Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,669 members, 7,955,438 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 05:45 AM

Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. (14156 Views)

Doctors’ Strike Paralyses Ekiti Teaching Hospital / First Nigerian Ebola Survivor Not Treated With "Nano Silver" - Health Minister / Doctors’ Strike Cripples Hospitals Nationwide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by Caleboha(m): 9:18am On Jul 18, 2014
why will lives be lost during the strike when we have competent nurses, pharmacists, physiotherapists and cleaners manning the hospitals? doctors are not indispensible. sooner or later, everyone will realise the single member of a health team totally commited to a patient's survival.

6 Likes

Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by eejo(m): 9:18am On Jul 18, 2014
DanNafada: My little contribution as a doctor who has worked in a teaching hospital in Naija and now working in the NHS:

1. It is an absolute shame for any doctor to go on total strike, for whatever reason. There is just no justification for causing so much suffering and death in a profession that is considered to be as noble as Medicine.
2. The Chief Executive of every major health organization or hospital in most of the West is NOT a doctor. In the NHS for example, there is a Medical Director and others below him who are doctors but the head honcho is the Chief Executive, who is usually not a doctor.
3. There are Nurse Consultants in the NHS but they are mainly based in tertiary academic units and hardly involved in daily clinical care.
4. The first and only time I remember the BMA agreeing to a Doctor's strike in England, emergency and other essential services were not affected. Hardly anybody noticed there was a strike going on and most of this was because doctors voluntarily decided it would have been unethical, even if the reason for considering the strike was justified.

Nigerians have enough on their hands as it is. That a group of very educated and essential professionals cannot see why it is necessary to get back to work simply for the sake of the common man is extremely sad.

for telling the truth GOD WILL BLESS YOU

6 Likes

Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by Sibrah: 9:35am On Jul 18, 2014
Impishment Nko?
Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by dontalk: 9:45am On Jul 18, 2014
DanNafada: My little contribution as a doctor who has worked in a teaching hospital in Naija and now working in the NHS:

1. It is an absolute shame for any doctor to go on total strike, for whatever reason. There is just no justification for causing so much suffering and death in a profession that is considered to be as noble as Medicine.
2. The Chief Executive of every major health organization or hospital in most of the West is NOT a doctor. In the NHS for example, there is a Medical Director and others below him who are doctors but the head honcho is the Chief Executive, who is usually not a doctor.
3. There are Nurse Consultants in the NHS but they are mainly based in tertiary academic units and hardly involved in daily clinical care.
4. The first and only time I remember the BMA agreeing to a Doctor's strike in England, emergency and other essential services were not affected. Hardly anybody noticed there was a strike going on and most of this was because doctors voluntarily decided it would have been unethical, even if the reason for considering the strike was justified.

Nigerians have enough on their hands as it is. That a group of very educated and essential professionals cannot see why it is necessary to get back to work simply for the sake of the common man is extremely sad.

Truth is bitter. Thank you for this, and shame to the hypocrites.

5 Likes

Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by adanny01(m): 9:53am On Jul 18, 2014
Caleboha: why will lives be lost during the strike when we have competent nurses, pharmacists, physiotherapists and cleaners manning the hospitals? doctors are not indispensible. sooner or later, everyone will realise the single member of a health team totally commited to a patient's survival.

Can a doctor cope without the nurse! No. Nurses are also indispensible.

There is a grave difference between the various health workers responsibility with most of the vital ones on the hands of the doctor. Let the doctor say he doesnt need them and lets see how he copes. Their profession is a noble one, they are not be seen as egoistic and only working for personal gains. Before anyone goes into medicine, one must have been driven by the desire to help humans in their health challenge. All this strikes have shown how every good thing from that profession is lost.

Meanwhile, as the strike goes on they are all working in their private hospitals right now making alot of money.
Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by deadie(m): 9:53am On Jul 18, 2014
DanNafada::
My little contribution as a doctor who has worked in a teaching hospital in Naija and now working in the NHS:

You said it all. The mentality of the doctors in Nigeria is very different. I work in a hospital in Germany and the hospital director is not a physician. Yet the NMA will rather see patients die than have the position open to all qualified persons? Their ego is out of this world.

10 Likes

Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by biomedixexcel(m): 9:59am On Jul 18, 2014
He's working for the doctors....
Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by aluunoble: 10:07am On Jul 18, 2014
[quote author=Sibrah]Impishment Nko? My dear he can't be impeached coz he's an appointee and not an elected govt functionary. However he can only be removed from office if found wanting.
Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by symbianDON(m): 10:13am On Jul 18, 2014

wish i could give you a prize for this!

3 Likes

Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by Nobody: 10:18am On Jul 18, 2014

its a faceless forum..... thus u can b a doc ofcourse

11 Likes

Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by codeworks(m): 10:21am On Jul 18, 2014
Did reps issued arrest warrant when Universities were on strike. mypic people
Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by YoungDaNaval(m): 10:23am On Jul 18, 2014
Abeg make una wait till ma water full then ah go comment on this matter!

1 Like

Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by live4ever: 10:25am On Jul 18, 2014
sexyexcalibur:

Pls let's focus on the issues raised not on the personality. Feel free to contribute not attack.

2 Likes

Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by Boluzie(m): 10:30am On Jul 18, 2014
phaantom: yeah......nairalands anti spam bot
Long tym bro!!!
Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by Dontintin: 10:36am On Jul 18, 2014
[quote author=symbianDON]
While everyone simply finds it easy to emotionally blame the doctor when he or she goes on strike. Non complains when other health workers go on strike. Well I see it as a reflection of the onerous task we have decided to take on because in actual fact, WE ARE THE ONLY ONES RESPONSIBLE FOR THE PATIENTS LIFE.
But we are in a country where nothing reasonable works. Before December last year, can anyone tell me when last Nma (not ard) organized a strike. It is because we have always felt the need not to go to strike that is why we have this current problem.
We have always been patient first, patient first, but johesu has capitalized on that going on strike to advance their cause while we continue to say patient first, patient first. What was the salary structure like in the past. We are so quick to forget the good old past and think only of the now.
We are pushed to the wall. Very soon, we will have all health workers getting the better renumeration for practically doing nothing. What I mean by doing nothing is doing a diploma course and not following up on it. Nobody complains when a lab scientist does a phd and is referred to as a doctor. We respect other health workers and try to leave harmoniously, it does not mean we have to turn from being the best paid of all the health workers to the worst paid because some idiots in government are not educated enough to know what is proper.
Concerning the cmd issue, I have no problem with a different person from a doctor being the cmd, yes it may give for a broader perception of all things. But really when u look at the structure of the hospital, who apart from a doctor is better positioned to be cmd. Is it a nurse who is trained only to care for the patient and and carries out instructions on care management of the patient, or the lab scientist who is ordered to do a test and can only has his results interpreted well for the managing consultant by the pathologist who happens to be a doctor, or is it the physiotherapist that will only come in as long term help when acute conditions have been managed by the doctor. All these people are important for good health care service but in all are connected by the doctor.
If it is someone else who is not in the health field at all but is a licensed administrator, he can head, but in all decisions of patient care will eventually still remain with the doctor.
That is why it is only doctors that are held responsible for their actions when things go wrong with patient care. None will say the urse went for a stroll when the patient desaturated. None will query what the lab scientist did when it was definitely a wrong result (probably not checked by the pathologist) that misled the doctor. Or the physiotherapist that failed to advice a patient to see the doctor while he gets worse and worse. None.
So please, let me be if i decide to protect my exalted position which I have worked so hard to acheive, not do a diploma course of 3 mths to 3 years.

7 Likes

Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by ugees(m): 10:52am On Jul 18, 2014
publicenemy: stup*d doctors and their arrogance

How are they arrogant exactly? do you have a relative who is a doctor? if you did you will not display this level of naivete...

2 Likes

Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by Oduduwaboy(m): 11:01am On Jul 18, 2014

Thanks for this noble contribution .
I have some reservations against your submission .
1. Concerning your first point ....Doctor in the UK will not contemplate a total strike because the UK is a sane society where officials are responsible for their actions & inactions. Nigeria as you know is a Social jungle . Please also note that there has been doctors' strikes in other countries eg. Israel, Pakistan, France . There is no shame in asking for your rights when the antagonist is asking for your head on a platter. We are aware there are ethical dilemmas on whether doctors should engage in strikes or not but in a place like Nigeria , there are no other choices.
2. The CEO in the NHS hospitals are not the MDs but in the United States they have the MD/CEO paradigm ...so it is arguable which one Nigeria should follow !
3. What are the modalities of appointing consultant Nurses/ Physotherapist/ pharmacists etc . Am sure you know there is a central body in the UK that regulates their appointments and of course they know their boundaries . In Nigeria , based on history those earlier appointed at UCH saw an opportunity to antagonise doctors' management plans etc...
4. there others . i will come back.

6 Likes

Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by publicenemy(m): 11:01am On Jul 18, 2014
ugees:

How are they arrogant exactly? do you have a relative who is a doctor? if you did you will not display this level of naivete...

Because you do have a relative who is doctor you would turn a blind eye to these indiscriminate strike,putting the lives they swore to protect at risks,right?

1 Like

Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by Sibrah: 11:07am On Jul 18, 2014
aluunoble: My dear he can't be impeached coz he's an appointee and not an elected govt functionary. However he can only be removed from office if found wanting.
Impishment is the latest from Aso Rock.
Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by dakotchic(f): 11:10am On Jul 18, 2014

Yes you are right and have only repeated what doctors have been saying. The CEO, AKA chairman of board AKA policy maker of the hospital must not be doctor and that already happens. You further corroborated that the medical director AKA CMD must be a doctor, that's what we are also saying. We have also researched and found that nurse and pharmacy consultants exist but not in clinical/hospital settings. Thanks for buttressing our points! Finally I agree strike shouldn't be a first or middle resort but a last resort and that's why NMA at its wit's end, has resorted to strike. I think it's justifiable and recently in 2012 doctors in scotland went on strike too.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by volihove: 11:22am On Jul 18, 2014
Oduduwaboy:
Thanks for this noble contribution .
I have some reservations against your submission .
1. Concerning your first point ....Doctor in the UK will not contemplate a total strike because the UK is a sane society where officials are responsible for their actions & inactions. Nigeria as you know is a Social jungle . Please also note that there has been doctors' strikes in other countries eg. Israel, Pakistan, France . There is no shame in asking for your rights when the antagonist is asking for your head on a platter. We are aware there are ethical dilemmas on whether doctors should engage in strikes or not but in a place like Nigeria , there are no other choices.
2. The CEO in the NHS hospitals are not the MDs but in the United States they have the MD/CEO paradigm ...so it is arguable which one Nigeria should follow !
3. What are the modalities of appointing consultant Nurses/ Physotherapist/ pharmacists etc . Am sure you know there is a central body in the UK that regulates their appointments and of course they know their boundaries . In Nigeria , based on history those earlier appointed at UCH saw an opportunity to antagonise doctors' management plans etc...
4. there others . i will come back.

Nigeria a jungle u say! So life of nigerian is worstless?

Trust me all this doc on strike will work for a long time to pay every family that lost some one wen they went on strike,

The court is such a beautiful place
Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by Oduduwaboy(m): 11:27am On Jul 18, 2014
dakotchic:

Yes you are right and have only repeated what doctors have been saying. The CEO, AKA chairman of board AKA policy maker of the hospital must not be doctor and that already happens. You further corroborated that the medical director AKA CMD must be a doctor, that's what we are also saying. We have also researched and found that nurse and pharmacy consultants exist but not in clinical/hospital settings. Thanks for buttressing our points! Finally I agree strike shouldn't be a first or middle resort but a last resort and that's why NMA at its wit's end, has resorted to strike. I think it's justifiable and recently in 2012 doctors in scotland went on strike too.
Wow...love this contribution. So, on point.

Also , you can see the so-called government and its officials handling the strike with utmost levity . It was also agents of the weak government we have that even registered a 'terrorist', hydra-headed , and amorphous union like JOHESU which was solely formed to destabilize the health-sector by people who have vowed to eternally oppose all that doctors stand for. It is worthy of note that no such association / union exist in any other civilised country .

So, in the context in which the doctors have found themselves , the NMA is justified in calling its members on an all-out strike-action .

2 Likes

Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by armadeo(m): 11:32am On Jul 18, 2014
volihove:

Trust me all this doc on strike will work for a long time to pay every family that lost some one wen they went on strike,

I sincerely hope you are not a lawyer.
Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by Oduduwaboy(m): 11:32am On Jul 18, 2014
volihove:

hmmm...you didn't know that Nigeria is a SOCIAL JUNGLE ? In which sane country will doctors be on a total strike and it is not seen as a national emergency ? In which Civilised economy do cities have less than 5 hours of electricity ? in which society does a convict become a state governor? Its clear you are not Nigerian or you don't live in Nigeria !!!

4 Likes

Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by chucs: 11:46am On Jul 18, 2014

May God bless you and your household for saying the truth....TRUTH the say is always bitter but it must be told. Thank you sir!!
Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by idu1(m): 11:47am On Jul 18, 2014
decode55: ^^^ frivolous? undecided all these cleaners sef undecided
let d cleaners go on strike and see how important they are. I quess doctors can clean the hospital too because they are taught everything about health sotey dem no need others. Loooool
Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by kerrymaranto: 12:01pm On Jul 18, 2014
Google pay 97$ per hour my last pay check was $8500 working 1o hours a week online. My younger brother friend has been averaging 12k for months now and he works about 22 hours a week. I cant believe how easy it was once I tried it out. This is wha­ I do

Check Freely..... www.MoneyKin.Com
Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by meipsum1: 12:29pm On Jul 18, 2014
dakotchic:

Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by sisiafrika(f): 12:39pm On Jul 18, 2014
sexyexcalibur:

you should be ashamed of yourself if this is the best counter opinion you could tender.
Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by sisiafrika(f): 12:43pm On Jul 18, 2014
live4ever:

Pls let's focus on the issues raised not on the personality. Feel free to contribute not attack.
wat do u expect from a b!tch like her.
Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by sisiafrika(f): 12:50pm On Jul 18, 2014
idu1: let d cleaners go on strike and see how important they are. I quess doctors can clean the hospital too because they are taught everything about health sotey dem no need others. Loooool
yes, dey did it. CLN501, PRINCIPLES OF CLEANING AND HOSPITAL HYGIENE.12 units course for that matter. Heard they did TAILORING TOO they sow bed sheet and mend scrubs. Driving management was also a course they did. see how indispensable they are! Yippe!

2 Likes

Re: Doctors Strike......reps Threaten Warrant Of Arrest Against Health Minister. by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jul 18, 2014
dakotchic:

I respect your position in some ways but you really do not have to go on a TOTAL strike to get things done. You only lose respect the more.
Why not simply decide to cancel clinics and other non-essential services? Why do you have to stop emergency services knowing quite well that people will die DAILY as a consequence? I am sorry, you cannot defend that.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Villages Are Suffering, Government Not Doing Enough — WIN Foundation / COVID-19 Update For December 12 2020 In Nigeria / My Nephew Has Autism, How Do We Manage It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.