Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,770 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:35 PM

Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker (7680 Views)

Compassionate Fundraising Campaign For LUTH Nurse (senior Matron) / Urgent Response From Doctor In The House / Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by betatalk: 9:13am On Jul 20, 2014
Hyprocrite if they want to b giving orders they should go to the military. Let them go and sort their wahala and liv Nigerians out of it. If the lawmaker love doctors so much ow many bills have he proposed for doctors in the state. ThEy should also ask for ranks rubbish
Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by Oduduwaboy(m): 9:16am On Jul 20, 2014
Ashuale: Nigerians and titles. First day in NYSC camp bayelsa, doctors were asked to come out. Nine persons came out.we were introduced as the doctors for the camp.when we started the camp clinic, we discovered 2 doctors had IMPAIRED MEDICAL JUDGEMENT, patients under their care were getting worse, on investigation, they confessed that they were doctors of optometry.we were shocked.those promising graduates could have died. We need to bring sanity to the health system, we need to remove confusion, we need to stick to our job prescription, we need to love our job be u a nurse, a pharmacist, a lab scientist, a cleaner, a doctor. Inferiority complex and hatred are diseases and they plaguing our health sector. The public is heavily misinformed by JOHESU, they are even more active in this strike spreading misleading information.
Wow...very eye opening! Doctor of optometry indeed.
Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by Oduduwaboy(m): 9:20am On Jul 20, 2014
ogawisdom:

Sometimes I wonder y first degree holders with mere mbbs r called doc as if they ve phds. They shld b called physicians until they advance in their field. D real docs r phd holders.
U can b a doc in any field once u bag a doctorate degree. B educated son
wow...wonder reasoning from JOHESU house of absurdity. clap for yourself!
Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by Nobody: 10:01am On Jul 20, 2014
Ayanko: The Lawyer that collect 10% and Achitect 3.5%. Ask that fool called Majority leader are they Goverment Employee.
The man confused me too. Architect, engineers are paid percentage of the total contract sum from their client, the percentages he mentioned above. Iam just wondering where the doctors will be getting the percentage he is agitating from, from patient?.. Lolo so if doctor prescribed #1000 drug for you uo go comot 100 naira for pocket give am.. Lol this guy is silly

1 Like

Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by dumodust(m): 10:02am On Jul 20, 2014
chucs: So you know about that and you did not Include that in a normal country doctors do their work and forget about Hospital administration? Nurses do their duties, they don't carry out orders please. A nurse is not answerable to a doctor,get it correct.

Stop lying just to misinform the public who know better than you...do nurses just coast around in the hospital? Have u been to sny 'normal' country? The doctors write the orders down regard less of their level and the nurse, whether she's 100yrs in service,carries out the order. The thing they get away with in nigeria is called negligence, dont do it anywhere else (especially if u dont have a reason and havent conferred with the doc) or find yourself facing several panels and lawsuits
Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by dumodust(m): 10:05am On Jul 20, 2014
Ashuale: Nigerians and titles. First day in NYSC camp bayelsa, doctors were asked to come out. Nine persons came out.we were introduced as the doctors for the camp.when we started the camp clinic, we discovered 2 doctors had IMPAIRED MEDICAL JUDGEMENT, patients under their care were getting worse, on investigation, they confessed that they were doctors of optometry.we were shocked.those promising graduates could have died. We need to bring sanity to the health system, we need to remove confusion, we need to stick to our job prescription, we need to love our job be u a nurse, a pharmacist, a lab scientist, a cleaner, a doctor. Inferiority complex and hatred are diseases and they plaguing our health sector. The public is heavily misinformed by JOHESU, they are even more active in this strike spreading misleading information.
next time that happens, confront them with law enforcement agents, involve the affected patients and and report to Medical and dental council of Nigeria (mdcn)

1 Like

Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by NaMe4: 10:09am On Jul 20, 2014

Well, this is what persons who reason with facts would want to avoid.
Many Nigerians have lost their lives this way and many more are still damn ignorant.
Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by Nobody: 10:14am On Jul 20, 2014
deols:

Dont you say that, man.

An average Nigerian is uneducated. In fact more than an average is. A nurse's experience is not in the field of diagnosis and treatment. A nurse's 30yrs experience only supersedes that of junior nurses. Not a doctor's.

The rigorous training of doctors ensures that they are competent enough to do what they are to do at each stage of their training(n.b doctors train for life)

I Must say that an average Nigerian Doctor is GOod(or stuffed as they say). The people need to be more trusting and appreciative of their efforts. I have met a good number and I'm very impressed at how much they can do with the little resources at their disposal.

I expect the public to be demanding answers from the government. Y would a responsible government allow the health system to go down for this long?? And allow the masses suffer??

Johesu members av bn going to work doing nothing all d while. Doesn't that even show that the reason patients come to the hospital is to consult with doctors(physicians?).

And no, the CMd can only be a doctor. Allowing others is only to create an impending chaos. Why can't the government see that?

JONA Just has to go. It is unthinkable that all sorts of civil unrest keep happening under a government. Tjis is a spineless government.

A physician is trained to manage patients but not trained to manage a health-system. In fact many physicians are bad managers, not because they are not smart, but because they are not cost-benefit smart. In fact a lot of hospitals in the mid-west of the US has nurses as their COO. This is why a lot of MDs are now going for their MBAs, simply because they were not adequately prepared for management positions in medical school. This current conundrum can be rectified by the government if an office of CEO is created while also retaining the CMD. Chief medical director in its current form is a misnomer. CMD should not be the person in charge of the medical center but rather the person that is responsible for management of the physicians and patients. And this position should only be reserved to the physicians. CMD should be on the same level as the Chief nursing officer (CNO), who is responsible for the management of nurses. Management of the medical center should be reserved to the CEO and COO, and should be based on their experience in hospital management rather than how well one knows the human physiology and anatomy. Anyone, therefore, can be the CEO if qualified.

3 Likes

Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by chucs: 10:26am On Jul 20, 2014
dumodust:

Stop lying just to misinform the public who know better than you...do nurses just coast around in the hospital? Have u been to sny 'normal' country? The doctors write the orders down regard less of their level and the nurse, whether she's 100yrs in service,carries out the order. The thing they get away with in nigeria is called negligence, dont do it anywhere else (especially if u dont have a reason and havent conferred with the doc) or find yourself facing several panels and lawsuits
you are the one lying and misinforming the public..what order are you writting about here?
Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by dumodust(m): 10:44am On Jul 20, 2014
chucs: you are the one lying and misinforming the public..what order are you writting about here?
my friend, if you dont know anything and havent worked in a hospital... stop talking like u know better
Orders are written on paper on tabs kept near the pts bed... prescription s and how to be given, fluid, how much of what to take etc and it is the duty of the nurse to be guided by it in doing her work. There's transfusion order, post op order...
ok, i know what your problem is... nigerians smh... because it is called an order makes it demeaning shebi?
do you work in a hospital? ... if u dont... dont reply, someone else should
Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by iiiyyyk(m): 10:52am On Jul 20, 2014
ottizz:

A physician is trained to manage patients but not trained to manage a health-system. In fact many physicians are bad managers, not because they are not smart, but because they are not cost-benefit smart. In fact a lot of hospitals in the mid-west of the US has nurses as their COO. This is why a lot of MDs are now going for their MBAs, simply because they were not adequately prepared for management positions in medical school. This current conundrum can be rectified by the government if an office of CEO is created while also retaining the CMD. Chief medical director in its current form is a misnomer. CMD should not be the person in charge of the medical center but rather the person that is responsible for management of the physicians and patients. And this position should only be reserved to the physicians. CMD should be on the same level as the Chief nursing officer (CNO), who is responsible for the management of nurses. Management of the medical center should be reserved to the CEO and COO, and should be based on their experience in hospital management rather than how well one knows the human physiology and anatomy. Anyone, therefore, can be the CEO if qualified.

Thank u my brother.
Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by chucs: 11:19am On Jul 20, 2014
dumodust:
my friend, if you dont know anything and havent worked in a hospital... stop talking like u know better
Orders are written on paper on tabs kept near the pts bed... prescription s and how to be given, fluid, how much of what to take etc and it is the duty of the nurse to be guided by it in doing her work. There's transfusion order, post op order...
ok, i know what your problem is... nigerians smh... because it is called an order makes it demeaning shebi?
do you work in a hospital? ... if u dont... dont reply, someone else should
Thanks for the reply. First and foremost I'm working in a fed. Hosp. and that is the second time I'm working in a govt establishment. The resaon why I quoted you was because I wanted to know the order you were writing about. You mentioned the word order as if u were ordering your servant. Mind you some orders are questionable. By knowing my problem you meant English right? You don't know it better if I must tell you.
Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by rhemal: 11:22am On Jul 20, 2014
YourHealthlabs:

Village man.. grin

Now let's take a cursory look at the word "doctor" you've been mouthing all over(as if you invented it in your grandfather's backyard). Open your dictionary and read the different meanings the word "doctor".

It is derived from latin word "docere" meaning "to teach".

In no particular order, a doctor is----->

1. In education; teacher or scholar: a teacher or somebody very knowledgeable.

2. somebody with highest university degree: a title given to somebody who has been awarded a doctorate, the highest level of degree awarded by a university

3. Roman Catholic theologian: in the earlier history of the Roman Catholic Church, an eminent and influential theologian.

4. medic, dentist, veterinarian, or osteopath: a title used before the names of health professionals such as physicians, dentists, veterinarians, and osteopath

5. somebody who can fix things: a skilled practitioner of something, especially fixing or improving something.

Have you noticed you can't protect that title 'doctor" for your benefit alone unlike the "Biomedical scientists" and "pharmacists" in UK protect theirs and make it criminal for any other person to use.

I'm sorry, you can't sue anyone who addresses himself as a "doctor" even if he is a mechanic(check no5 definition). So sweat less
grin

HARD FACTS

1 Like

Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by rhemal: 11:27am On Jul 20, 2014
rhemal:

HARD FACTS

but really,I'll rather put my trust on someone with long experience rather than someone with certificate....

Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by dumodust(m): 11:31am On Jul 20, 2014
chucs: Thanks for the reply. First and foremost I'm working in a fed. Hosp. and that is the second time I'm working in a govt establishment. The resaon why I quoted you was because I wanted to know the order you were writing about. You mentioned the word order as if u were ordering your servant. Mind you some orders are questionable. By knowing my problem you meant English right? You don't know it better if I must tell you.

Hahaha... here we go again, professor of orders, bottom line is that u are guided and take 'orders' whether directly or indirectly and whether you're a servant or not, working for free or paid...or do you go wandering about the hospital pouncing on patients?
and what exactly are u talking about? Know what better? Carry your complex comot abeg... I'm just making sure u dont tell people rubbish... misinformer forming like he is independent

2 Likes

Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by Joejonah(m): 11:36am On Jul 20, 2014
deols:

And what is ur job specification in that hospital?

Are u one of the consultant orderlies?

please let not bring ourselves to public critics here.... doctors I respect are the doctors of old... not this present one that bought their way through the medical school that don't know their right from their left... bet me, most of them can't spell drugs correctly... they live on the past glory of their hero's and now want to acclaim the whole glory unto themselves....

works are going on in the hospitals, check it out for yourself...
Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by chucs: 11:49am On Jul 20, 2014
dumodust:

Hahaha... here we go again, professor of orders, bottom line is that u are guided and take 'orders' whether directly or indirectly and whether you're a servant or not, working for free or paid...or do you go wandering about the hospital pouncing on patients?
and what exactly are u talking about? Know what better? Carry your complex comot abeg... I'm just making sure u dont tell people rubbish... misinformer forming like he is independent
I have few words to say to you and that will be my last time of quoting you. You are a very stupid fellow. Such a shame that you are a doctor!!
Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by Nobody: 11:57am On Jul 20, 2014
joker5180: " doctor of medical lab science" is next, I think they are still 'googling' to find out if it is been offered in UK or US

In actual fact, it is has started. Doctor of Clinical laboratory science (D.CLS) is now vogue in the U.S.A.
Sue the Americans if you think it takes away bread from your mouth.

http://shrp.rutgers.edu/dept/CLS/DCLS/index.html

http://www.ascls.org/about-us/voice-your-opinion/position-papers/176-advanced-practice-doctorate-in-clinical-laboratory-science/138-advanced-practice-doctorate-in-clinical-laboratory-science

grin
Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by Nobody: 12:01pm On Jul 20, 2014
Samgreguc:
ok.
In inference, our patient should remain ignorant.

Of course they expect everybody, from patients to health professionals to remain ignorant. Only then can they smell victory.

I once said that if our physicians had their way, they will go on strike to make sure no else has access to the internet except them.
It's that bad for some of them.
Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by Ashuale(m): 12:14pm On Jul 20, 2014
Who is the head of a university?is managing of university different from health sector?.who is the head of the courts?have you seen any support staff (clerk, secretary etc) heading a court or being minister of justice, ?the list goes on. Why should support staff(pharmacists, nurses, lab attendant, cleaner) now be heavily backed by the populace to be CMD?.if you have been to a government hospital before,can you approach a nurse without receiving a harsh treatment? Etc.
ottizz:

Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by armadeo(m): 12:14pm On Jul 20, 2014
chucs: Thanks for the reply. First and foremost I'm working in a fed. Hosp. and that is the second time I'm working in a govt establishment. The resaon why I quoted you was because I wanted to know the order you were writing about. You mentioned the word order as if u were ordering your servant. Mind you some orders are questionable. By knowing my problem you meant English right? You don't know it better if I must tell you.

Is thee such a thing as post op order or transfusion order written by the dr as instructions to the nurse on how he wants the patient managed? Simple yes or no.
Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by armadeo(m): 12:16pm On Jul 20, 2014
chucs: I have few words to say to you and that will be my last time of quoting you. You are a very stupid fellow. Such a shame that you are a doctor!!
Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by ziga: 12:18pm On Jul 20, 2014
chucs: So you know about that and you did not Include that in a normal country doctors do their work and forget about Hospital administration? Nurses do their duties, they don't carry out orders please. A nurse is not answerable to a doctor,get it correct.

Please tell me what a nurse's duty is and how it relates to the Doctors in the hospital.

I'm tired of all that Nurses don't do this and that talk.

Let us hear how they work with Doctors in a medical team. Maybe we are talking the same thing.

And if you don'r like the word order, you can substitute with instructions.
Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by ziga: 12:20pm On Jul 20, 2014
Joejonah:

hope you are not studying medicine too with this your English??

And this is everything you could dig out of your brain?

Says a lot about why we are aguing.
Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jul 20, 2014
Oduduwaboy:

Dear ' Dr' YourHealthlabs how you? Am sure you like that title? But please note that presently in the United States Different states are passing legislations to restrict the use of the honorific 'Dr' to Medical doctors alone within the hospital environment. This was done because of Primitive Impostors like you.
Within the hospital your Ph.d does not count!!! Hope you get this into your very dull brain. Cheers!

Passing legislation?...hahahaha

and you think that's the first time they tried it?. Brother, it has been shot down several times. There are PhD-consultant health professionals in Teaching hospitals and they are well represented in the American Congress.

There are Nurses, pharmacists and Scientists with PhD in the hospital environment. They only explain and emphasize their field after introducing themselves to patients and relatives which aligns with common sense.

The reason why you can't stop anyone from using that title anywhere in the world is obvious just take a look at the origin of the word---->

"Docere" (latin=to teach);
Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by dumodust(m): 12:28pm On Jul 20, 2014
chucs: I have few words to say to you and that will be my last time of quoting you. You are a very stupid fellow. Such a shame that you are a doctor!!
its unfortunate you dont know your job description.., I just pushed it to your face... silly misinformer, be proud of your profession and what exactly u do
Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by dumodust(m): 12:31pm On Jul 20, 2014
YourHealthlabs:

Passing legislation?...hahahaha

and you that's the first time they tried it?. Brother, it has been shot down several times. There are PhD-consultant health professionals in Teaching hospitals and they are well represented in the American Congress.

There are Nurses, pharmacists and Scientists with PhD in the hospital environment. They only explain and emphasize their field after introducing themselves to patients and relatives which aligns with common sense.

The reason why you can't stop anyone from using that title anywhere in the world is obvious just take a look at the origin of the word---->

"Docere" (latin=to teach);
so you're still doing this fruitless manual labour on your keyboard? Hmmm
And now u teach latin? Docere and doctor dont sound the same to me and to the patients Carry your village titles to ojuelegba, not hospital
Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by iiiyyyk(m): 12:34pm On Jul 20, 2014
Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by chucs: 12:39pm On Jul 20, 2014
dumodust:
its unfortunate you dont know your job description.., I just pushed it to your face... silly misinformer, be proud of your profession and what exactly u do
Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by Nobody: 12:41pm On Jul 20, 2014
dumodust:
so you're still doing this fruitless manual labour on your keyboard? Hmmm
And now u teach latin? Docere and doctor dont sound the same to me and to the patients Carry your village titles to ojuelegba, not hospital

Stop being frustrated that everyone is demystifying you and making things abundantly clear to our ignorant people/patient. I understand, you should be worried, i would too. grin

But the truth must be told.

If you were so keen about the origin of pre-historic allopathic medicine revolving around the physician only. Why shouldn't you be interested in the origin of the title(doctor) you seek to monopolize even to the detriment of well lettered PhD holders compared to your Fellowship diplomas?.

What are you guys really afraid of?. Patient's and Nigerian's gaining more knowledge about International best health practices?
grin
Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by ziga: 12:44pm On Jul 20, 2014
chucs: You are saying that If a nurse,pharmacist etc bags a doctorate degree they won't be referred to as Doctors?

They can be referred to Doctors but not in the hospital.

The US that we are trying to copy their style of healthcare don't do it because of patient confusion.

There are states that have laws against it. In fact, in certain states, health workers have to have an attachment to their badge that says nurse, doctor, phlebotomist etc.

And if the title is so important to you in the hospital, states that don't have laws against it make you introduce yourself as "I am Dr. "Igbati" and I am your nurse today"

Would you want somebody to come tell you they are Doctor "something" while you are sick in the hospital, and then later find out they are not physicians?

And in Nigeria where we already should be ware of quacks posing in white coats, do you think that is the next step for our healthcare?
Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by dumodust(m): 12:56pm On Jul 20, 2014
YourHealthlabs:

Stop being frustrated that everyone is demystifying you and making things abundantly clear to our ignorant people/patient. I understand, you should be worried, i would too. grin

But the truth must be told.

If you were so keen about the origin of pre-historic allopathic medicine revolving around the physician only. Why shouldn't you be interested in the origin of the title(doctor) you seek to monopolize even to the detriment of well lettered PhD holders compared to your Fellowship diplomas?.

What are you guys really afraid of?. Patient's and Nigerian's gaining more knowledge about International best health practices?
grin

Continue working hard... we are on the pedestal watching.., its good your propaganda has made us sooo popular... doctors have not had it this good, now people know who is who... our lab guy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

#coronavirus: See How Much Each Breathing Machine ICU Ventilator Costs / How Can I Recover Back My Sense Of Taste And Smell? / 10 Reasons Why You Should Drink Warm Lemon Water In The Morning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.