Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,219 members, 7,818,755 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:32 AM

Germany Captain Philipp Lahm Retires From International Football (shocking) - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Germany Captain Philipp Lahm Retires From International Football (shocking) (899 Views)

Emmanuel Emenike Retires From The National Team / Vincent Enyeama Considering his Retirement from International football / Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Germany Captain Philipp Lahm Retires From International Football (shocking) by jnrbayano(m): 10:43am On Jul 18, 2014
Bayern Munich star Philipp Lahm has revealed his shock decision to retire from international football in the wake of Germany's World Cup success.

The 30-year-old captained his nation as they overcame Argentina 1-0 in the final, making seven appearances to help them to their first major trophy since Euro 1996.

Lahm will not play a role in Germany's hunt for more silverware, however, having told head coach Joachim Low that he's no longer available for the national team.

"I told Jogi Low about my decision to retire from international football on Monday," Lahm told Sport Bild.

"I'd been thinking about it over the course of last season. I am delighted that things all came together with this World Cup win.

"I gave DFB president Wolfgang Niersbach a call this morning and thanked him and everybody else at the DFB for the last few years."

Lahm, who has captained Germany since permanently replacing Michael Ballack in 2011, made his official Germany debut in the 2-1 win over Croatia in February 2004 and had since developed into one of Germany's undisputed star players.

The right-back has made 113 appearances for the freshly crowned world champions and sits fourth in the all-time rankings behind Lothar Matthaus (150 caps), Miroslav Klose (137) and Lukas Podolski (116).

Lahm featured at the European Championships of 2004, 2008 and 2012, as well as at the 2006, 2010 and 2014 World Cups.

Source: www.goal.com
Re: Germany Captain Philipp Lahm Retires From International Football (shocking) by jnrbayano(m): 10:44am On Jul 18, 2014
Respect!
Re: Germany Captain Philipp Lahm Retires From International Football (shocking) by Tolexander: 10:50am On Jul 18, 2014
Nice time to retire. Not like that of Zizou.
Re: Germany Captain Philipp Lahm Retires From International Football (shocking) by jnrbayano(m): 7:18am On Jul 19, 2014
Tolexander: Nice time to retire. Not like that of Zizou.

Retired when the ovation was loudest.

Good thinking and now he will concentrate on his club career.
Re: Germany Captain Philipp Lahm Retires From International Football (shocking) by woky: 2:40pm On Jul 24, 2014
I tot he would never be thesame when he returned from that pathetic injury he had in 2005 or so, but the Magic dwarf proved me wrong..

He's a utility player like Mathias Sammer..

Respect!!
Re: Germany Captain Philipp Lahm Retires From International Football (shocking) by jnrbayano(m): 6:28pm On Jul 24, 2014
woky: I tot he would never be thesame when he returned from that pathetic injury he had in 2005 or so, but the Magic dwarf proved me wrong..

He's a utility player like Mathias Sammer..

Respect!!

Mattias Sammer! Chai!! cool
Re: Germany Captain Philipp Lahm Retires From International Football (shocking) by tuffgongjo(m): 12:57pm On Jul 25, 2014
It is always good to bow out when d ovation is loudest,to avoid disgrace or been forced out.
That is why Hidetochi Nakata is still revered in Japan.
Re: Germany Captain Philipp Lahm Retires From International Football (shocking) by jnrbayano(m): 1:37pm On Jul 25, 2014
tuffgongjo: It is always good to bow out when d ovation is loudest,to avoid disgrace or been forced out.
That is why Hidetochi Nakata is still revered in Japan.

Hidetoshi Nakata, the all time best Asian player in my books. I think he is slightly better than Mark Viduka and Harry Kewel of Australia, Mehdi Mahdavikia and Ali Karimi of Iran.......

Perfect timing by Lahm to retire.
Re: Germany Captain Philipp Lahm Retires From International Football (shocking) by tuffgongjo(m): 1:55pm On Jul 25, 2014
jnrbayano:

Hidetoshi Nakata, the all time best Asian player in my books. I think he is slightly better than Mark Viduka and Harry Kewel of Australia, Mehdi Mahdavikia and Ali Karimi of Iran.......

Perfect timing by Lahm to retire.
mine is Timothy "tim"Cahill,for his consistency$long service.
Re: Germany Captain Philipp Lahm Retires From International Football (shocking) by jnrbayano(m): 2:08pm On Jul 25, 2014
tuffgongjo: mine is Timothy "tim"Cahill,for his consistency$long service.

Do you remember Mark Viduka and Harry Kewel Tim's compatroits well?
Re: Germany Captain Philipp Lahm Retires From International Football (shocking) by tuffgongjo(m): 2:17pm On Jul 25, 2014
jnrbayano:

Do you remember Mark Viduka and Harry Kewel Tim's compatroits well?
viduka from scotland (me think rangers )to england(boro$newcastle$harry (leeds$liverpool) both are very good,harry was d most talented aussie I have ever known,but he was very unlucky with injuries.
Re: Germany Captain Philipp Lahm Retires From International Football (shocking) by jnrbayano(m): 2:20pm On Jul 25, 2014
tuffgongjo: viduka from scotland (me think rangers )to england(boro$newcastle$harry (leeds$liverpool) both are very good,harry was d most talented aussie I have ever known,but he was very unlucky with injuries.

You know them.
Re: Germany Captain Philipp Lahm Retires From International Football (shocking) by tuffgongjo(m): 2:31pm On Jul 25, 2014
jnrbayano:

You know them.
I always laugh anytime I see viduka big$powerful but to me he looks somehow awkward @ times.

(1) (Reply)

Germany Damage World Cup Trophy / Manchester United - Real Madrid Smashes Attendance Record In USA / FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup Q/Final Match: Nigeria 4-1 New Zealand (FULL-TIME)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.