Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,303 members, 7,819,026 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:14 AM

╚►►►►► Discover Los Angeles! ~ Photos presented by blackspade ◄◄◄◄◄╝ - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / ╚►►►►► Discover Los Angeles! ~ Photos presented by blackspade ◄◄◄◄◄╝ (37215 Views)

Poll: How do you rate Los Angeles from these photos?

10 (Excellent): 36% (12 votes)
9: 21% (7 votes)
8: 15% (5 votes)
7: 12% (4 votes)
6 (It's okay, but not great): 6% (2 votes)
5: 0% (0 votes)
4: 3% (1 vote)
>3 (Uninspiring): 6% (2 votes)
This poll has ended

Calling On Nairaland Americans :) Pls I Need Cheap Way Of Getting To Los Angeles / Discover The Magic Of East Africa. / Nigerians In Los Angeles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

╚►►►►► Discover Los Angeles! ~ Photos presented by blackspade ◄◄◄◄◄╝ by blackspade(m): 1:07am On Oct 11, 2008
[center][size=15pt]Nairalanders, I present to you the city I've been residing in for almost 4 years now[/size]
[/center]

Los Angeles has over 4,000,000 inhabitants, and is sprawled out in over 450 square miles.  Los Angeles is also extremely diverse, with nearly all ethnic groups  being well represented, and over 225 languages spoken here. Going by race, Los Angeles is approximately 42% Hispanic, 28% White, 12% Black, 10% Asian, 08% Other. The city is one of the world's centers of culture, technology, media, business, and international trade.

It is home to renowned institutions covering a broad range of professional and cultural fields, and is one of the most substantial economic engines within the United States. Los Angeles leads the world in producing popular entertainment — such as motion picture, television, and recorded music — which forms the base of its international fame and global status. The city also boasts some of the finest institutions in the world, including: University of Southern California, University of California - Los Angeles, California State University Northridge, Loyola Marymount Univeristy,  and many others. 

Weather-Wise, Los Angeles has a Mediterranean climate or Dry-Summer subtropical zone (Köppen climate classification Csb on the coast, Csa inland). Los Angeles receives plenty of sunshine, with 325 sunny days and only 27 rainy days on average every year. The summers are pretty mild in LA, but outside of the city it can get HOT!

The area has lots of vegetation in many parts, and in other parts it can get kind of "grey" if you know what I mean. The city is well-known for its Beach culture, which is fine because many Beaches here are fun to visit, but as a resident I can tell you many Beached here can be dirty especially after it rains. but any other time they're great.

As far as the Black population here in Los Angeles, we're pretty well represented with most Blacks living in the LA Basin area. The areas that have the largest Black populations are Mid-City, Southwest Los Angeles, South Los Angeles, Southeast Los Angeles, Watts, Harbor City, and the Wilshire District. Outside of the city limits, there are far more Blacks scattered out in immediate areas, and other outer suburbs including: Inglewood, Compton, Carson, Long Beach, Pasadena, Altadena, Lancaster, Palmdale, Moreno Valley, San Bernardino, Rialto, Riverside, and many more.

The African population here is rapidly growing, with Ethiopians making up the largest segment. The Ethiopians are so numerous here, they even have a district named after them in the Westisde region called "Little Ethiopia". Even though Ethiopians make up a large segment of African here, Nigerians, Congolese, Sudanese, and Ghanaians are considered the fastest growing segments of the African population. Most Africans can be found in traditionally African-American communities, and others can be found sprinkled around in the valley, and other various parts of the city.

If any Nigerians are thinking of moving to this wonderful city, temporarily or permanently, don't hesitate to ask questions concerning anything about this city, or where you wish to stay. Now, lets get to some pictures! cheesy
Re: ╚►►►►► Discover Los Angeles! ~ Photos presented by blackspade ◄◄◄◄◄╝ by blackspade(m): 1:18am On Oct 11, 2008
[center]Lovely Skyline Shot

Santa Monica Beach. It's a great Beach, and recommend for anyone who wants to have a great time on a sunny day! cool

View from the ritzy Palos Verdes Peninsula area.

Venice Beach, and newly renovated buildings overlooking this beach. This is another great Beach for people looking for a good time.

View of the Hollywood sign from the Los Feliz district.

[/center]
Re: ╚►►►►► Discover Los Angeles! ~ Photos presented by blackspade ◄◄◄◄◄╝ by blackspade(m): 1:22am On Oct 11, 2008
[center]Lovely Los Angeles vegetation in the Santa Monica Mountains State Park (In the city limits)

View of the Downtown Skyline from the Pico District

Northern View of the Glendora Hills from Hollywood (Notice the studios)

The Los Angeles Skyline from the 1st Street Bridge coming from East LA

Lovely Skyline Shot taken from the Hollywood Hills

[/center]
Re: ╚►►►►► Discover Los Angeles! ~ Photos presented by blackspade ◄◄◄◄◄╝ by blackspade(m): 1:27am On Oct 11, 2008
[center]Skyline Shot on a rare gloomy day in LA

Picture taken from a rooftop in Hollywod, on Hollywood Boulevard.

Nighttime Skyline shot taken from rooftop in the Old Bank district of Downtown

The Ever so Ionic Hollywood Sign cool

The vast Urban imprint of this amazing city called Los Angeles
[/center]
Re: ╚►►►►► Discover Los Angeles! ~ Photos presented by blackspade ◄◄◄◄◄╝ by blackspade(m): 1:37am On Oct 11, 2008
[center]Skyline at Night taken in South Los Angeles

The Harbor area, in the district of San Pedro. This are is very nice, with many great seaside restaurants.

View of Santa Monica, and the Venice districts from an airplane

Picture taken in Downtown Los Angeles looking Westerly towards the Pacific Ocean

This is Dockweiler Beach, in the Marina Del Rey district. It's a nice, and more quiet beach in the city, but it can get rowdy on the weekends. grin
[/center]
Re: ╚►►►►► Discover Los Angeles! ~ Photos presented by blackspade ◄◄◄◄◄╝ by blackspade(m): 1:48am On Oct 11, 2008
[center]Pic of the Century City, Westwood, and Palms districts from an Airplane

Santa Monica Beach, turning into Will Rogers Beach, nearing another ritzy part of the city! wink

Skyline pic looking north towards Pasadena

The ionic Hollywood Sign

Looking towards the Century City district from the Getty Museum. (If you like art, and all its works, I recommend this museum)
[/center]
Re: ╚►►►►► Discover Los Angeles! ~ Photos presented by blackspade ◄◄◄◄◄╝ by blackspade(m): 1:52am On Oct 11, 2008
[center]View from the Hollywood Hills

Picture from the theater District in Downtown (It's been re-done as of now, and many of the Mexican shops are gone wink)

People crossing the Street in the Theater district

Streetscene in Hollywood, near the monumental Chinese Theater

Cars driving out of Downtown, heading West towards the Beach cities
[/center]

1 Like

Re: ╚►►►►► Discover Los Angeles! ~ Photos presented by blackspade ◄◄◄◄◄╝ by blackspade(m): 1:56am On Oct 11, 2008
[center]Vehicles rolling down 3rd Street in Santa Monica

Third Street Shopping District in Santa Monica, with shoppers shopping grin

Beach Houses in Santa Monica, overlooking the Ocean

Santa Monica Beach, with Pacific Amusement Park in the background

The main branch of the Los Angeles Public Library
[/center]
Re: ╚►►►►► Discover Los Angeles! ~ Photos presented by blackspade ◄◄◄◄◄╝ by blackspade(m): 2:04am On Oct 11, 2008
[center]The Walt Disney Concert Hall

Tons of Upper Class Apartment Buildings in the Fairfax District

Entering Downtown from East LA

The Pike in Long Beach (Another great area that's extremely diverse)

Los Angeles Skyline from the 405, in the Sepulveda Pass
[/center]
Re: ╚►►►►► Discover Los Angeles! ~ Photos presented by blackspade ◄◄◄◄◄╝ by blackspade(m): 7:46am On Oct 11, 2008
[center]Strip Mall in the Encino District

Construction going on in Downtown

Street Scene on Hollywood Boulevard

In the Subway Station at Hollywood/Highland

Staples Center Arena, home court of Kobe Bryant, and the Los Angeles Lakers Basketball team!
[/center]
Re: ╚►►►►► Discover Los Angeles! ~ Photos presented by blackspade ◄◄◄◄◄╝ by blackspade(m): 7:53am On Oct 11, 2008
[center]Bunker Hill are of Downtown

Night Skyline from East Los Angeles (I live this pic!)

More Apartments near Downtown

Cosmopolitan Los Angeles cheesy

The Walk of Fame in front of the Kodak Theater
[/center]
Re: ╚►►►►► Discover Los Angeles! ~ Photos presented by blackspade ◄◄◄◄◄╝ by oyewolejos(m): 10:57am On Oct 11, 2008
nice topic man.it is very educative and narrative. One can know much about city you have never visited before. i would like to visit there one day in the nearset future.i will want to have your personal contact because i will want to have a private discussion with you about LA.MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS oyewolejose@yahoo.com hope to hear from you.
Re: ╚►►►►► Discover Los Angeles! ~ Photos presented by blackspade ◄◄◄◄◄╝ by blackspade(m): 10:34pm On Oct 11, 2008
oyewolejos:

nice topic man.it is very educative and narrative. One can know much about city you have never visited before. i would like to visit there one day in the nearset future.i will want to have your personal contact because i will want to have a private discussion with you about LA.MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS oyewolejose@yahoo.com hope to hear from you.
Thank you, I'm glad you're enjoying the thread. I will contact you soon, and give you some more information about the city. wink
Re: ╚►►►►► Discover Los Angeles! ~ Photos presented by blackspade ◄◄◄◄◄╝ by blackspade(m): 10:38pm On Oct 11, 2008
[center]Walking down Fifth Street in Downtown (Notice the historic Art-Deco Architecture)

Looking down Eight Street in Downtown's Bank District

Historic Building in the Banking District of Downtown

On Fifth Street, near the Macy's Plaza Shopping Center

Looking Down 9th Street in the Jewelry District of Downtown
[/center]
Re: ╚►►►►► Discover Los Angeles! ~ Photos presented by blackspade ◄◄◄◄◄╝ by blackspade(m): 10:46pm On Oct 11, 2008
[center]In the Jewelry District of Downtown

Historic buildings in the Banking District of Downtown

On Eighth Street in the Historic District

Looking on Fifth Street, near the U.S. Bank Tower

Looking Down Eighth Street near the Library
[/center]
Re: ╚►►►►► Discover Los Angeles! ~ Photos presented by blackspade ◄◄◄◄◄╝ by blackspade(m): 10:51pm On Oct 11, 2008
[center]New Apartments being constructed in the Marina Del Rey District

View of some Apartments in the new Playa Vista development near Loyola Marymount University

In Hollywood Traffic, on Hollywood Boulveard

More Hollywood Traffic

Winston Street in Downtown's Toy District
[/center]
Re: ╚►►►►► Discover Los Angeles! ~ Photos presented by blackspade ◄◄◄◄◄╝ by blackspade(m): 10:57pm On Oct 11, 2008
[center]Pic taken from Loyola Marymount University looking towards the Santa Monica Mountains

The Blue Line trains of the Metro, looking towards the Downtown Skyline

The Playa Vista development, looking towards the Marina Del Rey Skyline

More pics of the Playa Vista development Under Construction (Nice Homes)

The Blue Line train heading towards Downtown
[/center]
Re: ╚►►►►► Discover Los Angeles! ~ Photos presented by blackspade ◄◄◄◄◄╝ by blackspade(m): 12:08am On Oct 12, 2008
[center]The Skyline of Downtown taken from Pasadena

Driving Down Wilshire in the Century City District

In the Westwood District on Wilshire

More Westwood District, in traffic

In the Lafayette Park District, nearing Downtown
[/center]
Re: ╚►►►►► Discover Los Angeles! ~ Photos presented by blackspade ◄◄◄◄◄╝ by blackspade(m): 12:21am On Oct 12, 2008
[center]Looking Down Fifth Street in Downtown

View of the Cenury City Skyline

Driving Down on Wilshire viewing the Westwood/Brentwood Skyline

Buildings in Century City

Wilshire Boulevard, in the Westwood District

[/center]
Re: ╚►►►►► Discover Los Angeles! ~ Photos presented by blackspade ◄◄◄◄◄╝ by EloSela(f): 5:11am On Oct 13, 2008
I was in LA yesterday. Beautiful city! It was my third time there and I have now decided that it is my favourite city in the US. The magic in the city is simply irresistible! Till next time LA! grin grin grin grin
Re: ╚►►►►► Discover Los Angeles! ~ Photos presented by blackspade ◄◄◄◄◄╝ by SeanT21(f): 5:25am On Oct 13, 2008
EloSela:

I was in LA yesterday. Beautiful city! It was my third time there and I have now decided that it is my favourite city in the US. The magic in the city is simply irresistible! Till next time LA! grin grin grin grin

Which Area did You visit?
Re: ╚►►►►► Discover Los Angeles! ~ Photos presented by blackspade ◄◄◄◄◄╝ by EloSela(f): 6:15am On Oct 13, 2008
Well this last trip was just a short one. We flew in from New Zealand , stopped over for just two days and stayed at an airport hotel before catching a flight home to London.

We hired a car but only got as far as Beverley Hills, Rodeo Drive to be exact before my friend fell ill and had to be driven back to the hotel. After that I spent the short time there shopping for bargains at TJmaxx, Marshalls and Ross. grin grin grin I am a self confessed shopoholic so don't hold that against me.lol! grin grin grin grin,

On previous trips to LA though, I have been all over LA and it's surrounding areas, my sister used to live in Redondo Beach which was handy. Been to Hollywood, drove all the way up to the hills, saw the beautiful houses in Beverley hills, had light lunch at the Beverley Hills Hotel, Century city, Compton, Church and Soul Food in Crenshaw, Orange County, Glendale,Venice Beach , Disneyland and universal city etc. I have also been to San Diego where we drove into Mexico.

It is always fun in LA. People always seem to be so friendly, helpful, respectful and pleasant in that part of the country and it is hard at times to believe that crime ever takes place over there.
Re: ╚►►►►► Discover Los Angeles! ~ Photos presented by blackspade ◄◄◄◄◄╝ by SeanT21(f): 6:43am On Oct 13, 2008
EloSela:

Well this last trip was just a short one. We flew in from New Zealand , stopped over for just two days and stayed at an airport hotel before catching a flight home to London.

We hired a car but only got as far as Beverley Hills, Rodeo Drive to be exact before my friend fell ill and had to be driven back to the hotel. After that I spent the short time there shopping for bargains at TJmaxx, Marshalls and Ross. grin grin grin I am a self confessed shopoholic so don't hold that against me.lol! grin grin grin grin,

On previous trips to LA though, I have been all over LA and it's surrounding areas, my sister used to live in Redondo Beach which was handy. Been to Hollywood, drove all the way up to the hills, saw the beautiful houses in Beverley hills, had light lunch at the Beverley Hills Hotel, Century city, Compton, Church and Soul Food in Crenshaw, Orange County, Glendale,Venice Beach , Disneyland and universal city etc. I have also been to San Diego where we drove into Mexico.

It is always fun in LA. People always seem to be so friendly, helpful, respectful and pleasant in that part of the country and it is hard at times to believe that crime ever takes place over there.

Thats Good. Its always good to travel and see places. I plan on traveling the US in my 20s. Everywhere from New York to The Grand Canyons.
Re: ╚►►►►► Discover Los Angeles! ~ Photos presented by blackspade ◄◄◄◄◄╝ by blackspade(m): 3:41pm On Oct 14, 2008
EloSela:

I'm glad you liked the city! I love Soul Food too, especially M&M's and Flossies. But on a side note, Crime never takes over L.A. at any time. There is a serious gang problem here, but it's nowhere as near bad as it was in the late 1980s or Early 1990s. Crime here has been on a constant decrease thanks to our outstanding police chief. Los Angeles went from 1,082 murders in 1992 to 382 murders in 2007, and this year we're on track to have an even lower murder rate. wink
Re: ╚►►►►► Discover Los Angeles! ~ Photos presented by blackspade ◄◄◄◄◄╝ by landis(m): 5:28pm On Oct 14, 2008
Crime here has been on a constant decrease thanks to our outstanding police chief. Los Angeles went from 1,082 murders in 1992 to 382 murders in 2007, and this year we're on track to have an even lower murder rate

Good Pictures.

what about those deaths not classified as murder, when Police shoot and kill blacks/hispanics?

grin cheesy grin
Re: ╚►►►►► Discover Los Angeles! ~ Photos presented by blackspade ◄◄◄◄◄╝ by blackspade(m): 8:37pm On Oct 14, 2008
landis:

Good Pictures.

what about those deaths not classified as murder, when Police shoot and kill blacks/hispanics?

grin cheesy grin
All homicides in Los Angeles are counted. The homicides of individuals by police are usually classified as "justified murder", and other times the office gets sentenced, and taken to jail or fired. But, citizens killed by police in Los Angeles rarely happens, and when it does there's outrage! That's a big reason why our police department has came up with new tactic to deal with criminals, such as using non-lethal ammunition such as rubber pellets to stop criminals.
Re: ╚►►►►► Discover Los Angeles! ~ Photos presented by blackspade ◄◄◄◄◄╝ by blackspade(m): 8:43pm On Oct 14, 2008
[center]California Pacific Bank Building in the Banking District of Downtown

Theater undergoing renovation in Downtown

Los Angeles City Hall emerging from the tree-line

Looking towards Downtown from the Chinatown Gold Line Station

The 777 Figueroa Office Building in Downtown
[/center]
Re: ╚►►►►► Discover Los Angeles! ~ Photos presented by blackspade ◄◄◄◄◄╝ by blackspade(m): 8:47pm On Oct 14, 2008
[center]The Emerging Skyline from the I-110 Freeway

The Bonaventura Hotel in Downtown (Really, Really, Really, Nice Hotel!)

Newly built Apartments in the University of Southern California (U.S.C.) Area

Building undergoing Loft conversion in Downtown

The Hotel Figueroa Building adjacent to Staples Center in Downtown
[/center]
Re: ╚►►►►► Discover Los Angeles! ~ Photos presented by blackspade ◄◄◄◄◄╝ by blackspade(m): 8:56pm On Oct 14, 2008
[center]Nigeria Independence Day Parade ~ Los Angeles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ1Qoh52TWo[/center]
Re: ╚►►►►► Discover Los Angeles! ~ Photos presented by blackspade ◄◄◄◄◄╝ by blackspade(m): 9:03pm On Oct 14, 2008
[center]Looking Down Figueroa Street near Staples Center

Walt Disney Concert Hall in Downtown

Second Street in the Bunker Hill area of Downtown

Nice Looking Graffiti in the Artist District in Downtown

Street scene on Seventh Street in the Historic Core area of Downtown
[/center]
Re: ╚►►►►► Discover Los Angeles! ~ Photos presented by blackspade ◄◄◄◄◄╝ by SeanT21(f): 8:58am On Oct 15, 2008
# Blackspade

I will be going to a university in new York when I graduate from Community College. My Mom recommended I look at California, How are the universities over there for someone majoring in Education.
Re: ╚►►►►► Discover Los Angeles! ~ Photos presented by blackspade ◄◄◄◄◄╝ by blackspade(m): 4:50am On Oct 16, 2008
SeanT21:

# Blackspade

I will be going to a university in new York when I graduate from Community College. My Mom recommended I look at California, How are the universities over there for someone majoring in Education.
For one, I highly suggest you look towards California when thinking about higher education. I may sound a bit biased here, but I am sure we have the highest concentration of quality universities in the nation. There are so many great Universities, but the best in my opinion are: California State University - Northridge (C.S.U.N.), University of California - Berkeley U.C.B.), University of California - Los Angeles (U.C.L.A.), University of Southern California (US.C.), Stanford University, University of California - San Francsico (U.C.S.F.), California State University - Chico (C.S.U.C), University of California - Irvine (U.C.I.), and University of California - Davis (U.C.D.).

All these schools have excellent courses that fit your major, and I hope this information helps you narrow your selection down. It'll be nice to have some more Africans here in California! wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Flood Swept Cars In Kano / Update On Anambra International Airport And Airport Road (Photos, Video) / These Children Lost Their Mothers In An Accident Along Ibadan/ijebu... [PICS]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.