Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,817 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:37 AM

NMASTRIKE: University of Uyo Teaching Hospital CMD Shuts Down Electricity. - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NMASTRIKE: University of Uyo Teaching Hospital CMD Shuts Down Electricity. (13240 Views)

FG Shuts Down Federal Medical Centre, Owerri / Ebonyi Teaching Hospital Cmd Forges Certificate / Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NMASTRIKE: University of Uyo Teaching Hospital CMD Shuts Down Electricity. by heykims(m): 8:07am On Jul 21, 2014
drered: So the diesel keeping patients on life support is a waste? You really are concerned sir!
O boy, abeg when did Johesuite start keeping patients on life support machines in d absence of doctors' orders?

5 Likes

Re: NMASTRIKE: University of Uyo Teaching Hospital CMD Shuts Down Electricity. by duni04(m): 8:07am On Jul 21, 2014
duni04: Public service in nigeria is a joke. its not about rendering service or contributing to national development, it mostly about how much you can gleen from the government and the number of doors you can open for your friends and family members while doing nothing. Most of these guys, from university lecturers to doctors and NNPC workers, own their own businesses and consult in the private sector but they still want to eat from the national cake. its nothing but shameful greed
Re: NMASTRIKE: University of Uyo Teaching Hospital CMD Shuts Down Electricity. by Sylverbox(m): 8:17am On Jul 21, 2014
Dear Op am sorry to burst your bubble. You should be careful with the kind of false news you spread here. I happen to have trained in the very institution you are refering to and have friends who still work there.
Now I was there over the weekend and can tell You categorically that nothing, I repeat nothing is going on in the hospital. We have 2 very large diesel plants that power the entire hospital, many other dedicated backup generators for almost every department eg, Blood bank, Casualty, dialysis suite,radiology and orthopaedic wards. So any unit that feels they are 'working' should utilize their backup plants and stop all this ranting. JO really hates You.

6 Likes

Re: NMASTRIKE: University of Uyo Teaching Hospital CMD Shuts Down Electricity. by sarutobie(m): 8:29am On Jul 21, 2014
elpatch: The Lab tech guy that sponsor this thread need learn how to sort the raw information before you dish it out to people.I am a doctor and this is the first time I'm commenting on the issue that borders on the on going strike.why don't you get your facts right.You can be in the position of power too and I'm sure you won't like people dishing out wrong information about your establishment.
We sometimes don't need to paint others black for us to look pristine.
Is it economically sensible to be supplying electricity to empty wards or laboratories that are not working?I am sure you know how much a litre of diesel cost.
The OP is a smart kid and he has being trying hard to turn the nairaland's mind against the doctors,if you doubt my assertion,take a trip through his write ups.My advise is for all to take it cool with each other,we are in the sector together and we will continue to need eachother.
there are 'some' doctors and there are doctors.THIS is a doctor speaking

1 Like

Re: NMASTRIKE: University of Uyo Teaching Hospital CMD Shuts Down Electricity. by Samabu07(m): 8:43am On Jul 21, 2014
What a sad development. My concern is to those critical ills who need electricity to suppress pains and improve their health conditions. And also the blood banks. So many blood would be useless.
Akpabio should urge PHCN in Uyo to supply steady power supply. If possible divert electricity supplies meant for Govt houses for the University Teaching Hospital pending the resolve of NMA Strike.

Now should be the era of never falling ill.

I pray against fatal road accidents if not OYO will be the case. Military Hospital go full be that.

I just dey feel for Pregnant woman now especially those about to be or in Labour....Private Hospital go use them cover margin

What say their Oath self? Do their Oath also portray Doctors should turn a blind eyes because of non-compliance by FG? Funny enough they would still be paid their full benefits.
Re: NMASTRIKE: University of Uyo Teaching Hospital CMD Shuts Down Electricity. by Nobody: 8:52am On Jul 21, 2014
Sylverbox: Dear Op am sorry to burst your bubble. You should be careful with the kind of false news you spread here. I happen to have trained in the very institution you are refering to and have friends who still work there.
Now I was there over the weekend and can tell You categorically that nothing, I repeat nothing is going on in the hospital. We have 2 very large diesel plants that power the entire hospital, many other dedicated backup generators for almost every department eg, Blood bank, Casualty, dialysis suite,radiology and orthopaedic wards. So any unit that feels they are 'working' should utilize their backup plants and stop all this ranting. JO really hates You.

Kindly tell us, who heads these departments you mentioned?
Doctors or non medical doctors?
If they are doctors, do you expect them to order the generators switched on,while they are on strike?
Whatever the case might be, the CMD was wrong since budgetary allocation have been made to run those generators already.

1 Like

Re: NMASTRIKE: University of Uyo Teaching Hospital CMD Shuts Down Electricity. by drered(m): 9:04am On Jul 21, 2014
heykims:
O boy, abeg when did Johesuite start keeping patients on life support machines in d absence of doctors' orders?
Don't be daft. Nobody was on those machines before they went on strike? + Consultant doctors are supposed to maintain status quo pending their court case with PCN so why can't fresh patients be placed on life support?
Re: NMASTRIKE: University of Uyo Teaching Hospital CMD Shuts Down Electricity. by heykims(m): 9:22am On Jul 21, 2014
drered: Don't be daft. Nobody was on those machines before they went on strike? + Consultant doctors are supposed to maintain status quo pending their court case with PCN so why can't fresh patients be placed on life support?
me a daft?
At least its good u admitted managing patients on life support isn't d kids JOHESU play.
But d issue of fresh patients being placed on life support doesn't come to play here, consultants will merely manage those already in d delimna before onset of strike..
Re: NMASTRIKE: University of Uyo Teaching Hospital CMD Shuts Down Electricity. by drered(m): 9:28am On Jul 21, 2014
heykims:
me a daft?
At least its good u admitted managing patients on life support isn't d kids JOHESU play.
But d issue of fresh patients being placed on life support doesn't come to play here, consultants will merely manage those already in d delimna before onset of strike..
*sigh. Mis-informed people are so exasperating!. Nobody, including JOHESU is down playing the importance of doctors. Doctors are very important! But so is every other member of the health care team. Why won't it come into play? Abi isn't it status quo? or Its house officers that will abi?

1 Like

Re: NMASTRIKE: University of Uyo Teaching Hospital CMD Shuts Down Electricity. by heykims(m): 9:36am On Jul 21, 2014
drered: Don't be daft. Nobody was on those machines before they went on strike? + Consultant doctors are supposed to maintain status quo pending their court case with PCN so why can't fresh patients be placed on life support?
Re: NMASTRIKE: University of Uyo Teaching Hospital CMD Shuts Down Electricity. by Ochek: 9:36am On Jul 21, 2014
[quote author=Jummymine]the poster is a

It's quite disheartening to see that NMA is resolving to do the exact they have accused JOHESU of. I mean, for crying out loud, NMA should be flooded with individuals of high prestigious intellect who should save their faces from belittling their proclaimed "almighty and high" (yes! All mighty and high cos there are not currently leaving up to expectations).

I am nisaint, but I never begrudged an immobile patient's request to pick up their lip balm, dial a phone, or scratch their back or baby toe. I learned early in my practice that all of us take turns being patients if we are lucky- if we are not so lucky, we die a very sudden death. I am not a religious person, but I believe that we humans Must do for each other as we would want for ourselves.
Re: NMASTRIKE: University of Uyo Teaching Hospital CMD Shuts Down Electricity. by Ochek: 9:38am On Jul 21, 2014
Jummymine: the poster is a joker. i do not know whether he has ever been in within the four walls of a hospital.
in fact, it is the only meaningful thing for the guy to do.
its thensame over here in ife. Except for a very very few pts i see, like a matron who is vey sick that we are helpin specially by treating, and the very long stayers like the ortho pts whom we do not discharge, yhe wards are empty. the nurses, lab guys and the rest are just sitiing down doing nothing.
to continue wasting money on diesel is mere foolishness. the wis thing to do is to use only he nepa light.
mind you, same happens when johesu, which includes everybody except the doctors, goes on strike.
it is only when individual worker groups , like the pharmacists, physios, lab guys etc go on strike, that no one misses them. work just continues as near normal. that is why you have a union like johesu msde up of sooo many strange bedfellows.

It's quite disheartening to see that NMA is resolving to do the exact they have accused JOHESU of. I mean, for crying out loud, NMA should be flooded with individuals of high prestigious intellect who should save their faces from belittling their proclaimed "almighty and high" (yes! All mighty and high cos there are not currently leaving up to expectations).

I am no saint, but I never begrudged an immobile patient's request to pick up their lip balm, dial a phone, or scratch their back or baby toe. I learned early in my practice that all of us take turns being patients if we are lucky- if we are not so lucky, we die a very sudden death. I am not a religious person, but I believe that we humans Must do for each other as we would want for ourselves.
Re: NMASTRIKE: University of Uyo Teaching Hospital CMD Shuts Down Electricity. by phantom(m): 9:51am On Jul 21, 2014
dull Nigerians!! very gullible.no wonder your leaders r.ape you like there's no tomorrow.

2 Likes

Re: NMASTRIKE: University of Uyo Teaching Hospital CMD Shuts Down Electricity. by sisiafrika(f): 10:45am On Jul 21, 2014
elpatch: The Lab tech guy that sponsor this thread need learn how to sort the raw information before you dish it out to people.I am a doctor and this is the first time I'm commenting on the issue that borders on the on going strike.why don't you get your facts right.You can be in the position of power too and I'm sure you won't like people dishing out wrong information about your establishment.
We sometimes don't need to paint others black for us to look pristine.
Is it economically sensible to be supplying electricity to empty wards or laboratories that are not working?I am sure you know how much a litre of diesel cost.
The OP is a smart kid and he has being trying hard to turn the nairaland's mind against the doctors,if you doubt my assertion,take a trip through his write ups.My advise is for all to take it cool with each other,we are in the sector together and we will continue to need eachother.
why am I feeling 'pity'? This post evokes pity?
Re: NMASTRIKE: University of Uyo Teaching Hospital CMD Shuts Down Electricity. by riskit33: 10:48am On Jul 21, 2014
Sylverbox: Dear Op am sorry to burst your bubble. You should be careful with the kind of false news you spread here. I happen to have trained in the very institution you are refering to and have friends who still work there.
It's you who's spreading very false rumour here! I'm a Physiotherapist in the said institution and our department has NO backup generator just like many others. The few that have are those under the revolving fund and have to depend on the management to release funds for fueling those generator sets. Feed the public with ONLY the truth!

2 Likes

Re: NMASTRIKE: University of Uyo Teaching Hospital CMD Shuts Down Electricity. by sisiafrika(f): 10:50am On Jul 21, 2014
heykims: This is mere propaganda nd only d gullible will fall for it. Physiotherapists attending to patients as if they are d primary owners of d patients, these re patients referred to them by doctors nd they usually visit on outpatient basis(from their homes) during d day time.
But who re those treating those said to be on d wards, d nurses? d op is a joker!!
I'm pretty sure hardly will any patient remain on d wards except maybe some doctors re secretly visiting wch is a usual thing in strikes or maybe d orthopedic patients too who re actually stable but for some tractions on their limbs..
The scenes in hospitals during strike actions in virtually all hospitals is nurses, lab scientists etc all being in their respective posts doing nothing nd conserving fuel at nights during power outage is almost a norm in most hospitals.
and is this supposed to be English? Oh my my!
Re: NMASTRIKE: University of Uyo Teaching Hospital CMD Shuts Down Electricity. by elohorayodele: 10:53am On Jul 21, 2014
Jummymine: the poster is a joker. i do not know whether he has ever been in within the four walls of a hospital.
its thensame over here in ife. Except for a very very few pts i see, like a matron who is vey sick that we are helpin specially by treating, and the very long stayers like the ortho pts whom we do not discharge, yhe wards are empty. the nurses, lab guys and the rest are just sitiing down doing nothing.
to continue wasting money on diesel is mere foolishness. the wis thing to do is to use only he nepa light.
mind you, same happens when johesu, which includes everybody except the doctors, goes on strike.
it is only when individual worker groups , like the pharmacists, physios, lab guys etc go on strike, that no one misses them. work just continues as near normal. that is why you have a union like johesu msde up of sooo many strange bedfellows.

May your relatives not be in any hospital anywhere in nigeria and the CMD decides that NEPA light is enough like you suggested. Wat amount of money wasted can be compared to relief for some patients or saving lives of some who can't afford private hosps?
Re: NMASTRIKE: University of Uyo Teaching Hospital CMD Shuts Down Electricity. by elohorayodele: 10:55am On Jul 21, 2014
finn: Same thing Johesu people did last year during their strike. Nurses locked up their cabinets with ward equipments, locked up some theatre equipments. Records people locked up files. Porter locked up gurneys. Lab scientists locked up reagents and all. We could run these things but they locked them up so we wont have access to them.

So deciding to cut power as revenge is the best way forward abi?

1 Like

Re: NMASTRIKE: University of Uyo Teaching Hospital CMD Shuts Down Electricity. by eejo(m): 11:04am On Jul 21, 2014
ignoramus Nigeria Doctor comment who knows nothing, let me ask you so motuary, lab blood bank, babies in incubators to mention but a few don't need light?

1 Like

Re: NMASTRIKE: University of Uyo Teaching Hospital CMD Shuts Down Electricity. by texazzpete(m): 11:09am On Jul 21, 2014
eejo: ignoramus Nigeria Doctor comment who knows nothing, let me ask you so motuary, lab blood bank, babies in incubators to mention but a few don't need light?

But the OP specifically mentioned that it's the generator for the wards that have been cut off.

Do you keep blood in the wards? Do the wards double as mortuaries?
Do you know if they have any babies in incubators right now?

Ignoramus.

3 Likes

Re: NMASTRIKE: University of Uyo Teaching Hospital CMD Shuts Down Electricity. by allycat: 11:14am On Jul 21, 2014
riskit33:
It's you who's spreading very false rumour here! I'm a Physiotherapist in the said institution and our department has NO backup generator just like many others. The few that have are those under the revolving fund and have to depend on the management to release funds for fueling those generator sets. Feed the public with ONLY the truth!

A revloving fund in a hosptal means it is money raised from services provided used to the operation. Now if there are no patients paying for the services where does the revolving fund get its money. Such money's are not provided by government but from what patients pay. That is why fee paying pharmacies and labs in teaching hospitals tend to render better services than those that offer "free" drugs and investigations. Because they make money they have money to restock. If when patients come back there are no funds to run the generators the same people will say the CMD wasted fuel during the strike. He is damned if he does and damnedd if he doesn't.

3 Likes

Re: NMASTRIKE: University of Uyo Teaching Hospital CMD Shuts Down Electricity. by eejo(m): 11:40am On Jul 21, 2014
texazzpete:

But the OP specifically mentioned that it's the generator for the wards that have been cut off.

Do you keep blood in the wards? Do the wards double as mortuaries?
Do you know if they have any babies in incubators right now?

Ignoramus.
igonoramus do you have to cut light for your strike to be effective what about vaccines in ante natal ward that must be maintain at a potent temperaure. This is a crime against humanity IGNORAMUS

1 Like

Re: NMASTRIKE: University of Uyo Teaching Hospital CMD Shuts Down Electricity. by Shine1177: 11:42am On Jul 21, 2014
finn: Same thing Johesu people did last year during their strike. Nurses locked up their cabinets with ward equipments, locked up some theatre equipments. Records people locked up files. Porter locked up gurneys. Lab scientists locked up reagents and all. We could run these things but they locked them up so we wont have access to them.
So it is tit for tat at human life expence? Indeed there was a country!
Re: NMASTRIKE: University of Uyo Teaching Hospital CMD Shuts Down Electricity. by gentlelyfe(m): 12:02pm On Jul 21, 2014
...u are an idiot to vommit ds rubbish...after helding a secret meeting,he switchd off d gen...if he had gud intensions..y d secret meeting?....na selfishness n pride go kill ena...nonsense
Re: NMASTRIKE: University of Uyo Teaching Hospital CMD Shuts Down Electricity. by Bigsteveg(m): 12:34pm On Jul 21, 2014
YourHealthlabs: Our almighty CMD want's to render the physiotherapists, the Nurses and the Scientist useless so that patient's can die.
EFCC should zoom in and ask him to open his books, we need him to give account of the N4.6 billion that comes into his office yearly.

4.6 billion naira, are u kidding me? Why do we blame politicians if anything go wrong with our economy, so a CMD received over billion naira in a year and dat hospital is not one of the best in the world...then our problem is universal.
Re: NMASTRIKE: University of Uyo Teaching Hospital CMD Shuts Down Electricity. by Nobody: 12:38pm On Jul 21, 2014
Kai...so naija with all its crude oil is now a generator dependent country...money that's supposed to be channeled to repair refineries has now been budgeted for buying and fueling gen...hmm.
Re: NMASTRIKE: University of Uyo Teaching Hospital CMD Shuts Down Electricity. by riskit33: 1:16pm On Jul 21, 2014
allycat:

A revloving fund in a hosptal means it is money raised from services provided used to the operation. Now if there are no patients paying for the services where does the revolving fund get its money. Such money's are not provided by government but from what patients pay. That is why fee paying pharmacies and labs in teaching hospitals tend to render better services than those that offer "free" drugs and investigations. Because they make money they have money to restock. If when patients come back there are no funds to run the generators the same people will say the CMD wasted fuel during the strike. He is damned if he does and damnedd if he doesn't.
you've ended up quoting me yet saying the same thing.
Re: NMASTRIKE: University of Uyo Teaching Hospital CMD Shuts Down Electricity. by texazzpete(m): 1:33pm On Jul 21, 2014
elohorayodele:

May your relatives not be in any hospital anywhere in nigeria and the CMD decides that NEPA light is enough like you suggested. Wat amount of money wasted can be compared to relief for some patients or saving lives of some who can't afford private hosps?

For the CMD, the hospital is a business that must be profitable to stay afloat.

if Buka owners will not give free food to the people who cannot afford food, cab drivers will not give free rides, bankers do not dash money to poor people to save their lives, your Pastors do not hand money to the homeless, why do you want the CMD to provide free treatment with no money back? How do you keep resources for paying customers if you give it away to those who can't pay?

I agree there's a moral angle to consider, but from a business point of view, the CMD may have done the most financially savvy thing. No need to excoriate him for that when you fail to extend the same scrutiny to other professions.

3 Likes

Re: NMASTRIKE: University of Uyo Teaching Hospital CMD Shuts Down Electricity. by texazzpete(m): 2:26pm On Jul 21, 2014
Bigsteveg:

4.6 billion naira, are u kidding me? Why do we blame politicians if anything go wrong with our economy, so a CMD received over billion naira in a year and dat hospital is not one of the best in the world...then our problem is universal.

I pulled up the budget for a relatively small hospital in King County, Washington. Annual budget (in 2012!) came to 144.6 million US dollars. That's nearly 24 billion Naira. And that was two years ago. And those guys do not even generate their own power.

You think 4.6 billion naira would make a hospital 'one of the best in the world'? BWAHAHAAHHAHAHAHA!

3 Likes

Re: NMASTRIKE: University of Uyo Teaching Hospital CMD Shuts Down Electricity. by elohorayodele: 2:30pm On Jul 21, 2014
texazzpete:

For the CMD, the hospital is a business that must be profitable to stay afloat.

if Buka owners will not give free food to the people who cannot afford food, cab drivers will not give free rides, bankers do not dash money to poor people to save their lives, your Pastors do not hand money to the homeless, why do you want the CMD to provide free treatment with no money back? How do you keep resources for paying customers if you give it away to those who can't pay?

I agree there's a moral angle to consider, but from a business point of view, the CMD may have done the most financially savvy thing. No need to excoriate him for that when you fail to extend the same scrutiny to other professions.

Its a business that needs to stay afloat? That's not true. A teaching hospital that doesn't declare profit, is not self dependent (receives annual subvention for 100% of its needs) is NOT a business.

1 Like

Re: NMASTRIKE: University of Uyo Teaching Hospital CMD Shuts Down Electricity. by jaytee01(m): 2:34pm On Jul 21, 2014
hydeka: If they continue this way, they'll soon lose whatever public sympathy they have left. This only proves that their primary concern is not the patients' welfare. What happened to the Hippocratic oath?
You are wrong, they have lost the sympathy of the public already. These doctors are always quick to make reference to conditions obtainable in western countries, but they will never mention how many doctors there operate private clinics where they spend 70% of their time , leaving 30% for the public hospital where they are employed. These people are just greedy, insensitive and arrogant.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Combat Pimples? / Iran Reports 49 New Coronavirus Deaths, Highest Single-day Toll / 19m Nigerians Living With Hepatitis – FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.