Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,232 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:10 AM

Your Modified Camry ' S - Any Model - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Your Modified Camry ' S - Any Model (34742 Views)

Check Out My Modified 05 RX330 On 22inch Wheels / Experts In Any Model Of Hyundia Cars / EYE CANDY: Modified Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Modified Camry ' S - Any Model by Shagati(m): 6:00pm On Aug 11, 2014
Bossforeva: is that ur BMW 325 hood?

Lol, yes wink
Re: Your Modified Camry ' S - Any Model by Jacksolo4me(m): 11:34am On Aug 14, 2014
Need help with this.....Most Top CAI manufactures boast a HP gain of 3-8HP increase.This one gives an increase of bout 5hp

I know the advantage of having CAI installed,

What bothers me.

"Is how the MAF sensor behaves afterwards".

Advantage over stock on MAF behavior.
Changes in the fuel consumption.
Idling.
Throttle response.

Be glad if anyone with experience with using em could help!

It's a Takeda Cold Air Intake.and I already ordered it.

Re: Your Modified Camry ' S - Any Model by Nobody: 12:19pm On Aug 14, 2014
I have been tuning, boosting, building and modifying different engines since the early '90's.

Till date, I have not come across ANY aftermarket cone filter / CAI that gives any appreciable horsepower increase over the USEFUL rev range. Sure, some may give an increase of 5 hp over stock at let's say 3,000 rpm. Then dip to -7 hp at 4,700 rpm. If you look at a graph of a typically CAI'd engine on a dyno, you'll see lots of dips and troughs in the power curve.

Gaining 7 hp, then losing 13 between 1,000 and 7,000 rpm is pointless. The important area to look at in a power curve is the area beyond 5,250 rpm. This is the area where torque and hp curves cross. Any power gain from a CAI BELOW this area is NOT useful. It's the area "beyond the curve" that counts.

CAI's are generally NOT MAF friendly. Some top-end CAI's have larger air spaces, to allow the engine breathe better. These will need periodic oiling, to trap dust. This oil and the MAF hot film don't go well together. Oil kills a MAF. CAI's also increase fuel consumption, as is expected. More air = more gas to avoid lean-running.

Also, installing a CAI is NOT straight forward. The MAF often needs scaling to match the CAI size, something DIY fitters seldom do. The result is a noisy engine, with massive holes in the power curve.

Lastly, HEAT. How many users box off the CAI from the exhaust, so the engine doesn't draw in hot air, which is less dense, and power-robbing compared to cold air? Even when boxed off, the air the engine breathes is still going to be warm, at best.
Re: Your Modified Camry ' S - Any Model by Jacksolo4me(m): 1:07pm On Aug 14, 2014
Siena: I have been tuning, boosting,moulding and modifying different engines since the early '90's.

Till date, I have not come across ANY aftermarket cone filter / CAI that gives any appreciable horsepower increase over the USEFUL rev range. Sure, some may give an increase of 5 hp over stock at let's say 3,000 rpm. Then dip to -7 hp at 4,700 rpm. If you look at a graph of a typically CAI'd engine on a dyno, you'll see lots of dips and troughs in the power curve.

Gaining 7 hp, then losing 13 between 1,000 and 7,000 rpm is pointless. The important area to look at in a power curve is the area beyond 5,250 rpm. This is the area where torque and hp curves cross. Any power gain from a CAI BELOW this area is NOT useful. It's the area "beyond the curve" that counts.

CAI's are generally NOT MAF friendly. Some top-end CAI's have larger air spaces, to allow the engine breathe better. These will need periodic oiling, to trap dust. This oil and the MAF hot film don't go well together. Oil kills a MAF. CAI's also increase fuel consumption, as is expected. More air = more gas to avoid lean-running.

Also, installing a CAI is NOT straight forward. The MAF often needs scaling to match the CAI size, something DIY fitters seldom do. The result is a noisy engine, with massive holes in the power curve.

Lastly, HEAT. How many users box off the CAI from the exhaust, so the engine doesn't draw in hot air, which is less dense, and power-robbing compared to cold air? Even when boxed off, the air the engine breathes is still going to be warm, at best.

A friend suggested have a long tube instead of a short tube CAI n the tubing fabricated to an area of the the engine bay - unfortunately I haven't da space for that.(does this help the heat problem associated with them? )

The Camry rarely goes beyond the 5000rpm range - hell even on longer drives - bummer on that one.

So here's what bugs me....There must be some truth in d gain advertised...I understand a lil bit of the HP/Torque Curve.'Say a gain or loss of 3-8HP is where EXACTLY (or from experience which rev range),:-Low end, Mid range or Top?

Can they be tuned to a particular rev range Or you just have to try out as many CAI to get an appreciable HP gain at the "Sweet spot"-max HP/max Torque?

As with Cam tuning where a gain in the low low end is followed by a loss at the top end..is this applicable to CAI ' S?

I do understand the perks associated with CAI"s and alot is doubly confirmed by you-
But why do tuners do run them if they have these downsides over stock intakes?

Is there some kinda magic "doors open HP increase" before and after mapping it in tune with the stock ECU

Thanks for the reply Siena. .I hope I'm not about to spend cash on a gain that isn't worth it.
Re: Your Modified Camry ' S - Any Model by Jacksolo4me(m): 1:27pm On Aug 14, 2014
And also I'd be hella grateful if you could enlighten me on the Chip tunning(non OBDII and OBDII)of a stock ECU...

Pros and Cons of custom mapping a stock ECU
Is it Efficient in terms of Engine Life and Durability?(manufacturers say yes - I'd need a hands on say)
Does it have to be a specific product for a brand of car or could any stage 1 performance chip piggy back right in with my stock ECU(my camry)?
What's da worse that could happen if I tried doing it myself? grin

Here's a pic of one i found on a Camry engine bay close to da ECM

Re: Your Modified Camry ' S - Any Model by Nobody: 2:10pm On Aug 16, 2014
Siena: I have been tuning, boosting, building and modifying different engines since the early '90's.

Perfect response.

I've installed many CAI, the intention wasn't to necessarily gain more hp/torque (though I did gain some when it was included as part of other installs such as full exhaust, chip, etc) but mostly was done to beauty the engine bay.

What I tell folks is to open the hood of the fast cars and see if they have CAIs.

OP, open the hood of a AMG's, M's, etc and see if they have CAI.
Re: Your Modified Camry ' S - Any Model by Nobody: 2:13pm On Aug 16, 2014
Jacksolo4me: And also I'd be hella grateful if you could enlighten me on the Chip tunning(non OBDII and OBDII)of a stock ECU...

Pros and Cons of custom mapping a stock ECU
Is it Efficient in terms of Engine Life and Durability?(manufacturers say yes - I'd need a hands on say)
Does it have to be a specific product for a brand of car or could any stage 1 performance chip piggy back right in with my stock ECU(my camry)?
What's da worse that could happen if I tried doing it myself? grin

Here's a pic of one i found on a Camry engine bay close to da ECM

This Camry has a turbo so it's a different animal.

The ideal way is to program the ECU for your specific upgrade.

The best way is to get your car on a dyne and then program a chip for that.

Most of us can't so the really good shops will ask you for your upgrades and then program a chip based on previous experiences.
Re: Your Modified Camry ' S - Any Model by Jacksolo4me(m): 9:20pm On Aug 16, 2014
CityNG:

This Camry has a turbo so it's a different animal.

The ideal way is to program the ECU for your specific upgrade.

The best way is to get your car on a dyne and then program a chip for that.

Most of us can't so the really good shops will ask you for your upgrades and then program a chip based on previous experiences.

That sure makes sense.i kept wondering why cars like the mercs n Bm'er don't have a cone shaped CAI instead of the box (to shield in da warm air from the engine bay - less dense air charge).thanks CityNG for that.

Like the Honda B16 and K20A motors I saw in da car shows I went on.
Most had a CAI installed and had usually done Stage 1 engine mods - No turbos.-Intake, Headers, ECU and exhaust work

I wish to go the same route on the camry.And would be taking on the project this September.

I'm hoping I can get a modest 35 - 50hp if done correctly.

Is it possible to run all the stage 1 mods without having a dyno to actually tell if there is any "reasonable power/torque made over the Usable Rev range"?

I don't even know if there is a dynometer in Nigeria, I believe though it should be available Just need to find out extensively.

Do hope I'd get your support in knowledge - I'm also doing a lot of research and readouts(Siena, CityNG, KA24DETT and a host of other bright minded sirs we have on Nairaland).

Thanks for the explanations.
Re: Your Modified Camry ' S - Any Model by Nobody: 9:37pm On Aug 16, 2014
Jacksolo4me: Like the Honda B16 and K20A motors I saw in da car shows I went on.
Most had a CAI installed and had usually done Stage 1 engine mods - No turbos.-Intake, Headers, ECU and exhaust work

I wish to go the same route on the camry.And would be taking on the project this September.

I'm hoping I can get a modest 35 - 50hp if done correctly.

I can guarantee you, you won't get anywhere near 50hp. You would struggle to get 15hp with external modifications, on a naturally-aspirated engine. Exhaust, intake mods and a remap MIGHT net you 10-12hp. For bigger gains, you'll be looking at head work, and a capacity increase (strokers work well).

Or go with a turbo conversion. You can run 6psi with stock internals, larger injectors, uprated FPR and a remap to suit.

But no, the mods you listed will not give you big gains. They'll improve driveability, make the engine more responsive, and power gains will be around 12hp.
Re: Your Modified Camry ' S - Any Model by Nobody: 10:01pm On Aug 16, 2014
Disclaimer: No app will ever match the result of a true dyno.

But I have had excellent luck with iPhone/Android apps such as Dynoliscious and stand alone measuring devices like GTech Pro.

They get me to be really close to what real dynos measure.

I can make changes and do a run and compare results to see the effects.

To get reasonable improvements on a car, you will need to cram the block open and install stroker kits, etc (change from 2.0 to 2.3, 2.5 etc) improve breathing in the cylinder heads and capacity.

The only worthwhile external mods is adding forced induction or nitrous kits.

No offense guys but having spent the past 3 weeks driving in Nigeria I had no desire to increase the performance of my Isuzu Rodeo, why you guys are clamoring for more power is beyond me.
Re: Your Modified Camry ' S - Any Model by Jacksolo4me(m): 10:32pm On Aug 16, 2014
Siena:

I can guarantee you, you won't get anywhere near 50hp. You would struggle to get 15hp with external modifications, on a naturally-aspirated engine. Exhaust, intake mods and a remap MIGHT net you 10-12hp. For bigger gains, you'll be looking at head work, and a capacity increase (strokers work well).

Or go with a turbo conversion. You can run 6psi with stock internals, larger injectors, uprated FPR and a remap to suit.

But no, the mods you listed will not give you big gains. They'll improve driveability, make the engine more responsive, and power gains will be around 12hp.

Was just on with a friend and I told him the gains I wanted for my camry. ...Siena u went easy on me...."Let's just say he laughed for like 20 secs, said I read import tuner alot n said to sell the car and buy a car that'll give me 50hp more than what my camry was putting"

So I guess 12 hp over stock shouldn't be worth blowing close to 250k.

Thanks Siena. Better now than later.
Re: Your Modified Camry ' S - Any Model by Jacksolo4me(m): 10:42pm On Aug 16, 2014
CityNG: Disclaimer: No app will ever match the result of a true dyno.

But I have had excellent luck with iPhone/Android apps such as Dynoliscious and stand alone measuring devices like GTech Pro.

They get me to be really close to what real dynos measure.

I can make changes and do a run and compare results to see the effects.

To get reasonable improvements on a car, you will need to cram the block open and install stroker kits, etc (change from 2.0 to 2.3, 2.5 etc) improve breathing in the cylinder heads and capacity.

The only worthwhile external mods is adding forced induction or nitrous kits.

No offense guys but having spent the past 3 weeks driving in Nigeria I had no desire to increase the performance of my Isuzu Rodeo, why you guys are clamoring for more power is beyond me.

Why does one stir at a beautiful bar girl when u've got a wife at home, Even though the road to winning her attention is rough and most probably we'l cost u ever so dearly? grin

Thank God it's a car.

I guess it'l be safe to say it's a person's desire, satisfaction and contentment.

Which your average person world over-myself inclusive suffers greatly from.

Thanks CityNG, I wished we had shops that could do block work and a Remap to suit the changes.

I would have loved to take on this project but putting all my odds together..it seems I'm a long way off getting a Camry that'l terrify most mid size sedans.

The learning curve and resources involved is steep. But I'll keep it a side project.
Re: Your Modified Camry ' S - Any Model by Nobody: 12:06am On Aug 19, 2014
teebaddest: Did this myself simple DIY stuffs hope u guys like it...change the head lights and added LED's... Blacked out the front grill and Al the chrome at the back...... blacked out my wheel covers....changed the CD player to a cool and more modern JVC CD player......added some carbon fibre materials to the dash and doors.
Did you get your headlamps here in Nigeria or you ordered for it from overseas?
Re: Your Modified Camry ' S - Any Model by Jacksolo4me(m): 12:31pm On Sep 02, 2014
Countdown to New Mods.......

Re: Your Modified Camry ' S - Any Model by talk2odim: 4:25pm On Sep 02, 2014
teebaddest: Did this myself simple DIY stuffs hope u guys like it...change the head lights and added LED's... Blacked out the front grill and Al the chrome at the back...... blacked out my wheel covers....changed the CD player to a cool and more modern JVC CD player......added some carbon fibre materials to the dash and doors.
Hello Chief how did u get the carbon fibre material and led lights for the fog light area. Thinking of doing same. Help out a brother out with info on how to get it and cost implication. Thanks.
Re: Your Modified Camry ' S - Any Model by Nobody: 9:14pm On Sep 03, 2014
Lol you mean you spent all this money on these fancy lights and you couldn't even get alloy wheels? Why exactly pls ? Do you have actual reasons for not getting alloys?
Re: Your Modified Camry ' S - Any Model by Nobody: 9:24pm On Sep 03, 2014
mikkyphp: I just placed an order for 2pcs of White H11 7.5W Car LED Fog Lamp Light Bulbs for DRL & 2pcs of HB4 7.5W Car LED Fog Lamp Automobile Light Bulbs for the Full light.
I reckon they should serve my purpose of improving visibility at Night!
How did this go pls ?
Re: Your Modified Camry ' S - Any Model by Nobody: 9:26pm On Sep 03, 2014
elbedso:
Lol you mean you spent all this money on these fancy lights and you couldn't even get alloy wheels? Why exactly pls ? Do you have actual reasons for not getting alloys?

Roflmao

2 Likes

Re: Your Modified Camry ' S - Any Model by Jacksolo4me(m): 9:45pm On Sep 03, 2014
elbedso:

Taste, parts/mods priority and overall the budget is pretty much the woes one faces when wanting anything aftermarket in a stock car.

I presume this may be the case so plz go easy everyone on whatever mod other than stock anyone does to his/her camry.
Re: Your Modified Camry ' S - Any Model by Chuckdee(m): 1:36am On Sep 04, 2014
Ok... so in the spirit of keeping the original idea of this thread alive, I will add my contribution and share with the good folks here grin

My whip is a 2007 Toyota Camry XLE V6 which I actually got via a pre-order deal from a member here on nairaland auto section last year october--Vincent Fowler (V.A Autos) who by the way is one great and different Nigeria going by the professional & sincere way he handled the business... uptill today, i hv never met him physically...

I am so loving and enjoying the smooth drive this car gives me because of the powerful 268HP V6 engine, coupled with the fact that it came with all the options toyota has available for the Camry (push-to-start, keyless entry doors,keyless boot access, everything powered, e.t.c)...everyone that gets inside simply says: your Camry is different cool

So, i decided to do a little albeit subtle modifications and keep the car as close to stock as possible since i am honestly quite happy with the premium package as it were.. Here is the list:

1. E&G Classics 2-Piece Black Ice Fine Mesh Style Grille w/Mirror Stainless Steel Surrounds (Custom hand made grille from the finest, took 3 weeks from order date to be delivered) from------- From www.carid.com
2. Muth Heated Signal Mirror Conversion Kit w/Amber LED's------- www.jcwhitney.com
3. Morimoto XB35 35 Watt HID Conversion Kit with HD Relay Harness 5000K H11 bulbs -H11 Relay Harness---www.theretrofitsource.com
4. MTEC 2X Super White H11 Bulbs (Stock Wattage) for Fog lamps -------www.amazon.com
5. Eonon 8 Inch Digital Touch Screen Car DVD Player with Built-in GPS for Toyota Camry + Nigerian Map (removed the factory head-unit because I needed my Nigerian maps from my previous car to work)---www.ebay.com
6. 12x for 2007-2011 Toyota Camry White Lights LED Interior Package With Sunroof--Changed all interior courtesy lights, vanity mirror lights, boot and number plate lights to brighter, energy efficient and sexier white LEDS----www.ledpackages.com

Re: Your Modified Camry ' S - Any Model by Chuckdee(m): 1:38am On Sep 04, 2014
More..

1 Like

Re: Your Modified Camry ' S - Any Model by Chuckdee(m): 1:57am On Sep 04, 2014
I think I am happy with these so far, maybe a change of Rims when these stock starts fading off. No CAI for me or struts lol. I rather channel the energy and funds in sourcing only genuine manufacturer recommended parts from the US which are not easily found in naija and they don't come very cheap either (such as 5w-30 full synthetic engine oil, OEM filters, Engine Coolant, original brakes, etc)but i get satisfied that my car runs optimally cool

2 Likes

Re: Your Modified Camry ' S - Any Model by sonety2k(m): 6:09pm On Sep 04, 2014
Chuckdee: More..

Lovely Ride .
Re: Your Modified Camry ' S - Any Model by AMvanquish: 7:46pm On Sep 04, 2014
Chuckdee: Here is the list:

1. E&G Classics 2-Piece Black Ice Fine Mesh Style Grille w/Mirror Stainless Steel Surrounds (Custom hand made grille from the finest, took 3 weeks from order date to be delivered) from------- From www.carid.com
2. Muth Heated Signal Mirror Conversion Kit w/Amber LED's------- www.jcwhitney.com
3. Morimoto XB35 35 Watt HID Conversion Kit with HD Relay Harness 5000K H11 bulbs -H11 Relay Harness---www.theretrofitsource.com
4. MTEC 2X Super White H11 Bulbs (Stock Wattage) for Fog lamps -------www.amazon.com
5. Eonon 8 Inch Digital Touch Screen Car DVD Player with Built-in GPS for Toyota Camry + Nigerian Map (removed the factory head-unit because I needed my Nigerian maps from my previous car to work)---www.ebay.com
6. 12x for 2007-2011 Toyota Camry White Lights LED Interior Package With Sunroof--Changed all interior courtesy lights, vanity mirror lights, boot and number plate lights to brighter, energy efficient and sexier white LEDS----www.ledpackages.com

Nice Ride.. The items you ordered, were they delivered to you directly or did you do it with help from a 3rd party?
Re: Your Modified Camry ' S - Any Model by blazeup(m): 8:59pm On Sep 04, 2014
Dee daddy, Space booked.

1 Like

Re: Your Modified Camry ' S - Any Model by Chuckdee(m): 10:57pm On Sep 04, 2014
sonety2k:

Lovely Ride .

Thanks..
Re: Your Modified Camry ' S - Any Model by Chuckdee(m): 10:58pm On Sep 04, 2014
AMvanquish:

Nice Ride.. The items you ordered, were they delivered to you directly or did you do it with help from a 3rd party?

3rd party...
Re: Your Modified Camry ' S - Any Model by justi4jesu(f): 9:54am On Sep 06, 2014
Nice ride.

1 Like

Re: Your Modified Camry ' S - Any Model by mikkyphp(m): 10:39am On Sep 06, 2014
elbedso:
How did this go pls ?
Was collosal.
Immediately put back the stock halogens.
Though I have ordered a higher wattage halogen.
Re: Your Modified Camry ' S - Any Model by boycasio(m): 9:59pm On Sep 06, 2014
Seriously all dis cars ar awesome

1 Like

Re: Your Modified Camry ' S - Any Model by Jacksolo4me(m): 12:37am On Sep 07, 2014
Clean ride sir

Camry NEW MODS coming up....
-Ultra performance Bosch plugs.

-K&N Cold Air Intake with heat shield and stock airflow Channel retained.

-Audi style headlamps.

-8 point parking sensors(I've busted my rear a couple times n I hate having to go do body work just to keep da car clean-4 times already.

Would install soon.

KEEP EM MODDED CAMS coming

1 Like

Re: Your Modified Camry ' S - Any Model by pelumikorede(m): 10:09pm On Sep 07, 2014
Chuckdee: Ok... so in the spirit of keeping the original idea of this thread alive, I will add my contribution and share with the good folks here grin

My whip is a 2007 Toyota Camry XLE V6 which I actually got via a pre-order deal from a member here on nairaland auto section last year october--Vincent Fowler (V.A Autos) who by the way is one great and different Nigeria going by the professional & sincere way he handled the business... uptill today, i hv never met him physically...

I am so loving and enjoying the smooth drive this car gives me because of the powerful 268HP V6 engine, coupled with the fact that it came with all the options toyota has available for the Camry (push-to-start, keyless entry doors,keyless boot access, everything powered, e.t.c)...everyone that gets inside simply says: your Camry is different cool

So, i decided to do a little albeit subtle modifications and keep the car as close to stock as possible since i am honestly quite happy with the premium package as it were.. Here is the list:

I like these mods and would like similar of thesame but would like to know how you paid for them and how you were able to get them down to nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Acura Mxd 08 Or Lexus Rx330? / An Accident Involving A Drunk Driver At Ado Rd., Lagos (picture) / Mercedes Is Recalling The G65 Because It Can Go Too Fast Backwards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.