Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,200 members, 7,829,288 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:20 AM

Please Help! How Can A Non-resident Cash An International Bank Draft? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Please Help! How Can A Non-resident Cash An International Bank Draft? (1216 Views)

Cheapest International Bank Transfer Fees / Need To Open A US Bank Account As A Non Resident / Can One Deposit Bank Draft Of One Bank Into A Savings Account Of Another Bank? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Please Help! How Can A Non-resident Cash An International Bank Draft? by dominics: 8:25pm On Oct 10, 2008
I have a friend who is from the UK.  He was issued an bank draft issued from a Nigerian bank for subcontract work he completed in Lagos.  He wants to return to the UK, but was told by customs agents that he could not leave without paying a 1% tax on the total draft amount.  This is a substantial amount which he does not have.  He was told an option was to open non resident bank account for $1000 US!   Then he could deposit the draft, wait for it to clear, then his only option would be to have the money wired to a beneficiarys account outside the country.  This, he was told would cost 1.5% of the total draft amount!  We are talking thousands of dollars.   Additionally, he was told he would not be able to access these funds himself.

Has anyone had any experience with international bank drafts and trying to cash them?  Or has anyone encountered the tax problem and how did you resolve it.

Is there a bank I could recommend to him that might work with him on this problem.  This is urgent and if anyone can assist with a solution, I'd be so grafteful!  cry
Re: Please Help! How Can A Non-resident Cash An International Bank Draft? by harwarl(m): 10:52pm On Jan 26, 2016
i have a bank draft too , but i dont know which bank i can deposit it in in Nigeria and am only 17

(1) (Reply)

Undergraduates Steal 2bn From Union Bank. / Do You Have A Verified Moneybookers Account? / Turkey Production

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.