I are currently leaving apart and it has been a challenge. All attempts to get a transfer to be with and so far have been unsuccessful and I have gotten discouraged. Because of my feild of study, i can only work in abuja or Lagos even though they have offices all over the country. Moving to Lagos is farther away from my husband, so I and my 3 year old son moved to abuja.

I have not given up entirely on getting a transfer even if it means switching to a different department, and praying for God's favour.

To manage the situation, we try to visit each other every 2 weeks or less, my husband does most of the travelling though but its not the same. So many issues are coming up and the expenses in abuja are making things worse . Its almost as if, am working and have nothing to show for it while my littl family suffers.
Particularly, my son and this is where I need your advice please.
First, I drop my son in school by 7.30am and pick him at 5 after work because I do not have a help and also because I believe a school is better than leaving a child unsupervised with a help at home anyways. Am not happy Leaving my child that long in school.

Second, the school fees of is expensive for me( although a cheap sch for Abuja levels) and even at that, I am not satisfied with the standard of the school (except I want to pay more which I can't) and my son is really not doing well at the school.
Third is the growing bomb threats on Abuja schools even though insecurity is all over.

Now my husband is saying our son should move back with him and school in our state of which there are several good and far cheaper schools.

Also, he says I should get a smaller accommodation and save more from rent since he is taking our son.

My husband as a business man is his own boss and can schedule his work around his family unlike me. He has always been a hands on father and can actually take care of our boy plus he has the help of both our parents and other relatives.
With all the bomb threats, My husband feels he can better protect our son because as a man he can handle a crisis situation better.

While I understand the benefits, i believe child needs the mother at all my times, and a mother cannot be substituted even if well intended.
Also, if my child is not with me, then how will I cope alone after work, it seems so pointless. The extra money saved should not overshadow the child's best interest.
On security, the whole country is not safe, whether the child is with me or with him. It is only God that protects. Moreover, who will protect me in Abuja? Shouldn't my husband be concerned about me too?

My husband says I am being sentimental, so i decided to post this and to hear your veiws. School resumes in September, n I need to have a position soon.
Thanks
Re: Advice Needed Urgently On The Best Interest Of A Child In distance Marriage by coogar: 11:22pm On Jul 16, 2014
topsyb:
While I understand the benefits, i believe child needs the mother at all my times, and a mother cannot be substituted even if well intended.

Also, if my child is not with me, then how will I cope alone after work, it seems so pointless. The extra money saved should not overshadow the child's best interest.

On security, the whole country is not safe, whether the child is with me or with him. It is only God that protects. Moreover, who will protect me in Abuja? Shouldn't my husband be concerned about me too?

you are very selfish!
how will you cope after work without your son? how has your husband been coping after work since all these years?

the extra money saved is the crux of the matter & since you are closer to boko haram than your husband, it makes so much sense that the boy is moved to a safer environment.
Re: Advice Needed Urgently On The Best Interest Of A Child In distance Marriage by remsonik(f): 11:31pm On Jul 16, 2014
Madam let ur son be with ur husband since its economically and would be psychologically ok for the child. Make sure u travel to see ur family fortnightly or at most once in a month. Don't be selfish, since ur husband is capable to take care of that child it will be wise to let him ve custody.
Re: Advice Needed Urgently On The Best Interest Of A Child In distance Marriage by Onlinebizexpert(m): 11:34pm On Jul 16, 2014
spreads mat.........................nkechi gimme toothpick and pure water

oya advisee i dey wait
Re: Advice Needed Urgently On The Best Interest Of A Child In distance Marriage by coogar: 11:34pm On Jul 16, 2014
remsonik: Madam let ur son be with ur husband since its economically and would be psychologically ok for the child. Make sure u travel to see ur family fortnightly or at most once in a month. Don't be selfish, since ur husband is capable to take care of that child it will be wise to let him ve custody.

nah - she's too selfish to let the boy be with the husband. she's also too selfish to get a smaller apartment & save money for the benefit of the family.
Re: Advice Needed Urgently On The Best Interest Of A Child In distance Marriage by remsonik(f): 11:45pm On Jul 16, 2014
coogar:

nah - she's too selfish to let the boy be with the husband. she's also too selfish to get a smaller apartment & save money for the benefit of the family.
Hmmm I just pray she can do the two things. May another woman not push u Op out of ur matrimonial home.
Re: Advice Needed Urgently On The Best Interest Of A Child In distance Marriage by Nobody: 12:02am On Jul 17, 2014
Selfishness noted, though a bitter pill to swallow. Appreciate your bluntness, I really am trying to be rational.
Re: Advice Needed Urgently On The Best Interest Of A Child In distance Marriage by coogar: 12:20am On Jul 17, 2014
topsyb: Selfishness noted, though a bitter pill to swallow. Appreciate your bluntness, I really am trying to be rational.

there's no rationality here.
you are closer to boko haram, the cost of living where you are is way too expensive, what else do you need to convince yourself that your son should move where it's cheaper & relatively safer?

i mean, you are the woman here....
if push comes to a shove, can you protect your child like his dad would? can you run? can you jump from a storey building in an emergency situation? can you go into an inferno to save a child?
Re: Advice Needed Urgently On The Best Interest Of A Child In distance Marriage by Nobody: 12:51am On Jul 17, 2014
Op, what's the worst that could happen if you leave this job?
I mean, you just said there's almost nothing to show for it, don't you think you're sacrificing too much (your family) for almost nothing?

5 Likes

Re: Advice Needed Urgently On The Best Interest Of A Child In distance Marriage by soulglo: 1:39am On Jul 17, 2014
You work and pretty much everything is spent as soon as you get it
You only get to see your husband a few times a month in what seems like a very young marriage
You already know that you can only likely work in either Lagos or Abuja and your home is in the east
Living separately is not working for any of the three of you

Why are you and your husband not together? I don't see any reason for this job. There has to be more to this story.

3 Likes

Re: Advice Needed Urgently On The Best Interest Of A Child In distance Marriage by ukandi1(m): 3:02am On Jul 17, 2014
alutacontinua: Op, what's the worst that could happen if you leave this job?
I mean, you just said there's almost nothing to show for it, don't you think you're sacrificing too much (your family) for almost nothing?

Nice observation . U have just spoken my mind as well.. My Kid sister just resign her job with FIRS to rejoin d husband in P.H after trying to seek a transfer to no avail. She is not regretting at all. According to her, she feels more alive now, so what are we saying?

Op, i believe u will get a beta offer tomoro so if need be, u may have to consider family first before that abuja distraction u call a job, i know its not easy to secure a gud job. Weigh ur options and do d needful.
Do it now.
Re: Advice Needed Urgently On The Best Interest Of A Child In distance Marriage by armyofone(m): 3:32am On Jul 17, 2014
Exactly....Even once the child goes to your husband, she should start kissing the relationship goodbye/see it as the beginning of the end.
Quit your job and move in with your family (hubby and child).
Look for another job there and live your life.
Too much hassles and how long will you guys continue to do the long distant thing?

alutacontinua: Op, what's the worst that could happen if you leave this job?
Re: Advice Needed Urgently On The Best Interest Of A Child In distance Marriage by misssPepper(f): 5:52am On Jul 17, 2014
OP leave this job. Find something else to do. For u n ur husband to decide to let u work in abj in the 1st place I guess there is a level of understanding btw d both of u. So tell him and quit. U don't have any benefits in abj.. u r losing out
Re: Advice Needed Urgently On The Best Interest Of A Child In distance Marriage by ahnie: 6:03am On Jul 17, 2014
following oooooh.
Re: Advice Needed Urgently On The Best Interest Of A Child In distance Marriage by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jul 17, 2014
misssPepper: OP leave this job. Find something else to do. For u n ur husband to decide to let u work in abj in the 1st place I guess there is a level of understanding btw d both of u. So tell him and quit. U don't have any benefits in abj.. u r losing out

From the beginning, my husband was expereincing financial highs and lows from his business and we agreed that if i get a stable job, it will aid us in planning better. The mistake made was not having the right facts about the organisation before starting the job. whatever the case, quitting is an option am willing to take in the long run if nothing changes at work, but for now, we agreed to endure another one year and see.

however, i need to make a decision now on whether its best for our 3 year old to stay with me or with his father. september is around the corner, and will have some preparations to make before that time.

tanks for all the contributions so far

By the way, my husband is a nairalander and this is my first post.
Re: Advice Needed Urgently On The Best Interest Of A Child In distance Marriage by shrekandfiona: 1:51pm On Jul 17, 2014
@ Op, I'll advise that you quit your job and relocated back with your son to unite with hubby.

you will get another job in your new place with time and you can also join hubby in his business or look for something to do.

I was once in your shoes some years back. I was earning more than hubby in my work place and our location was far apart. I was also with a toddler. Unlike your hubby, mine never visited often was always complaining of high transportation cost.

I had to take the bold step of resigning and relocating. It was tough at first but I have no regrets at all and things have indeed picked up.

A child is better of growing with both parents in his formative years. Please don't deprive your child of that.

I stay in Abuja as well and the cost of rent, school fees etc is quite high. A salary earner can hardly sustain that.
Re: Advice Needed Urgently On The Best Interest Of A Child In distance Marriage by TV01(m): 2:00pm On Jul 17, 2014
Your husband has spoken well.

And your concerns about your child are also valid - especially given the turmoil the child wil feel if seperated from you now.

If your husbands business cannot be relocated. You need to think about moving to be with him, which of course may necessitate a strategic career change.

All the best.

TV
Re: Advice Needed Urgently On The Best Interest Of A Child In distance Marriage by beeevan: 4:16pm On Jul 17, 2014
Let the child stay with the father, my son was only 1 when he had to stay with his alone, i hook up with them every weekend though.

Be reasonable here, the child is better off with his father.
Re: Advice Needed Urgently On The Best Interest Of A Child In distance Marriage by coogar: 8:39pm On Jul 17, 2014
topsyb:

From the beginning, my husband was expereincing financial highs and lows from his business and we agreed that if i get a stable job, it will aid us in planning better. The mistake made was not having the right facts about the organisation before starting the job. whatever the case, quitting is an option am willing to take in the long run if nothing changes at work, but for now, we agreed to endure another one year and see.

however, i need to make a decision now on whether its best for our 3 year old to stay with me or with his father. september is around the corner, and will have some preparations to make before that time.

tanks for all the contributions so far

By the way, my husband is a nairalander and this is my first post.

who is he? 190 or pickabeau1?
Re: Advice Needed Urgently On The Best Interest Of A Child In distance Marriage by pickabeau1: 8:42pm On Jul 17, 2014
angry grin grin grin
Re: Advice Needed Urgently On The Best Interest Of A Child In distance Marriage by baby124: 8:44pm On Jul 17, 2014
Leave the low paying worthless job Abeg. And move where your husband is. Look for opportunities there or find a new career. A career that you can use to find a job no matter the location. That job is not worth all this trouble.
Re: Advice Needed Urgently On The Best Interest Of A Child In distance Marriage by Nobody: 10:25am On Jul 18, 2014
Its gonna take a lot of courage to quit, but the way forward is getting obvious from all your comments.
Re: Advice Needed Urgently On The Best Interest Of A Child In distance Marriage by ifyalways(f): 10:55am On Jul 18, 2014
The job ain't bringing in any extra income so what gives? Relocate back home already @ OP. Its not worth it.
Re: Advice Needed Urgently On The Best Interest Of A Child In distance Marriage by Adonisteve: 3:09pm On Mar 14, 2023
ahnie:
following oooooh.

(1) (Reply)

Re: Woman Jumped Off A Building Over Cheating - Busted / I Haven’t Heard From My Husband Since He Got A Job In Owerri 10 Years Ago / School Raised Money To Fly Mom From Nigeria To See Her Son Graduate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.