Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,702 members, 7,809,667 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:49 PM

I Don't Drink Nor Smoke, Will Return To School Soon - Patoranking Reveals - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / I Don't Drink Nor Smoke, Will Return To School Soon - Patoranking Reveals (3995 Views)

Charlie Boy @ 64, Says I Don’t Smoke, Drink Nor Abuse My Body / I Don't Drink Nor Smoke, Will Return To School Soon - Patoranking Reveals / Surulere! Patoranking Reveals He Used To Be A Bricklayer And Rat Poison Seller (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Don't Drink Nor Smoke, Will Return To School Soon - Patoranking Reveals by omoalajah(m): 10:43am On Jul 19, 2014
Patrick Nnamemeka Okorie better known as Patoranking is one young artiste that has carved a niche for himself among the dancehall artistes
in the Nigerian entertainment industry.
The Ebonyi State indigene, spoke with. Doyin Adeoye in this interview, about growing up in the ghetto, his career and style, among other things.

Foray into music, when did it all begin for you?

Actually, I started as a dancer. I remember back then, I would dance to all genre of music. I started dancing as a child and I developed the passion for reggae as a dancer, so I decided to give reggae music a trial. So I went into music and professionally it has been five years now, and it has been fun.

Why reggae, there must have been other genres of music to fall in love with?

I was opportuned to only listen to reggae songs while I was growing up. I danced to any kind of reggae music, such as galala, which has that reggae and dance hall fusion and that was how it all started for me.

How will you describe your style of
music?

My style of music is Patoranking style, it is that style that only Patoranking understands and could only be done by Patoranking. I try to carve a niche for myself and create a brand that nobody is doing, but just me. They could think of doing it, but they are not doing it. That is my style, I just like to be exceptional.

The track ‘Alubarika’ was received by a lot of people who are not even reggae fans, what inspired it?

‘Alubarika’ is a testimonial song and I think the idea behind it was just to share my testimony through music. I am a God-fearing person and like I said in the beginning of the song, I
came from nothing to something. That was my story. Growing up from the slum wasn’t easy, although it is a
place where you have boundless
talents, but it wasn’t easy coming out from there.
So I am so grateful that everything
worked out for me; getting a deal,
getting recognition, so I felt the best
way to share my testimony was
through music. And everyone wants
‘Alubarika’; everyone wants God’s
blessings, so it was easy for many
people to relate with the song.

How was your childhood, growing up
in the ghetto?

I am the first born and like I said, I
grew up in Ebute Meta to be precise
and I am telling you again that it
wasn’t easy. If you see movies like
Omo Ghetto, then you’ll understand
what I’m talking about. It was an
experience anyone from there will
never forget.

Coming from such background, how
did you get here, what were the
challenges faced

It wasn’t easy. For instance, I am the
type of person that would have loved
to get quality education, but I wasn’t
opportuned to have that. I had to drop out of school and I also have younger ones that look up to me, so it was really challenging. But we thank God for everything, everything has changed, everyone is smiling and we are doing well.

What educational level did you attain
before dropping out of school?

I was in my second year at the
University of Cape Coast in Ghana,
where I was studying Information
Technology, before I dropped out.
Prior to that, I attended Stepping
Stone Nursery and Primary School,
Satellite Town and Jibril Martin
Memorial Grammar School, Iponri.

Now that ‘Alubarika’ has come, do you intend to further your education?

Yes, Hopefully, I’ll be going back to
school soon. I thank God for the big
break and I just want to make many
more things happen and make more
money and then go back to school.

What thrills you most about being an
artiste?
I love passing positive messages
across to people. And also the new
lifestyle is really cool. People now
want to listen to you; the love and the
respect are overwhelming. I really
enjoy it.

For this genre of music, there must be
musical heroes, who are they?

I really love and respect Bob Marley
and like I said on my twitter handle,
I’m the next big thing after Bob
Marley…

You think so?

I’m very positive about that. If you
watch the video for ‘Alubarika’ closely, you’d see Bob Marley’s picture in it.

So what makes you so positive that
you could step in the shoes of such a
music icon?

People tell me that a lot. A lot of
people look at me and say ‘Boy, you
are the next big thing after Bob
Marley.’ It is not something I came up with, so I just had to claim it by faith. The percentage of music lovers that support reggaes music is relatively low.

How do you think the genre can be
fully revived?

I think it is experiencing revival now,
because now, it seems everyone wants to do dance hall music, which is a genre under reggae. So I think in one way or the other, people are trying to do reggae. There is no song that you would hear that you won’t have that reggae feel in it.
If it is not in the lyrics, then you will
feel it on the beats. So, the acceptance is huge now. If they can dance to ‘Alubarika’ in clubs, then I see reggae genre in the Nigeria entertainment industry going places. I dropped ‘Girlie o’ and then a remix with Tiwa Savage and it has pushed my music to further heights. I am very greatful to God.

How did you come about the name
Patoranking?

I used to be called Patoraiko in
school, when I was playing football.
Then I remember one day I was at the
Alpha Beach and there was this
Jamaican man playing the guitar and
I just decided to freestyle to the tune.
And he looked me and said he saw
something big in me.
So, for the respect he had for my
freestyle, he said he wished to change my name. I had told him I was Patoraiko and he changed the Raiko to Ranking and ranking in Jamaica means ‘highly respected’.

You used to be a member of the Dem
Mama Record label, did something go wrong?

Dem Mama Records is a family to me, but now I have a new deal with an international outfit. They came from South Africa, Foston Musik. We are making everything big. But I am still family with Dem Mama label, although I am now signed with Foston Musik.
There was no issue between us, it was an agreement between the two labels, so Dem Mama still remains family to me.

There is a perception that associates
reggae artistes with marijuana. What is your take on this?
I don’t drink and I don’t smoke. And I
think, to me, it is all about the
mindset. Inspiration comes from God
alone and not man. God gave man the talent and He has his reasons for that.
He can’t give you something that will
not be convenient for you. So I believe people are lying when they say they get inspired when they smoke weed. I don’t believe in it.

Do you have any album in sight?

I am working on a project and I can’t
say for now when I’ll eventually drop
the album.

What is your advice for young reggae
artistes?

It is just about doing good music and
doing the right thing. With this, you
will be heard, there is no two way
about it. Try to be different, be unique
in your own ways and try to look
good.

Source: http://omoalaja..com/2014/07/i-don-drink-nor-smoke-will-return-to.html?m=0

Add Omoalaja Entertainments on BBM : 7B549E9F

Re: I Don't Drink Nor Smoke, Will Return To School Soon - Patoranking Reveals by Nobody: 11:08am On Jul 19, 2014
Just love d way u do ur thing. Wish u d best.
Re: I Don't Drink Nor Smoke, Will Return To School Soon - Patoranking Reveals by pfijacobs(m): 11:53am On Jul 19, 2014
Oya make way!!!!!

Do re mi fa so la ti do do do

Me lovin u for a very long time....

God bless u and more alubarika to ur elbow...
Re: I Don't Drink Nor Smoke, Will Return To School Soon - Patoranking Reveals by Komedy(m): 12:37pm On Jul 19, 2014
Exceptional talent
Re: I Don't Drink Nor Smoke, Will Return To School Soon - Patoranking Reveals by Afrok(m): 12:39pm On Jul 19, 2014
I hope the bleaching girls will still like U after that song " ki lode ta n bora".
I wish U all the very best in your career.
Re: I Don't Drink Nor Smoke, Will Return To School Soon - Patoranking Reveals by dullassini(m): 12:53pm On Jul 19, 2014
Whayasay boom me love ya song badman
Re: I Don't Drink Nor Smoke, Will Return To School Soon - Patoranking Reveals by omoalajah(m): 1:38pm On Jul 19, 2014
Afrok: I hope the bleaching girls will still like U after that song " ki lode ta n bora".
I wish U all the very best in your career.
That's my track of the month tho.
Re: I Don't Drink Nor Smoke, Will Return To School Soon - Patoranking Reveals by danbrowndmf(m): 8:41pm On Jul 19, 2014
Patoranking! Patoranking! Patoraking! U say u knw dy smoke or drink? Oya tnk u.ha don ear
Re: I Don't Drink Nor Smoke, Will Return To School Soon - Patoranking Reveals by Andyblaze: 8:47pm On Jul 19, 2014
BOOMBA!!!!! #BITG
Re: I Don't Drink Nor Smoke, Will Return To School Soon - Patoranking Reveals by Ahmed0336(m): 10:34pm On Jul 19, 2014
I'm finding it hard to believe. Dosnt smoke nor drink? Ok o
Re: I Don't Drink Nor Smoke, Will Return To School Soon - Patoranking Reveals by JEITO: 12:08am On Jul 20, 2014
I love his music, and I like him more as a straight edge artist..

I wonder what people get from Alcohol and smoking sef Yuck!!!
Re: I Don't Drink Nor Smoke, Will Return To School Soon - Patoranking Reveals by ICEKID334(m): 10:22am On Jul 20, 2014
#Whaysay! sad
Re: I Don't Drink Nor Smoke, Will Return To School Soon - Patoranking Reveals by Forzap: 2:39pm On Jul 20, 2014
Lie of d century cry

(1) (Reply)

[Pic] Would You Date/Marry Maheeda's Daughter? / Beauty Of The Month: Stella Whyte Of Uniben Hits The July Fame..see Sweet Photos / Is This The Best Wedding Dress Ever Worn By An African Lady,checkout This Bride

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.