Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,829 members, 7,828,033 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:05 PM

African Time: The Bug In Our Systems - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African Time: The Bug In Our Systems (5931 Views)

African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? / African Medieval Military Systems Pre-colonial / Igbo Political Systems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by Etumgbe(m): 7:25am On Jul 21, 2014
Na babes do African time pass.

A girl can keep a guy waiting for more than 2hrs only to give one yeye excuse that her uncle is at home.
Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by Nobody: 7:27am On Jul 21, 2014
______
Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by myspnigeria: 7:40am On Jul 21, 2014
I so much hate african timing.....
Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by rman: 8:00am On Jul 21, 2014
Nice article.

If I am meeting someone for the first time and they actually conform with African time idea, I will never take such an individual serious.

A few people still keep to time, and I have noticed if you are opportuned to meet one, they are also good at what they do.

In fact, show me a man that keeps to time in Nigeria and I will show a man that is well on his way to become successful very soon. It is a core requirement of having integrity in my books

1 Like

Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by hydeka: 8:11am On Jul 21, 2014
BadBoy25:
Topic should be :Nigerian Time - the Bug in our system
I think anybody who reads the post and has good comprehension ability should be able to point out that the article is specific to Nigerians in this case. I did not see any generalization in the post. The thing is that, Nigerians call lateness 'african time'. i think that's why the topic is captioned as such.

1 Like

Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by Nobody: 8:14am On Jul 21, 2014
_______
Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by jaylorde(m): 9:25am On Jul 21, 2014
right now,I'm on my way to xkul 4 a lecture that is supposed to start by 9:00am.its 9:24am nw,d lecturer is nt available yet.
Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by Harmvirus(f): 9:36am On Jul 21, 2014
i'm guilty buh it depends
Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by EternalBeing: 10:23am On Jul 21, 2014
BadBoy25: Not all of Africa is the same . Africa is not equal to black people .plus there are numerous other native black settlements around the world . when you say africa , you also mean egypt,tunisia ,Libya,morocco algeria,ethiopia,namibia ,botswana .
Africa is not a black continent . there's not only one climate in africa. not everywhere in africa is like Nigeria.
Thanks so much. Please, open there minds more. All they do is ethnicity, tribalism etc... senselessly fighting one another, forgetting that they didn't chose to be born into their tribes, they could as well have been born into Morocco or Somalia... Let Jehovah be praised forever.
Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by Nobody: 10:41am On Jul 21, 2014
I used to try to be very punctual for events but I have declined significantly because I notice that it seems the norm in most places is outright disregard for time & schedule.
You get to a program on schedule & most times you will have to ask yourself 'na only me waka come'?
But if I'm meeting someone or attending a program for the first time, I still try to get there to time & observe the person or organization's regard for time.
Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by overhypedsteve(m): 11:59am On Jul 21, 2014
BadBoy25: Not all of Africa is the same . Africa is not equal to black people .plus there are numerous other native black settlements around the world . when you say africa , you also mean egypt,tunisia ,Libya,morocco algeria,ethiopia,namibia ,botswana .
Africa is not a black continent . there's not only one climate in africa. not everywhere in africa is like Nigeria.
it is called azfrican time take it or leave it, did the OP in his very long article state any scenario outside nigeria? NO! So why you dey vex
Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by Nduxzy: 1:08pm On Jul 21, 2014
That's the point!
If you are organizing a programme scheduled for 7am start immediately it's 7am by the time you make it a culture late comers will adjust!
bunmioguns: I once remember a lecturer back then, if he should organise a class at 7:00 am and you are now coming at 7:01 am, you will stay outside throughout the lecture... when we realised that he doesn't tolerate nonsense... we don't have choice than to abide by his rules...

the point I am driving at is that, let our leaders lead by example....

2 Likes

Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by Nduxzy: 1:29pm On Jul 21, 2014
That's Very Correct!
rman: Nice article.

If I am meeting someone for the first time and they actually conform with African time idea, I will never take such an individual serious.

A few people still keep to time, and I have noticed if you are opportuned to meet one, they are also good at what they do.

In fact, show me a man that keeps to time in Nigeria and I will show a man that is well on his way to become successful very soon. It is a core requirement of having integrity in my books
Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jul 21, 2014
I really do hate african time so much that on my wedding day, na me 1st wake up - then woke my train...b4 12 we were done wif the church service , peeps that had African time in mind were coming to the reception by 2pm...and as @ then we done dey round up sef. Even my cake woman fell victim, she kept the cake in the hall, then went home to sleep a lil according to her, say she felt we would be done with church by 1:30 (na crusade??) b4 she go come back, we done cut her cake, dey chop sef...no time @all. I am a veryyy time conscious person - to the extent that when I was single, if a guy invites me on a date, and he is not there @ the scheduled time, if I like am small...I fit give am extra 5mins, if he doesn't show up by then - am off.

4 Likes

Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by adedam007(m): 3:45pm On Jul 21, 2014
the ONLY time ‘African time' is not applicable in Nigeria is when it's time to share "some" MONEY! That is when "delay is dangerous"!
Got me laughing
Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jul 21, 2014
The african time syndrome has eaten deep like a canker worm into every fabrics that systematically hold us together ,Most people go to the churches late;I pray dy don't go to heaven late and be like the biblical virgins who missed out sameway some muslims are fond of going to mosques late on fridays,u see them running to join the que, in my school if an exams is scheduled for 3:00pm expect it by 3:30pm or few minutes past 3:00pm,sometimes I just ponder only to wonder if Nigeria's Vision 20:20:20 will not just be another case of african time.

#African Time a disease we need to cure by changing our attitudes towards time...
Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by jaylorde(m): 10:56pm On Jul 21, 2014
Kachisbarbie: I really do hate african time so much that on my wedding day, na me 1st wake up - then woke my train...b4 12 we were done wif the church service , peeps that had African time in mind were coming to the reception by 2pm...and as @ then we done dey round up sef. Even my cake woman fell victim, she kept the cake in the hall, then went home to sleep a lil according to her, say she felt we would be done with church by 1:30 (na crusade??) b4 she go come back, we done cut her cake, dey chop sef...no time @all. I am a veryyy time conscious person - to the extent that when I was single, if a guy invites me on a date, and he is not there @ the scheduled time, if I like am small...I fit give am extra 5mins, if he doesn't show up by then - am off.
I smell lies *jst a thought though *
bt if na money ish,believe me na american time I go use(dats 15 minutes early)
Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by antartica(m): 12:21am On Jul 22, 2014
In a way I love African time,man doesn't have to hurry unnecessarily too much for nothing really. Being on the key pace to nowhere. But lack of time discipline in totality in Africa leads to gross irresponsibilities that is dentrimental to a coordinated and efficient human existence.

There should be a harmonious balance between being in restless fast pace nowhere and taking things a little slow. The only place hurries to in the end is the grave,I mean.
Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by Onyiido: 10:08pm On Jul 22, 2014
Op, when u get to romans, do like the romans. This is nigeria, so the tendency of this african time will never stop ooo unless
Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by Mandume: 11:29pm On Jul 22, 2014

There are black people in all those countries that you mentioned. Black people (i.e people with brown skin) are the ONLY INDIGENOUS peoples in Africa. The others are there due to migrations & slavery, they're not AFRICANS..

But other than that, it's not smart to lump all the countries together as one. What which may be accepted in Nigeria might not fly in Namibia, or anywhere else for that matter. That being said, being punctual is more important in business/educational situations, i.e situations which bring the country forward. Being 10 min late for a dinner-party isn't exactly a big-freakin-deal.

I grew up in Norway, at uni level (unless there's an obligatory seminar you have to attend or something) , people come & go as they please. You're obviously expected not to interfere (noticeably) with the lecture(r), but it's not like you can't attend a lecture because you arrived late. It's all done in big auditoriums anyway, so there's no way for the professor to do anything really..

(1) (2) (Reply)

Neanderthal Dna Exist In Yoruba And Khoisan / Ijesha Indigene Go Here! / Some English Words With Nigerian Origin! Unbelievable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.