Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,159 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:06 PM

Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. (14089 Views)

Doctors’ Strike Paralyses Ekiti Teaching Hospital / First Nigerian Ebola Survivor Not Treated With "Nano Silver" - Health Minister / Doctors’ Strike Cripples Hospitals Nationwide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by poiZon: 1:25pm On Jul 18, 2014
lrguru: Watchin this whole movie in my 14inches black n white tv, n its not even clear. Abeg what did de say happen again?

dem say water don flow finish for river niger, fg want constitute comittee to look into d matter n another committee that will look into sourcing funds so they can export some water into the river. the way dis thng is going boko haram fit vex o.
Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by dakotchic(f): 1:28pm On Jul 18, 2014
DanNafada:

I respect your position in some ways but you really do not have to go on a TOTAL strike to get things done. You only lose respect the more.
Why not simply decide to cancel clinics and other non-essential services? Why do you have to stop emergency services knowing quite well that people will die DAILY as a consequence? I am sorry, you cannot defend that.
No no don't get it wrong!Consultants are managing the cases already on admission including twice daily rounds in the intensive care units. Emergencies are also being attended to. The strike affects cold and elective cases. Mind you I'm also a victim of the strike too o!my antenatal clinic has also been cancelledsad

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by Nobody: 1:29pm On Jul 18, 2014
Tobbie9: Guy were u banned?

Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by buggaboo: 1:30pm On Jul 18, 2014
Reps always barking. Can't you guys bite for once.
Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jul 18, 2014
poiZon:

dem say water don flow finish for river niger, fg want constitute comittee to look into d matter n another committee that will look into sourcing funds so they can export some water into the river. the way dis thng is going boko haram fit vex o.
seriously!!! And me tthink se dem don shift river niger go borno this Naija sha!!!
Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by Oduduwaboy(m): 1:47pm On Jul 18, 2014
deadie:

You said it all. The mentality of the doctors in Nigeria is very different. I work in a hospital in Germany and the hospital director is not a physician. Yet the NMA will rather see patients die than have the position open to all qualified persons? Their ego is out of this world.
What method of hospital administration holds in the USA sir ? do you know ? if its so beautiful in Nigeria , why did you leave na?

4 Likes

Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by Chartey(m): 2:43pm On Jul 18, 2014
DanNafada: My little contribution as a doctor who has worked in a teaching hospital in Naija and now working in the NHS:

1. It is an absolute shame for any doctor to go on total strike, for whatever reason. There is just no justification for causing so much suffering and death in a profession that is considered to be as noble as Medicine.
2. The Chief Executive of every major health organization or hospital in most of the West is NOT a doctor. In the NHS for example, there is a Medical Director and others below him who are doctors but the head honcho is the Chief Executive, who is usually not a doctor.
3. There are Nurse Consultants in the NHS but they are mainly based in tertiary academic units and hardly involved in daily clinical care.
4. The first and only time I remember the BMA agreeing to a Doctor's strike in England, emergency and other essential services were not affected. Hardly anybody noticed there was a strike going on and most of this was because doctors voluntarily decided it would have been unethical, even if the reason for considering the strike was justified.

Nigerians have enough on their hands as it is. That a group of very educated and essential professionals cannot see why it is necessary to get back to work simply for the sake of the common man is extremely sad.

Remind me again. Why did you leave Nigeria? Because you have experienced some amount of comfort in your travels doesn't mean you should forget how difficult and different things at home are. How many strikes overall happen in the UK?

2 Likes

Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by leo1234(m): 3:02pm On Jul 18, 2014
DanNafada: My little contribution as a doctor who has worked in a teaching hospital in Naija and now working in the NHS:

1. It is an absolute shame for any doctor to go on total strike, for whatever reason. There is just no justification for causing so much suffering and death in a profession that is considered to be as noble as Medicine.
2. The Chief Executive of every major health organization or hospital in most of the West is NOT a doctor. In the NHS for example, there is a Medical Director and others below him who are doctors but the head honcho is the Chief Executive, who is usually not a doctor.
3. There are Nurse Consultants in the NHS but they are mainly based in tertiary academic units and hardly involved in daily clinical care.
4. The first and only time I remember the BMA agreeing to a Doctor's strike in England, emergency and other essential services were not affected. Hardly anybody noticed there was a strike going on and most of this was because doctors voluntarily decided it would have been unethical, even if the reason for considering the strike was justified.

Nigerians have enough on their hands as it is. That a group of very educated and essential professionals cannot see why it is necessary to get back to work simply for the sake of the common man is extremely sad.

I don't really get u.
Please, in the west-
Are the medical directors medical doctors?(not chief executives)
Do the consultant nurses consult in the hospital?(I mean a patient who goes to the hospital can see a consultant nurse because he/she knows what the doctors know.)

2 Likes

Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by leo1234(m): 3:17pm On Jul 18, 2014
deadie:

You said it all. The mentality of the doctors in Nigeria is very different. I work in a hospital in Germany and the hospital director is not a physician. Yet the NMA will rather see patients die than have the position open to all qualified persons? Their ego is out of this world.
The person u quoted said majority of the chief executives are non doctors. But he did not state if the medical directors are usually doctors or not.
So in Germany-
Are the medical directors usually doctors or not?
Do consultant nurses consult in the hospital?(a patient who visits the hospital can see a consultant nurse because he/she knows what the doctors know.)

3 Likes

Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by drered(m): 4:28pm On Jul 18, 2014
leo1234: I don't really get u.
Please, in the west-
Are the medical directors medical doctors?(not chief executives)
Do the consultant nurses consult in the hospital?(I mean a patient who goes to the hospital can see a consultant nurse because he/she knows what the doctors know.)
Stop being ignorant and insecure cuz nobody is trying to take "your patients" from you.. The doctor should always be the first point of call by a patient and nothing is going to change that. You should objectively look at what consultancy by other members of the healthcare team in saner climes entails.
Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by Nobody: 5:01pm On Jul 18, 2014
sisiafrika: you should be ashamed of yourself if this is the best counter opinion you could tender.

Lol, u sista should b d 1 ashamed 4 sucking up all he said.... all wat he said I v addressed b4 in previous post..don't have time to b repeating myself hu does not know wat he z saying.... Google is ur friend, ask if der are consultant nurses, or pharmacist in a clinical setting outside dz country..........mk ur research......
Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by leo1234(m): 5:09pm On Jul 18, 2014
drered: Stop being ignorant and insecure cuz nobody is trying to take "your patients" from you.. The doctor should always be the first point of call by a patient and nothing is going to change that. You should objectively look at what consultancy by other members of the healthcare team in saner climes entails.

I think u don't really know what is going on in Nigeria.
In Abuja patients who came to the hospital were asked to see the consultant nurse because she can do what the doctors do.
At uch Ibadan a plastic surgeon was prevented from inspecting the wound of his patient because a consultant nurse had done that.
At Nnewi a consultant pharmacist went for a ward round and changed the prescription made by a cardiologist on the ground that the drug have some side effects.
Are these obtainable in saner climes too?

1 Like

Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jul 18, 2014
leo1234:
In Abuja patients who came to the hospital were asked to see the consultant nurse because she can do what the doctors do.
At uch Ibadan a plastic surgeon was prevented from inspecting the wound of his patient because a consultant nurse had done that.
At Nnewi a consultant pharmacist went for a ward round and changed the prescription made by a cardiologist on the ground that the drug have some side effects.

in the hospital setting, a doc should be the first point of call. The contributions of others may only be needed if the need arises. Be wise!
Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by deadie(m): 5:32pm On Jul 18, 2014
Oduduwaboy:
What method of hospital administration holds in the USA sir ? do you know ? if its so beautiful in Nigeria , why did you leave na?

I did not mention the USA, perhaps you can read. There are many reasons why I left, your poor health care system and love for strikes inclusive.

leo1234: The person u quoted said majority of the chief executives are non doctors. But he did not state if the medical directors are usually doctors or not.
So in Germany-
Are the medical directors usually doctors or not?
Do consultant nurses consult in the hospital?(a patient who visits the hospital can see a consultant nurse because he/she knows what the doctors know.)

There is the position of the hospital director (which is essentially what the CMD is for in Nigeria) and there is a medical director (equivalent to the Medical advisory committee in Nigeria). The function of the medical director advise the hospital director. . I did not mention anything about consultant nurses. However, what makes you, a physician with a Bachelor's degree feel like you have the authority to determine what other professionals in their own fields may or may not achieve? You guys should stop being so petty.

2 Likes

Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by obidiegwujane10(f): 5:45pm On Jul 18, 2014
sublimes: The Minister is obviously tired of the frivolous demands of the doctors.
y will they be tired when the masses health are depending on the doctors
Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by Nobody: 5:47pm On Jul 18, 2014
leo1234:

This shouldn't be if there is effective communication between the doc.and other health professionals. patient care should be seen as a team approach, with a doctor at the centre of it.
But if a doctor looks down on others, others will want to do d same.
In a case where a consultant prescribes a drug and a pharmacist thinks otherwise, if they both have the interest of the patient at heart, they will listen to each other.
Usually the doctor has his reasons for writing what he wrote(drugs) and sometimes the doctors are wrong. If the doctor is wrong and egoistic then the patient will suffer but if the doctor is humble enough to admit the mistake, the patient is better and the Doc. takes the glory.

#team work, effective communication, mutual respect. Then will our health system be great and have better patient satisfaction

3 Likes

Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by armadeo(m): 6:15pm On Jul 18, 2014
drered: . You should objectively look at what consultancy by other members of the healthcare team in saner climes entails.

We have and still don't see the point in a hospital setting
Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by iiiyyyk(m): 6:15pm On Jul 18, 2014
dakotchic:

Yes you are right and have only repeated what doctors have been saying. The CEO, AKA chairman of board AKA policy maker of the hospital must not be doctor and that already happens. You further corroborated that the medical director AKA CMD must be a doctor, that's what we are also saying. We have also researched and found that nurse and pharmacy consultants exist but not in clinical/hospital settings. Thanks for buttressing our points! Finally I agree strike shouldn't be a first or middle resort but a last resort and that's why NMA at its wit's end, has resorted to strike. I think it's justifiable and recently in 2012 doctors in scotland went on strike too.

U know the truth, but u are just trying to twist the truth, this is not goin to help us, our society is geting wiser day by day.
In nigeria, the CMD is doing the job of a CEO. This office is not a clinlcal position and shld not be an exclusive reserve for physicians. The office of the CMD in nigeria, is purely managerial and adminlstrative and could be occupied by any body.

The office of CMAC, in nigeria, is same as MD in developed world, is purely clinical office and should be occupied by a consultant physician.

For our heath care to grow, we need CEOs who will run our hospitals without any professional bias.

It is only the truth that will set us free.

2 Likes

Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by klodike(m): 6:16pm On Jul 18, 2014
For ur mind!!
Mishydoo: Doctors are rapidly loosing their relevance!Seems no one cares anymore...!#tune out the noisy cry baby cool
Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by armadeo(m): 6:20pm On Jul 18, 2014
greatbygrace:
This shouldn't be if there is effective communication between the doc.and other health professionals. patient care should be seen as a team approach, with a doctor at the centre of it.
But if a doctor looks down on others, others will want to do d same.
In a case where a consultant prescribes a drug and a pharmacist thinks otherwise, if they both have the interest of the patient at heart, they will listen to each other.
Usually the doctor has his reasons for writing what he wrote(drugs) and sometimes the doctors are wrong. If the doctor is wrong and egoistic then the patient will suffer but if the doctor is humble enough to admit the mistake, the patient is better and the Doc. takes the glory.

#team work, effective communication, mutual respect. Then will our health system be great and have better patient satisfaction

Point of correction while I agree that there are some arrogant drs, the arrogance isn't because of medicine its a fundamental HUMAN FLAW. However its unfair to tag all drs arrogant. That being said a large majority of those shouting ego ego ego have low self esteem. I have seen some johesuites here who are really proud ofttheir profession.

When u read what they post you know they tactically aren't taking sides but defend their profession with pride. .

many others
Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by klodike(m): 6:22pm On Jul 18, 2014
Who is this one

Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by iiiyyyk(m): 6:45pm On Jul 18, 2014

Thanks for saying the simple truth. If our health system will ever grow, we must adhere to the truth and follow internationa best practises.
This will reduce professional conflicts, eliminate unnecessary strikes and enhance profesional development and better healthcare services.
Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by dakotchic(f): 6:59pm On Jul 18, 2014
iiiyyyk:

U know the truth, but u are just trying to twist the truth, this is not goin to help us, our society is geting wiser day by day.
In nigeria, the CMD is doing the job of a CEO. This office is not a clinlcal position and shld not be an exclusive reserve for physicians. The office of the CMD in nigeria, is purely managerial and adminlstrative and could be occupied by any body.

The office of CMAC, in nigeria, is same as MD in developed world, is purely clinical office and should be occupied by a consultant physician.

For our heath care to grow, we need CEOs who will run our hospitals without any professional bias.

It is only the truth that will set us free.

Not true dear! The CMD sure is managerial but has lots of clinical bias. There is a director of Administration who works directly almost at par with the CMD and they are both answerable to the Chairman of board. Please Google is our friend. You can only say there may be no need for the CMAC position and for that I have no opinion grin
Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jul 18, 2014
armadeo:

Point of correction while I agree that there are some arrogant drs, the arrogance isn't because of medicine its a fundamental HUMAN FLAW. However its unfair to tag all drs arrogant. That being said a large majority of those shouting ego ego ego have low self esteem. I have seen some johesuites here who are really proud ofttheir profession.

When u read what they post you know they tactically aren't taking sides but defend their profession with pride. .

many others

I never mentioned in my post that all doctors are arrogant, the fact is that many doc. I know are intelligent and humble but from what I can see from this forum many are arrogant and I don't disagree with the fact that some/many JOHESU members have low self esteem.
All I'm saying is that if everyone puts the interest of the patient at heart things will be better.
There is nothing wrong if a Doctor corrects a pharm. Or a pharm. Corrects a doc. Or if a physio advises to on patient treatment, or a nurse suggesting sometin. If its for the patient's best interest
If each and everyone speaks to each other politely and everyone especially other healthcare proffessionals impropves themselves to bring sometin new to the table, then all dis power tusle will b a thing of the past.

I really don't know y u had to quote me

1 Like

Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by deletrue: 8:20pm On Jul 18, 2014
[quote author=Dontintin][/quote]Would you shut that your stinky mouth. You bloody riff raffs. Who do you think you are? Exalted position indeed. Tell us why you think you are an inch better than any other Nigerian? You are probably running a private hospital with drugs , equiments etc you stole from the government hospitals. Meaning, you are also a bloody thief. Nonsense you are.
Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by armadeo(m): 8:42pm On Jul 18, 2014
greatbygrace:

I never mentioned in my post that all doctors are arrogant, the fact is that many doc. I know are intelligent and humble but from what I can see from this forum many are arrogant and I don't disagree with the fact that some/many JOHESU members have low self esteem.
All I'm saying is that if everyone puts the interest of the patient at heart things will be better.
There is nothing wrong if a Doctor corrects a pharm. Or a pharm. Corrects a doc. Or if a physio advises to on patient treatment, or a nurse suggesting sometin. If its for the patient's best interest
If each and everyone speaks to each other politely and everyone especially other healthcare proffessionals impropves themselves to bring sometin new to the table, then all dis power tusle will b a thing of the past.

I really don't know y u had to quote me

I quoted you based on a point you made which I tried to expantiate on. Simple.
Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by iiiyyyk(m): 8:54pm On Jul 18, 2014
dakotchic:

Not true dear! The CMD sure is managerial but has lots of clinical bias. There is a director of Administration who works directly almost at par with the CMD and they are both answerable to the Chairman of board. Please Google is our friend. You can only say there may be no need for the CMAC position and for that I have no opinion grin

Hahaha, my sister why trying to deceive the public,
Below is the roles of a CMD in nigeria, tell me how clinical it is.

Site Map | Copyright © OAUTHC, Nigeria 2010 - 2014. All rights reserved. For any inquiries email us at: info@oauthc.com Contact Us
From the office of Chief Medica
Director
The Chief Medical Director is the Hospital’s
Chief Executive and in that capacity has
responsibility for the day-to-day management
of the entire hospital under the broad
direction of the Board of Management. The
Chief Medical Director in addition direct
responsibility for key Departments like
Accounts and Finance, Internal Audit,
Information and Communication
Technology Unit (ICT), SERVICOM, Public
Relations, Engineering, Planning, Security
Services. Stores & Supplies, Staff development,
as well as relationship with external bodies.
The statutory role of the Chief Medical
Director is that of an over-all coordinator of
the entire functions of the hospital. Each
Director may be ascribed specific
responsibility for a group of activities, The
Chief Medical Director has global responsibility
even for the functions assigned to the various
directors.

The only reason Nigerian physicians are killing them selves of this position is the corrupt benefits and contract/financial scams associated with office of CMD.
HAHAHA we know the truth.

1 Like

Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by deletrue: 9:52pm On Jul 18, 2014
Chartey: Remind me again. Why did you leave Nigeria? Because you have experienced some amount of comfort in your travels doesn't mean you should forget how difficult and different things at home are. How many strikes overall happen in the UK?
Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by Andom: 10:49pm On Jul 18, 2014

The bitter side of the truth coming from an insider I praise ur courage . God bless Nigeria!

1 Like

Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by ziga: 11:56pm On Jul 18, 2014

Remind me again. Why did you leave Nigeria?

Medicine is noble in the US and the UK because of how much the people and the Governments value human life.

And if you believe so much in the "noble medicine" in Nigeria, why don't you come attend to the dying masses in Nigeria.

If you truly are a Doc who has practiced in Nigeria and is currently in the UK, you will see the rot in our system and you will be saying the exact opposite of what you just posted.
Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by thehomer: 7:07am On Jul 19, 2014
It looks like many people who have commented so far didn't read the OP.

From the OP,

Chukwu who had attended Monday's meeting did not turn up for today's session and did not send any representative, a situation which angered the lawmakers.

The health minister himself was present at Monday's meeting but why was Monday's meeting rescheduled?

He said the committee after holding a partial meeting with stakeholders on Monday decided to reschedule it as finance minister Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala; Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Anyim Pius Anyim; Head of Service, Alhaji Bukar Goni Aji and Director-General of the Budget Office, Bright Okogu were all absent and did not send any representative.

Why were these people initially absent? Why aren't they being threatened with being arrested?

Or is it open season to dump on doctors? Keep in mind the fact that many of these reps don't get their treatment in Nigeria.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Any Cure For Stammering? / Oyo Confirms 31 New COVID-19 Cases / Staphylococcus Aureus/infections : My Experience About It .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.